Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Ripoff posted:

I wish the username character limit was larger. :(

Kowloon Baron Goon fits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Oh, i always thought it was something you could do in civil court.

Ianal. You might be thinking of easements, where a property owner sometimes can't do things like block the end of your drive that is technically on their property but you always use, or adverse possession, where you night gain ownership of land because everyone already thought you already owned it for a long time and you built stuff on it, or some combination.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
No, I was literally thinking cartoon villain corporation wants a condo highrise; your house and a few others have refused to sell, and now they want to play hardball.

Like. An eleventh dimensional long term strategy years in the making.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mister Facetious posted:

No, I was literally thinking cartoon villain corporation wants a condo highrise; your house and a few others have refused to sell, and now they want to play hardball.

This happens surprisingly often. All it takes is persuading the government that "economic development" and there you go.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This happens surprisingly often. All it takes is persuading the government that "economic development" and there you go.

not as often as you'd think, luckily

https://www.lincolninst.edu/sites/d...velopment_0.pdf

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ripoff posted:

I wish the username character limit was larger. :(

HK μ-apt slumlord?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Or get the village council to declare the homes a "blight" like what happened in Wisconsin for the totally real deal for the Foxconn plant. Although apparently they weren't quite morally bankrupt enough to actually condemn the houses, just imply it when negotiating.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I was a slumlord for a bit, not fun and everyone hated each other.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I was a slumlord for a bit, not fun and everyone hated each other.

How much money did you make landlord?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

We don't want to call you an "employee," but how does "indentured servant" sound?

https://twitter.com/rkgwork/status/1170134088474398725

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Old and busted: Telling kids to never get in a car with a stranger.

New hotness:
https://twitter.com/komonews/status/1169071331033395206

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
this after(weeks or months ago) that article about an uber ride that a few degrees helped a kid suicide?

also reinventing buses(and other schooling transit) but worse and forprofit

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Is jeff epstein the venture capital investor for this kid only ride service

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Is jeff epstein the venture capital investor for this kid only ride service

If he was, he isn't anymore.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HopSkipDrive offers service in King County starting at $22 per ride and will work with schools and social services to give kids a ride.

So quick math. 220 bucks per week for 2 rides a day.

loving really

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

HopSkipDrive offers service in King County starting at $22 per ride and will work with schools and social services to give kids a ride.

So quick math. 220 bucks per week for 2 rides a day.

loving really

Per kid!

Imagine how a school bus driver makes and do some math, lol

Disrupt

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I have to wonder how many people can afford that, but can't afford to hire a nanny to pick up their kids.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you allow your chauffeur Jeeves to be seen at the elementary school in the same car twice

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Doggles posted:

Old and busted: Telling kids to never get in a car with a stranger.

New hotness:
https://twitter.com/komonews/status/1169071331033395206

What if school buses, but private and not for the poor kids.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MickeyFinn posted:

What if X, but private and not for the poor Y

Generally.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MickeyFinn posted:

What if school buses, but private and not for the poor kids.

Uber but for ____ apps are designed by men who are shocked and furious that earning six figures doesn't net you a "rich" lifestyle anymore, not like the ones they grew up seeing on TV. I can't afford a chauffeur or a private chef but I've got Uber and Postmates so you won't catch me doing my own labor like a dirty poor.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

My immediate thought was "Let me guess, even at that take they don't do background checks on drivers"

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

RuanGacho posted:

My immediate thought was "Let me guess, even at that take they don't do background checks on drivers"

They contract to a background check service that they secretly own and that consists of 3 interns searching for names on Google and lexisnexis

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

JK Fresco posted:

They contract to a background check service that they secretly own and that consists of 3 interns searching for names on Google and lexisnexis

Interns are unpaid but gaining valuable "experience" in a innovative and disrupting environment.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
This Media Lab scandal is wild. Until yesterday I didn't even know what MIT Media Lab is. A short summary is this: MIT's Media Lab is a machine to launder tech billionaire money in to propaganda that is used to support the tech industry. It was run by a college drop out and club DJ (who got a PhD in 2018, 7 years after assuming the director's role). They took $8 million from Jeffery Epstein after he plead guilty in 2008 to "procuring for prostitution a girl below age 18". Basically, the entire institution is a way for MIT to grant academic legitimacy to TED-talks in exchange for money and in return launder the reputation of billionaires. Joi Ito, aforementioned DJ, just resigned for taking Epstein's money.

