Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

trucutru posted:

Latest one that is $750+

I can't wait for the minelayer to come out because it's absolutely going to play hell with the already overtaxed servers. Either that or just outright not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Vehicle Pipeline Director.

Let that sink in for a moment.

I'm the Chief Breaker-Upper at the local peanut brittle factory.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Burns
May 10, 2008

Just think, it took less time to win WW2 than to get SC to alpha.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Burns posted:

It took less time to go into real actual space than to get SC to beta.
These days, it's also cheaper.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

it's not unusual for games to be in development for ten years and cost four hundred million dollars

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Burns posted:

I'll have u know WW2 development started in 1918

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

People who pay money should get something better than you can earn in game. #notpay2win

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

25. Ship station docking? Erm no, probably not.

Uhh, what do you think this is??? World war 3? We all know military tactics were frozen in the 20th century and never changed.

In space you have to land your ship on top of a landing deck and walk to the dock!

How else does your boyfriend get to push your charred corpse off the landing pad with a space tractor???

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hav posted:

But in Tinder now, I can swipe.

The future blows.

It's more that they appear to have found a new buzzword.

I'm actually having some trouble cutting through that bullshit, mainly because storage and query are different things, but it sounds like a master/slave set up for the persistence store where they're using a local cached copy of the most commonly used result-sets for a given localized instance.

Again, we've pretty much figured out that they're trying to run this via microservices, and that provides a quicker method to get to commonly used data, but they're still going to suffer congestion building the localized sets in the first place.

March 2019

August 2019

Looking forward to the conversations soon about switch saturation.

I love that "we're gonna cache some data" gets a unique name and fanfare like its next level tech.

"Oh sure you have ray tracing, but do you have... query caches??"

".... yes? That's loving basic."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Agony Aunt posted:

Thing is, what they mean by vertical slice is probably different from what is usually meant by it.

Here's an image from wikipedia demonstrating what is usually meant by vertical slide

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_slice#/media/File:Vertical_slice.png

Basically some top to bottom release of a feature or set of features.

What CIG probably mean by vertical slice is: Everything we have including the kitchen sink.

In other words, just like they do now.

A vertical slice usually means there is more there, its just not being relased yet, it might require polish or a bit more development. But CIG are releasing alphas, almost everything needs polish or more devleopment, many things are tier 0 or buggy as hell. Sure, they have stuff in development still, but that isn't even alpha state ready.

In short, business as usual, just slap a name on it to make backers think there is more stuff being hidden away for "reasons".

As usual, CIG is basically LARPing as a game company, using words other game companies use when making progress to imply they too are making progress.

But there's no "beta police" to call you out on it. Ideally this would all be fraud but good luck proving so in court.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

Also, some fun P2W news from the front.

You all remember the Hammerhead, the $700 ship that was the bestest and biggest last year? The one whose shields are completely impenetrable to the laser fire of like 6 player-manned fighters and that has 24 size-4 guns because gently caress everyone else?

Well, looks like it is completely unable to kill the $1000 super-yacht. As in, sustained fire from all turrets on a Hammerhead might be able to just take the shields down, in about twelve minutes on one facing.

Obviously this is all cool and good, and nobody has really noticed because nobody actually fights in Star Citizen- certainly nobody fights in the megaships, they're too bulky and unwieldy and they require half the server sitting in turrets. Money well spent!

CIG will just do the balancing. It's easy.

Mine layer arrives, with it's even bigger turrets. (Mines to be delivered later).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Pixelate posted:

CIG will just do the balancing. It's easy.

Mine layer arrives, with it's even bigger turrets. (Mines to be delivered later).

GameBalance=1

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

CIG balance is to follow the Lesnick challenge with a box of Sandi donut for those on a diet.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yes comparing how much money a scummy, released game makes in profit to your unreleased tech demo is a completely obvious thing to do.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yes, released games make money rather than sucking up money. That is surprising for some i guess.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Klyith posted:

....... Crobbler is probably having small self-doubts about just how much of a visionary genius he is, so he's avoiding everything but the Con appearances in front of the remaining hard-core fans. .......

I think his "executive vitamins" are there to help him with this.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

hello which ships is it good to buy

Any that punch above their weight.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Everyone's missing the most important part of doing "staggered development"- only having to admit they missed 90% of their deadlines twice a year, rather than four times a year...

No, you don't understand staggered development.

There will be two dev channels, each of six months. So 2 times twice per year, 4 times.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
just lol if CIG is trying to brand instruction cache in commercial CPUs as a feature. What next they're going to "invent" dcache?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Agony Aunt posted:

There will be two dev channels, each of six months. So 2 times twice per year, 4 times.

