Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

bewbies posted:

Last year a fellow wrote a really incredible cookbook that anyone with even a passing interest in culinary history should buy, right now.

Hell yes. Ordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Is there an equivalent of Wages of Destruction for Japan?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Gonna toot me own horn a bit here:

https://twitter.com/Lord_Denton/status/1166942350708547584

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

The French Puma Orchidée (Orchid) Battlefield Observation helicopter comes from the acronym "Observatoire Radar Cohérent Héliporté d’Investigation"

Nope, me neither.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Le dongdar.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

CoffeeBooze posted:

I started down the rabbit hole of BBQ a few years ago and its taken me all over the place, even going so far as to start hunting so I can bring in my own meat. For some reason I never gave the history of BBQ much thought. Im really looking forward to reading this. Thanks!

Michael Twitty is awesome and food history in general is crazy interesting. I'm actually doing an oral history project this semester about how BBQ restaurants in Virginia, and how we ended up with a whole mishmash of styles here. I have some guesses that it has to do with the post-WW2 economic boom and people moving up from the deep south, but we'll see.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I bet you could do a great ethnography on regional US BBQ variations and socioeconomic conditions that created them. Especially since pretty much every major ethnic or cultural group in the US has some tradition of outdoor grilling.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

zoux posted:

Oh I bet you could do a great ethnography on regional US BBQ variations and socioeconomic conditions that created them. Especially since pretty much every major ethnic or cultural group in the US has some tradition of outdoor grilling.
Yeah... pretty much.. but not us :smith:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GUNS posted:

i love the past

Content. I am currently reading The Savage Continent, which is about tumult and chaos in Europe immediately post ww2, including ethnic cleansings carried out against Ukranians, Germans, Jews (again but not by Nazis this time), and people in the Balkans. This is a good book, and it's an important book, but if you do not feel like reading about terrible things happenign to human bodies, please do not read it. Trust me. I'm speaking as a 30yw researcher here.

Edit: If you think hostilities stopped in 1945, you're very wrong. In places there was a low (the baltics) or high (Greece) grade civil war going on, in addition to the ethnic cleansings. We talk a good game about the postwar period but really Europe was only "at peace" from like...1950 onward.

I can believe it. The war was so horrible in eastern Europe I'd have been surprised if there was not a bunch of low-medium intensity conflicts.

Stuff I'm reading right now: Rockets and People, Vol. 1. A free ebook translated by NASA, it's the first of a four-volume memoir of a engineer, Boris Chertok, who was a key Soviet rocket engineer. It's the 1930s right now and the great purges are devastating whole branches of scientific endeavor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah... pretty much.. but not us :smith:

Go get a cheeky nandos about it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

zoux posted:

Go get a cheeky nandos about it
That's also not us, but I may as well really.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sadly that bastard sun until recently* makes a poor show.

Which is a shame because goddamn I want BBQ even more now. This thread gave me the 3AM munchies last night.

*due to the wonders of climate change!

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Phanatic posted:

Is there an equivalent of Wages of Destruction for Japan?

I don't know about the economy at large, but Anthony Tully of Shattered Sword fame wrote an excellent synopsis on his website (which has tons of great information) on just how hosed Japan was in an industrial war:
http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Grumio posted:

I don't know about the economy at large, but Anthony Tully of Shattered Sword fame wrote an excellent synopsis on his website (which has tons of great information) on just how hosed Japan was in an industrial war:
http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm

Looking at the section on carriers is even funnier when you realize even with relative carrier parity as a result of the Japanese sinking every carrier at midway and never losing any of their own after the battle or during the entire war they still have around 50% fewer carrier planes available than the Americans due to carrier size and other variables. Even with every advantage it isn't a mountain to climb so much as reaching the moon.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 29, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

That's also not us, but I may as well really.

Our heritage is burgers burned into hockey pucks and sausages blackened on the outside yet somehow still raw on the inside. While being rained on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

feedmegin posted:

Our heritage is burgers burned into hockey pucks and sausages blackened on the outside yet somehow still raw on the inside. While being rained on.

This reminds me of the great Wolfgang the Bratty Man of the Cold War.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

feedmegin posted:

If you include getting attacked by black flies and mosquitoes it would the true story of my people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Simply place the pot of water upon the grill, once it reaches 100 C drop the sausages in

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Who wants to watch a bunch of dads try to break obsolete military equipment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBxdTkddHaE

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Time to repost the canonical Wolfgang story, from ARRSE. Includes mild punctuation/typo-fixing. (I like to imagine the three main British characters as George, Baldrick, and Blackadder.)

quote:

As a brand new Troop Commander [Royal Corps of Transport] on my first exercise [on Soltau]. On the first night move into a harbour area, everything seemed to be going swimmingly. Good light discipline, no bumps. Total silence, less the roar of the Drops.

Imagine my surprise when this lovely little van turns up in my harbour area with lights blazing and its bell ringing.

Imagine my further surprise when my soldiers, including the totally incomprehensible Georgis Staffie immediately switch off engines, jump out of cabs, and form a bloody queue beside the van.

I'm still standing there like a lemon wondering what the fcuk just happened, when my OC swans past asking if I wasn't bothering with a brattie, before joining the queue himself.

Whilst I wasn't the most attentive student at Sandhurst, I am absolutely positive that there was nothing in any of the manuals about this.

Ove the next two years I came to deeply admire the driving ability of this fellow who seemed able to put that van through areas that we had just had to recover half a Squadron from. Wasted as a purveyor of fast food. Bloody excellent cross country driver.

