Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

UnknownTarget posted:

I'd like to offer another reason why Chris isn't finishing the game: fear. There's that thing where people will work on something forever or always say "oh I could do X if I put my mind to it, if I wanted to" but never actually follow through because they're afraid of failing and of being judged.

Maybe Chris wants to keep the money train going because he's just not confident in his vision? Deep down he probably wonders if he's not good enough, and that fear paralyzes him from releasing the game. Especially now so that he's hyped up S42 as a mega-hit genre-defining blockbuster.

No, no no.

I assure you that Chris Roberts has never engaged in even the slightest self examination of his strengths and weaknesses.

There are direct quotes from him (I believe in the infamous 'absolution' video) that if only all his employees were at his level of skill they could have completed features in the originally estimated timeframe. He made videogames decades ago, he made a movie, and by god that makes him a genius in his mind. Any faults in the game are the employees, the goons, and goddamn Derek Smart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

RBA Starblade posted:

That Indian lander crashed btw :smith:

Well, it's got that in common with Star Citizen.

Anyway, the Indian PM Narendra Modi has just given a decent eulogy - "life's ups and downs, carry on, keep striving, etc"

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Othin posted:

One of the screenshots earlier in the thread had a ~*-Female-*~. Did they finally get around to figuring out how to animate ladies and get them in game?

Yes, they work about as well as you'd expect.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fidelitious posted:

No, no no.

I assure you that Chris Roberts has never engaged in even the slightest self examination of his strengths and weaknesses.

There are direct quotes from him (I believe in the infamous 'absolution' video) that if only all his employees were at his level of skill they could have completed features in the originally estimated timeframe. He made videogames decades ago, he made a movie, and by god that makes him a genius in his mind. Any faults in the game are the employees, the goons, and goddamn Derek Smart!

And what a list of accomplishments that is… I mean, just look at the credits he's accumulated over a decade of making Chris-games:
  • Wizadore (1985): Written by
  • Strykers Run (1986): Game design & original ideas, Coding, Graphics
  • Ultima V (1988): Design
  • Times of Lore (1988): Project lead, Lead design, Writing/dialogue/story, Playtesting
  • Wing Commander (1990): Design, Director, Graphics/3D Programming, Lead design, Programming, Producer, Software Engineer, Space System
    • Secret Missions I: Director, Producer, Programming
    • Secret Missions II: Producer, Programming
  • Wing Commander II (1991): Producer
    • Special Operations I: Creative Director
    • Special Operations II: Creative Director
  • Wing Commander: Privateer (1993): Executive Producer, Original Concept
    • Righteous Fire: None
  • Strike Commander (1993): Cameras, Cockpit, Director, Graphics, Library Code, Mission Design, Original Outline, Producer, RealSpace System Programming
    • Tactical Operations: Producer
  • Super Wing Commander (1994): None
  • Wing Commander III (1994): Cast, Director, Executive Producer & Director for movies, Producer, Story
  • Wing Commander: Armada (1994): Producer
  • Wing Commander IV (1996): Executive Producer, Director
  • Privateer 2 (1996): None
  • Wing Commander: Prophecy (1997): Special thanks
  • Starlancer (2000): Executive Producer
  • Freelancer (2003): Original concept, Special thanks
Last time he managed to claim credit for any kind of actual code production was in 1993. :cawg:

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
In before SC is released!

That was a close one...

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
One of the best examples of how much a lie this game is - is the sandworm. How long ago was that shown?

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Saladin Rising posted:

Ah, apparently we have some new people in this thread, so I'd like to introduce you to Clifford aka miku aka SpearmintVR, a citizen who has spent a lot of money on Star Citizen, and is one of the few to show off the actual number. How much has he spent?

https://twitter.com/spearmintvr/status/1082723123823370240
Almost 58,000 dollars.

You know what else he could have done with all that money?
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=514

He could have gone on a months-long cruise across the world and seen stuff that I would love to be able to experience and be jealous as gently caress about. There was another cruise that I can't find now that included dinner on a private game reserve in Africa that was also for less than he's spent on Star Citizen. Sometimes you need a sanity check to realize just how much loving money people have pissed away on a lovely pre-alpha Cryengine hack that pretends it's a space game.

The question is how can someone that insane have that much money to throw around on a toy?!?!?! I would love to know... drat If I had 50k to spare I would have dropped out of work and taken months to travel the world and stay in the most luxurious intercontinental hotels and enjoy the high life and amazing scenery and 5 star food etc.... !!!! I would have spoilt myself like a king with that money!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tippis posted:

And what a list of accomplishments that is… I mean, just look at the credits he's accumulated over a decade of making Chris-games:
  • Wizadore (1985): Written by
  • Strykers Run (1986): Game design & original ideas, Coding, Graphics
  • Ultima V (1988): Design
  • Times of Lore (1988): Project lead, Lead design, Writing/dialogue/story, Playtesting
  • Wing Commander (1990): Design, Director, Graphics/3D Programming, Lead design, Programming, Producer, Software Engineer, Space System
    • Secret Missions I: Director, Producer, Programming
    • Secret Missions II: Producer, Programming
  • Wing Commander II (1991): Producer
    • Special Operations I: Creative Director
    • Special Operations II: Creative Director
  • Wing Commander: Privateer (1993): Executive Producer, Original Concept
    • Righteous Fire: None
  • Strike Commander (1993): Cameras, Cockpit, Director, Graphics, Library Code, Mission Design, Original Outline, Producer, RealSpace System Programming
    • Tactical Operations: Producer
  • Super Wing Commander (1994): None
  • Wing Commander III (1994): Cast, Director, Executive Producer & Director for movies, Producer, Story
  • Wing Commander: Armada (1994): Producer
  • Wing Commander IV (1996): Executive Producer, Director
  • Privateer 2 (1996): None
  • Wing Commander: Prophecy (1997): Special thanks
  • Starlancer (2000): Executive Producer
  • Freelancer (2003): Original concept, Special thanks
Last time he managed to claim credit for any kind of actual code production was in 1993. :cawg:

Ah, Strike Commander.

What does CIG have to say about this game?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/spectrum-dispatch/12689-Blast-From-The-Past-Strike-Commander

> At the time, Strike Commander was far over budget and a year overdue.

Well, that is rather unusual for Chris Roberts... but one presume he would have learnt his lesson after that right? Oh, yeah, silly me... Freelancer. Well, surely after Free... oh... Star Citizen.

Ok, let's put that to one side for the moment. What else do they say about it?

> One of Strike Commander’s innovations was the inclusion of a ‘virtual cockpit’ where the player’s head and the environment could be controlled separately.

Now, maybe it was. Except i don't recall ever doing that in Strike Commander. There were many games before it though that definitely had virtual cockpits and enables you to change your view. But hey, its just marketing speak anyway.

> The only problem was that while Strike Commander featured an unprecedented amount of detail in its graphics it was also a faithful F-16 simulator… which meant that most battles were fought with long range missiles and so the lush graphics representing the enemy planes often went overlooked!

The fidelity was so great rarely got to see how good the graphics were!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Savy Saracen salad posted:

The question is how can someone that insane have that much money to throw around on a toy?!?!?! I would love to know... drat If I had 50k to spare I would have dropped out of work and taken months to travel the world and stay in the most luxurious intercontinental hotels and enjoy the high life and amazing scenery and 5 star food etc.... !!!! I would have spoilt myself like a king with that money!

My guess is trust fund kid.

deej
May 29, 2003

hibjibbity
Reminder that Chris Roberts, CEO of space game, believes you can swim about in space irl

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

One of the best examples of how much a lie this game is - is the sandworm. How long ago was that shown?

October 2016

3 years ago.

WORM WAS NOT A JOKE!

EDIT: Who has a link to the meeting notes transcription from jump point magazine with the question about how many missiles and worm was not a joke?

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 6, 2019

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

deej posted:

Reminder that Chris Roberts, CEO of space game, believes you can swim about in space irl

That's right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g

Or maybe with a gravity gun. It gets hazy after a while.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

My guess is trust fund kid.

Na not Clifford.

He used to live in a trailer ( has a house now though) he just lives in an area where he has a lot of disposable income.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

poo poo, posts are trippling every second.

fake e: Was than an Oxford comma or a poo poo comma?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

You missed the most important backer.

What is the backstory to this image?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Ah, good. We were lacking in new money. Fresh citizens are required for mopping duty.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
derek smart
Derek Smart
DEREK SMART

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

LuiCypher posted:

On top of that, releasing it would offer concrete proof that all the negative things people said about him are absolutely 100% true.

People have said he's a bad manager: He can't fight scope creep, he can't decide on a solid vision and stick to it, he can't stop throwing the baby out with the bathwater because x isn't as perfect as he wants it to be.

People have said he's a terrible director: He can't write a script worth a poo poo, he can't keep things consistent within a given universe that he created, he can't develop meaningful characters, and there's nothing about his directorial style that is remarkable/interesting/good.

Star Citizen is incontrovertible proof that not only is all of the above true, but the reality is so, so, so much worse than anyone could have imagined.

This. Although i think the past seven years income and new house in a family trust will see him through. This is more about effect than it is about any of the stated goals.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

I said come in! posted:

Just your average citizen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

With all due respect, that could just as easily be a goon.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

There was a cosplay competition in the early days, iirc, and bunnyman was an entrant. Also the kid in the full face black tracksuit.

Edit: i prefer the image in gold.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 6, 2019

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

MedicineHut posted:

poo poo, posts are trippling every second.

fake e: Was than an Oxford comma or a poo poo comma?

The Oxford comma is used to separate out elements that might otherwise be run together and confused.

quote:

I love the posters in this thread, Gillian Welch and The Cramps.

Or do I love

quote:

the posters in this thread called "Gillian Welch" and "The Cramps"?

With this one crazy piece of punctuation, you can improve your written English 1000%!!!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi new thread & posters! One of my favorite little bits of Star Citizen development bell is the use of backer money to pay streamers to pay this piece of poo poo and give them free ships to gently caress around in:

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1165374172828246016?s=20

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1155164298374787075?s=20

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1078535205764378625?s=20

“Full fledged” PVP... of 20 people gathering around one spot and shooting each other. Yeah. This is where your backer dollars are going now. Also, now you can pay real money for a physical card to show how elite you are as a part of his crew:

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1147260841525428225?s=20

Y’know, if you weren’t one of the lucky ones to get a physical steel card to show off just how much money you dumped into Star Citizen.

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1146149686111342592?s=20

Not! A! Scam!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

Hi new thread & posters! One of my favorite little bits of Star Citizen development bell is the use of backer money to pay streamers to pay this piece of poo poo and give them free ships to gently caress around in:

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1165374172828246016?s=20

Not! A! Scam!

You get this pretty space yacht, and you have sit around in the pool in combat armor and a space helmet. Game needs some civilian clothing to wear for proper role playing.* This is something that GTA Online did extremely well.

*Buy now for a dozen pieces of clothing for $400. Clothing not available until retail version 3.0.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

The lack of baseboards puts this whole picture together.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

holy poo poo :lol:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I said come in! posted:

You get this pretty space yacht, and you have sit around in the pool in combat armor and a space helmet. Game needs some civilian clothing to wear for proper role playing.* This is something that GTA Online did extremely well.

*Buy now for a dozen pieces of clothing for $400. Clothing not available until retail version 3.0.

Oh it has civilian clothing

But if you take off your helmet you lose access to your HUD, and also they don't bother to QA test running around in ships without a helmet on, so there will be random places that have no oxygen and if you run through them you'll just keel over instantly. Everyone keeps their helmets on at all times now because death is a huge loving pain in the rear end.

This is not a joke post

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Wait what, the thread ended at page 6530?
I was only some 40 pages behind but it started going fast again. I was hoping to catch up before page 6665.
Ah well, at least I'm relieved of the urge to make a little something to celebrate the birth of the new thread.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Agony Aunt posted:

I'd like a second opinion.

OK, you're ugly too! :dadjoke:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Agony Aunt posted:

You missed the most important backer.

If you thought the live action Sonic looked bad, look what they did to Bucky o'Hare!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Taintrunner posted:

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1147260841525428225?s=20

Y’know, if you weren’t one of the lucky ones to get a physical steel card to show off just how much money you dumped into Star Citizen.

The funniest part to me is either the picture is too lovely to let my phone scan them or those QR codes don't go to anything.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

I don't wanna get banned or anything, but seriously guys hear me out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I thought there was civilian clothing...? I remember Robbaz doing a video where he was loving around with the facecam tracking and he went into a store where he could try on clothes. And weren't there a bunch of in-game graphic Ts as subscriber rewards?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

OK, you're ugly too! :dadjoke:

I loved that joke in ‘Carry on Doctor’, and I love it now.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kyrosiris posted:

The funniest part to me is either the picture is too lovely to let my phone scan them or those QR codes don't go to anything.

I think they’re all the same code? Because, y’know, in the future, QR codes will finally take off.

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

very Star Citizen

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Hav posted:

I loved that joke in ‘Carry on Doctor’, and I love it now.

Khyber, Camping, and Screaming, in that order.

(Note Oxford comma).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I thought there was civilian clothing...? I remember Robbaz doing a video where he was loving around with the facecam tracking and he went into a store where he could try on clothes. And weren't there a bunch of in-game graphic Ts as subscriber rewards?

Turns out there is! I am always surprised when it turns out this game has an actual feature in it.