Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Edmund Lava posted:

Mallory Jansen convincingly pulling off four different character in that arc was some really underrated magnificence.

She's the reason that remains my favorite season. Just watching her act is mesmerizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

CornHolio posted:

She's the reason that remains my favorite season. Just watching her act is mesmerizing.

I've loved her since Galavant, so seeing her (and John Hannah, who I also love) pop up on Agents of SHIELD was a treat.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

CornHolio posted:

She was up against Ian de Caestecker (most talented regular) and John Hannah (hugely talented guest) and she effortlessly held her own. She should be a much bigger name than she is, considering she acts, sings and you know, looks the way she does.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sloth Life posted:

She was up against Ian de Caestecker (most talented regular) and John Hannah (hugely talented guest) and she effortlessly held her own. She should be a much bigger name than she is, considering she acts, sings and you know, looks the way she does.

This. She is amazingly talented and gorgeous to boot. Not often all that appears in one package.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Season 6 dropped on Netflix, seems like this show is always on like a month after it ends. Time to rewatch on binge mode!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I just started mine, finished the episode where Ward and May talk

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Soonmot posted:

Yeah I just started mine, finished the episode where Ward and May talk

:allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"May, have I shown you photos of my dog? I still have it, of course, I'd never let anything happen to it."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Awwww, I forgot there was a Stan Lee cameo in this

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"May, have I shown you photos of my dog? I still have it, of course, I'd never let anything happen to it."

“Yes, you have shown them to me in that hotel room. Remember, when we just talked and did nothing else.”

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

But did Framework Ward shoot the dog?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

But did Framework Ward shoot the dog?

Hand got to Ward first in the Framework, so no.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Did people actually think they just talked or is that the joke?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did people actually think they just talked or is that the joke?

There was at least one person who thought that and we're still joking about it 6 years later

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Framework Ward raised that dog to be the goodest boy.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
Framework Ward probably had a cat instead but taught it dog tricks, because he has to be twisted and weird in some way.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
You can probably tell what episode I just hit on my rewatch of this show; the Fitz-Simmons time shenanigans gives the show an opportunity to undo what might be the worst mistake Agents of Shield ever made:

They can bring back Bobbi and Hunter.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bobbi isn't coming back for the same reason as always - she's got a much more prominent role on the Orville. At best we might get a cameo to help bid the show farewell.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Regy Rusty posted:

There was at least one person who thought that and we're still joking about it 6 years later

It's always great when there's at least one person who aggressively misunderstands what's happening on screen.

Back in the Dexter days, there were a bunch who refused to believe Edward James Olmos' character was a ghost.

In the Legion thread, there's at least one person who still refuses to believe the dance numbers mean mind fuckery is going on.

Then there are the great legends of "what is this, the local" and "I acquit" which will outlive us all.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Don’t forget the Lost threads; “Oh god, who stabbed Shannon?”

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or the dumb motherfuckers who believe they were dead the entire time.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

First thing I thought of. That was brutal to read.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Regy Rusty posted:

Bobbi isn't coming back for the same reason as always - she's got a much more prominent role on the Orville. At best we might get a cameo to help bid the show farewell.

That's fine, I actually just want more Nick Blood

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Namnesor posted:

That's fine, I actually just want more Nick Blood

So many marvel actors have better superhero names than their actual characteres - Cobie Smoulders, Sebastian Shan, Nick Blood

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Sebastian Shan

new knockoff x-men movie lookin good

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's always great when there's at least one person who aggressively misunderstands what's happening on screen.

Back in the Dexter days, there were a bunch who refused to believe Edward James Olmos' character was a ghost.

In the Legion thread, there's at least one person who still refuses to believe the dance numbers mean mind fuckery is going on.

Then there are the great legends of "what is this, the local" and "I acquit" which will outlive us all.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

We need a name for this phenomenon, like we have for Goon Faceblindness

edit: What was the one from Breaking Bad? Mike's voice? Somebody's voice...

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 17, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I call it Owl Creek Bridge Syndrome, because in high school I managed to get everything about the plot except for the occasional explicit sentence. "Wait, you think the visitor sent him into a trap?" "Yes, it says right here 'he was a Federal scout'." "Weird, I definitely read everything up to that sentence but have no memory of it."

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Hey so what is the general consensus from y'all on how good the latest season was? I followed the show since the start but the latest season didn't grab me after the first four episodes so I dropped it.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
Season 6 has two of my favorite episodes of the entire run of the show.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Its good. It is a slower start, but its good especially once the two crews are reunited. Also, you get more Deke and Fitz.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
In all honesty, I really miss them being actual agents of SHIELD. In the first season (despite all its problems till you know) the world seemed so much bigger, with all the different Shield locations and personnel and now for several seasons, it feels like they are just a bunch of super friends solving crime out of one of their parents’ basement. I know the in-universe and real life reasons for that, but it still all feels very small.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Metropolis posted:

Hey so what is the general consensus from y'all on how good the latest season was? I followed the show since the start but the latest season didn't grab me after the first four episodes so I dropped it.

