Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
:rolleyes: i said the next magic kickstarter oven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
I’m a big dumb baby-rear end idiot who got assigned a current events essay for an entry-level Information Security class, then waited around too long and let the obvious picks (Equifax, Yahoo, Sony, etc) get snatched up. can one of you fine folk point me toward a recent data breach/hacking story to research?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

go to hibp and take your pick: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

e: Chegg might be relevant to a student audience.

e2: vvvv- do that one

The Fool fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 27, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Apathy420 posted:

I’m a big dumb baby-rear end idiot who got assigned a current events essay for an entry-level Information Security class, then waited around too long and let the obvious picks (Equifax, Yahoo, Sony, etc) get snatched up. can one of you fine folk point me toward a recent data breach/hacking story to research?

the hush buttplug stuff that was posted in this thread a few pages ago

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shame Boy posted:

tbf the kind of people who are real into and real good at bbq are not the kinds of people who work at tech startups making idiotic garbage

if they wanted to make a good bbq product they'd probably have to, like, talk to a black person at least once, and where would they even find one of those??

the probes which wirelessly relay the readings to a dedicated remote unit are really handy for monitoring the actual smoker temperature without having to be right there. smoking a brisket can take 15-16 hours so I don't blame people for wanting to be able to roam a bit.

measuring the actual meat temperatures should be done with an instant read thermometer. the WiFi and IoT ones always seemed more of a gimmick than anything and it is not shocking that they are security dumpster fires like all other IoT devices.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Apathy420 posted:

The malwaretech case is an easy one if nobody else has taken it

CapitalOne was recent and a little more interesting than most breaches and there are a bunch of different angles you could use it as a jumping off point to discuss

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Apathy420 posted:

I dunno how recent you're looking for but saudi aramco is the ur-ransomware / destructive malware incident. Stuxnet is always fun to talk about too.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Apathy420 posted:

how recent is recent? I've always had a soft spot for the monstrously large bonnet that was made from DVRs and security cameras and which managed to take down a significant chunk of the internet in 2016 .

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

any bgp shenanigans are legit as well.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Iirc, most of what you all listed happened in the last 2 ish years and now I want to go live in a bomb shelter somewhere

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Apathy420 posted:

When I was in school we did a similar current events thing for a security class but it was 5 minute presentations. The first guy to do a presentation was the one guy who wore suits all the time and did his entire presentation defending white nationalism, not understanding that the professor assigning "current events" in a software security class implied "security current events".

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ThePeavstenator posted:

When I was in school we did a similar current events thing for a security class but it was 5 minute presentations. The first guy to do a presentation was the one guy who wore suits all the time and did his entire presentation defending white nationalism, not understanding that the professor assigning "current events" in a software security class implied "security current events".

please end this story on a high note somehow

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Beamed posted:

please end this story on a high note somehow

The professor kind of just awkwardly added at the end of the guy's speech something like "just so everyone is clear, this is supposed to be software security current events".

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 28, 2019

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Whatever the opposite "everyone stood up and cheered' is, that's what happened.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
yeah but, like, go on linked in and figure out if he works as a toilet janitor at clown college or if he's like a presidential appointee

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah but, like, go on linked in and figure out if he works as a toilet janitor at clown college or if he's like a presidential appointee

first one, then the other

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lain Iwakura posted:

https://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2019/Aug/24

i am the grill master who cannot visually determine if the meat is ready

tbf i am vegetarian so i wouldn't know somewhat

Lierda more like Mierda

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nomnom Cookie posted:

first one, then the other
:bisonyes:

spankmeister posted:

Lierda more like Mierda
:bisonyes:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

The professor kind of just awkwardly added at the end of the guy's speech something like "just so everyone is clear, this is supposed to be software security current events".

sir this is a mcdonalds drive-thru computer security classroom

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ThePeavstenator posted:

Whatever the opposite "everyone stood up and cheered' is, that's what happened.

everyone sat down and glared

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Abraham Lincoln took $100 from his wallet

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol i just got a scam call that i didn't pick up and my voicemail transcribed it. apparently my social security number has been suspended because of suspicious activity, and i have to contact the "Department of Social Security Administration Department" to "know more about this case" :ohdear:

... i just realized that that this scammer's fake idea of how SSN's work is actually more sensible than how SSN's actually work

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

lol i just got a scam call that i didn't pick up and my voicemail transcribed it. apparently my social security number has been suspended because of suspicious activity, and i have to contact the "Department of Social Security Administration Department" to "know more about this case" :ohdear:

... i just realized that that this scammer's fake idea of how SSN's work is actually more sensible than how SSN's actually work
but that is how ssns work? do you not pay the yearly renewal fee?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my yearly social security renewal fee is covered by my bill gates email payments

SuddenExpire
Jun 29, 2005

expired...

Shame Boy posted:

Was it in the classic TTS robot voice?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/1166506213527306241

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
guessing his password was "u"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

guessing his password was "u"

Probably "d", it wasn't strong enough or long enough

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Poorly secured smart ovens suddenly being powered on to start fires were one of the subplots in Mega Man Battle Network. Writers p.much had the prompt of "If internet-connected smart appliances were everywhere, how could everything go horribly wrong"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

klosterdev posted:

Poorly secured smart ovens suddenly being powered on to start fires were one of the subplots in Mega Man Battle Network. Writers p.much had the prompt of "If internet-connected smart appliances were everywhere, how could everything go horribly wrong"

Futurama has a robot revolution lead by a greeting card.

I don't think we're too far off from that.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Futurama has a robot revolution lead by a greeting card.

I don't think we're too far off from that.

haha

FAN BEATS MAN

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
taviso just recommended lastpass am i in a mirror universe

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/1167311357957435392

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
A very deep dive into iOS Exploit chains found in the wild

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-very-deep-dive-into-ios-exploit.html

The implant uploaded everything via http.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Love to have my kernel code read values directly from userspace, and then read them again assuming they haven't changed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/WPalant/status/1167318825873788928?s=20

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Media Bloodbath posted:

A very deep dive into iOS Exploit chains found in the wild

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2019/08/a-very-deep-dive-into-ios-exploit.html

The implant uploaded everything via http.
cool, also bizarrely this is getting a lot of coverage on the radio

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

EssOEss posted:

taviso just recommended lastpass am i in a mirror universe

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/1167311357957435392

I wish browsers had a password management API that i could just plug loving keepass into and bypass whatever lovely built-in method they had. All this outside plugins and half-rear end integrations are just painful to deal with.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

Also, holy loving poo poo

https://twitter.com/dcuthbert/status/1167187167275339776?s=20

:nsavince:

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

amazing save by PR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao dammit you said the thing we all know but that you're not supposed to say out loud!!!