Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dentist?

do you even have to ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Guy I know bought a fully loaded F-350 dually for the express purpose of trailering his Harley to Sturgis every year.

So that is literally the only reason? If yes, that is laughable overkill but gets a nice ride out of it and sadly we won't see a pic of a Harley strapped to the roof of a Chevy Cobalt.

I was impressed the other day when I waltzed out of the grocery store and noticed around $50 of duct tape attaching a bumper/trunk on a Buick I was impressed. The color match impressed me.

edit: Then realized how many times the word impressed was used. :v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Lmao no he's a late 30s oilfield worker

Colostomy Bag posted:

So that is literally the only reason? If yes, that is laughable overkill but gets a nice ride out of it and sadly we won't see a pic of a Harley strapped to the roof of a Chevy Cobalt.

Yes, this is literally the only thing it pulls. It replaced his 2 year old Chevy 2500HD diesel.

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 30, 2019

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lmao no he's a late 30s oilfield worker

Yes, this is literally the only thing it pulls. It replaced his 2 year old Chevy 2500HD diesel.

I’ll make a bet at 100:1 odds that he owns that truck to fit in with the other oil field guys, and uses the Harley as the excuse as to why he can’t own a smaller truck to his family and friends.

It’s loving wild seeing how suburban men are tricked into truck ownership as a proof of masculinity.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Geoj posted:

"What do you mean a severely twisted frame due to overloading isn't covered under the factory warranty?!?"

I'm sure the thought process is something like "If this was a problem, they'd have figured out some way to stop you from doing it."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Ripoff posted:

I’ll make a bet at 100:1 odds that he owns that truck to fit in with the other oil field guys, and uses the Harley as the excuse as to why he can’t own a smaller truck to his family and friends.

It’s loving wild seeing how suburban men are tricked into truck ownership as a proof of masculinity.

hello and welcome to Texas

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My wife's not a car person at all and doesn't notice them, but as we were driving through Texas she commented that even the sorority girls there seemed to all have lifted trucks. No Jettas allowed in Texas I guess

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I knew a kid in highschool who worked for an excavation company, where naturally all the employees drive immaculate trucks that never see a drop of dirt in their lives. He ended up basically mortgaging a bare bones F-350 for no reason at all except to fit in the truck club. Didn't work on the side with it, nothing to tow with it. Just bought a manual everything but the transmission for way more than he could afford truck for no reason at all. It must be a truck thing, I just don't understand.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Saw the most useless wipers on the road the other day.

They have obviously been used, but why? Was there glass there before? Did they take out the glass, put in the metal, and put the wipers back in? Why?

Or it was made with the metal put in by the factory, and Vinny the foreman said, "This model has wipers in the back, put 'em in!"

"But, sir..."

"Just do it."

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
If timg don't work here's a link: http://imgur.com/gallery/LOEHLb2

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s a vinyl wrap and someone accidentally hit the wipers one time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

That van is Ford's effort to avoid the "chicken tax".

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's my understanding as well. Ford will go so far as to make them with seats in them, ship them to the US, rip the seats out and sell them as stripped cargo vans.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, it is. Hell many many years ago there was a news piece on it. Rip out the interior, the windows (hence the wipers), etc. I couldn't believe it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

slidebite posted:

That's my understanding as well. Ford will go so far as to make them with seats in them, ship them to the US, rip the seats out and sell them as stripped cargo vans.

And then destroy the brand-new seats. Apparently it's too expensive to send them back, and the chicken tax prohibits selling them.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

One Nut Wonder posted:

Saw the most useless wipers on the road the other day.

They have obviously been used, but why? Was there glass there before? Did they take out the glass, put in the metal, and put the wipers back in? Why?

Or it was made with the metal put in by the factory, and Vinny the foreman said, "This model has wipers in the back, put 'em in!"

"But, sir..."

"Just do it."

timg tags are for the image itself, not the imgur gallery page. right click->copy image location

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

someone accidentally hit the wipers one time.

