Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

loving :lol:

e:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yes, uptime is definitely a wholly irrelevant thing to online anything, and The Cloud©®™ definitely cancels out all uptime considerations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
To the casual viewer, you might think that the performance is tanking because of the physics engine trying desperately to fit two entities into the same space, while failing that.

In reality, its because those two ships shouldn't occupy the same space and the physics engine is making GBS threads itself while attempting to fix the issue.

Did Lando say the same thing twice? Yes, yet you can see in realtime that he is getting dumber by the minute!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Tippis posted:

Yes, uptime is definitely a wholly irrelevant thing to online anything, and The Cloud©®™ definitely cancels out all uptime considerations.

"What is uptime anyways?"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1166405031173791744

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sometimes I ask myself "How do these people not understand how code works and how easy it is to simply modify values in order to have something that works flawlessly in both single-player AND multiplayer" and then I realize I'm staring at a 10-piece chicken mcnugget meal and I forgot the barbecue sauce.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Good grief Uncle Derek went on a rampage a couple days back.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I refuse to believe this is fake, and also refuse to believe that Chris has run more than 4 hours in his entire life.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm not a programmer, but this strikes me as either total bullshit or incredible inefficiency if true. Can anyone with more experience give their take?

Here's how you know it's fantasy bullshit:

A Citizen is saying it in order to excuse something CIG has said or done.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

monkeytek posted:

"What is uptime anyways?"

"Thank you for playing Star Citizen on this server."

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Grubby Hobo posted:

"Thank you for playing Star Citizen on this server."

:golfclap:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
!Fun Fact!

Chris Roberts doesn't follow Cloud Imperium Games on twitter.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Colostomy Bag posted:

Good grief Uncle Derek went on a rampage a couple days back.

Well post that poo poo, then. I mean, unless he was just doxxin' motherfuckers

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I refuse to believe this is fake, and also refuse to believe that Chris has run more than 4 hours in his entire life.

He probably runs about as well as his tech demo does tbh :D

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Hav posted:

Slightly more seriously; the 1600 people per instance was based on simulated agents on a local machine and a misreading of Moore's law in terms of networking.

Did they actually cite Moore's law with regards to networking? Because I'm not really sure what transistor density has to do with network bandwidth.

(This is your daily reminder that Moore's law is often completely misunderstood and mis-cited in technology discussions.)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I can 100% believe Chris got duped into buying a bunch of Brain Force Plus or whatever. I am slightly more skeptical about his activities while on that Brain Force Plus.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

I cannot parse this. I don't even know what they are trying to say.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Tippis posted:

It's more uptime on the service rather than any server.

If you have a service consisting of say 20 instances, you should be able to just kill off any instance without poo poo hitting the fan.

The number of instances tends to be dynamically scaling vs "load" anyway, meaning at any time your service can purposefully kill of an instance, say at 3am when you're overcapacity.

reverend crabhands fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 28, 2019

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Star Citizen: The Only Supplement You'll Ever Need

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

I can't possibly believe that Chris is using his old Star Citizen scam to push his new MLM snake oil scam. The world just can't be this perfect :allears:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

THIS PHYSICS GRID WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!!!!

the only thing this "half-game" gets right is the framerate!
a butter smooth 15 frames just like it is supposed to be

:shrek:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Foo Diddley posted:

Well post that poo poo, then. I mean, unless he was just doxxin' motherfuckers

There are literally 100. I got tired of scrolling.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

:same:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

I can 100% believe Chris got duped into buying a bunch of mysterious white powder or whatever. I am slightly more skeptical about his activities while on that stuff.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Built-in audience of thousands of nerds who will do whatever he says? He'd be crazy not to pivot into hawking nutritional supplements. Just sign up for a 6 month supply to save 20% off Commando Energy pills with yohimbe and arginine and get ready to game harder, longer, faster.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

peter gabriel posted:

I played a bit of Just Cause 3 last night and it constantly surprises me that pretty much any and all games absolutely poo poo all over Star Citizen and do things without fuss or fanfare that the citizens would be high fiving each other over for months.
I stood on top of a moving tank while tethering helicopters together, that alone would set redit alight for weeks, CI¬G would call it 'Object Interactivity Meshing gently caress Yeah' or some such poo poo

Super tethering kinecticism tm

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

reverend crabhands posted:

It sounds likely, and could it be related to the missing potatoes somehow.