Marvellous.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I feel so patriotic.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Siivola posted:

Who wants to watch a bunch of dads try to break obsolete military equipment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBxdTkddHaE

This is cool, but the made-for-television expositionary conversations at the beginning are driving me nuts.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 29, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How did militaries before things like photographs and dog tags go about catching deserters? Like if I'm a frenchman from Picardy in 1793 and successfully ditch my uniform for some dutch peasant clothes at the siege of Maastricht, am I just hoping I don't run into anyone who'd recognize me? Are non-local francophone men just assumed to be deserters until proven otherwise? Do I get to try my hand at a dutch shibboleth? How many rando francophone men get taken for deserters and how many deserters get home?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FrangibleCover posted:

The French Puma Orchidée (Orchid) Battlefield Observation helicopter comes from the acronym "Observatoire Radar Cohérent Héliporté d’Investigation"

Nope, me neither.

French love their backronyms. Case in point, when MN rebuilt their Rubis SSNs they named the upgrade Amethyste - Amelioration tactique hydrodynamique silence transmission ecoute.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How did militaries before things like photographs and dog tags go about catching deserters? Like if I'm a frenchman from Picardy in 1793 and successfully ditch my uniform for some dutch peasant clothes at the siege of Maastricht, am I just hoping I don't run into anyone who'd recognize me? Are non-local francophone men just assumed to be deserters until proven otherwise? Do I get to try my hand at a dutch shibboleth? How many rando francophone men get taken for deserters and how many deserters get home?
in my period either you don't, or you send a dude or two to his home town to drink for a few months and eventually he shows up and you bring him back

in the 18th century you pay civilians to turn them in. ilya berkovich has a graph arguing that the more you pay civilians to bring in deserters, the fewer people will attempt to desert because of the perception of deterrence.

after years of soldiering they have different body language, apparently you can tell

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Before photographs, descriptions of people would include a ton of detail on their appearance, gait, clothing (most people had little clothing to change into), accent and languages spoken, etc. As much as everyone could remember. If you had an ambiguous situation, you'd use eyewitnesses to an incident and people who knew the person to corroborate their identity.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
An olde bounty hunting story could be sweet as hell

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
By the way, do we have WWII stories of liberated locals helping out the Allies or whatever? Like, a US unit liberates Pomme-dy-Terre and some old shepherd comes "oui oui, amis Americaines, ze Boche, zey have a posission in ze hill, but me, I know some path secraite, follow moi" or something.

Trin Tragula posted:

Time to repost the canonical Wolfgang story, from ARRSE. Includes mild punctuation/typo-fixing. (I like to imagine the three main British characters as George, Baldrick, and Blackadder.)

Marvellous.

I'm so loving glad to find out that he's real and not just some copypasta.

FrangibleCover posted:

Nope, me neither.

Everyone just focused on the CEASAR part and nobody saw the inherent humour in the French naming their future Euro artillery piece just "truck with a gun."

Like, compare it to Eurofighter Typhoon, for example.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
guys, it's because orchid is greek for balls

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

just found out that hitting people with rifles is called butt-stroking

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JcDent posted:

By the way, do we have WWII stories of liberated locals helping out the Allies or whatever? Like, a US unit liberates Pomme-dy-Terre and some old shepherd comes "oui oui, amis Americaines, ze Boche, zey have a posission in ze hill, but me, I know some path secraite, follow moi" or something.

I worked with an ancient bartender 20 years ago.

He was a French Algerian Jew and took to the hills when France was invaded. He fought as a partisan until Operation Torch. Hitched a ride to England and joined the Free French and got trained as a tank driver. Lost 3 of 4 from his platoon in an ambush during the push to Paris. Entered Paris triumphantly in the armor column, got super drunk, pretty sure he hosed and blacked out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9o_Gras_Group

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Veritek83 posted:

Michael Twitty is awesome and food history in general is crazy interesting. I'm actually doing an oral history project this semester about how BBQ restaurants in Virginia, and how we ended up with a whole mishmash of styles here. I have some guesses that it has to do with the post-WW2 economic boom and people moving up from the deep south, but we'll see.

Some of my favorite episodes of the History of the World In 100 Objects podcast were the food related stuff. MacGregor describing how hunter gatherers coming together for a meal around the Jomon pot might have been an important part of forming and reinforcing cohesive communities was really interesting. Eating and it’s communal aspects are such an integral part of our lives that we kind of take them for granted. They’re also a huge part of our history. Hell, don’t the Vindolanda tablets or some other ancient letters home from a solider include bitching about the food?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CoffeeBooze posted:

Hell, don’t the Vindolanda tablets or some other ancient letters home from a solider include bitching about the food?
there's an ancient ostrakon from a soldier in israel asking for wine

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/science/send-more-wine-pottery-archaeology.html

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
If I rummaged around enough I might be able to turn up a letter from a friend serving in Afghanistan who asked me to help him smuggle in booze by mailing him Listerine bottles that had been filled with whiskey. It’s kind of remarkable how consistent soldiers are across history.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My grandpa was a generic dude in 1939 and a bleeding-heart nazi in 1946, apparently. Some soldiers aren't always the same.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

Hell, don’t the Vindolanda tablets or some other ancient letters home from a solider include bitching about the food?

I mean, they were stationed in Britain, and the North at that. Probably they were sick of chips with gravy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

feedmegin posted:

I mean, they were stationed in Britain, and the North at that. Probably they were sick of chips with gravy.

This was before the Columbian Exchange so they didn't even have any chips yet. Just gravy.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Pastinak make good chips.

E. I just realised that they are called parsnip in English...

Molentik fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 30, 2019

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My grandpa was a generic dude in 1939 and a bleeding-heart nazi in 1946, apparently. Some soldiers aren't always the same.

Because mine never talked about the war, for some years I thought he was a collaborator. Took me a while to learn that's the normal thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Turnips were potatoes before potatoes.