Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

Tell them to suck eggs

Yeah that’s the plan but how do I do that without being told to suck eggs in return when bonus time comes??

I’m about to be like hey here’s my solution give everyone at my level a 20% bonus to achieve parity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

HR hosed up and is trying to get you to cover for them as quickly and quietly as possible. Your response should essentially be a hard "nah," but you can color it however you wish.

Don't sign anything and don't even acknowledge the new offer unless someone from outside HR makes it clear that you will lose your job as a result. If they issue an ultimatum there's not much you can do, but that would be a pretty fuckin' stupid thing for them to do.

You have a signed offer with your bonus on it, no? If they come in short, show them your letter.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
if it’s a “target” bonus that didn’t come with quantifiable metrics then it was always total horseshit anyway. don’t sacrifice future negotiation leverage to save someone in HR face.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

yeah i mean a target bonus is pretty lol, who cares what if your paper says 20% theyll just give you 16% and say "see it says 'target' as in a goal"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's weird how many hr people are bad at doing paperwork which is like the entirety of their job

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qirex posted:

it's weird how many hr people are bad at doing paperwork which is like the entirety of their job

it's not that they can't do the paperwork, it's that they just don't care. and who can blame them?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
My understanding is that in the US your employer can change your compensation at any time. If this is true, then I'd probably try and take the approach of getting a higher total salary to compensate as I'd guess that they're going to lower the bonus amount anyway.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
If the company is large enough that HR is a department with multiple people, that $5k is a drop in the bucket for them and they should suck it up and deal with their mistake.

However, America, so lol at the idea of employee protections.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

given how the HR person is specifically avoiding having it in writing, it sounds like they personally hosed up and are trying to quietly paper it over ASAP

id just ignore it and tell them to talk to my manager about it if they bring it up again

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

given how the HR person is specifically avoiding having it in writing, it sounds like they personally hosed up and are trying to quietly paper it over ASAP

id just ignore it and tell them to talk to my manager about it if they bring it up again

Yeah this sounds good. You can do it politely, just ask them to confirm this is correct with your manager (cc them if they're cool). Whatever happens then at least your boss knows you got screwed, and hopefully he would care.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

it really blows me away how atrocious tech salaries are in london. what the gently caress, you guys

The majority of them are garbage given the cost of living. If you work in finance there are a lot in the 70-120k range depending on experience, and a few which are higher than that, however a lot of these are either super dull or have lovely working conditions. It's a nice city, I used to think it was the best place ever, but there are plenty of other cities (maybe not in England but certainly in the rest of the UK and in mainland Europe) with way higher QoL and pay which, while it would be a big cut if you were at the top end of what London offers, is for most people a good deal.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

isn't gbp/usd at like 1.2 at this point

seems like a good time to get the h*ck out

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it was like 1.4 before the referendum, lmao

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jabor posted:

i think you'll find that brexit is actually a wonderful opportunity for global britain to leave behind the antiquainted, undemocratic EU

also:

quote:

U.K.’s Boris Johnson Seeks Suspension of Parliament Ahead of Brexit
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-28/u-k-government-to-suspend-parliament-to-mid-october-bbc-says

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's already suspended. That whole country is hosed from the ground up.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

isn't gbp/usd at like 1.2 at this point

seems like a good time to get the h*ck out

Jabor posted:

it was down to 1.4 because the announcement of the referendum

historically it has been in the 1.50 to 2.00 range

the gbp is in the toilet and vacationing in london is like a giant tag sale

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

there's a good chance it will hit euro parity when brexit goes though

hell, there's a non-zero chance that it could hit dollar parity if things go badly enough

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The_Franz posted:

hell, there's a non-zero chance that it could hit dollar parity if things go badly enough

GW is good again and the point is poo poo: good time to be getting back into 40k?

:woop:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

i think you'll find that brexit is actually a wonderful opportunity for global britain to leave behind the antiquainted, undemocratic EU

also:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-28/u-k-government-to-suspend-parliament-to-mid-october-bbc-says

bojo discovers one weird trick from british north america! liberals hate it!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The_Franz posted:

Belize dollar parity

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pointsofdata posted:

Yeah this sounds good. You can do it politely, just ask them to confirm this is correct with your manager (cc them if they're cool). Whatever happens then at least your boss knows you got screwed, and hopefully he would care.

the answer here is that you’ve already accepted an offer. your compensation is no longer up to the recruiter, that contract is signed. they have no power to fire you. they can escalate it with HR and your management, but I doubt they will get far with that.

your boss should back you up and tell them to get hosed if they try anything. if he doesn’t then it’s probably time to start looking for a different job anyway.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The company wouldn't ever allow you to renegotiate your comp because you didn't read it properly, after you've signed it, so there's no grounds for them to ask the same of you. They wrote the contract, there's no excuse for not knowing what's in it. A deal's a deal a deal.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!
Just interviewed a guy who answered the question of "Why do you want to work with us?" with "I need money and you are hiring."

I think I am going to hire him.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Reject him, his lack of complete and total piety to your company he knows nothing about and has absolutely no stake in all but confirms he is totally unqualified for this programming job.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'd probably hire him too but also you don't really want someone who is cynical about the job before they even start

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

I'd probably hire him too but also you don't really want someone who is cynical about the job before they even start

do you only hire juniors or liars?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Liars mostly, just like in every job

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

https://twitter.com/elliott_downing/status/1167162185832787968

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the needing money part is both obvious and implied. it's not really a great answer.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the only reason I go to work is because I need money. if I didn’t need money, I would not go to work. any other answer is a lie.

now you could argue that the question was intended to ask why he wanted to work with them in particular versus any other employer, but it didn’t.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yeah true, something like "why do you want to work here in particular?" is a better way to phrase it

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The question requires only a human answer to pass. If the person answers in a way that is actively grating or annoying then they fail, any further analysis is wasted effort.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Could argue that basic social awareness that the most literal answer isnt the full answer is being tested with that question.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"So uhh, if you had to come up with an estimate, how many ping pong balls would fit inside a Boeing 737?"
"That what you do here? Fill aircraft with ping pong balls?"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Sapozhnik posted:

"So uhh, if you had to come up with an estimate, how many ping pong balls would fit inside a Boeing 737?"
It's more of an aspirational goal for our company.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sapozhnik posted:

this is honestly the best response.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

asking clarifying questions is so much fun

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

The question requires only a human answer to pass. If the person answers in a way that is actively grating or annoying then they fail, any further analysis is wasted effort.

quote:

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I clearly died, succumbing to exhaustion and dehydration just after flipping the tortoise, a thing I only did in the first place due to my near-death dry-brain malaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

qhat posted:

It's already suspended. That whole country is hosed from the ground up.

No it isn't (yet), it's on recess i.e. on holiday. Yes, the timing's great, isn't it.