Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

zoux posted:

Wikipedia is being DDoSed, can someone tell me about the Amritsar Massacre

As has often been the case in history, using Army troops to do riot/crowd control is a seriously bad idea. See also: Peterloo massacre, Boston massacre, Bloody Sunday etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Now we're going to add robots to the mix soon, lets see what happens!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I am protected

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

I strongly suspect it is more of a case of them trying to squirm away from bad PR and paying the survivors descendants/Indian government money.

This is usually the case with previous Japanese governments too, although both the PRC, ROC, and ROK absolved Japan of all responsibility at different points through treaties and agreements.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's double stupid cuz it seems like admitting responsibility is the best thing you can do in this situation. Like imagine a world with a nazi yasukuni shrine. I can't imagine Poland, Israel, Russia, etc having quite so decent a relationship with that Germany.

(then again those all did have good relations with the DDR, eehhhhhhhhhhhh)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There have been apologies, statements, made but nothing like the reparations campaign West Germany did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_war_apology_statements_issued_by_Japan

Allegedly Hirohito tried to apologize formally to MacArthur but he wouldn't admit Hirohito, so it couldn't be accepted.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You kinda hit up against the fact that for a long time, big wars involving killing a lot of people or your country brutally enforcing its will on somebody else used to be considered a glorious thing to have a lot of pride in and still is at the core of most nationalism.

The main risk is offending the perpetrators and those who take pride in their actions. Or take pride in the actions that were just adjacent to the atrocity and maybe tangentially related. There's also people who have personal philosophies built up around the idea of never having to say sorry. It can be a little bit of political risk for the nebulous benefit of doing something right.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's double stupid cuz it seems like admitting responsibility is the best thing you can do in this situation. Like imagine a world with a nazi yasukuni shrine. I can't imagine Poland, Israel, Russia, etc having quite so decent a relationship with that Germany.

(then again those all did have good relations with the DDR, eehhhhhhhhhhhh)

The German equivalent would be some kind of privately owned military cemetery that also happened to be older than actual Nazi administration and also hosted a museum curated by Herman Goering's grand-nephew in a building formerly occupied by an insurance agency.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If a Hard Brexit occur the government will have to come to terms and say sorry for past Imperial crimes because all we'll get is maybe pity trade from former Commonwealth and Dominion nations. So it best put on their best groveling pants!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The German equivalent would be some kind of privately owned military cemetery that also happened to be older than actual Nazi administration and also hosted a museum curated by Herman Goering's grand-nephew in a building formerly occupied by an insurance agency.

RUNNING MAN 2 OLD FOR THIS poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know that there have been war crimes as long as there have been wars but when did the ideas of "war crime" and "atrocity" develop, and what were the first instances widely recognized as such? Was it prior to WW II

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SeanBeansShako posted:

If a Hard Brexit occur the government will have to come to terms and say sorry for past Imperial crimes because all we'll get is maybe pity trade from former Commonwealth and Dominion nations.

I dunno, North Ireland and Scotland will probably do fine after they do their own Brexits. :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

feedmegin posted:

As has often been the case in history, using Army troops to do riot/crowd control is a seriously bad idea. See also: Peterloo massacre, Boston massacre, Bloody Sunday etc.
Which one?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

I know that there have been war crimes as long as there have been wars but when did the ideas of "war crime" and "atrocity" develop, and what were the first instances widely recognized as such? Was it prior to WW II

Well, the idea of just vs unjust war goes way back. Like St Augustine in the 4th century at least in a European judo-Christian framework and probably earlier, plus whatever other people were doing in other times and places.

That said, our modern system based on a nebulous idea if international law is very much a product of the mid-late 19th C.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

most of goering's relatives were anti-nazi, this is more like himmler's daughter, who was totally into it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

early modern legal theorists were entirely into the idea that there could be legal or illegal wars. GARS was into media and what new media could do for him and he had a legal justification for his acts published shortly after he made landfall at Stralsund
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Grotius

Cyrano4747 posted:

That said, our modern system based on a nebulous idea if international law is very much a product of the mid-late 19th C.
16th and 17th, sorry man

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 11, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cyrano4747 posted:

My Civil Procedure professor said that the essence of personal jurisdiction (what state can haul your rear end into court; this underlies most of international law and comity) dated to the 1648 Treaty of Westphalia.

1. States have all power within their borders.
2. States have no power without their borders.

...things got increasingly complicated from that point, but I appreciated the starting ideas.