I know why rich people thought this was a good idea, but holy cow the techno-fetishists bought in to the propaganda hook, line and sinker. MIT prostituting itself for money is very on brand for a private school, too.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

MickeyFinn posted:

This Media Lab scandal is wild. Until yesterday I didn't even know what MIT Media Lab is. A short summary is this: MIT's Media Lab is a machine to launder tech billionaire money in to propaganda that is used to support the tech industry. It was run by a college drop out and club DJ (who got a PhD in 2018, 7 years after assuming the director's role). They took $8 million from Jeffery Epstein after he plead guilty in 2008 to "procuring for prostitution a girl below age 18". Basically, the entire institution is a way for MIT to grant academic legitimacy to TED-talks in exchange for money and in return launder the reputation of billionaires. Joi Ito, aforementioned DJ, just resigned for taking Epstein's money.

I know why rich people thought this was a good idea, but holy cow the techno-fetishists bought in to the propaganda hook, line and sinker. MIT prostituting itself for money is very on brand for a private school, too.

They're not prostituting themselves. They are helping their own people and social circle using their own peoples' money. This is more like a wife sleeping with her husband.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm glad this blew up

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

JK Fresco posted:

This is more like a wife sleeping with her husband.
:chloe:

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

JK Fresco posted:

They're not prostituting themselves. They are helping their own people and social circle using their own peoples' money. This is more like a wife sleeping with her husband.

I think I see where you are coming from, in that the people who work at Media Lab have always been in bed with billionaires and the associated TED-talk pseudo-science circuit (or aspired to be). But, all of the people who I have encountered (on Twitter) from Media Lab that are fuming over the Epstein money clearly see themselves as academics working for the betterment of mankind and not paid corporate propaganda peddlers. So I think it is worthwhile to point out what they are doing rather than rely on the fact that it is obvious.

Anand Giridharadas, who wrote a book on corporate/billionaire money being used to turn charity to the devices of the rich, thinks that Joi Ito should simply be replaced by a woman, because women won't accept a pedophile's money clandestinely. He still hasn't put together that the existence of places like Media Lab is a fundamental part of the problem his book is about, he even served on the board for the Disobedience Award (I think that's the name)! That Epstein was a pedophile is just the tip of the iceberg.

Edit: I kinda went on a bit of a rant there before I realized that you are probably responding only to the MIT part of my original post. In which case I think I agree more with your post.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
What are the most notable ideas which have come out of the MIT Media Lab?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

silence_kit posted:

That accepting billionaire pedophile money is okay until you get caught.

I assume they also just kept the money.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

silence_kit posted:

Apparently they were the source of mpeg-4 and some part of what became google maps (and now all other mapping apps). In other Media Lab news, the Agriculture Computer program is a fraud:

quote:

An ambitious project that purported to turn anyone into a farmer with a single tool is scraping by with smoke-and-mirror tactics, employees told Business Insider.

The "personal food computer," a device that MIT Media Lab senior researcher Caleb Harper presented as helping thousands of people across the globe grow custom, local food, simply doesn't work, according to two employees and multiple internal documents that Business Insider viewed. One person asked not to be identified for fear of retaliation.

That article was published 4 hours ago (by Business Insider's clock). Can you imagine working on a story about how an apparently major tech "thought center" has been grifting for money, including fraud, and then a few days before you get your story to print the director of the same place resigns for being chummy with a billionaire pedophile and covering it up?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Who would’ve thought that Joi Ito would be responsible for instructing jerk offs how to hide donations?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
MIT Media Lab is the MIT equivalent of a “unique philosophy of integrating physical exercise with spiritual and mathematical stimulation.”

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

silence_kit posted:

they gave K. Eric Drexler a Ph.D in nanotechnology ... the sci-fi magical miniature robots version, that chemists bang their heads against walls about, not the real things version

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

divabot posted:

nanotechnology ... not the real things version

aka ‘chemistry’. Nano-technology is just a marketing term for chemistry.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

silence_kit posted:

aka ‘chemistry’. Nano-technology is just a marketing term for chemistry.

actual chemists have taken over the word now, but even ten years ago they were having to fend off a lot more magical microscopic robot nonsense

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

divabot posted:

actual chemists have taken over the word now, but even ten years ago they were having to fend off a lot more magical microscopic robot nonsense

I understand that Eric Drexler is a crank. Real chemists use the term primarily to make normal chemistry and material science research sound more novel and exciting to government agencies. Nano-technology is a marketing term.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MickeyFinn posted:

I worked there years ago, this has been true for as long as it's existed. There's literally a thing called "sponsor week" where everyone trots out their segway alternatives and lovely haptic interface prototypes for Sony, Raytheon, Intel, whoever shows up. I dunno why this is news all of a sudden, but I can definitely confirm it. No idea leaves the media lab without an extremely large corporate handshake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This whole drat article.