Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Skynet sends back an advanced Twitter bot... to 1983.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Grendels Dad posted:

Skynet sends back an advanced Twitter bot... to 1983.

this is how we got Tay

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Fish Noise posted:

up until this post, I had thought it was Genisys that first tried to approach the concept of a gas Terminator to fill out the set with solid and liquid, not T3.

my new Terminator concept: the vacuum Terminator. Skynet sends back... nothing. fires a blank into the past, leaving the sign of a time machine arrival, destructive paranoia does the rest.
the key & peele gremlins sketch but terminators

Electricity Terminator!
Ice Terminator!
Wind Terminator!
Shrinking Terminator!
Voltron Terminator!
Super-speed Terminator!
Ghost-like-in-Matrix-Revolutions Terminator!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
my new Terminator concept: a half-dozen or so Terminators of different models and from wildly conflicting timelines converge to find John Conner already dead. As they try to figure out which one did it and what it means for the future, more timeline-significant people turn up dead and more Terminators arrive, complicating matters.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Adult John Connor is enjoying lunch at an Arby's when his plate morphs into a T-3000 and stabs him through the eye. The screen fades out with the words "TIME PARADOX". Suddenly it's 1984 again, and a T-800 appears from a time bubble. Then another. And another. And another. We go into time-lapse mode, pulling back ever further as the world becomes covered with Arnolds from an infinite number of alternate timelines, eventually collapsing into a black hole under their weight. The end.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: the vacuum Terminator. Skynet sends back... nothing. fires a blank into the past, leaving the sign of a time machine arrival, destructive paranoia does the rest.

Honestly this is a pretty good idea. Paranoid movies are always fun, and an AI should be able to do a lot with a gun that blows a 2-metre sphere through any point in time and space

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Payndz posted:

Adult John Connor is enjoying lunch at an Arby's when his plate morphs into a T-3000 and stabs him through the eye. The screen fades out with the words "TIME PARADOX". Suddenly it's 1984 again, and a T-800 appears from a time bubble. Then another. And another. And another. We go into time-lapse mode, pulling back ever further as the world becomes covered with Arnolds from an infinite number of alternate timelines, eventually collapsing into a black hole under their weight. The end.

Groundhog Day, but Bill Murray is a Terminater.

All You Need Is Terminate.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: a half-dozen or so Terminators of different models and from wildly conflicting timelines converge to find John Conner already dead. As they try to figure out which one did it and what it means for the future, more timeline-significant people turn up dead and more Terminators arrive, complicating matters.

Clue but with Terminators trying to figure out which timeline is now correct would be extremely good.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

You could have a terminator that turns itself into whatever food it eats. For instance if it eats a poisoned apple it'd just have to play the waiting game until John Conner comes along and starts feeling a bit peckish...Then "OOh I'm not feeling so good" and well, so much for the resistance.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Adapt Terminator vs. Aliens vs. Predator you cowards.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

a further future Terminator you say?

my new Terminator concept: the hero Terminator has been wandering for thousands of years searching not for a specific individual, but a particular trait that may or may not even exist anymore, occasionally helping out the scattered groups of surviving humans he comes across. in the latest encounter, a possible solution to his objective is presented, but this attracts the attention of cops who think the solution to crime is to execute all poor people, and they infiltrate in their own Terminator.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ruddiger posted:

Adapt Terminator vs. Aliens vs. Predator you cowards.

VS Robocop. Obviously.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fish Noise posted:

a further future Terminator you say?

my new Terminator concept: the hero Terminator has been wandering for thousands of years searching not for a specific individual, but a particular trait that may or may not even exist anymore, occasionally helping out the scattered groups of surviving humans he comes across. in the latest encounter, a possible solution to his objective is presented, but this attracts the attention of cops who think the solution to crime is to execute all poor people, and they infiltrate in their own Terminator.

I like it, but maybe we can change it up a little by not having it be so much a wasteland as this... perpetually growing city.