HEY GUNS posted:

16th and 17th, sorry man

:hfive:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmm what metaphor can we use to help people understand the insane amounts of energy released by the Chicxulub impact event

Ah, of course. 10 billion 21 kt atomic bombs, that commonly understood scale.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HEY GUNS posted:

most of goering's relatives were anti-nazi, this is more like himmler's daughter, who was totally into it

Göring‘s daughter was totally into it, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOxR2rLFUMo&t=199s

Start at 3:20

zoux posted:

Hmm what metaphor can we use to help people understand the insane amounts of energy released by the Chicxulub impact event

I think that despite this being a very large number, it is an O.K. choice because it’s like every person on the planet turned into Little Boy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/kayaburgess/status/1171385248464146433

Wikipedia is being DDoSed, can someone tell me about the Amritsar Massacre

There was an anti-British protest in a contained area, so they opened fire on the crowd. Then they brought in Maxim guns. It wasn't crowd control it was flat out murder.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I think that despite this being a very large number, it is an O.K. choice because it’s like every person on the planet turned into Little Boy.

No see that's a good metaphor

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zoux posted:

No see that's a good metaphor

Actually, it’s a simile.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Platystemon posted:

Actually, it’s a simile.
It's like a simile.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

HEY GUNS posted:

early modern legal theorists were entirely into the idea that there could be legal or illegal wars. GARS was into media and what new media could do for him and he had a legal justification for his acts published shortly after he made landfall at Stralsund
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Grotius

16th and 17th, sorry man

Yeah, even before he set sail he held speeches to his councillors about wether this war was a just one and should he inflict more misery on his subjects. It was theatre, of course, but very important theatre.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ataxerxes posted:

Yeah, even before he set sail he held speeches to his councillors about wether this war was a just one and should he inflict more misery on his subjects. It was theatre, of course, but very important theatre.
say what you will about protestantism, gars "got" new media.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

HEY GUNS posted:

say what you will about protestantism, gars "got" new media.

well the new media enabled protestantism in the first place

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

sullat posted:

There was an anti-British protest in a contained area, so they opened fire on the crowd. Then they brought in Maxim guns. It wasn't crowd control it was flat out murder.

They just did it with 1650, .303s from lee Enfields.

Col. Dyer posted:

Supposing the passage was sufficient to allow the armoured cars to go in, would you have opened fire with the machine guns?
Dyer: I think probably, yes.

Col. Dyer posted:

He stated later that this act "was not to disperse the meeting but to punish the Indians for disobedience."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They did get the armoured cars into Croke Park a year later.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

zoux posted:

More like "1 KT", ammirite?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

zoux posted:

To be fair here, cold war nukes are kinda incomprehensible in terms of destructive power. The Hiroshima bomb is kinda the most relatable unit for most people.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 11, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Schadenboner posted:

More like "1 KT", ammirite?
:hmmyes:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Göring‘s daughter was totally into it, too.

I was looking into that last night out of curiosity and that was not there. Are there any deep cuts for Albert Speer Jr.? He seems like he has a pretty moderate, though anti-Nazi, view of it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I'm surprised the man who sought everlasting vengeance for the Amritsar massacre decided to assassinate the former Lieutenant Governor of Punjab who implicitly approved of the massacre instead of the Colonel/acting Brigadier General who directly carried out the massacre.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Fangz posted:

To be fair here, cold war nukes are kinda incomprehensible in terms of destructive power. The Hiroshima bomb is kinda the most relatable unit for most people.

Yeah. There's a difference between 'the big scary thing' and 'the thing that did the historical event that you can look up pictures of'.

It's like saying a space elevator is x times the height of the tallest possible skyscraper with current technology or y times the height of the empire state building.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wait how many football fields is that?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

golden bubble posted:

I'm surprised the man who sought everlasting vengeance for the Amritsar massacre decided to assassinate the former Lieutenant Governor of Punjab who implicitly approved of the massacre instead of the Colonel/acting Brigadier General who directly carried out the massacre.

Michael O'Dwyer was a slightly easier target than Colonel Dyer in 1940, as Dyer had had the unusual foresight to die thirteen years previously and have his ashes scattered in private

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

xthetenth posted:

Yeah. There's a difference between 'the big scary thing' and 'the thing that did the historical event that you can look up pictures of'.

It's like saying a space elevator is x times the height of the tallest possible skyscraper with current technology or y times the height of the empire state building.

"10 billion" is a meaningless number as far as human conception, it might as well be a gazillion bajillion, so to apply that to a known or unknown quantity is pointless. Also do all yall work for the CNN graphics department or something

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wait how many football fields is that?

Sorry I use the metric scale unit "elephants stacked atop one another", that Imperial stuff is impenetrable

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

zoux posted:

"10 billion" is a meaningless number as far as human conception, it might as well be a gazillion bajillion, so to apply that to a known or unknown quantity is pointless. Also do all yall work for the CNN graphics department or something

It totally is! It's a thing that can't be meaningfully elaborated from things people know, but dammit they need a way to drive that or something like it home.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

xthetenth posted:

but dammit they need a way to drive that or something like it home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRbj1Q4tXNo&t=70s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
edit: blah someone already said it

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 11, 2019