Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Carcano is also the only major rifle design to reach large scale production numbers of all the major nations that had a hole in the magazine well for the clip to drop out of. As a nation that fought in the desert. And we've already spoken about the machine guns with oilers attached that were hosed immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Carcano is also the only major rifle design to reach large scale production numbers of all the major nations that had a hole in the magazine well for the clip to drop out of. As a nation that fought in the desert. And we've already spoken about the machine guns with oilers attached that were hosed immediately.

If England is Bad Cav Island

Is Italy the Bad Gun Boot?

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Ice Fist posted:

If England is Bad Cav Island

Is Italy the Bad Gun Boot?

Bad engineering peninsula

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ice Fist posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > The Inevitable Milhist Thread: Italy, the Bad Gun Boot

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Everyone knows they need 13 tries to get it right, okay

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

xthetenth posted:

Decisive battle conceptualized in strategy. There's a case to be made that in aggregate the campaigns of 1942, both the Guadalcanal fighting and the combination of Coral Sea, Midway, Eastern Solomons and Santa Cruz formed a 'decisive campaign' in terms of both sides wearing their forces down in the sense that a decisive battle would do, but that in itself wasn't even decisive because both sides got worn down rather than one getting locked in a lanchestrian death spiral.

During modernization, yeah. poo poo got wild when they started to get into hagakure inspired fascism though. That wouldn't be a samurai class thing, it'd be a samurai flavored fascism thing.

A brief timeline of 1930s coup attempts in Japan (Sorry I'm a lazy poo poo and linking wiki but I'm at work):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_Incident

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_incident

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_15_Incident

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Academy_incident

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_26_Incident

Right, but I was speaking regarding sword duels. Not that officers wouldn't resort to violence to resolve doctrinal or policy disputes. Like I don't think people in Japan's government would be pulling out katana's for samurai showdown style duels in the rain under a cherry blossom tree type deal. I'd imagine at most if you did have a duel it'd be with fencing swords in a European/Western fashion.

Though I do believe lots of officers did train sword martial arts and archery but I don't think they were meant to be used as a means of resolving disputes or avenging mah honour.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JcDent posted:

Good thing they didn't have tanks to impede them in their conquest of Greece :v:

Wasn't there somebody who figured out how to get past the Italian Alps with heavy matériel :thunk:

That reminds me, I was watching a video on Ecnomus and learned the Carthaginian navy employed a similar "fake weak center" ruse to what Hannibal used at Cannae. If you're a Roman commander in the Punic Wars facing a Carthaginian army/navy and you cotton on to this particular Phoencian trick, what are the correct counter tactics

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 5, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

Wasn't there somebody who figured out how to get past the Italian Alps with heavy matériel :thunk:

That reminds me, I was watching a video on Ecnomus and learned the Carthaginian navy employed a similar "fake weak center" ruse to what Hannibal used at Cannae. If you're a Roman commander in the Punic Wars facing a Carthaginian army/navy and you cotton on to this particular Phoencian trick, what are the correct counter tactics

From what I remember this is trickier than it seems. Because Roman Martial culture seemed to really value the offense and taking the fight to the enemy and a weak center is almost too tempting to pass up; if you pass on it, it might kill your career, label you a coward etc maybe?

All battles are sets of circumstances as well too, so even if you are willing and able to not try to push into the center, then wouldn't the Carthaginian commander react to that?

If holding your position and outwaiting the Carthaginians is not an option I'd assume your option as a certified armchair general is to strengthen one of your flanks and try to beat one of their flanks in since their center is weakened you only need to worry about the other flank? Like in that battle of was it Thebes (Corinth?) vs Sparta? Where they figured out how to beat the Spartans?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wasn't this not really a thing in Japan. The Government stamped down hard on the Samurai class during modernization.

possibly, but have you considered how mad he would be that so many gorgeous, expensive, and irreplaceable ships were sunk by tiny, cowardly ships that hide beneath the sea? the whole thing is most ungentlemanly and dishonorable.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Right, but I was speaking regarding sword duels. Not that officers wouldn't resort to violence to resolve doctrinal or policy disputes. Like I don't think people in Japan's government would be pulling out katana's for samurai showdown style duels in the rain under a cherry blossom tree type deal. I'd imagine at most if you did have a duel it'd be with fencing swords in a European/Western fashion.

