Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Axetrain posted:

Well poo poo I had no idea, I'd stick to flower but both my dealers are out of town right now but my edibles lady sells some carts as well so I'd thought I'd try a couple. I guess I'm gonna take my chances with the two I have but switch back to herb and edibles afterwards. I don't have any respiratory problems though.

Not yet you don’t. Get really stoned and start thinking about if your cough is normal or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what about distillate syringes are those bad now? I thought the carts were supposed to be just pure distillate too if you get good ones.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’m actually pretty stoked because I’m getting cheap rear end cartridges right now and it rules.

Interesting that all these articles keep leaving out that the people getting sick are buying bootleg carts from lovely sellers.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

BigFactory posted:

It seems like even legit carts could be bad if they use vitamin e oil as the media. Maybe it’s all dangerous. It’s not like we have 30 years of vaping data to look at. The latency on lung diseases can be long. It’s scary that some people might be going from healthy to dead in a short period of time (years? Months?) because of some kind of vape product, but we could all be dead in 15 years from vape aids if it just had a long latency period. Oh well.

even the media has been pretty careful to say the vitamin e thing is just a theory. this is a just-breaking public health thing, to try and sort it into categories of "real carts" and "fake carts" is dangerous. the pictures of a few of the carts involved have been retail packaged, and some don't even appear to be "flavored."

they do not know what is causing it. it seems to be occurring in people who report only using THC carts, only using nicotine carts, and people who use both. some people notice sudden onset of symptoms, others report it set in gradually over weeks.

“The FDA is analyzing these for a broad range of chemicals but no one substance, including Vitamin E acetate, has been identified in all of the samples tested..."

I've been using a vape pen for like 2 years now, so I've not exactly quit mine, it's still a small number of cases across a wide area, but it's getting harder to do weed safely at all and i worry

The_Rob posted:

I’m actually pretty stoked because I’m getting cheap rear end cartridges right now and it rules.

Interesting that all these articles keep leaving out that the people getting sick are buying bootleg carts from lovely sellers.

acting like you know what's going on is essentially just spreading false health information. don't bother with the news articles. the CDC is less sensationalist and makes no such claims because we honestly don't know.

i cannot possibly reconcile your claim here with the fact that a number of presentations have been in nicotine-only carts, which are not illegal and thus not "bootleg." it may turn out to be right, but it's too early to say for certain. telling people they're OK isn't right, people should know it's a risk until we know more and make an informed decision.

this is one of the reported carts, again, not bootleg or flavored: https://www.dankvapes.org/product/dank-vapes-diamond-og/

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe1912032?query=recirc_curatedRelated_article
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1911614?query=recirc_curatedRelated_article
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1912038?query=recirc_curatedRelated_article
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1911995?query=recirc_curatedRelated_article

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 6, 2019

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The_Rob posted:

USAToday posted:

In New York state, 32 cases of vaping-related illness have been reported, with a “vast majority” involving people who vape illicit marijuana. None has involved medical marijuana products sold in compliance with state law.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I meant within the headlines. I should have clarified. That’s my bad.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It’s also possible that in 10 years we will look back at all vaping as something that’s fundamentally unsafe, too. Who knows. I’m sticking to packing lippers of schwag dust.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've been avoiding cartridges since this became news. It's not like I dislike smoking weed, carts are just so convenient

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That is just talking about New York. There are 56 other states.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm still going for my cartridges all the time and have been having zero issues for like 2 years. Maybe don't buy your carts from incredibly shady sources like your dealer saying he got the best new stuff ever. :shrug:

Not saying there aren't tainted carts out there, but use discretion and you'll be fine.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

PokeJoe posted:

I've been avoiding cartridges since this became news. It's not like I dislike smoking weed, carts are just so convenient

Same. I was going through a cartridge every few days, if they end up being bad for me I'd be firmly stuck with whatever consequences might exist.

