Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Just imagine having to spend an entire winter in your regular home instead of your summer home. The indignity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The biggest effect of hurricanes doing tons of damage is everyone's insurance premiums just go up. This hurts poor people way more than rich people, it's super regressive.

Unless you're so poor you're just off the grid or bouncing between trailers, in which case no insurance baby! Jackpot!

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Imagine coming back to your Florida mansion and it's been officially requisitioned by the Free Floridians' Corsair Regatta

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cacafuego posted:

I mean, they'll be inconvenienced in a minor way, or a person they pay will have extra work to do to fix things up. They won't "suffer". What do you think will happen to the rich that will have taken the earliest first class flight out of the way of the storm that will in any way lead to their suffering from hurricane damage?

I mean, I'm all for the rich suffering, but a hurricane ain't gonna do it. I bet Richard Branson is doing just fine despite his mega mansion (capable of withstanding a cat 5, natch) on that island in the Atlantic that got scoured from the earth a year or 2 ago.

the very rich have an awful lot of their self worth tied up in their possessions, it hurts them to see that precious antique they bought at auction destroyed. it was irreplaceable!!!!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

a new study bible! posted:

Trump has never built anything

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Kazak posted:

Imagine coming back to your Florida mansion and it's been officially requisitioned by the Free Floridians' Corsair Regatta

Does this intriguing-sounding organization have a Gofundme? I would like to support their efforts.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

tangy yet delightful posted:

Does your boss have the power company call him when your power is out?

Just loving lie.

I'm not above that, but I prefer my lies to be so outlandish that I get a week or two off. If I'm honest about not losing power during a hurricane, I'm more likely to be believed when I have to follow my father's final wishes that I find Cortez's lost treasure in the Yucatan.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Chicken Butt posted:

Does this intriguing-sounding organization have a Gofundme? I would like to support their efforts.

Ay! Just tell me where ye be anchored and I'll send a representative to collect your generous gift

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
The best way to get a hurricane to target the rich is to set up a bunch of guillotines where the wind can turn them into capitalist-seeking missiles.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can watch the hurricane hunter live on flightradar right now, pretty cool.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
About to get a bump back up to Cat 3, major status

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FistEnergy posted:

About to get a bump back up to Cat 3, major status

Not surprised that eyewall looks pretty solid. Hopefully it doesn’t hulk out too much before landfall.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

soy posted:

Not surprised that eyewall looks pretty solid. Hopefully it doesn’t hulk out too much before landfall.

Stay safe Alabama!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/1169410016333320192?s=20

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Kind of wish it would nudge it to the west after landfall, just a tad to hit the DC area just enough to convince NOAA to let us work from home. Nobody comes in on friday anyway, but it would be nice to not have to feel bad about it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

Stay safe Alabama!

See this is funny because our president, Dolan Turmp, misspoke and said the hurricane might hit Alabama. And then when everyone was like “No Mr. President pretty sure you’re wrong.” He got an old NOAA forecast map and used sharpie to draw the hurricane heading towards Alabama, which is a wild and zany thing for a president to do!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

RandomBlue posted:

Stay safe Alabama!

I mean, or don't.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Coredump posted:

See this is funny because our president, Dolan Turmp, misspoke and said the hurricane might hit Alabama. And then when everyone was like “No Mr. President pretty sure you’re wrong.” He got an old NOAA forecast map and used sharpie to draw the hurricane heading towards Alabama, which is a wild and zany thing for a president to do!

Misspoke lmao.

So there is 20 reported casualties but they are expecting more. But I think of the long term casualties as well. Like disease and exposure will be loving terrible. We need to send a hospital navy ship. ASAP.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

This is hell dimension. Stephen Miller is trying to figure out how to send a container of plague blankets

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I'm not above that, but I prefer my lies to be so outlandish that I get a week or two off. If I'm honest about not losing power during a hurricane, I'm more likely to be believed when I have to follow my father's final wishes that I find Cortez's lost treasure in the Yucatan.

Well sir may the odds be ever in your favor and might the wind be always at your back as you sail to the Yucatan when the fateful day comes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Burt Sexual posted:

Misspoke lmao.

So there is 20 reported casualties but they are expecting more. But I think of the long term casualties as well. Like disease and exposure will be loving terrible. We need to send a hospital navy ship. ASAP.

The thread title might have been prophetic :-(

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Weird hot take/conspiracy theory: what if they are trying to downplay death toll so as not to negatively affect their tourism industry?

The current numbers just seem unbelievably low.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

soy posted:

Weird hot take/conspiracy theory: what if they are trying to downplay death toll so as not to negatively affect their tourism industry?

Underwater or washed into the sea....

