Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hey divabot,

My boss's boss's boss, who provides a lot of the projects we end up working on, apparently has an interest in blockchain.

I bought a copy of your book to give him. Wish me well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

XK posted:

Hey divabot,

My boss's boss's boss, who provides a lot of the projects we end up working on, apparently has an interest in blockchain.

I bought a copy of your book to give him. Wish me well.

AAAAAAAAAAA

i am so sorry

chapter 11 is the one specifically written for people where you are: self-defense weapons against the 50 foot blockchain

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

divabot posted:

The actual reason appears to be an ongoing SEC investigation into shenanigans regarding OSTK trading.

also, you know how he's not CEO and is not on the board? guess what, he can sell from his considerable holding any time he likes!!

That’s only true if he doesn’t have information access, and he is still almost certainly under 10b5-1 rules for another 6 months. It’s not the title that matters, it’s access to material non-public information. If they’re following a strategy he has above average information about, he still can’t trade unencumbered.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

divabot posted:

AAAAAAAAAAA

i am so sorry

chapter 11 is the one specifically written for people where you are: self-defense weapons against the 50 foot blockchain

I'm going to say it's a book my friend wrote.

We're friends right?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

XK posted:

I'm going to say it's a book my friend wrote.

We're friends right?

maaaaaaaaate you wave my book around in your office and I am your friend forever

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

divabot posted:

maaaaaaaaate you wave my book around in your office and I am your friend forever
What other things can people wave around their office to make goon friends? Asking for a friend.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Those Bitcoin checks, they're as good as a bank check!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So divabot - no posts about the Australian Satoshi losing a huge court case?

I honestly want to hear your take on it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

MrUnderbridge posted:

So divabot - no posts about the Australian Satoshi losing a huge court case?

I honestly want to hear your take on it.

I totally have a take on it!

That's my writeup of the judge's order - but I urge you to read the order itself. It's very clear, because the judge is very pissed off. He spends eight pages just calling Wright a loving liar.

Wright has not technically lost the case as yet - just functionally. The central issue of fact has been found against him, and almost all his defenses have been struck - because he was such a loving liar.

Note that facts for the purposes of this case don't necessarily have to have anything to do with the real world. Think of it as a pocket universe where Dave Kleiman mined a million bitcoins with Craig Wright.

So, when the case finally concludes - which could be six to twelve months - Wright owes $5 billion in bitcoins, that he never controlled, to the estate of the guy he didn’t develop Bitcoin with. All because he wouldn’t back down on his claim to be Satoshi Nakamoto.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Wow. That's really, er, something. So, in the grand scheme of things, this is good for bitcoin, right?

:bitcoin:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

divabot posted:

That's my writeup of the judge's order - but I urge you to read the order itself. It's very clear, because the judge is very pissed off. He spends eight pages just calling Wright a loving liar.

Wright has not technically lost the case as yet - just functionally. The central issue of fact has been found against him, and almost all his defenses have been struck - because he was such a loving liar.

So was the judge basically going like, I'm giving you 1 get out of contempt free card, how about you tell the truth tomorrow so I don't have to change this into a perjury trial?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

divabot posted:

I totally have a take on it!

Note that facts for the purposes of this case don't necessarily have to have anything to do with the real world. Think of it as a pocket universe where Dave Kleiman mined a million bitcoins with Craig Wright.

So, when the case finally concludes - which could be six to twelve months - Wright owes $5 billion in bitcoins, that he never controlled, to the estate of the guy he didn’t develop Bitcoin with. All because he wouldn’t back down on his claim to be Satoshi Nakamoto.
Using the current "price" of about 9.4k USD to one bitcoin, that means Wright must cough up...

530,223.26 bitcoins

Over half a million bitcoins.

Is there any functional wallet nowadays or exchange that even has 50,000 bitcoins in it?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Klyith posted:

So was the judge basically going like, I'm giving you 1 get out of contempt free card, how about you tell the truth tomorrow so I don't have to change this into a perjury trial?

I love all the small moments where the judge basically asks Wright if he's sure he wants to perjure himself and Wright just plows right along with the lies.

The part that I don't get, and I'm hoping someone can explain it to me, is why Wright is so adamant about at least theoretically being able to move the Satoshi bitcoin. Or, asked another way, why didn't he just say "back in before they were really worth anything, I destroyed all the private keys and now it's like a ship with a billion dollars in gold doubloons that was lost at sea".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can someone explain why him becoming Satoshi is worth the perjury? What would he stand to gain?

