Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

zoux posted:

Which is

The Salvation War: Hell steps up to the plate to try and take over the Earth. Pretty much from the start it becomes clear that they might've been able to do it in the 1940s or so but they did it by sending an army into basically the middle of Iraq 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do flights of demons show up on AWACS

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ice Fist posted:

Ah yes, the timeless debate of depleted uranium, high explosives and small arms fire vs the anti-christ still unanswered by scholars worldwide.

YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED BY THE HOLY GHOST
YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED BY THE GOD PLUTONIUM
IN FACT...
YOU WILL NOT BE SAVED!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Isn't that just the plot to DOOM?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

Are the Slade books worth reading, I mean I can get into a Clancy book even knowing that he's full of poo poo and a facist

So Slade was/is IIRC, a nuke analyst. And that's his big claim to fame in his books is that he has super detailed knowledge as to US (non-class) nuclear policies and thus could write compelling technothrillers the way Clancy does; however that's only half of it; the other half of it is that he was also a regular poster on Stardestroyer.net. So In the case of his Earth is invaded by Hell series actually also worked various other forums posters as guest insert characters into his story and likewise much like how Something Awful has various threads maintained by people who are experts in their fields, Slade would get input and advice on various fields and use that to write something that could come across as more plausible given that it's still basically science fiction. So you have the Clancy technothriller compelling narrative thing and they were quite popular.

However he also mainly wrote them on the fanfic board of Stardestroyer, usually posting an advance chapter on his own personal forums with the intent of later self publishing them (Oh man if he had access to Patreon back then...). Which isn't unreasonable as this is also what he did with his previous series which he did self-publish series called "The Big One" which was an alt-hist science fiction series where because England was knocked out of the war, the US stockpiled a LOT of nukes and just carpet nuked Nazi occupied Europe and the series basically picked up from to follow the post-war new order of a world divided in a USA-USSR alliance vs a World Wide Islamic Wahhabist Caliphate and their remnant German advisors, and their Japanese allies who fully occupy China.

Highlights:
-South African soldiers running over Obama's dad before Obama was born. Why? Just Because It Could Happen.
-Slade engage in an almost Dante like obsession with hating Robert McNamara for his "Treason" of not liking bombers and preferring ICBMs over the glorious bomber.
-Islamophobia. Slade tried to hem and haw about this, but at one point when an Muslim forums poster critiqued Slades interpretation of how a world wide sharia caliphate "would actually be like" Slade on Stardestroyed hemmed and hawed about how it wasn't supposed to be taken as "real" but as :airquote: deconstruction :airquote: of wishful fulfillment and how it fucks everyone over to get what they want (while still maintaining that a Wahabbist Caliphate is what muslims actually want) but then on his personal forums which are private unless you happened to be a member of both forums (cough), bad mouthed him as like, a islamist jihadist mole.

Slade would later go on to have a meltdown when some Ukrainian poster posted the pdf of his written works up until that point on a torrent site and then left stardestroyer in a huff when the forums refused to ban that poster; and honestly I don't really remember the details but I think Slades stardom with Stardestroyer was on very shakey ground as Slade's honestly batshit conservativism had finally run its course and the forums user base at large got more and more familiar with the people he was friends with; like the guy he made a moderator of his website that honestly wanted 600 million "liberals" to be killed off.

So, are his End Times books worth reading, hrm; I mean back when he was a regular they were fairly popular if a bit controversial and there's cool things about them but he's turned out to be such a shithead in the end that I don't think so. They were fun at the time especially in the way he interacted with the community and people look forward to new chapters; and he was much more restrained in leaving out his assholery when writing; but at one point he wanted to have a chapter where they discovered that aborted fetuses went to hell and there were eaten by demons and continued to live in pain and agony as malformed lumps of sentient flesh.

He also had a chapter where a woman who had died of old age successfully sued to have her will revoked and kept he estate instead of giving it to her now adult kids and their family who were in debt; our of pure boomer selfishness because he had to work in hatred of millennials in I guess.

And McNamara is in the 9th circle of hell alongside Brutus and the other famous traitors of history.

I'm not sure but there might be something interesting in reading a community interested writing project headed by a conservative broken by 9/11 but not completely driven yet to insanity by having a black man in the white house and thus operated under some modicum of restraint when writing. Like Kliment Voroshilov sets up a new peoples republic populated by all of the souls of everyone who died in the USSR and is one of the protagonists along with Julius Caesar who has a Republic of his own after Hell is liberated. So you have weird and interesting things occasionally interspersed by what the gently caress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That famous Roman Republican, Julius Caesar.