Maybe it could be in space or something.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fish Noise posted:

Ideally this results in basically Bloodsport but all the competitors are different Terminators fighting to prove which one's timeline managed to kill John Connor.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Ideally this results in basically Bloodsport but all the competitors are different Terminators fighting to prove which one's timeline managed to kill John Connor.

Sorry, the law states that all Terminators must be Arnolds.

He can have different hair, though.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Adapt Terminator vs. Verhoven Robocop written by Walt Simonson YOU COWARDS

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Grendels Dad posted:

He can have different hair, though.

Wrong.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cythereal posted:

The concept art stuff also made the dust terminator creepy as hell because the idea is that it's a terminator that can make more of itself. It's supposed to go around infecting people with nanotech, forcibly turning them into more of itself like a plague.

Conservation of matter doesn't apply to terminators anymore, I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tenzarin posted:

Skynet should really just send this back to the past.

"Hasta la vista baby" - Crushinator 10000

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

ImpAtom posted:

I think the big issue is that the T-1000 made sense as an evolution of the original robot which was intended as an infiltration unit. The T-1000 is a better infiltration unit. It doesn't have built-in laserbeams or anything, it just can copy thing well and as a side effect can kill effectively with its bare hands-turned-into-knives. (And honestly the T-800 could do that too.) Yet in the case of both of them neither machine was intended to win a battle on their own. Even the T-800 in the original film taking on the police station was more it taking advantage of shock and awe.

Every Terminator since then has been like a combat machine designed to kick rear end and that isn't really the point of Terminators. They're not actually the most effective killing machine Skynet has. They're just the only one it can reliably send back without the military shooting it with a bazooka.

I sort of like how Sarah Connor Chronicles tackled this. Even without their own robot, Sarah and Co were shown to be extremely capabale of defeating a terminators once they're out in the open, especially because for as tough as they are they really can't be creative and will follow a predictable set of behaviors. They'd ambush them with explosives, .50 caliber rifle fire, I think they even did one in or severely wounded it with just a bunch of 12 gauge slugs. The danger always came from them being taken by surprise by an infiltrator that caught them unaware.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AlternateAccount posted:

Conservation of matter doesn't apply to terminators anymore, I guess.

Why would that be an issue? It's a grey goo scenario, it's not making more nanotech out of nowhere. The idea is it just needs to get close enough to a Resistance fighter to infect them, and the infection then forcibly converts them into a new terminator that can then infect others.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

my new Terminator concept: Skynet shotguns Terminators all over the past, not to target anyone, but to gather information and iterate on infiltration technique. eventually, Judgement Day, Future War, the Resistance reaches Skynet's core... at which point Skynet declares its infiltration methods perfected, and everyone stops fighting on the spot.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mameluke posted:

Honestly this is a pretty good idea. Paranoid movies are always fun, and an AI should be able to do a lot with a gun that blows a 2-metre sphere through any point in time and space

Yeah this is a cool concept. Would probably make a killer Twilight Zone episode though. A machine in the future trying to take out a group of targets who absolutely have to stay off the grid, otherwise they get future sniped.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am afraid you are all well outside the core goal of making the eleventh nostalgia trip for golden era Arnie movies. Any actual ideas you have should be saved for the set of animated features that go with the 4K collector's set, the Terminanimation.

But in seriousness, they seem to have learned a lot from how Genisys was marketed (super mega poorly) and paid the money to get the must-have stunt casting to get audiences to return. It is also rated R because Deadpool. It looks at least modestly entertaining, and not like something that should have been put out of its misery after 1991. That's about what I can say at this point, having not looked at script spoilers (because really, don't).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Tenzarin posted:

Skynet should really just send this back to the past.

Only if John Conner tries to teach it to smile. And it does as it terminates its enemies.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah this is a cool concept. Would probably make a killer Twilight Zone episode though. A machine in the future trying to take out a group of targets who absolutely have to stay off the grid, otherwise they get future sniped.