In some newer cars, the rear wiper comes on automatically if the front wipers are on and you put it in reverse. Could be like that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FuturePastNow posted:

In some newer cars, the rear wiper comes on automatically if the front wipers are on and you put it in reverse. Could be like that.

My Fiesta does this, so it's definitely plausible that a Transit Connect (which is related to the Focus platform) would do the same.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

FuturePastNow posted:

Wow, that's really cool!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

My wife's not a car person at all and doesn't notice them, but as we were driving through Texas she commented that even the sorority girls there seemed to all have lifted trucks. No Jettas allowed in Texas I guess

A few months ago I went to central Texas to visit some family.. It felt very weird being there in a Chevy Volt. When I parked at the local HEB, my car was all but invisible among the sea of trucks.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

FuturePastNow posted:

You can drop the "newer", my 2002 model Saab does that.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

gently caress you, guy who uses a trailer with walls made of grating to haul gravel.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That guy could buy a couple 10 buck tarps and some tie straps, but that would be too easy

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Craptacular posted:

gently caress you, guy who uses a trailer with walls made of grating to haul gravel.

Hi welcome to my life of driving in Texas

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Hi welcome to my life of driving in Texas
Guess what state that picture was taken in...

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Seriously. There are so many trucks dragging those trailers around here (Dallas).

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
These are the milling machines you share the road with:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/389467538451511?view=permalink&id=471720633559534

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That would have made a racket

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

slidebite posted:

That would have made a racket

No I think they're used for making industrial parts or something.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Looks like it's making potholes now.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

I wasn't able to get a picture of it, but last night I went by a Cadillac XLR with a license plate that read "LOLITA".
Just why? Checking a creepy box that I didn't even know you could check?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

nadmonk posted:

I wasn't able to get a picture of it, but last night I went by a Cadillac XLR with a license plate that read "LOLITA".
Just why? Checking a creepy box that I didn't even know you could check?

Could just be the owner's pet name. Adding -ita to the end of a female name is an endearment thing. So, take Lola (a not-uncommon name) and add -ita, Lolita. My sweet little Lola. If this is not entirely correct I'm remembering a conversation that happened years ago.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Specifically it is the Spanish feminine dimunitive - you can add it to any feminine word or name to mean that name/thing, but small and/or cute. Probably for Spanish-speaking people that would not raise any eyebrows and is indeed commonly used in girls' names.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It's also a specific nickname for Dolores. Dolores -> Lola -> (add -ita for dimunitive/small/cute) Lolita.

Honestly, I'd be more surprised if the owner HAD read the book than if their legal name was Dolores.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Irony is the name based on the plate wouldn't be legal to drive.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
so I was sitting in traffic a few nights ago behind a new(ish) Jeep Compass

the reflection of my headlights off the back of it seemed brighter than normal - so much so that I checked to see if I'd my hi-beams on

(they weren't)

was sat behind another one of those Jeeps on the drive to work today and I think I figured it out.

if that is an intentional safety factor to keep people from following too closely then I give a grudging :tipshat: to the engineering team

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

buttcrackmenace posted:

so I was sitting in traffic a few nights ago behind a new(ish) Jeep Compass

the reflection of my headlights off the back of it seemed brighter than normal - so much so that I checked to see if I'd my hi-beams on

(they weren't)

was sat behind another one of those Jeeps on the drive to work today and I think I figured it out.

if that is an intentional safety factor to keep people from following too closely then I give a grudging :tipshat: to the engineering team

Are you talking about the concave shape?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
yes

to clarify - when right behind the Jeep (as pictured above) everything was fine - but when approx 15 feet away the angle was just right to reflect my headlights right back at me..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it was engineered it'd have to be to target a specific vehicle (which would be hilarious and awesome), because the height of car headlights is not uniform.

I've never noticed any glare like that when tailing one of those and I run with DRL's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've often given thought to something like an Arduino controlled reflector that automatically returns high beams to sender with some kind of light sensors and stepper motors or some such thing. Convince people very politely to back the gently caress off.