Sounds like I'll give them a miss then, cheers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Like the basic idea (the Apocalypse happens but nobody checked on human technology since medieval times and the demons get curbstomped) is interesting, but even the basic writing is just okay before you get to Slade being an rear end in a top hat.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

zoux posted:

Sounds like I'll give them a miss then, cheers.
In fairness, being stabbed in the back by half the senate because they didn't like how much power you concentrated in yourself probably gives you something to think about for Round 2.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

zoux posted:

I mean he literally was, assuming you count Sulla as one which most people do.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It seemed to veer between cool and weird constantly. I liked the stuff with James Randi IIRC.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Like the basic idea (the Apocalypse happens but nobody checked on human technology since medieval times and the demons get curbstomped) is interesting, but even the basic writing is just okay before you get to Slade being an rear end in a top hat.

That premise was already used in the ridiculous Doom novelizations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If they had "checked on humanity" would they have, what, started infernal DARPA? Imagine military procurement in Hell.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ice Fist posted:

Ah yes, the timeless debate of depleted uranium, high explosives and small arms fire vs the anti-christ still unanswered by scholars worldwide.

And gets funnier if you're familiar with the Bible and realize that 'the Anti-christ' is nowhere to be found and is a fabrication of later scholars, generally conflated with the false prophet of Revelation.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

I grew up as a non-denominational evangelical Christian, and one of the ideas of this particular flavor of Protestantism is that demons and angels are real, they look like common depictions of them, and they are all around us, unseen, protecting us and tempting us, and they are full on at war. The point is to add a militaristic aspect to one's faith, as though one is actually fighting demons when they make moral choices, so that's the mindset I was in when I was 8-13ish. This dude Frank Peretti wrote these books (Piercing the Darkness and this Present Darkness) where he described such a world, with major angels and demons doing full on battle unseen in our bedrooms as we struggle against jacking off, and it was just the most badass thing I'd ever read. It's given me a lifelong interest in wars against, between or otherwise involving the Host of heaven and hordes of the Pit, as well as a silly interest in things like angel hierarchies and ranks and purposes of demons.
become orthodox lol

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Imagine military procurement in Hell.
yeah it's the germanosphere

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

become orthodox lol

Oooh exarchs

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Oooh exarchs

why are you not in the religionthread then, you'd probably like it

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

If they had "checked on humanity" would they have, what, started infernal DARPA? Imagine military procurement in Hell.

IIRC The Demons are for their credit decently quick to react and adapt to the situation they find themselves in. IIRC they adapt very rapidly through centuries of organizational and tactical evolution to adapt to the humans they're facing. If they had realized it isn't a far stretch to imagine they would have tried various far more damaging means of striking at humanity.

Also Slade thought Gen. Patraeus was the greatest modern US General to Ever Live and made him a 5-Star General/Supreme Commander of UN & US forces.

You can imagine the huge smile on my face when the news broke about him leaking classified docs to his reporter mistress canning his career.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

zoux posted:

Oh my god this would be amazing. Like the Pentagon wars but debating if an interdimensional transport should be able to survive an attack by the doomslayer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Raenir Salazar posted:

IIRC The Demons are for their credit decently quick to react and adapt to the situation they find themselves in. IIRC they adapt very rapidly through centuries of organizational and tactical evolution to adapt to the humans they're facing. If they had realized it isn't a far stretch to imagine they would have tried various far more damaging means of striking at humanity.

Also Slade thought Gen. Patraeus was the greatest modern US General to Ever Live and made him a 5-Star General/Supreme Commander of UN & US forces.

You can imagine the huge smile on my face when the news broke about him leaking classified docs to his reporter mistress canning his career.

Petraeus had some really embarrassing hero worship before that. Call of Duty: Black Ops II depicted him as the Secretary of Defense in 2025.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

zoux posted:

I grew up as a non-denominational evangelical Christian, and one of the ideas of this particular flavor of Protestantism is that demons and angels are real, they look like common depictions of them, and they are all around us, unseen, protecting us and tempting us, and they are full on at war. The point is to add a militaristic aspect to one's faith, as though one is actually fighting demons when they make moral choices, so that's the mindset I was in when I was 8-13ish. This dude Frank Peretti wrote these books (Piercing the Darkness and this Present Darkness) where he described such a world, with major angels and demons doing full on battle unseen in our bedrooms as we struggle against jacking off, and it was just the most badass thing I'd ever read. It's given me a lifelong interest in wars against, between or otherwise involving the Host of heaven and hordes of the Pit, as well as a silly interest in things like angel hierarchies and ranks and purposes of demons. t

sidebar: do you know a good book that gives the history of how "vague biblical references" turned into elaborate, almost DnD esque typologies of angels and demons?

Also thank you ship friends for answering my Whale Prince questions, I think I get it now

HEY GUNS posted:

become orthodox lol

wait, are all these sick typologies orthodox? not fair

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nebakenezzer posted:

wait, are all these sick typologies orthodox? not fair
no, the super detailed hair splitting typologies are medieval Catholic, they loved that poo poo

zoux should still become orthodox, and you should as well

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

That and Saxony-Poland-Lithuania are your answer for all of life's problems.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

HEY GUNS posted:

no, the super detailed hair splitting typologies are medieval Catholic, they loved that poo poo

Give the Jews more credit, there's plenty of that stuff in the mishneh torah and the Kabbala as well.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

chitoryu12 posted:

Petraeus had some really embarrassing hero worship before that. Call of Duty: Black Ops II depicted him as the Secretary of Defense in 2025.

