Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
All this sudden talk about Corregidor is fun because someone made a module for it for Advanced Squad Leader and I bought it on a whim and I'll get to see how its interpreted before I eventually maybe play a campaign game of it :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Book question:

Should I read The War that Ended Peace by Margaret MacMillan or The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark or both of them?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So, I did my thing on Alcock, now I'm researching Brown. My question is basically "what did brown do as a second Lt. before transferring to the RFC?"

Alcock joined up and trained with the Public school battalion, and was...gazetted? as a 2nd Lt. in January 1915. (I know gazetted means "made" and this has something to do with some tradition where, I don't know, their name is written down, possibly in The Gazette, but it still throws me slightly.) Brown then is assigned to the Manchester regiment, and arrives on the Western Front in time for the second battle of Ypres. He then ----- is there, apparently sticking around for battle of the somme in some capacity, though hopefully not being involved in Beaumont Hammel. He then - at some point - transfers to the RFC, where he's an observer, and is shot down the last time during the battle of Loos.

Maybe Brown managed to get out of the bad bits, but I'm curious because his time serving on the ground could potentially put him in a bunch of horrific spots. Which would be doubly bad as Brown was an American citizen who renounced his citizenship to enlist.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Alcock joined up and trained with the Public school battalion, and was...gazetted? as a 2nd Lt. in January 1915. (I know gazetted means "made" and this has something to do with some tradition where, I don't know, their name is written down, possibly in The Gazette, but it still throws me slightly.)

It means there's an official announcement in this that the dude's been made an officer, yes.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Book question:

Should I read The War that Ended Peace by Margaret MacMillan or The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark or both of them?

I haven't read MacMillan, but you should absolutely read Clark.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

You know, considering that big chunks of this are nominally Hawaii before it was even a US state, that is an aggressive amount of only showing white people. Like to the point that it couldn't be accidental, someone was definitely spending effort to white-wash this.

I had been avoiding this because it looked bad, but your comment made me check the trailer and lmao. :negative: I'm pretty sure the 1976 version got it better.* That's some impressive four-decade backsliding.

For reference, according to census data, there were about 112k white people in Hawaii in 1940 versus about 158k Japanese alone, about 88k other Asians, and about 64k native Hawaiians. I'm sure the naval base and its environs skewed whiter due to military segregation, but even there it's not gonna look like Iowa.

*Not that Midway (1976) is a great movie, but at least you get a storyline revolving around a Japanese American character plus Toshiro Mifune chewing scenery as Yamamoto.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

JcDent posted:

A lot of people don't know poo poo! :argh:

I was yesterday years old when I learned of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Leros

Notable because you usually thing the Germans stopped dropping paras after Crete, yet here they are, dropping on some Greek rock again, dying victoriously.

The whole read is wild, you have
1. Dumb British officers
2. Inter-Allied disagreements
3. lol what's air cover
4. Paratrooper disaster
5. CAS going beast on parked ships
6. Subs delivering supplies and men
7. Executions!

It's honestly insane to think of the Germans pulling off a triphibious assault in late 1943 and even more so when you consider that they not only won but held the territory gained until the end of the war. It may be the final lasting German victory aside from maybe the Battle of Garfagnana which when you think about was also the only successful Italian offensive of the entire war :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I liked the battleship movie. I appreciate the attempts at a tactically intense battle and the variety of weapons used in the attempt to convey a flexible command response to events.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jobbo_Fett posted:

All this sudden talk about Corregidor is fun because someone made a module for it for Advanced Squad Leader and I bought it on a whim and I'll get to see how its interpreted before I eventually maybe play a campaign game of it :swoon:

Does it include burning $20 million dollars and hiding a silver stash in the tunnels as a mission objective?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I liked the battleship movie. I appreciate the attempts at a tactically intense battle and the variety of weapons used in the attempt to convey a flexible command response to events.

The weirdest thing about that movie is that they made a plot point of the aliens not being inherently hostile and the whole thing being a misunderstanding then didn't do anything with it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

JcDent posted:

Googling Corregidor brought me to this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_at_Cabanatuan

Look at those Japanese casualties, you'd think the raid was conducted using Holy Hand Grenades

There was a movie about this recently called The Great Raid, based on the book Ghost Soldiers.

So far as the raid goes, it was well done. Unlike most films it did a pretty credible job of showing you the tactical planning of the raid and how it went off pretty much as they planned it, which is what lead to those lopsided casualty figures. The love story subplot was annoying.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

Does it include burning $20 million dollars and hiding a silver stash in the tunnels as a mission objective?

Don't have the scenarios on-hand at the moment but I'll check when I do in like 3 weeks.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

P-Mack posted:

The weirdest thing about that movie is that they made a plot point of the aliens not being inherently hostile and the whole thing being a misunderstanding then didn't do anything with it.

IIRC they are hostile, but they happened to have a fairly well developed rules of engagement. They absolutely struck first at military stuff and we're clearly preparing for an invasion, but might have not been like war crimey about it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

dublish posted:

I haven't read MacMillan, but you should absolutely read Clark.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Xiahou Dun posted:

You know, considering that big chunks of this are nominally Hawaii before it was even a US state, that is an aggressive amount of only showing white people. Like to the point that it couldn't be accidental, someone was definitely spending effort to white-wash this.

