Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
In case anyone is out of the loop, some asshat is spamming BYOND hub with fake servers. Joining them gets you goatse'd at best, infected with malware at worst. It"s generally pretty obvious cause they tend to have a spoofed playercount in the thousands and names/descriptions filled with nazi poo poo, but they've also been trying to spoof legit servers so be on guard. It's best to make a bookmark of any server you play on and join with those - Goon's are byond://goon1.goonhub.com:26100/ for rp and 26200 for non-RP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Bumping to let people know that the NSS Manta is in service :toot:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Victory Position posted:

Bumping to let people know that the NSS Manta is in service :toot:

Already played a couple rounds, and I learned that the janitor mop's ability to infinitely absorb puddles is quite effective at soaking up flooding. :sun:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Bloody Pom posted:

Already played a couple rounds, and I learned that the janitor mop's ability to infinitely absorb puddles is quite effective at soaking up flooding. :sun:

First thing I do as janitor is show the swimming pool who's boss :colbert: I had written off the mop when I first started playing janitor (sponge is pretty superior for cleaning), but when the new fluids system went in the mop turned into a magical anti-fluid weapon. If you're janitor on OSHAN you're practically the anti-Neptune keeping the floods at bay.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I also learned that you can spam-click on the centre of a big puddle with the mop and become a Jojo of cleaning as you rapidly soak up the entire thing in a matter of seconds.

Came in pretty handy when some rear end in a top hat started spilling coffee everywhere :argh:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

monolithburger posted:

Today we learnt that birds can pickup and nibble on light grenades just fine :birddrugs:

Does this work with heavy grenades or do you need two birds with a line between them?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Greytide station wide
https://youtu.be/maC_xGt2D68

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Found the one armed bandit

Isaac fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 24, 2019

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Feature request: allow slot machine handles to be used in arm transplants, and vice versa.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

monolithburger posted:

Feature request: allow slot machine handles to be used in arm transplants, and vice versa.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

monolithburger posted:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

John Pubbs yanks on lovely Bill's slot machine arm.
lovely Bill twitches, his eyes spinning around!
Jackpot! lovely Bill violently vomits out several internal organs! Holy loving christ!!

:stare:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Is this real because if so I will play again ASAP

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Sadly, no. Not yet.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

you should be able to escape hell by building a ladder out of your own severed arms

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Fun fact about Hell: The atmosphere is toxic, but you're invincible so you don't need to breathe.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
That fact is not fun. :stonk:

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I found a sax solo that would fit perfectly in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt76-vvCGWs&t=57s.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Bike horn orchestra

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
So I've played like 2 games so far. I think the more enjoyable job for me has been mechanic so I can go around with wire clippers and welders and toolkits because it sounds fun. I'm just curious what I should actually be doing in a given game or whether I need to be patrolling for broken wires.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Toalpaz posted:

So I've played like 2 games so far. I think the more enjoyable job for me has been mechanic so I can go around with wire clippers and welders and toolkits because it sounds fun. I'm just curious what I should actually be doing in a given game or whether I need to be patrolling for broken wires.

The joy of mechanics is in making stuff with the mechcomp machine. It can seem a bit daunting but its fairly intuitive once you got the procedure figured out. Deep in the wiki theres a page on the control unit which lets you do all the things that make the crew wanna kill you.

E: If you are only 2 rounds in then just walk around enjoying the sights and fiddling with stuff. I recommend playing as captain or HoP

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Toalpaz posted:

Learn how to build teleporters. Just make a whole mess of 'em. One from the bar to engineering to establish your value, 5 random ones into a square next to the crusher, then finally three one-way teleporters into Genetics to liven up their day.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

toolkits are the key to everything in this game

never leave home without a utility belt loaded down with tools so you can bust through doors like a rabid staff assistant at a moment's notice

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

feature request: when you throw someone or are thrown out of an airlock, the log says (only for the two involved) "Thumbs McGronto eagerly/viciously/hilariously/cartoonishly yeets Pustule The Slobbering into space! Ice cold!"