Though I do believe lots of officers did train sword martial arts and archery but I don't think they were meant to be used as a means of resolving disputes or avenging mah honour.

These are fighting words, I challenge you to a duel. Katanas at dawn.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nenonen posted:

Maybe 6.5mm Carcano's calibre would have been insufficient for proper sniping but it seems like they hadn't really thought this through.

It’s minute of Kennedy accurate but the bullets are magic.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SeanBeansShako posted:

Man poor Italy is going to get simply hosed with that system.

At least give them a modifier for their out there pith helmets.

I mean, Desert Tactics and Equipment gives you like a -5% attrition modifier?

:shrug:

E: Although it's profoundest bullshit it's a 1943 technology when the various nations of Europe had been invading deserts and jungles for like 150 years by that point.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Fascist Italy: the sickest battleships, the best biplanes, and completely prepared for invasion from the north

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'd imagine at most if you did have a duel it'd be with fencing swords in a European/Western fashion.
The Japanese military had ditched western fencing by the 20th century and embraced all the nationalist samurai romance they could come up with. The Toyama military academy replaced its French sabre method with a slightly kendo-influenced sabre curriculum in 1894, and then discarded that for a two-handed katana style fully founded in kendo in 1915. Kendo had been a popular sport throughout the past century or so, and there are photographs of servicemen practicing it all the way through WWII. When they figured out sport fencing doesn't quite cut it in real combat (:rimshot:), a committee of Japanese swordsmen came together in 1925 to develop the Toyama-ryu sword style which is still practiced today around the world.

I need to link to my source through wayback machine because Kendo World moved all their articles to Patreon. Shame, the illustrations were pretty cool: Forsaken Kendo — Katate guntō-jutsu

Edit: Look at these dudes go.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 5, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I don't know of any cases where the Carcano's clip hole was a problem. The rifle is actually a quite good one and the 6.5mm round was ahead of its time in going to smaller, lighter ammunition. They had more issues with trying to switch to a 7.35mm round at the exact wrong time to completely rework your supply chain.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't know of any cases where the Carcano's clip hole was a problem. The rifle is actually a quite good one and the 6.5mm round was ahead of its time in going to smaller, lighter ammunition. They had more issues with trying to switch to a 7.35mm round at the exact wrong time to completely rework your supply chain.

It lets the sand fall out the bottom right?

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

chitoryu12 posted:

It's kind of weird how Italy, Sweden and Japan all had 6.5mm class rifles and then went "oh gently caress everyone else is doing it differently" and went for 7.5mm class rifles instead. I wonder if it was just national peer pressure or if early intermediate cartridges weren't worth it without select fire rifles.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
No, no, you see the middle of a war is the best time to change calibers! That way we can use up the old stuff and won't have to store it!

:v:

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They had some good stuff in the navy, so I'm told, but what would imply good doctrine, tactics, and equipment for their forces? I'll try to expand my knowledge on their artillery, because I believe they had some decent designs when it came to mountainous terrain.

The Italian navy had pretty rudimentary fire control and non existent night fighting training. They'd likely have gotten clowned on in the early 30's Their ship design was reasonable certainly but not exceptional.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Everyone knows they need 13 tries to get it right, okay

I laughed.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Rockets and people is in a pretty awesome section, as the author is part of a Soviet expedition looking for German technology. He arrives while Berlin is still fighting (and him and his comrades blunder into Germans a few times with a long-suffering jeep driver) and paints a really interesting portrait of just after the battle was won and the war ended. But have this story of thread favorite, caches of alcohol and soldiers:

quote:

DIARY ENTRY. 10 May 1945.
We barely managed to make our way to the Lorentz company in Tempelhof. There was a large crowd of women and children.They stood silently looking through a high lattice fence separating the façade of the building standing in the interior of the courtyard, away from the street. Our soldiers with automatic weapons guarded the entryway and in the courtyard were several Jeeps with officers scurrying about between them loading cardboard packages.When we had managed to pass through, after long negotiations, we determined that it was not secret radar instruments that had been hidden in the Lorentz basement, but over a hundred barrels of fruit preserved in alcohol—some sort of base product for all kinds of liqueurs. To be on the safe side, the first wave of the assaulting Red Army soldiers who had discovered this basement had filled the darkness with bursts from their automatic weapons before investigating its contents. A curious liquid began flowing from the perforated barrels. When subsequent echelons of attackers realized what was in the basement, the liquid was already ankle deep. Nevertheless, they feverishly filled all sorts of military-issue containers with the precious nectar.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Now I'm kind of wondering what Russia would be like in an alternate universe where humans can't get drunk.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FrangibleCover posted:

It's kind of weird how Italy, Sweden and Japan all had 6.5mm class rifles and then went "oh gently caress everyone else is doing it differently" and went for 7.5mm class rifles instead. I wonder if it was just national peer pressure or if early intermediate cartridges weren't worth it without select fire rifles.

People in charge of ordnance departments are well known for making decisions that don't necessarily match reality on the ground because they think they know better. Think the people who wanted Germany to have a semi-auto rifle, but also had to be able to be operated exactly like a bolt-action if the gas system didn't work and couldn't have the barrel tapped for a gas port.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

xthetenth posted:

There's a nasty irony there that the Japanese focus on using submarines to prepare for the decisive battle sunk fewer enemy warships than the US strangling the main Japanese lines of communication, setting up perimeters around their operations and taking what came. However it didn't bear fruit till later in the war. There's a lot of converting damaged ships sailing home for repairs into kills, for instance. Just another way the difference between a decisive battle and decisive campaign shows up in WWII.

The fact that it took so long for the submarine warfare campaign to pay off had a lot to do with the awful torpedoes they were stuck with though. Fix those and it would have proven decisive far faster.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Now I'm kind of wondering what Russia would be like in an alternate universe where humans can't get drunk.

Much like the good ol' USA, it'd be part of a blasted hellscape roamed by mutant kiwis and argentines.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

bewbies posted:

I bet if you told an IJN admiral this was going to happen back in 1940 he would have challenged you to a sword duel right then and there.

Did any duels happen in Japan in the 20th century?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Wart Hog mafia is at it again

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

Ah yes, the timeless debate of depleted uranium, high explosives and small arms fire vs the anti-christ still unanswered by scholars worldwide.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

PittTheElder posted:

The fact that it took so long for the submarine warfare campaign to pay off had a lot to do with the awful torpedoes they were stuck with though. Fix those and it would have proven decisive far faster.

The biggest warship engagements that the Mk 14 screwed up were in 1943. That's not early enough to be compatible with attrition before the main event in a decisive battle model.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

Ah yes, the timeless debate of depleted uranium, high explosives and small arms fire vs the anti-christ still unanswered by scholars worldwide.

You need air superiority, CAS and a plane that can do both when supporting your JSOC missions against seven headed beasts with leopard faces, this is just basic Clausewitz

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

I'm still bummed that Stuart Slade and his friends were such chuds because "The US uses superior firepower to take out Satan's armies and then marches to the gates of heaven and besieges god" was really interesting and made me on some visceral level appreciate Clancy style airport fiction.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

Did any duels happen in Japan in the 20th century?
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to google for any kind of historical info on Japanese swordsmen that aren't Miyamoto Musashi? :negative:

Duels were made illegal in 1889 and are punishable by death (even today), for what it's worth. Maybe the Japanese government actually enforced that law, unlike practically every government before them. :shrug:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 5, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

xthetenth posted:

The biggest warship engagements that the Mk 14 screwed up were in 1943. That's not early enough to be compatible with attrition before the main event in a decisive battle model.