Is it a resume booster he was hoping leverage into some kind of tech job?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Bust Rodd posted:

Can someone explain why him becoming Satoshi is worth the perjury? What would he stand to gain?

Is it a resume booster he was hoping leverage into some kind of tech job?

so in 2011, Wright heard of bitcoin for the first time. (That's the earliest I can find evidence for.)

in 2013, he was buying bitcoin on Mt. Gox - he bought 17 bitcoins there at the absolute peak of the bubble.

in 2013-2014, he was in massive trouble with the Australian Tax Office for claims of tax rebates they were highly unimpressed by. They fined him $1.7m. His business couldn't make payroll. The ATO eventually raided his house in December 2015.

by mid-2015, having a good idea this was on the way, he struck a deal with gambling billionaire Calvin Ayre - on the claim that he was Satoshi Nakamoto. Ayre would clear his considerable debts, tax bill, payroll, etc. and ship him off to London to be Satoshi Nakamoto.

(I am told he was shopping around the documents to back this claim by late 2014, early 2015. He posted backdated entries to his blog around this time.)

late 2015 he came forth publicly as Satoshi Nakamoto, and everyone called him a fake

mid-2016, he did a huge press publicity thing to come forth publicly as Satoshi Nakamoto, used a fake key, and everyone called him a fake

the best writeup is Andrew O'Hagan's "The Satoshi Affair". It's really long, but really good. Ayre had brought in O'Hagan to write a sponsored bio of Satoshi - O'Hagan refused to sign a contract, he just came along as an independent but embedded journalist ... and detailed the facts.

so basically he started with a small claim that spiraled bigger and bigger

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

divabot posted:

gotta admit that seems pretty apropos for bitcoin

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

divabot posted:

the judge, in a previous document, included the Walter Scott quote "Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive"

and bolded it, and underlined it, and stuck it in the middle of a discussion of stuff Wright had said

lol

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I miss the whole butterfly labs affair. That poo poo was funny

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

divabot posted:

by mid-2015, having a good idea this was on the way, he struck a deal with gambling billionaire Calvin Ayre - on the claim that he was Satoshi Nakamoto. Ayre would clear his considerable debts, tax bill, payroll, etc. and ship him off to London to be Satoshi Nakamoto.

(I am told he was shopping around the documents to back this claim by late 2014, early 2015. He posted backdated entries to his blog around this time.)

ok then what was Ayre's deal? he paid cold hard cash to what effect, just so an obvious fake would be found out?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It was always funny to me because it topped the line about "the richest person during a gold rush is the one who sells the shovels", by amending it to "the one who sells a promise of a shovel".

It was all hilariously transparent, too.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

It was always funny to me because it topped the line about "the richest person during a gold rush is the one who sells the shovels", by amending it to "the one who sells a promise of a shovel".

It was all hilariously transparent, too.

I love how Josh flamed Customers on his private account ,it was separate,after all!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

those fuckers came back, too - with an ICO a few months, called AMMBR. It didn't go so well for the buyers.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

ok then what was Ayre's deal? he paid cold hard cash to what effect, just so an obvious fake would be found out?

the whole Bitcoin Cash thing was a few big guys lamenting at the paralysed failed governance of Bitcoin and thinking it needed sensible people at the helm, i.e. them. Ayre was one of those guys. Then he fell out with Jihan Wu and Roger Ver, and so BSV was born.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

how much did they pay FCKGW for buttcoin.org again?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

how much did they pay FCKGW for buttcoin.org again?

Five figures. But just barely five.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Azathoth posted:

The part that I don't get, and I'm hoping someone can explain it to me, is why Wright is so adamant about at least theoretically being able to move the Satoshi bitcoin. Or, asked another way, why didn't he just say "back in before they were really worth anything, I destroyed all the private keys and now it's like a ship with a billion dollars in gold doubloons that was lost at sea".

#1, I think there's gotta be a bit of mental illness going on for him to continue this charade. It's gone so very wrong, any sane person would give it up. At this point nobody believes his lies and he's gonna end up owning a zillion dollars to the estate of a dead man. You're supposed to scam the marks into giving you money, not the other way around!