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

hack doors so they electrocute people but aren't noticeably altered at first glance.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Qubee posted:

hack doors so they electrocute people but aren't noticeably altered at first glance.

Or be more insidious and hack open the doors, attach signaling devices to the bolts or, if you want to be mean, the electrification wires and occasionally just toggle them on/off to annoy people or make them hate the AI. Bonus points if you get every single door on the station tuned to one signal to toggle them all at once.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rynoto posted:

Or be more insidious and hack open the doors, attach signaling devices to the bolts or, if you want to be mean, the electrification wires and occasionally just toggle them on/off to annoy people or make them hate the AI. Bonus points if you get every single door on the station tuned to one signal to toggle them all at once.

While doing this, if you're a traitor, encourage the Engineers to hotwire the engine to the grid and push it into meltdown if they aren't doing so already :unsmigghh:.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While doing this, if you're a traitor, encourage the Engineers to hotwire the engine to the grid and push it into meltdown if they aren't doing so already :unsmigghh:.

Convincing engineers to do a hellburn isn't even traitor antics

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Rynoto posted:

Or be more insidious and hack open the doors, attach signaling devices to the bolts

This comes in handy as a bomb-throwing anarchist scientist! A little thermite to get into Tool Storage and then keep your victims from escaping as you trigger the payload with two clicks of your signaler :unsmigghh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mors Rattus posted:

Convincing engineers to do a hellburn isn't even traitor antics

It is when the doors start vaporizing people.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is when the doors start vaporizing people.

Yeah but it’s not like thats really gonna make it MORE lethal

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
The most I've tried because I wanted to effect the game is weld doors shut and cut light wires, but that's just cause I learned to interact with them and use them. I'll try and learn how to interact with doors.

I also found a closet/transporter thing where you order stuff and I ordered a bunch of random things and rode the converor belt after getting wasted to the loading dock area to see if they came in. They did one game and I threw up everywhere and released a bunch of monkeys.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

feature request: when you throw someone or are thrown out of an airlock, the log says (only for the two involved) "Thumbs McGronto eagerly/viciously/hilariously/cartoonishly yeets Pustule The Slobbering into space! Ice cold!"

There's already a low chance to randomly "yeet" things when you throw them. That'd be a little more difficult because it's not possible to know if the yeeted one is actually going into space.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Zamujasa posted:

There's already a low chance to randomly "yeet" things when you throw them. That'd be a little more difficult because it's not possible to know if the yeeted one is actually going into space.

I love that throwing the Detectives gun has a chance for it to randomly go off.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Zipguns should have a chance of firing when thrown, otherwise they harmlessly break unless they have grenade/rpg rounds.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

So there's a couple of players running around on the main server as a "married couple" of anime girls every round as a persistent relationship. They have their character names associated and are always "together" in the game sometimes doing gross things in dark corners. Now, in the old days this poo poo would have been very publicly not tolerated but nowadays most of the admins are pubbies and it seems to me like they are letting it go.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Womyn Capote posted:

So there's a couple of players running around on the main server as a "married couple" of anime girls every round as a persistent relationship. They have their character names associated and are always "together" in the game sometimes doing gross things in dark corners. Now, in the old days this poo poo would have been very publicly not tolerated but nowadays most of the admins are pubbies and it seems to me like they are letting it go.

You sure the admins aren't just waiting for a reprise of this? (warning, link is potentially :nms: for those sensitive to super gross online behavior)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Womyn Capote posted:

Have you been reporting it with adminhelp?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

Have you been reporting it with adminhelp?

Or posted about on the actual Goonstation forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."

Womyn Capote posted:

• We don't have "anime girls."
  • We have a rule stating "no sexual content", so that sort of thing wouldn't be tolerated.
  • We've had no adminhelps about this, and no admins around today can confirm this.
  • I'm the actual literal host of Goonstation and I'm essentially an SA powergoon, albeit primarily a lurker. Also, a whole bunch of the admin team are still SA goons.

Are you sure you're actually playing on goonstation?