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

soy posted:

The current number is confirmed casualties. It's not uncommon for that number to be low in the initial wake of a major disaster, with the infrastructure shambles most of the relief efforts focused on helping survivors. There are probably thousands of missing persons, but it's too soon and resources are too scant for their status to be verified.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They’re never going to get a fully accurate death toll since I’m sure there will be people who are never found that got swept out to sea

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

The current number is confirmed casualties. It's not uncommon for that number to be low in the initial wake of a major disaster, with the infrastructure shambles most of the relief efforts focused on helping survivors. There are probably thousands of missing persons, but it's too soon and resources are too scant for their status to be verified.

That's exactly what happened with Maria in PR.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

soy posted:

the number is verified deaths, not actual deaths. everybody is "missing" right now. the number will skyrocket in the coming days. this happens with literally every single natural disaster ever, its how disaster reporting works.

also the bahaman government and its tourism pr firm does not control global media, so idk how they could be skewing the numbers

also a lower death toll wouldn't change the media story at all, which is that the bahamas got "loving destroyed". i think the tourism industry hit has already been taken.

one love

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

friendly 2 da void posted:

the number is verified deaths, not actual deaths. everybody is "missing" right now. the number will skyrocket in the coming days. this happens with literally every single natural disaster ever, its how disaster reporting works.

also the bahaman government and its tourism pr firm does not control global media, so idk how they could be skewing the numbers

also a lower death toll wouldn't change the media story at all, which is that the bahamas got "loving destroyed". i think the tourism industry hit has already been taken.

one love

It's almost like conspiracy theorists are huge dumbasses who have no idea what they're talking about.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Trump is going to announce thousands of Americans died and America suffered far more than anyone else and he was there in the storm saving Americans and they said thank you sir as he carried them to safety in is big strong manly hands.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I just hope he has enough paper towels

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
is there any exciting cams or is it the middle of the night and everything is pitch black?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

a new study bible! posted:

Trump has never built anything above code.

Trump didn't build Mar-A-Lago. He just bought it.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So there is a rapidly emerging humanitarian crisis in the Bahamas: https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1169461904382791681?s=19

Reports from the ground in Abaco and Grand Bahama Island indicate 90-100 percent destruction of all structures across both Islands. The majority of those who survived have lost all their caches of food and water, the vast majority of heavy equipment that was on the island has been destroyed. The ports are completely inaccessible, and the airport is similarly completely inaccessible.

https://twitter.com/CBS21NEWS/status/1169395970057990145?s=19

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1169311728913588225?s=19

At present Abacos and Grand Bahamas islands are more or less uninhabitable, and it is going to take a tremendous amount of work to even begin to address the problems there. The more immediate crisis though is the inability to get any significant amount of supplies onto Grand Bahamas island- all that's available right now are a few helicopters and small seaplanes.

What really needs to happen right now is something on the level of the United States Marines rolling in to provide logistical support, as they are one of the few groups in the world that has the kind of landing craft necessary to get on and off such devastated beaches. Heavy equipment and food / water / medical supplies need to be brought in oh, and people need to be brought out. This is starting to happen with what' available, but what's available simply isn't remotely close to meeting the need.

I don't know what's going to happen- but I know that Trump/Miller et all would be more than happy to sit on their thumbs and watch the Bahamas descend into chaos as food/water supplies rapidly run out. I hope someone with some serious logistical capability steps up and pledges Aid to the Bahamas soon, because this really is a case where a state actor needs to step in. Private efforts pribably aren't going to be enough to do anything but buy time for a state actor to step in.

Fake Edit: according to this video the runway has been cleared- but aircraft still cannot use the airport because the tower has been effectively destroyed by flooding, as has all the aviation fuel.

https://twitter.com/AC360/status/1169472617155137538?s=19

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Honestly this seems like prime situation to roll a few of our aircraft carriers in there as I believe they can generate fresh water, plus provide a way to move man and material on and off the islands.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man it has got to be wearing on people to wake up every morning and the deathstorm is still floating out there being scary.

Tornadoes in the Carolinas as a morning wakup gift. 50 mph sustained winds in Charleston.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
when the water subsides are people going to continue living on the islands? i feel like they shouldnt, and everyone should be marked as a refugee and they should be allowed to move.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

poo poo :(

And this will make the tourist rates drop, and the economy will tank for decades.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

soy posted:

I do think tourism spots tend to do this with murders and disappearances(Aruba with Natalee Holloway and Cruise Ships where people go missing).

I don't see why they would cover up the death count of one of the biggest hurricanes ever, though.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Prester Jane posted:

Fake Edit: according to this video the runway has been cleared- but aircraft still cannot use the airport because the tower has been effectively destroyed by flooding, as has all the aviation fuel.

https://twitter.com/AC360/status/1169472617155137538?s=19

Aircraft can operate without the control tower. It's also close enough to other airports in the US and Bahamas that refueling isn't necessary for most aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=vGimsBVpuN8

Frying pan shoal flag is back