It's in the top half of the show's seasons along with 2 and 4

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Metropolis posted:

Really good.

Not as good as season four, but definitely up there. It was a fun, wild ride.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Hmm. I thought Season 6 was solid as a whole but the finale disappointed me for a few reasons, more so when I thought about it later.

I suppose my main bugbear is the explanation for Sarge didn't really explain anything. So he's the same species as Izel and the alien part of him wants what she wants, but then why was he trapped in a human form that was obsessed with killing her? I feel like missed a vital line of dialogue or two that explained what was going on there. It just seemed like a hasty way to write off the character as the writers apparently didn't want a "watered down" Coulson joining the team, but to me this felt like a huge cop-out after all the mystery surrounding Sarge and his origins. It all pretty much went nowhere.

Also Sarge being bad all along means Mac's fundamentalist bullshit is proved right, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't object to the character having strong faith, but in this case it makes him come across as downright unhinged at times.

I was also annoyed by having main characters die and then immediately reversing the situation so it has no impact, it was forgivable last time round but to do it again just smacks of cheapness.

At least the next season has a strong set-up and I feel fairly confident the show will go out on a high.

I think Fitz & Simmons are the reason I keep watching to be honest, their storyline was the saving grace of the whole season, and any excuse to have Enoch still be around is worthwhile.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He was melded with Coulson when Coulson ghost ridered into his dimension. His memories were all jumbled and he conflated things to hate Izel but in the end he was just a god demon after all.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Maelstache posted:

Hmm. I thought Season 6 was solid as a whole but the finale disappointed me for a few reasons, more so when I thought about it later.

I suppose my main bugbear is the explanation for Sarge didn't really explain anything. So he's the same species as Izel and the alien part of him wants what she wants, but then why was he trapped in a human form that was obsessed with killing her? I feel like missed a vital line of dialogue or two that explained what was going on there. It just seemed like a hasty way to write off the character as the writers apparently didn't want a "watered down" Coulson joining the team, but to me this felt like a huge cop-out after all the mystery surrounding Sarge and his origins. It all pretty much went nowhere.

Also Sarge being bad all along means Mac's fundamentalist bullshit is proved right, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't object to the character having strong faith, but in this case it makes him come across as downright unhinged at times.

I was also annoyed by having main characters die and then immediately reversing the situation so it has no impact, it was forgivable last time round but to do it again just smacks of cheapness.

At least the next season has a strong set-up and I feel fairly confident the show will go out on a high.

I think Fitz & Simmons are the reason I keep watching to be honest, their storyline was the saving grace of the whole season, and any excuse to have Enoch still be around is worthwhile.

I have an explanation, but it wasn't explicitly stated in the show. The only thing explicitly stated is when the monoliths were blown up real good, since Coulson was standing right there and he was afraid of dying because of the Ghostrider deal negating the TAHITI serum -- that the monolith energy created another Coulson across space and time. Why not Deathlok who was also there? I don't know. Why would "fear of death" create an imperfect clone? I don't know. Does him being a creation of monolith energy explain why Izel and he are connected or why her homie Patchouli was stuck in his body? I don't know. Why was Izel able to easily take over bodies but everybody else needed a body that had been shriked first? I don't know.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I just got to the season 5 premiere and boy does Deke's first on-screen appearance really undersells what he becomes.

Edit: "This has to be the coolest we've ever looked."

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 19, 2019

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Tarquinn posted:

In all honesty, I really miss them being actual agents of SHIELD. In the first season (despite all its problems till you know) the world seemed so much bigger, with all the different Shield locations and personnel and now for several seasons, it feels like they are just a bunch of super friends solving crime out of one of their parents’ basement. I know the in-universe and real life reasons for that, but it still all feels very small.

Budget cuts have been very detrimental to the show, yeah, but it's still good.

Most notable thing is probably the contrast with how much effort went into Daisy's power sfx during the first few seasons compared to the airlasers of today, as well as the aforementioned parents' basement thing.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Metropolis posted:

I hated it. The mystery of Sarge was incredibly disappointing and the entire season was predicated on it and nothing seemed to be building on past events so much as "well, here's what we're doing now."

But it had some fantastic single episodes I'd put up there with the show's strongest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah, while the whole Sarge mystery thing kind of fell flat at the end, but there were so many other great threads. Jocko was a great character, and Snowbunny was a great injection of insanity. Techbro Deke and trying to connect with his grandparents was amazing. Cosmic Quake, the mission is Ladies Night!, Enoch getting a besty, all of that was excellent.