Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

redleader posted:

dunno what timeline you come from, but over here that's fine and expected

yeah each digit in their market cap confers additional rights

y’all just lucky fbook hasn’t started using liters of blood for identity verification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i want to say we're a few steps past your regular crash reporting when you're uploading per-user system libraries quietly in the background without any informed consent

and on top of that, the facebook app is usually pre-installed on androids with no option to remove it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

is it OK for them to upload their own memory image, including mapped system libraries? which libraries would it not be OK for them to include in that memory image?

how would you design a privilege to allow users control over what system libraries can be mapped into a given application’s process, if it’s important to keep some applications from being able to read them? what harm would you be preventing with that privilege?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why is uploading libraries bad?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

why is uploading libraries bad?
In the case of Facebook, I expect they're doing it in case they at some point in the future can use it to fingerprint, so they can track people if other methods gets disabled for whatever reason.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Facebook doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt. if they’re uploading random bits of data from people’s phones that aren’t obviously necessary for their app’s practical purposes of sharing baby photos and dumb political memes, I’m going to assume it’s malicious even if I can’t immediately figure out how

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

but they already know who you are, you’ve logged into the Facebook app

and the set of libraries on a device isn’t unique enough to identify a person

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It doesn't matter. Facebook does not get the benefit of the doubt. They're untrustworthy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

so why weren’t people worried about the app being able to read all those libraries before? they could easily fingerprint without uploading the raw data

the crash reporter also uploads system information, btw. I thought this was well-known!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's very weird to upload arbitrary system libraries in the background rather than in response to a crash report. yes there's more ways to fingerprint, but the core reason for this doesn't look to be diagnostic

it goes back to "because we can" and no one seems to have asked if they should. we already know there isn't a limit to the data gathering operations, but maybe a drop of restraint would be good to see?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"more data is always better"

- facebook, probably

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if the system library doesn't match an existing hash, uploading it would definitely be valuable.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status/1167973598163660800

The forums subdomain has been available on http only (no https) since forever. The login/password pages were also http only. I actually poked the site's tech guy about that a while back and he said he spent a day trying to install certs but it was 'too hard'.

Apparently he didn't care about keeping the software up to date either.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

is it OK for them to upload their own memory image, including mapped system libraries? which libraries would it not be OK for them to include in that memory image?

how would you design a privilege to allow users control over what system libraries can be mapped into a given application’s process, if it’s important to keep some applications from being able to read them? what harm would you be preventing with that privilege?
it’s not so much the library map uploading as much as knowing fb would use it to assist fingerprint unsuspecting users first chance they got, and doing it silently, in the background, instead of when crashing.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

it’s not so much the library map uploading as much as knowing fb would use it to assist fingerprint unsuspecting users first chance they got, and doing it silently, in the background, instead of when crashing.

explain how having the entire binary helps with fingerprinting beyond having the, you know, fingerprints?

Stick Insect posted:

and on top of that, the facebook app is usually pre-installed on androids with no option to remove it.

really nefarious, cutting a deal with the manufacturer, who picks and installs the system libraries, to get an app installed on the handset which they use to steal info on what system libraries it has installed. the perfect plan.

still, this is absolutely yet another reason to not run any facebook-made app, and it is at minimum a bit shady a thing to do, but i really haven't heard an explanation of the actually shady usecase for it that measures up to "facebook wants to run their testsuite on the apps in each environment they are deployed, but android installs are a shitshow of hacked up esoteric variants impossible to get a hold of, so they try to recreate them based on what actually gets loaded on user systems".

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 1, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it'd still be real problematic even if they were only uploading the library hashes, hth

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I hope they only upload libraries when on a wifi connection, because some of those libraries can be pretty large

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

explain how having the entire binary helps with fingerprinting beyond having the, you know, fingerprints?

really nefarious, cutting a deal with the manufacturer, who picks and installs the system libraries, to get an app installed on the handset which they use to steal info on what system libraries it has installed. the perfect plan.

still, this is absolutely yet another reason to not run any facebook-made app, and it is at minimum a bit shady a thing to do, but i really haven't heard an explanation of the actually shady usecase for it that measures up to "facebook wants to run their testsuite on the apps in each environment they are deployed, but android installs are a shitshow of hacked up esoteric variants impossible to get a hold of, so they try to recreate them based on what actually gets loaded on user systems".
Why do we have to explain how it helps facebook when it may be that nobody at facebook knows? Their policy appears to be to get ANY AND ALL DATA that could in theory be used in aggregate to fingerprint people at some undefined point in the future, so they can keep tracking people irrespective of what part of their service platform people engage on, be it Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, WhatsApp, or whatever else they end up buying.
Remember, most people don't realize all of those apps are the same company and that they're currently in the business of unifying the infrastructure of those services to make it easier for them to track people by aggregating data, and possibly to make them harder to break up.