Never underestimate the sheer lack of knowledge that Americans can bring to bear when recounting parts of our national mythos. :911:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Raenir Salazar posted:

IIRC they are hostile, but they happened to have a fairly well developed rules of engagement. They absolutely struck first at military stuff and we're clearly preparing for an invasion, but might have not been like war crimey about it.

I think there's supposed to be some parallels to the US forces and the aliens, and this is one of them. The aliens also do a dramatic "rescue captured buddy" raid too. Also the foghorn exchange thing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

wdarkk posted:

I think there's supposed to be some parallels to the US forces and the aliens, and this is one of them. The aliens also do a dramatic "rescue captured buddy" raid too. Also the foghorn exchange thing.

Makes me wonder if the whole movie was meant to be a stealth reference to the Millennium Challenge.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Also drifting in a battleship.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The weirdness of the alien rules of engagement is one of my favourite things about that movie.

After the scene where they drift in a battleship

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Fangz posted:

The weirdness of the alien rules of engagement is one of my favourite things about that movie.

After the scene where they drift in a battleship

I love that everyone celebrates at the end like it's all over and the aliens can't just come back whenever they want with more ships and less restraint.

It's kind of trying to make an imperialism analogy but not trying hard enough to actually get all the way there. That weirdness is why it stuck in my brain in the first place so maybe it's actually good?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does anyone go "You sank my battleship"?

Also what kind of naval task force was this that was operating a BB in 2012? Per the documentary Under Siege, the last USN battleship was decommissioned in 1992

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Does anyone go "You sank my battleship"?

Also what kind of naval task force was this that was operating a BB in 2012? Per the documentary Under Siege, the last USN battleship was decommissioned in 1992

You haven't seen the movie? Go see it.

they get a bunch of old people to restore the Missouri to combat status

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

P-Mack posted:

I love that everyone celebrates at the end like it's all over and the aliens can't just come back whenever they want with more ships and less restraint.

Weren't they trying to start a Milton Bradley Cinematic Universe with Battleship? Maybe the aliens were going to come back in Hungry Hungry Hippos?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not in a million years, so tell me what the movie says a ship lain down in 1940 brings to the fight that a modern carrier group can't
Would an Iowa class even be a match for a Ticonderoga?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The aliens throw up a force field between themselves and the rest of the Navy. Once that goes away they get clowned pretty handily.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The submarines sneak under the force field, right?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

zoux posted:

Not in a million years, so tell me what the movie says a ship lain down in 1940 brings to the fight that a modern carrier group can't
Would an Iowa class even be a match for a Ticonderoga?

EMP pulse wrecks the Tic’s computers! What now little missile cruiser? What now!

Uh... does anyone recall how to shoot the big guns?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

EMP pulse wrecks the Tic’s computers! What now little missile cruiser? What now!

RAMMING SPEED

Also I would hope that the US surface fleet is EMP hardened.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

zoux posted:

RAMMING SPEED

Also I would hope that the US surface fleet is EMP hardened.

Look it’s a really big EMP. Also a cruiser would not win a ramming match with a battleship.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
In the movie the Iowa's main asset is resilience against the aliens' peg-missile things. Given that they seem similar to semi-armor piercing ammunition that might actually work.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Isn't it also a thing with the aliens' rules of engagement? That the aliens considered the more modern ships as hostile already but fail to recognise the Missouri as a threat until it gets close enough to launch a broadside?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Battleship is an exceptionally silly movie and honestly I can't hate it.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

Look it’s a really big EMP. Also a cruiser would not win a ramming match with a battleship.

According to the documentary series The Last Ship, a Burke ramming a latin american Iowa-class battleship will cause both of them to explode in a spectacular fireball.

Also, aliens in Battleship did nothing wrong.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
oh my god I forgot how incredibly stupid and incredible this scene was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMdKnZKOhwk

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

Also a cruiser would not win a ramming match with a battleship.

You just need to mount a poo poo-ton of spar torpedoes on the cruiser.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gervasius posted:

According to the documentary series The Last Ship, a Burke ramming a latin american Iowa-class battleship will cause both of them to explode in a spectacular fireball.

*has a look of ever-increasing horror slowly expand across his face*

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

*has a look of ever-increasing horror slowly expand across his face*

Yeah, it sounds stupid, and it is stupid and the show knows its stupid and rolls with it. After really mediocre first season it embraces stupidity and becomes a great dumb show to be honest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

oh my god I forgot how incredibly stupid and incredible this scene was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMdKnZKOhwk

Whose loving alien nephew was put in charge of the invasion of earth. Also what passage in Art of War advocates battleship drifting. Why is Lt. Tim Riggins commanding a battleship.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gervasius posted:

Yeah, it sounds stupid, and it is stupid and the show knows its stupid and rolls with it. After really mediocre first season it embraces stupidity and becomes a great dumb show to be honest.

The commercials for it made it seem like a discount Tom Clancy show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Did they cast Nick Jonas as Dick Best? Am I understanding this correctly? As silly as it may be I find that kind of upsetting.