Oh that’s nice. Seen by a security camera? Camera phone? Your voice recorded? You’re vaporized. How do you complete your mission in a metropolis when the world thinks you’re a terrorist and you have the military, police, and terminators hunting you down?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I mean it's a powerful move but it has a hell of a windup with all the lightning and wind and such.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mat Cauthon posted:

don;t you mean outer limits episode :chaostrump:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: Skynet shotguns Terminators all over the past, not to target anyone, but to gather information and iterate on infiltration technique. eventually, Judgement Day, Future War, the Resistance reaches Skynet's core... at which point Skynet declares its infiltration methods perfected, and everyone stops fighting on the spot.

The thing is, Skynet only starts sending back Terminators after it won the war, making it an unofficial entry into the Bill & Ted saga.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

All I care about is that I get to see someone futilely unloading an entire magazine into a robot's face and the robot doesn't even blink, like, why did you even think that would work?

Also at least one scene where the super strong robot puts his hands on the protagonist and then throws them non-fatally across the room instead of just snapping them in half.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Phenotype posted:

All I care about is that I get to see someone futilely unloading an entire magazine into a robot's face and the robot doesn't even blink, like, why did you even think that would work?

Also at least one scene where the super strong robot puts his hands on the protagonist and then throws them non-fatally across the room instead of just snapping them in half.

I actually like the first two films in this regard, because they don't operate on this logic. The T-800 is tough but not invulnerable. It gets knocked down by repeated shotgun blasts, gets its arm damaged in a car crash and is blown clean in half by a homemade pipe bomb. At one point in the film it has its target in front of it but has to run away because it's damaged and it doesn't want to tangle with the police. Sure, it shrugs off a few pistol rounds but it doesn't seem any tougher than a light armored vehicle. The real issue is that it's always closing in and the protagonists don't have the time or means to any effective weaponry.

That's why the trailer having Sarah Connor casually step out of a car and blast one with a LAW rocket is perfect, because of course she would do that. She spent decades training and stockpiling weapons simply to terminate terminators.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

my new Terminator concept: the hero Terminator is not in a condition to stop the villain Terminator from making its kill, when a third Teminator from some post-Skynet deep future barges in doing the Deathbulge kick, goes through the villain Terminator like it's tissue paper, and promptly exits, leaving everyone else trying to figure out when the hell it came from and what it's up to.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It would be really cool if like some Deep Mind Terminator that looked like a scuttling insect that unfolded into a weird near non-Euclidian shape came back from 20400 and just went ham on every other Terminator.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Phenotype posted:

Well that first one is the second to last bit of the official trailer, so you're halfway there.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Linda Hamilton is in Gears 5 as a multiplayer character and goddamn is it weird

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It would be really cool if like some Deep Mind Terminator that looked like a scuttling insect that unfolded into a weird near non-Euclidian shape came back from 20400 and just went ham on every other Terminator.

I mean, why wouldn't something like that happen? The time machine cat is out of the bag, and even if the humans won in 20xx, it's not impossible for a new machine civilization to arise. Like, the future is pretty loving big, why do we only ever get Terminators from twenty years ahead?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Linda Hamilton is in Gears 5 as a multiplayer character and goddamn is it weird

Should have put her in Mortal Kombat alongside Arnold

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grendels Dad posted:

I mean, why wouldn't something like that happen? The time machine cat is out of the bag, and even if the humans won in 20xx, it's not impossible for a new machine civilization to arise. Like, the future is pretty loving big, why do we only ever get Terminators from twenty years ahead?
Skynet is capitalism; we don't get any other future until we fix this badly-thought-out garbage.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i only just saw the newest trailer ahead of IT 2 and man was that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Grendels Dad posted:

That's what I'm saying too. Fish Noise got me thinking! And Halloween Jack is right about the allegory.

Just thought of a Terminator with the human tissue cloned from Karl Marx coming back to spread class consciousness. He's ok with a gun but his real power is to organize labor and terminate capitalism. And he still speaks with a thick German accent. "Dere is a terminator haunting Yer-up...."

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 6, 2019