This is the same company which has shown itself again and again to not only not care about users, but to actively desire to gently caress with users and their emotional status in search of ways to maximize their own profit, and which acts as if they're completely beyond the pale because it is a company that, unlike most other tech companies, is majority-controlled by a completely unethical and hypocritical excuse for a human.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status/1167973598163660800

The forums subdomain has been available on http only (no https) since forever. The login/password pages were also http only. I actually poked the site's tech guy about that a while back and he said he spent a day trying to install certs but it was 'too hard'.

:psyduck: this is hilarious, since installing an ssl cert is intern level easy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Certbot even does the config for you ffs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
lol even something awful, home of radium, is https now. there’s no loving excuse

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

Why are you spending time at the xkcd forums? :lol:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't, I just 'know' the tech guy on IRC.

BTW, the passwords in the forums leak were MD5 hashed.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
how many of the passwords were correcthorsebatterystaple

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean, good old "milliseconds til decrypted: 5" is better than plaintext but ...

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't, I just 'know' the tech guy on IRC.

no salt too eh

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

No idea

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Subjunctive, are you really going to defend FB again?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I can't wait for someone to try and sue FB over reverse engineering/"decrypting" a library of theirs that got uploaded. There's got to be a minefield of compliance issues involved in this.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

did you guys forget who subjunctive is lmao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
if I was responsible for getting an Android app for a combination genocide merchant and surveillance/advertising firm working in two billion android shitphones I’d want to be able to figure out why their libsqlite3 crashes when the app does X

but I’m not because working for a combination genocide merchant and surveillance/advertising firm is bad

Taps
Aug 14, 2009

Taps fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 3, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Do you need a shrubbery?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/dnsprincess/status/1168274528650301441?s=21

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wifi inspectah deck, tha mystery of wardrivin’

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xarn posted:

Subjunctive, are you really going to defend FB again?

I’m not defending them at all. I would have benefited from similar system visibility when I was working on detecting FB-targeted malware deployed against journalists and activists, and when dealing with dozens of “can’t happen” bugs from people with hosed up Android installs, but I wasn’t dumb enough to ask for it or build it. I’ve also navigated around the edges of system info collection for Firefox and jumbled masses of plugins, and also didn’t build that collector, for similar reasons

I’m asking about the security characteristics of the activity, because we’re in the security thread and there are lots of other places for “lol, FB did a thing” shitposting. it’s obvious that it’s at least bad optics, whatever the intent, so there didn’t seem much point belabouring that element. did I miss my part of the chant?

(crash reporting is silent, though, if people have illusions otherwise, and the reports can be triggered when something like a deadlock or other bug state occur. crashes are just one kind of bug detection, they don’t have any special privacy or security characteristics. Chrome does the same thing I’m pretty sure. it certainly used to, and breakpad probably still has support for snapshotting uncrashed state. I don’t know what triggers the GLC harvesting here; for all I know it’s part of reporting a crash, since that whole process was deferred until after the next startup)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/itswillis/status/1168543167219716096

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

if you would all be so kind as to help me pre-empt a secfuck, I’m trying to figure out how to configure ingress for my home network so that I can get various flavours of HTTPS and ssh and MQTT/SQS. which of these is a better choice, or which trade offs am I not seeing? feel free to banish me to the grey thread if this is boring

1: forward ports from my router directly to the docker containers, one per inbound service? VPN in a container, if algo works that way

2: forward ports from my router to some nginx proxy container and then to each service, to protect against...??? I guess I could IP-restrict the ones that I know have limits or do some sanity checking on the requests, but would I really bother? VPN in a container

3: VPN on my EdgeRouter, droplet or whatever that tunnels in and forwards ports via proxy. I’m not sure the latest EdgeOS supports all the best algo settings. means I have an easy off switch for everything that’s forwarded, but I can still VPN directly in

4: burn it all down and raise goats

(ideally I could some of the services on vlans Internally but I’m not sure quite how that would work)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

what kind of goats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
breed of goats is important here.

e:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

what kind of goats

So, you have a couple options: If this is a cloud provider you are trying to provide acces to, setting up an IPSEC tunnel (VPN) would be perfectly acceptable, barring that, IP restrictions of what can contact what service via port forewarding is also acceptable.

The nginx method would work as well, but you'd need to maintain/patch/monitor the nginx dispatch for intrusions.

Really, as long as you are using a IP whitelist to ensure only services/ips/ports you approve of reach it, it should be fine to expose them. Ideally, you want to have any exposed services going through some sort of WAF or via Cloudflare to shield you, but I know that isn't always possible.

Caveat: SSH should always be behind a VPN. Always. If you need to publicly expose SSH, setup port knocking and write a port knock script to do so, and only allow a single remote session. Leaving SSH available openly is just asking for trouble. That's what I did for backup access to my network in case my OpenVPN vm goes belly up. Also, setup the Google MFA PAM plugin for SSH, and only used shared keys with a passphrase.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 2, 2019