So I'm just not gonna risk it, back to grinding flower and cleaning glass for me.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Tainted Carts
I got to
Vape away
I got to
Smoke away

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

We get it dude, you're against carts, sweet fuckin poo poo do we need a diatribe every time they're mentioned?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The biggest commonality in the weed-related cases is that they were all purchased from the black market. And to whoever mentioned Dank Vapes earlier, that poo poo is just like Platinum Vapes. You can buy the packaging in bulk online, so you can't trust the packaging. Regardless, I think I want to switch to edibles soon because man, this poo poo can't be good for my lungs.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there isnt a guanranteed safe way to vape or smoke anything at all, including marijuana. unfortunately edibles dont work for me and ive inhaled way worse poo poo and i live in a valley full of smog and burning fiberglass literally on top of a freeway so im not going to worry about the carts too much

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'm pretty sure the ones I got were real since I know her and she gets them from a dispensary. I can see how these are appealing through convenience though. Just push a button and boom instant huge hit and I'm highg as gently caress. They don't feel very harsh on my lungs at least, so that proves there are no negative consequences! *lungs immediately explode out of my chest*

Also have a funny climate change video so we can laugh at out grimdark future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOmdkN6MOwU

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 7, 2019

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Some guy online posted:

As someone who has experience in this industry I can point to the cause.

Biomass ("trim") was very easy to source leading up to CA recreational legalization in 2018. For those of you who don't know the majority of cannabis nationally comes from CA and OR. Legalization brought with it enforcement against unlicensed NorCal farms that drastically reduced supply. This was amplified by the massive overproduction of the 2017 market that had many farmers leave the market due to extremely low prices. This is evidenced by the shutdown of soil/grow supply warehouses throughout NorCal.

By February 2019 the last of the October 2018 harvest had been processed to distillate. Many operators started reprocessing waste material. At the same time, distillate started to make it's way over from Mexico. There is a drought of product in the black market but wholesale buyers were reluctant to pay higher prices after becoming accustomed to the low prices of 2018. In the beginning unscrupulous sellers started diluting their product by 60%. Buyers eventually caught on to the charade and started paying attention to the reduced viscosity of the oil as an indicator of cutting agents. Sellers countered this by adding thickening agents.

Now you have an illicit market with high demand, not enough supply, and customers that represent established black markets across the country that don't want to pay a risk premium for oil.

The cutting agents themselves are expensive so people have started making their own. Now people are getting sick from the cutting agents.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
new york reporting in.

We have like brass knuckle and kingmaker (i think thats what its called) going around and i dunno if they are ones that get faked a lot. (apparently brass knuckles is?)

Our governor loves the taste of cop rear end in a top hat so he keeps making these half-step laws where to get full medicinal approval you have to be near death and possession is still a misdemeanor, which means cops can still gently caress with you for having weed but now instead of killing your weekend they can kill your wallet.

Under a O is 50 bucks more than 2 O is like 200 bucks (so the amounts in between can get a ticket for any amount in between I suppose. Yay!

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just because tangerine dream is the new favorite skin doesnt mean everyone has to buy it, Connor

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

AkumaHokoru posted:

new york reporting in.

We have like brass knuckle and kingmaker (i think thats what its called) going around and i dunno if they are ones that get faked a lot. (apparently brass knuckles is?)

Our governor loves the taste of cop rear end in a top hat so he keeps making these half-step laws where to get full medicinal approval you have to be near death and possession is still a misdemeanor, which means cops can still gently caress with you for having weed but now instead of killing your weekend they can kill your wallet.

Under a O is 50 bucks more than 2 O is like 200 bucks (so the amounts in between can get a ticket for any amount in between I suppose. Yay!

Better than how it used to be in NY and still way better than really hosed up states like Virginia.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

I absolutely believe this. Why wouldn't the very normal drugs practice of cutting your product with anything that works to make more money, make its way over to cannabis?

It was only a matter of time after carts became popular. I'm not acting like I saw this coming, but the trend is so obvious now. Buying flower is mostly safe because you can't really cut it with anything since it's just a bud. But selling carts of whole distillate requires a gently caress load more in equipment and product to produce a high yield. This is worsened by the fact that it's a plant that has a grow time of around 4 months, so you can't exactly turn crops over as fast as you'd like in order to utilize a smaller footprint. If you're trying to crank out hundreds of thousands of real carts... that's so much weed.

Am I wrong on this? I'm really loving high on this Citradelic Sunset. This strain owns

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

nickhimself posted:

I absolutely believe this. Why wouldn't the very normal drugs practice of cutting your product with anything that works to make more money, make its way over to cannabis?

It was only a matter of time after carts became popular. I'm not acting like I saw this coming, but the trend is so obvious now. Buying flower is mostly safe because you can't really cut it with anything since it's just a bud. But selling carts of whole distillate requires a gently caress load more in equipment and product to produce a high yield. This is worsened by the fact that it's a plant that has a grow time of around 4 months, so you can't exactly turn crops over as fast as you'd like in order to utilize a smaller footprint. If you're trying to crank out hundreds of thousands of real carts... that's so much weed.

Am I wrong on this? I'm really loving high on this Citradelic Sunset. This strain owns

I'm too high to elaborate but yeah

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The_Rob posted:

There is no theory that explains everyone who is sick. A few dozen people had no weed at all. But the strongest thread is bootleg carts in states with no legal weed market and from illegal pop ups in california.

There's a good article from the industry side on Leafly that goes into the bootleg cart industry and a theory about thickeners which are being used to dilute carts without making them appear diluted: https://www.leafly.com/news/health/vape-pen-lung-disease-thc-oil-additive-investigation

The biggest takeaway imo is that you can't even trust apparently retail packed carts because the counterfeit retail packaging business is booming and probably complicit in this mess

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 7, 2019

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've been winding down for a tolerance break anyway...

Before that though I'm having a nice day walking my dog then walking to taco bell for a very fat breakfast after 3 miles of getting around.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I guess I'm gonna die, I buy a lot of cartridges (in a rec legal state) but I also haven't smoked for more than a week and don't know when I'm going to pick it up again

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

On that FLOWER POWER NOW BUTCHES!!!

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

poverty goat posted:

There is no theory that explains everyone who is sick. A few dozen people had no weed at all.

:rolleyes:

You seriously believe the teenagers that deny using THC carts but got their lungs hosed up?

The simplest explanation is that everyone who died or got sick used black market THC carts. Patients are notorious liars, check out self-reported alcohol consumption vs real alcohol consumption numbers, for instance. Add in a parent in the ER with you and you get scared kids lying about what they used.

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 7, 2019

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pivotal Lever posted:

The simplest explanation is that everyone who died or got sick used black market THC carts.

one of the recent articles mentioned one case involving carts from a legal store in OR. but they also say the person may have added something to the cart or it could have been something else so who knows

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I bet it's going to be something lame like the tobacco or alcohol companies poisoning THC carts because they hate the competition. Plus it's not like the US government didn't intentionally poison a whole ton of alcohol that they knew was going to be sold by bootleggers during prohibition. :tinfoil:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Bad quality control is also something that happens. I don’t know what OR’s testing protocols are but everything else about the legalization rollout in OR seemed to be thoughtless, so they could have lovely QC and testing standards too.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Pivotal Lever posted:

Patients are notorious liars, check out self-reported alcohol consumption vs real alcohol consumption numbers, for instance.

For real, more than once I've heard people say something to the effect of "It's not the hospitals business if I drink or smoke once in a while".

And let's not forget these are black market cartridges, a good amount of these people probably aren't getting them 100% legally and are therefor more likely to lie about it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pivotal Lever posted:

The simplest explanation is that everyone who died or got sick used black market THC carts. Patients are notorious liars, check out self-reported alcohol consumption vs real alcohol consumption numbers, for instance. Add in a parent in the ER with you and you get scared kids lying about what they used.

lol if you think the CDC is just missing the simple explanation

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

*ACK* dying for Kush's oil profits!

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I don't know anything about whether the dab oil I've been using is good or not but ever since I started my throat has been feeling constricted, and ever since I stopped my throat has been feeling better. Guess it's back to good-ol'-green for me. That's okay though, I'm pretty sure hot-blasting THC wasn't very good for my mental state either.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Bad quality control is also something that happens. I don’t know what OR’s testing protocols are but everything else about the legalization rollout in OR seemed to be thoughtless, so they could have lovely QC and testing standards too.

i live in CA but travel to OR frequently and the way legalization was handled in either state is like almost polar opposites

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

smoke flower and all your problems will be solved.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

don't die, but still get high. smoking flower in 2019 baby

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse

Hell Yeah posted:

smoke flower and all your problems will be solved.

I smoke my blunts at 20 past the hour - it's 4:20 somewhere in the world! Oh look at the time!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

6:21 tokin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

blazing this pinner for all my dead cart vapin homies