Oh yeah I'm not saying that the subs could or should have been employed for some sort of decisive battle action, it's just kind of shocking when you see just how effective the US submarine campaign was, and then realize that they were fighting with one arm tied behind their back for much of the war.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm still bummed that Stuart Slade and his friends were such chuds because "The US uses superior firepower to take out Satan's armies and then marches to the gates of heaven and besieges god" was really interesting and made me on some visceral level appreciate Clancy style airport fiction.

I grew up as a non-denominational evangelical Christian, and one of the ideas of this particular flavor of Protestantism is that demons and angels are real, they look like common depictions of them, and they are all around us, unseen, protecting us and tempting us, and they are full on at war. The point is to add a militaristic aspect to one's faith, as though one is actually fighting demons when they make moral choices, so that's the mindset I was in when I was 8-13ish. This dude Frank Peretti wrote these books (Piercing the Darkness and this Present Darkness) where he described such a world, with major angels and demons doing full on battle unseen in our bedrooms as we struggle against jacking off, and it was just the most badass thing I'd ever read. It's given me a lifelong interest in wars against, between or otherwise involving the Host of heaven and hordes of the Pit, as well as a silly interest in things like angel hierarchies and ranks and purposes of demons.

As an agnostic now, I still enjoy the topics and I can recommend God's Demon by Wayne Barlowe (also his art of hell is like nothing you've seen) and Son of the Morning by Mark Alder (h/t Phanatic) as two modern non-Christian novels that get into this world. Son of the Morning is particularly interesting as it asks "what if the 14th c. European view of the Divine Right of kings was literally true, that God sets people in their station and nobles are literally the betters of peasants, that God only lends aid to kings and that can change depending on piety. The major issue at the beginning of the book as England and France approach the 100 Years war is is that Edward III cannot summon the angels of England to aid him against the angels of France because, unbeknownst to him, Edward II yet lives in secret exile, making Edward III technically and unwittingly an usurper of the throne and therefore an illegitimate ruler. It's pretty funny too.

Are the Slade books worth reading, I mean I can get into a Clancy book even knowing that he's full of poo poo and a facist

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Siivola posted:

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to google for any kind of historical info on Japanese swordsmen that aren't Miyamoto Musashi? :negative:

Probably about as difficult as googling Imperial Japanese warships without bringing up anime girls.

Speaking of which, I have stumbled upon a hilarious game by going to my various coworkers and testing the google algorithm to figure out which of my coworkers are secretly into anime or not. Basically going to their computer and googling "akagi" or similar and seeing what comes up.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'd have a hard time believing that as long as they could represent what they were doing as patriotic, considering there are coup attempts that got house arrest for 20 days.

PittTheElder posted:

Oh yeah I'm not saying that the subs could or should have been employed for some sort of decisive battle action, it's just kind of shocking when you see just how effective the US submarine campaign was, and then realize that they were fighting with one arm tied behind their back for much of the war.

In fairness, the biggest obstacle for the USN sinking more ships was lack of ships to sink, so ships they sunk would've

zoux posted:

Are the Slade books worth reading, I mean I can get into a Clancy book even knowing that he's full of poo poo and a facist

His main ones are a series of lovingly written nuclear holocausts interspersed with political figures he doesn't like dying in contrived ways. They're unpleasant at best, though the actual nuclear war stuff is knowledgeable enough that in the first book it's a redeeming unpleasantness of the hell of a WWII gone right for Germany leaving the US to decide to launch a nuclear campaign to end Germany as a threat.

The salvation war ones are kind of interesting. It's the modern world slapping the poo poo out of hell, and partially out of heaven before he stopped writing. Plus he's pretending he's not an utterly odious slime, so the politics are less galling. It's got some interesting stuff in the margins of worldviews realigning, and the main show is pretty wild.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 5, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

The concept behind The Salvation War is far better than the execution.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

This is also very true.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Probably about as difficult as googling Imperial Japanese warships without bringing up anime girls.

Speaking of which, I have stumbled upon a hilarious game by going to my various coworkers and testing the google algorithm to figure out which of my coworkers are secretly into anime or not. Basically going to their computer and googling "akagi" or similar and seeing what comes up.

i tested it out and "milhist thread reader" won out over "anime liker" so it's not a bulletproof test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Which is