It’s 100% because he has a name that sounds like some Roman general that led legions to victory.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Don Gato posted:

That and Saxony-Poland-Lithuania are your answer for all of life's problems.
never steered me wrong so far

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

zoux posted:

I grew up as a non-denominational evangelical Christian, and one of the ideas of this particular flavor of Protestantism is that demons and angels are real, they look like common depictions of them, and they are all around us, unseen, protecting us and tempting us, and they are full on at war. The point is to add a militaristic aspect to one's faith, as though one is actually fighting demons when they make moral choices, so that's the mindset I was in when I was 8-13ish. This dude Frank Peretti wrote these books (Piercing the Darkness and this Present Darkness) where he described such a world, with major angels and demons doing full on battle unseen in our bedrooms as we struggle against jacking off, and it was just the most badass thing I'd ever read. It's given me a lifelong interest in wars against, between or otherwise involving the Host of heaven and hordes of the Pit, as well as a silly interest in things like angel hierarchies and ranks and purposes of demons.

As an agnostic now, I still enjoy the topics and I can recommend God's Demon by Wayne Barlowe (also his art of hell is like nothing you've seen) and Son of the Morning by Mark Alder (h/t Phanatic) as two modern non-Christian novels that get into this world. Son of the Morning is particularly interesting as it asks "what if the 14th c. European view of the Divine Right of kings was literally true, that God sets people in their station and nobles are literally the betters of peasants, that God only lends aid to kings and that can change depending on piety. The major issue at the beginning of the book as England and France approach the 100 Years war is is that Edward III cannot summon the angels of England to aid him against the angels of France because, unbeknownst to him, Edward II yet lives in secret exile, making Edward III technically and unwittingly an usurper of the throne and therefore an illegitimate ruler. It's pretty funny too.

Are the Slade books worth reading, I mean I can get into a Clancy book even knowing that he's full of poo poo and a facist

William Wallace's son is gonna be an usurper no matter how you look at it.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

HEY GUNS posted:

never steered me wrong so far

Best Saxon fact: the imperial office associated with their electoral title is Erzmarschall despite the fact that their military record is basically a string of ignominious failures

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

blackmongoose posted:

Best Saxon fact: the imperial office associated with their electoral title is Erzmarschall despite the fact that their military record is basically a string of ignominious failures
yes their military history is 95% pure failure

edit: but they DO own the Meissen Sword

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

zoux posted:

Imagine military procurement in Hell.

Yes, I read the Canadian procurement posts in Cold War thread.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Yes, I read the Canadian procurement posts in Cold War thread.

What's so hellish about buying up whatever the US or UK write off?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What's the year or time period you guys believe that western europe pulled decisively ahead of the rest of the world in military technology and tactics?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ensign Expendable posted:

The part where it catches fire while submerged?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lawman 0 posted:

What's the year or time period you guys believe that western europe pulled decisively ahead of the rest of the world in military technology and tactics?

Samnite wars

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Oh my friend, the cold war thread has such sights to show you :cenobite:

Phanatic posted:

Give the Jews more credit, there's plenty of that stuff in the mishneh torah and the Kabbala as well.

HEY GUNS posted:

Fair enough

Are there good books on this sorta Jewish/medieval catholic shenanigans?

Also do the orthodox have knightly orders, I figure that's the main advantage the Catholics have

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lawman 0 posted:

probably the same time as the Great Divergence in everything else, mid to late 18th century ish

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Shovel with a hole in it, a helicopter replacement program that's been going on for decades, billions wasted in cancelled contracts that are then restarted the next time the government changes, the real question is how do they gently caress up so badly?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Samnite wars

That's a spicy take

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

wdarkk posted:

The part where it catches fire while submerged?

Oh my no, that would require spending money on running it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Raenir Salazar posted:

From what I remember this is trickier than it seems. Because Roman Martial culture seemed to really value the offense and taking the fight to the enemy and a weak center is almost too tempting to pass up; if you pass on it, it might kill your career, label you a coward etc maybe?
Very much so. Previously, Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus basically pulled a new army out of his rear end from scratch after previous setbacks and had them wandering around the peninsula engaging in guerilla warfare against Hannibal. This was actually very successful and it was frustrating Hannibal, but stuck Fabius with the nickname "the delayer" aka "huge loving pussy." He eventually caved in to his co-counsel to split the forces, and his Minucius immediately went and got his half wrecked in one of Hannibal's traps.

On the other hand, he later has to deal with this Scipio guy who has the bright idea of "Hey I know how to get rid of Hannibal! Let me sail our guys over to Africa and start poking Carthage with a stick directly!" Of course Rome went for it, but of course that's the time it worked fantastically.