Inspector Lesnick comes out of retirement for one last thrilling riddle: The Teaser of the Transient Tubers!

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Baxta posted:

I cannot parse this. I don't even know what they are trying to say.

Star Citizen is good.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

can this be true? this is on a strangler42-yellow-press-level
holy guacamolee. i was about to translate a "dinner report" from a german visitor (in fact from germany's number one fan from gamestar). If i find it again i may do this. one part was:
"when the demo pc crashed chris disappeared and went to the bar. then i saw him on the balcony with a beer in his hand."

edit: if this is true, then chris is ruining his health with whatever substances. and then it's not funny anymore i'm afraid.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 28, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm not a programmer, but this strikes me as either total bullshit or incredible inefficiency if true. Can anyone with more experience give their take?

Like, if you need a client-side server to spawn things, wouldn't Cryengine/Lumberyard already have this functionality, being a game engine made for SP and MP games? Why do you need this new system to do something it can already do?

It is bullshit, in a single player game they can use their client-side OCS. The single-player server would run the CSOCS and share the objects with the single-player client since there is only one client and one server. It's basic stuff.

Cryengine doesn't do this because there is no need to do so in their games, all clients load all the poo poo in the map so the server just does some basic message forwarding, cheat detection, and so on.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Soon his body will turn red and he will begin shouting about Derek Smart worshiping Moloch at Bohemian Grove. I am ready for Crobberts' transformation into Alex Jones.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

I want to believe this is real.

Because, respect to the hustle CR.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Othin posted:

You're going to stand there and tell me that they haven't coded a full music playing and creation system? To my face you're going to say that the Space Turtle NPC I hire can't sit in the atrium and create never before heard music that I could then record and distribute throughout the galaxy? Are you really loving implying that I can't be Space Suge Knight smoking a cigar and wearing nothing but my Squadron 42 towel while I get a massage??

I’m sorry commando, it’s not in the game. But I’m sure with another hundred million dollars in funding all of you’re dreams can come true! Pledge now!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

C'mon now, this can't possibly be real.

Except if said pill manufacturer was secretly funding the dinner. :lol: (but then Crobbear wouldn't have forgotten the name)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Quavers posted:

loving :lol:

e:

quote:

Bearded-CIG@Bearded-CIG
Today at 8:06 pm
Were we to use a traditional server hosting model, this would be the correct answer. I've played my fair share of online games as well ^_^

However, given that we have goals of using server meshing and depending on how it ends up working ( we're getting into hypotheticals that are outside of my area of authority ), the act of staying online to remain in a specific server may prove to be something beyond the players control if the mesh automatically migrates them from one server to another based on supply and demand. In that case, it ends up being as long as needed rather than as long as possible.

The answer that ends up being arrived at for this question will really depend on how the technologies we're working on end up functioning. I was more asking to invite people to hypothesize on the idea since there isn't currently going to be a concrete answer to the question with regards to Star Citizen. Things that are in development always have a chance to change if unforeseen issues arise.

:laffo:

8 loving years in early days chaps, early days.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

GMC Presents Multi-'verse-amins, by Chris Roberts.

That being said, I doubt very much that CR, on his own volition, decided that "brain pills" was the right answer to his stress problems. Someone influential said "Here these will help".

And Chris, as unlikely as it realistically is, might not have been able to offer a response to dismiss such an argument.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
If I were a political cartoonist I'd draw a picture of the Crobbler with a shirt labelled "CIG" running while throwing a steak over his shoulder labelled "SSOCS" to a pursuing pack of wolves labelled "Disgruntled Backers."

But I'm not, so my vivid description must suffice.