Bitcoin isn't real, it's an incursion into our world from the Coen Brothers movie universe.

But, presuming that he's not so loopy that he actually believes he is Satoshi and has re-written his own memory to that effect, I think he needs people to believe he has the Satoshi fortune because the easiest way to grift people is to make them believe that you're rich. He's got zero technical skills that would make impersonating Satoshi useful, the only way he'd have relevance is with the money.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I love how Josh flamed Customers on his private account ,it was separate,after all!

There's still a few things I've missed. I mean, did they seriously not think that there would be legal problems from this? This wasn't just some rando on ebay selling some homemade rigs.

divabot posted:

those fuckers came back, too - with an ICO a few months, called AMMBR. It didn't go so well for the buyers.

Christ, why am I not surprised?

Is there a good summary on what happened? I kind of lost track of them a few years ago after the initial legal problems and the Y U NO SHIP? bullshit.

divabot posted:

the whole Bitcoin Cash thing was a few big guys lamenting at the paralysed failed governance of Bitcoin and thinking it needed sensible people at the helm, i.e. them. Ayre was one of those guys. Then he fell out with Jihan Wu and Roger Ver, and so BSV was born.

So he basically tried to buy a puppet ruler?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm surprised it took this long for this thread to involve Calvin "Can't fly through US airspace" Ayre. Now we just need Madoff mining monero with the prison laundry machines and cryptocurrency will officially be entangled with every grifter who ever made the papers.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Five figures. But just barely five.

For a second there I thought you were talking about age of consent laws in Bitcoiin land.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

DerekSmartymans posted:

For a second there I thought you were talking about age of consent laws in Bitcoiin land.
I swear judge, she said she was a ten thousand year old demon!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fleetwood Crack posted:

I swear judge, she said she was a ten thousand year old demon!

It’s jointer, yet honor. She seduced me with her bitcoins!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This might not be new, I haven't opened Opera in years. But apparently these days Opera comes with a built-in bitcoin wallet. :v:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
browse web 3 and use dapps, tho

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Foo Diddley posted:

browse web 3 and use dapps, tho

Yeet

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Dapp on them haters!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
“I wish there was more stuff you could do with cryptocurrency natively on browsers!”, said no serious loving web developer on the surface of Earth

EMoney
Jul 19, 2004
I was in line at 7-11 and had to wait because folks were just buying lottery tickets and wasting their money. I looked up a few sites to see how much Americans spend on the lottery and it was way higher than I thought.

Multiple outlets say that Americans alone spend $73 billion a year on the lottery. This includes all lotto games. In May we will see the amount of new BTC released into the system drop to 320,000 per year. Just doing some crappy math it seems like if that money for lottery simply went into BTC, that would be $221,000 per BTC on the newly minted BTC alone

This math is very independent of any factors other than throwing peoples lottery money straight into buying BTC but seems wild to me we are A) so stupid and spend so much money on the lottery and B) something as simple as switching this behavior over would quickly change everyone’s fortunes the way that they wish by playing the stupid lottery to begin with.

Sure people would sell their existing coins and dump em on the new sheep and sure the lottery degenerates would cash out and dump on themselves but with a constant infusion of this $73b that Americans alone are burning on gambling for quick riches should be a relatively easy thing in hindsight to grasp for people.

Penny slots, and every other gambling machine they are shoving down our throats ad a tax aside.

Happy Labor Day! BTC up 5%

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Posting to get in right on the ground floor after the big long rant about the lottery by some person mad they had to wait in line even though they're much smarter than the peons I didn't read.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTJAc0COA3k

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Lambert posted:

Posting to get in right on the ground floor after the big long rant about the lottery by some person mad they had to wait in line even though they're much smarter than the peons I didn't read.

i think that post might, in fact, be an unattributed quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

divabot posted:

...intelligent analysis...
Can you elucidate on the $1 Billion Bitcoin Transfer and Bakkt. I just got caught up on this thread from a few months of being behind and I'm astounded that BTC is still riding this amazing uphill wave.
One of my best friends (who is a coiner) argued with me just now that it's going to hit 20K by years' end.

I want to bet with him that it's all going to crash and burn, but appears the world has drank the Kool-Aid en masse?? Help me understand! BTW, I bought your book 18 months ago. So I know that much.:tipshat: