Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Plex DVR felt like a move in the direction of explaining how one could have a Plex library that isn't wall to wall pirated files

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

RichterIX posted:

How long do you think Big Movie Companies are going to partner with Plex while it is basically the easiest and best way to pirate poo poo that has ever existed

0 revenue vs ad revenue, tough choice. I am pretty sure these companies signing deals with plex understand the landscape.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

RichterIX posted:

How long do you think Big Movie Companies are going to partner with Plex while it is basically the easiest and best way to pirate poo poo that has ever existed

TheScott2K posted:

Plex DVR felt like a move in the direction of explaining how one could have a Plex library that isn't wall to wall pirated files

Plex is not a "way to pirate poo poo." It can of course play pirated content, and some people abuse it by selling access to licensed content (whether it was pirated or acquired legally,) but that's hardly what every user does. I have boxes full of my legally purchased DVDs in storage because now I have all of that content on my PMS. The fact that Plex has removed the need to flip discs is worth the price of admission alone. There are plenty of movie enthusiasts with large collections who are the perfect candidates for a transition to Plex; otherwise they've either had to resort to flipping between hundreds of DVDs manually or using something like a DVD changer (remember those Sony HTPCs with separate 200-disc changers?)* Stop acting like Plex is loving Napster 4.0. :rolleyes:

*I just looked this up again, they apparently made 400-disc changers from about a decade ago. :stare:

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

Plex is not a "way to pirate poo poo." It can of course play pirated content, and some people abuse it by selling access to licensed content (whether it was pirated or acquired legally,) but that's hardly what every user does. I have boxes full of my legally purchased DVDs in storage because now I have all of that content on my PMS. The fact that Plex has removed the need to flip discs is worth the price of admission alone. There are plenty of movie enthusiasts with large collections who are the perfect candidates for a transition to Plex; otherwise they've either had to resort to flipping between hundreds of DVDs manually or using something like a DVD changer (remember those Sony HTPCs with separate 200-disc changers?)* Stop acting like Plex is loving Napster 4.0. :rolleyes:

*I just looked this up again, they apparently made 400-disc changers from about a decade ago. :stare:

I wonder if part of the deal is that Plex sells all your user data to these companies to help them develop profiles of what you like.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Smashing Link posted:

I wonder if part of the deal is that Plex sells all your user data to these companies to help them develop profiles of what you like.

If that's the case then why are there so few good movies coming out these days.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Smashing Link posted:

If that's the deal, and they don't disclose that to users, then yes, that would be a problem. So far as we know, this whole agreement with WB doesn't really mean anything aside from free, ad-supported movies through the Plex app that are completely optional to view.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Atomizer posted:

Let's be real for a moment - people using Plex exclusively to organized backups of physical media they own are a tiny minority. The bulk of its userbase is absolutely people making their torrented files easy to browse and share with their friends.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

The CTO of Plex posted over on Reddit about the WB thing. I’d copy and paste it here but I’m on mobile and it’s not working quite right for me. Here’s a link

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/cx0otv/plex_partners_with_movie_studio_to_offer_package/eyip36h/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Delzuma posted:

The CTO of Plex posted over on Reddit about the WB thing. I’d copy and paste it here but I’m on mobile and it’s not working quite right for me. Here’s a link

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/cx0otv/plex_partners_with_movie_studio_to_offer_package/eyip36h/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

quote:

I really hope this isn't "the beginning end of Plex" because I kind of like working here, but since some folks make this prediction with every single feature we release, and we still haven't ended (that I know of), I'd say the smart money's on "things will be fine". That said, I thought I'd jump on this grenade with the hope of flushing what little karma I have down the drain. Here goes.

I can assure you that we're not sharing the contents of your library with anyone. Quite the opposite. We take pains to ensure that we don't even know what's in it. There are a few isolated cases where we may need to pass info about library contents through our services strictly to make a feature work, e.g. when using Alexa, the Plex skill may need to search your library in order to find and play stuff, but for normal personal media browsing and playback, we never even see it.

Separately, we do keep some stats about playback logistics. Things like media formats, time spent playing, and error rates. This helps us understand what kinds of files and formats people are playing on which platforms so we can improve support for them from a technical standpoint, but it doesn't tell us anything about the content. In fact, we intentionally round bitrates and durations before reporting them to avoid being able to derive this even if we wanted to (credit for that goes out to you folks who gave us lots of thoughtful feedback around this when we last revised our policy). We do not share this info with third parties. More details on this are here: https://www.plex.tv/about/privacy-legal/privacy-preferences/#pd

The additional permissable uses of "Third-Party Content" in the privacy policy seem to be causing some confusion. This just means that if you watch something in, e.g., News or Web Shows (so third-party, not library content), we do track that, and in those cases may share some info with partners in order to do things like ad targeting. The tracking and use of this data is strictly limited to the consumption of that third-party content, meaning that if you watch a Web Show, we don't suddenly have the right (nor do we have the desire) to share what little we do know about your personal media playback with third parties.

Finally, I'd just remind everyone that we're (still) not evil, and we really do care deeply about preserving the Plex experience for folks who don't care for any of this new content. It's safe to assume you'll be able to turn it off or just ignore it.

Anyway, hope that helps more than hurts.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’d love to be able to turn it off, but will it still show up in my mobile search results?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Let's be real for a moment - people using Plex exclusively to organized backups of physical media they own are a tiny minority. The bulk of its userbase is absolutely people making their torrented files easy to browse and share with their friends.

Sure, the actual use case for Plex is playing some combination of stuff people already own legally and stuff that's pirated, and that's without even going into things like fair use (you can legally record and use content you haven't purchased) and the DMCA & CSS. The people selling access to their servers are the worst, but that's hardly the only way Plex is used.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So my home networking is a bit poo poo, i've got a fairly crap internet connection which has been supplied with a fairly crap router/hub (in only has the 2GHz whatever bandwidth rate).

As such file/network transfers (and plex streaming) are outright lovely.

My main media server setup is a compute stick in the back of the TV with all of my media hooked up to it on a portable HDD. That's presumably not helping with the content streaming either.

We mainly watch content on the TV so it's not that big a deal but occassionally i'm looking to watch something on my laptop and my go to solution has just been to copy it across directly from the portable HDD and play it on Kodi.

Recently i got a new laptop and decided to try setting it up as a second plex server (so I can point to media folders on the hard drive), but for the life of me i can't get it to work. When i log into the plex web app there just isn't the option to add a second server like all the guides online say.

Is there a way to do this?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
For that to work, all the servers have to be logged into the same Plex account I believe.

On the second plex server, open its web UI up. (you can just double click on the Plex icon in the system tray). And there should be a open to login under Settings/Account IIRC.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Hmm well this is weird.

It might be the second server installation that's a problem then.

I've just uninstalled and reinstalled it but after running the server it doesn't show up on the system tray.

It's there running under processes in the task manager though.

Every time I open the Web app and login, it just loads up the compute stick server and theres no option to add another under settings as it just shows me the settings for that server.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Kin posted:

So my home networking is a bit poo poo, i've got a fairly crap internet connection which has been supplied with a fairly crap router/hub (in only has the 2GHz whatever bandwidth rate).

As such file/network transfers (and plex streaming) are outright lovely.

My main media server setup is a compute stick in the back of the TV with all of my media hooked up to it on a portable HDD. That's presumably not helping with the content streaming either.

We mainly watch content on the TV so it's not that big a deal but occassionally i'm looking to watch something on my laptop and my go to solution has just been to copy it across directly from the portable HDD and play it on Kodi.

Recently i got a new laptop and decided to try setting it up as a second plex server (so I can point to media folders on the hard drive), but for the life of me i can't get it to work. When i log into the plex web app there just isn't the option to add a second server like all the guides online say.

Is there a way to do this?

First, you can always disable the ISP's gateway's AP and add your own wireless access point, including a dual-band one with 2.4 & 5 GHz, which will likely be better than what you're dealing with now. This is what I've done with my home network for years; it just plugs into the network switch built into your gateway.

The Compute Stick is low-end, likely not capable of transcoding and possibly barely capable of functioning as a direct-streaming server, depending on the specific specs and whatever else it's doing simultaneously. This is likely why you're having better luck manually transferring the file and playing it locally instead of trying to get your PMS to stream it.

It will help to troubleshoot this if you shut down PMS on the Compute Stick. If you have two servers running, ideally you have unique names assigned to them so you can tell them apart, but with the UI update it's harder to differentiate between them, because it seems like they simplified the interface so that normally you don't switch between your servers and just search for content across all of them. Below is where you'd switch servers, though, if more than one are running for the signed-in account:

Again, shutting down your original PMS will help here. Note that you're not "adding" a second server with a discrete step, you just install PMS on a new system and connect it to your account and it will be available for access when it's online. Note that there may be an issue with two Plex servers on the same network; when I was playing around with the WD PR4100 I could get it to work but it seemed like either it or my main PMS were available at one time while on the same network, not both simultaneously.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw people on r/plex sub talking about using CrashPlan for a backup service. Thought I'd give it a whirl, I used to use them years back before they changed their system and it wasn't too bad beyond the software sucking.

I honestly don't know how anyone uses them for a Plex backup at all. I decided to do my little 2TB RAID box first as that has things like my photography etc on it, and my fiber connection is going to take 2 months it reckons. It's been going for days and it's still at less than 100GB. Given the amount of times that my 26TB Plex library changes, yeah this is a complete waste of loving time and I can just put the same money into switching out a HDD for a new one each year. This isn't even fast enough to do personal files.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I saw people on r/plex sub talking about using CrashPlan for a backup service. Thought I'd give it a whirl, I used to use them years back before they changed their system and it wasn't too bad beyond the software sucking.

I honestly don't know how anyone uses them for a Plex backup at all. I decided to do my little 2TB RAID box first as that has things like my photography etc on it, and my fiber connection is going to take 2 months it reckons. It's been going for days and it's still at less than 100GB. Given the amount of times that my 26TB Plex library changes, yeah this is a complete waste of loving time and I can just put the same money into switching out a HDD for a new one each year. This isn't even fast enough to do personal files.

Yes, this is how they offer an "unlimited" service.

I was able to churn through my personal files and it keeps up, but lol at thinking you'll ever keep up with a plex library.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I was genuinely surprised to see people talking about using it or Backblaze for this kind of thing, but no idea how they keep on top of it unless they're running small libraries that they think is worth paying $10/mo or whatever to keep backed up. Makes zero sense to me. All the software seems to be good at is churning through CPU cycles, so I think I'm done before my free trial even ends.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I was genuinely surprised to see people talking about using it or Backblaze for this kind of thing, but no idea how they keep on top of it unless they're running small libraries that they think is worth paying $10/mo or whatever to keep backed up. Makes zero sense to me. All the software seems to be good at is churning through CPU cycles, so I think I'm done before my free trial even ends.

It's worth it to me for my personal files - it's set up and does it's thing so, eh?

I mean, they are offering an unlimited service based on Amazon S3/Glacier, a clearly pay per service. So they have to make it painful to use a lot of, artificially. The CPU cycles thing is the encryption, but I assure you it doesn't matter how much CPU you give it or how big your pipe - I've tried both and had extra CPU available and was nowhere near my connection speed and it was still just lumbering along.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Another perspective is that the lion share of your library is fixed and unchanging, so only your incremental additions are going to be missing if you have an event. So once you get over the big hump you can rest assured that the bulk of it is available in the event of a failure.

By your numbers, you'd be out a few movies and shows (a few days worth) if something happened today. Not the end of the world.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, even on a truly unthrottled connection, Crashplan was glacial. I think my first full upload to them took literal months to complete.

I actually just cancelled them the other day. The new pricing isn't nearly as good as it used to be, the client is perpetually going to be a bloated pile of Java poo poo, and these days the amount of data that I can't recreate fits on a single 10TB disk with room to spare. I'm weird in that my 'primary' array is offsite so I just have an extra Easystore plugged in at home acting as my backup, but I've got to imagine even the gooniest goon has some family willing to let them stash a Raspberry Pi and an Easystore next to their router.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Motronic posted:

It's worth it to me for my personal files - it's set up and does it's thing so, eh?

Yeah personal files it makes some sense, although it's not even intended as a Personal service anymore, it's a "Small Business" after they changed course a few years back. Between iCloud, Time Machine, and Amazon Photos most of my personal stuff is taken care of already luckily. I also have a 2TB external drive I make periodic backups of the RAID to, they just wont be offsite, so it's not really worthwhile for my situation.

TraderStav posted:

Another perspective is that the lion share of your library is fixed and unchanging, so only your incremental additions are going to be missing if you have an event. So once you get over the big hump you can rest assured that the bulk of it is available in the event of a failure.

By your numbers, you'd be out a few movies and shows (a few days worth) if something happened today. Not the end of the world.

My numbers are that my library won't even get started backing up for 2 months yet! The 2TB personal RAID thing is set to go before the Plex library. The library itself will take over TWO YEARS to back up!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah personal files it makes some sense, although it's not even intended as a Personal service anymore, it's a "Small Business" after they changed course a few years back.

The only reason it was changed to small business is so they could do the pricing model change to charge per client you have running.

So I have exactly one client running, on a VM that does nothing other than that. And it's allowed to read-only NFS mount whatever needs backing up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I read that people were pissed, because they could have one account doing their whole house on the cheap. I can see why they changed it over, and I think BackBlaze doesn't let you do USB mounted drives by default? I'm sure there are similar workarounds. BB deep freezing that screwed me over when I used to have a capped line back a few years ago put me off them forever anyway.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah personal files it makes some sense, although it's not even intended as a Personal service anymore, it's a "Small Business" after they changed course a few years back. Between iCloud, Time Machine, and Amazon Photos most of my personal stuff is taken care of already luckily. I also have a 2TB external drive I make periodic backups of the RAID to, they just wont be offsite, so it's not really worthwhile for my situation.

My numbers are that my library won't even get started backing up for 2 months yet! The 2TB personal RAID thing is set to go before the Plex library. The library itself will take over TWO YEARS to back up!

Oh, nevermind that then!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Atomizer posted:

First, you can always disable the ISP's gateway's AP and add your own wireless access point, including a dual-band one with 2.4 & 5 GHz, which will likely be better than what you're dealing with now. This is what I've done with my home network for years; it just plugs into the network switch built into your gateway.

The Compute Stick is low-end, likely not capable of transcoding and possibly barely capable of functioning as a direct-streaming server, depending on the specific specs and whatever else it's doing simultaneously. This is likely why you're having better luck manually transferring the file and playing it locally instead of trying to get your PMS to stream it.

It will help to troubleshoot this if you shut down PMS on the Compute Stick. If you have two servers running, ideally you have unique names assigned to them so you can tell them apart, but with the UI update it's harder to differentiate between them, because it seems like they simplified the interface so that normally you don't switch between your servers and just search for content across all of them. Below is where you'd switch servers, though, if more than one are running for the signed-in account:

Again, shutting down your original PMS will help here. Note that you're not "adding" a second server with a discrete step, you just install PMS on a new system and connect it to your account and it will be available for access when it's online. Note that there may be an issue with two Plex servers on the same network; when I was playing around with the WD PR4100 I could get it to work but it seemed like either it or my main PMS were available at one time while on the same network, not both simultaneously.

Yeah, somethign must be up with the server app on my laptop. I shut down my compute stick server and all the laptop is saying is that server isn't available. There arent options to select another one from the drop down you highlighted.

I looked at the stuff on this page:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/204604227-why-can-t-the-plex-app-find-or-connect-to-my-plex-media-server/

But even things like http://localhost:32400/web dont load anything even when the server app is running so i don't really know what to do next.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kin posted:

But even things like http://localhost:32400/web dont load anything even when the server app is running so i don't really know what to do next.

If, when using the box that you're trying to run the Plex server from, that doesn't work - your Plex server isn't even running.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

If, when using the box that you're trying to run the Plex server from, that doesn't work - your Plex server isn't even running.

Yeah, that's what i mean. I downloaded the Plex Server application, installed and ran it and i can see it active in the task manager, but it's just not activating.

edit: even after uninstalling/reinstalling it did the same thing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is Windows firewall blocking it?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What are my options to get subtitles in Plex that doesn't involve SubZero or opensubtitles.org?

I had SubZero for half a year, but it seems to have been the culprit of a huge database corruption issue i had constantly until i removed it and reinstalled everything a few months ago. Something about it deleting and moving files + my NAS confused everyone involved.

opensubtitles is blocked in my country because ???? subtitles bad and blocking them will surely stop piracy?? All torrent sites are unblocked btw.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Dongattack posted:

What are my options to get subtitles in Plex that doesn't involve SubZero or opensubtitles.org?

I had SubZero for half a year, but it seems to have been the culprit of a huge database corruption issue i had constantly until i removed it and reinstalled everything a few months ago. Something about it deleting and moving files + my NAS confused everyone involved.

opensubtitles is blocked in my country because ???? subtitles bad and blocking them will surely stop piracy?? All torrent sites are unblocked btw.

Bazarr

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Subscene and adding the srt files by hand? That’s my usual go to for the times I need em.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

This seems like it would be perfect, but i can't remember/understand how to set it up in Docker, i touch it so rarely that i keep forgetting how it works. Do you/anyone know of a guide or something? I tried googling, but couldn't find anything for Docker.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Woah yet another re purposed Sonarr fork.

I've been noticing subtitle downloads sucking lately (I forget what I had set up in plex that was doing fine for a while) so thanks. I'm gonna add this to my Sonarr/Radarr/Deluge/Sab VM.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Motronic posted:

Woah yet another re purposed Sonarr fork.

I've been noticing subtitle downloads sucking lately (I forget what I had set up in plex that was doing fine for a while) so thanks. I'm gonna add this to my Sonarr/Radarr/Deluge/Sab VM.

If you like downloading some pornaroonie there's another one called Bonarr :lol:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kinda feels like bazarr’s functionality should be something added into sonarr/radarr rather than being a standalone piece of software.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I even tried to get SubZero and Subtitles providers to work (paid) but I could never get the “go back and grab for this series” to work correctly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

[edit] whoops wrong thread

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Dongattack posted:

This seems like it would be perfect, but i can't remember/understand how to set it up in Docker, i touch it so rarely that i keep forgetting how it works. Do you/anyone know of a guide or something? I tried googling, but couldn't find anything for Docker.

There's a linuxserver.io distribution of it so if you're used to those for Sonarr/Radarr it's the same configuration steps. Point it to the video directory, set PUID/PGID, and you're off. https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/bazarr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Decairn posted:

There's a linuxserver.io distribution of it so if you're used to those for Sonarr/Radarr it's the same configuration steps. Point it to the video directory, set PUID/PGID, and you're off. https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/bazarr

Ah ok, yeah i did that, but nothing. It's probably my firewall/security settings, i'll figure it out.

edit: got it working

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 9, 2019