Huh, guess I don't understand it. (Then again that's probably something CIG and I have in common...)

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
star citizen is the mother of game development.
ci(g) will save all everything and gave me more joy then this girl that rejected me when i was a teenager.
this post makes absolutely no sense.

you are extreme haters with no disposable income and you understand nothing about love.

thanks for reading.

edit: if you knew anything about love, dominance, responsability and how to be an alpha male then you would already own a legatus pack and we could discuss things in the million mile high club in the verse.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 10, 2019

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
hello commandos

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Agony Aunt posted:

That's the plan, unfortunately the Dev responsible for updating the community will not be able to do that because....

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

darkarchon posted:

hello commandos

yo

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Agony Aunt posted:

This staggered development crap...

If you are doing releases every quarter, NOTHING IN THE WORLD keeps your developers from working on a branch and not shipping in one of your quarterly releases. It's just a common sense thing to do for some things, and really obvious.

So naturally we get told that it is a brilliant idea that CI(G) has put into place, and of course it is a complete smoke screen excuse for delays and crappy releases, and of course the backers are totally fine with that. Sometimes I think CI(G) could shut the whole thing down, and if they came up with a new name for it, like Liquidation Pipeline Physicalized Asset Disposal, the backers would be totally happy.

The real staggered development is that Chris staggers up and impedes development by issuing random orders.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Grubby Hobo posted:

The real staggered development is that Chris staggers up and impedes development by issuing random orders.

Hey now, the snoopy cap is the difference between a AAAA game and some scrub-tier AAA game. :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lmao fortnight is free to play

Also they didn't charge even $1 before the game was done. You can't even begin to compare SC to that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Popete posted:

just lol if CIG is trying to brand instruction cache in commercial CPUs as a feature. What next they're going to "invent" dcache?

We've invented pipelining! Instructions are now buffered into the CPU!

10 years from now, they'll invent Hyper Threading.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Grubby Hobo posted:

This staggered development crap...

If you are doing releases every quarter, NOTHING IN THE WORLD keeps your developers from working on a branch and not shipping in one of your quarterly releases. It's just a common sense thing to do for some things, and really obvious.

So naturally we get told that it is a brilliant idea that CI(G) has put into place, and of course it is a complete smoke screen excuse for delays and crappy releases, and of course the backers are totally fine with that. Sometimes I think CI(G) could shut the whole thing down, and if they came up with a new name for it, like Liquidation Pipeline Physicalized Asset Disposal, the backers would be totally happy.

Part of me feels this is directly connected to his investors.

I'm sure the poo poo hit the fan when they realized there was no way they would meet whatever the contractual agreements were for the $46M so he hatched this bullshit mea culpa about how his diligent little developers were being crushed under the weight of excellence so he, as a good CEO, relented and is allowing them to "slow" down.

Totally not his fault, in fact I'm sure he absolved himself.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1170022932757614592
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1170016477723779073
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1170096510454784000
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1170396407758499840

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Buy this ship its the best buy it buy it buy it please dear God buy it !

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

trucutru posted:

Actually, it only delays the deadlines for 3 months one time so they'll have to admit that they hosed up thrice this year. But there will be a new $750+ ship so everybody will be happy.

Ah, but going forward, every key feature that gets punted from this patch to the next one means they'll get six months to lay the groundwork for why it's necessary to punt it again, instead of struggling to justify it every three months.

Plus, staggered development means that one team can say they made no progress on a feature because it requires something that the other team is working on to be completed first, which greatly expands their options for avoiding or ditching unpleasant and/or impossible tasks.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

I know Newsweek went downhill a while ago, but when did it turn into a pusillanimous purveyor of paid puff pieces?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/rmwarnick/status/1170102525967527936
https://twitter.com/MadMaxiMoxie/status/1170104343942402048
https://twitter.com/GrathTelkin/status/1170121717177602048

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

OH poo poo GRATH IS IN THE HOUSE!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

What the gently caress does define your legacy even mean

Does it mean you will your children a useless spaceship jpeg instead of money?

In that case way ahead of you Crobber, each and every Steam sale purchase is defining my legacy

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Holy poo poo, they are really, really pushing this ship. I think Chris has struck a gold mine. Get ready for this game to be nothing but luxury ship after luxury ship from now on.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why would you want to be a space uber driver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Holy poo poo, they are really, really pushing this ship. I think Chris has struck a gold mine. Get ready for this game to be nothing but luxury ship after luxury ship from now on.

They have to keep one-upping themselves to get the old fans to buy more and also buy for more money since they have fewer true believers than they used to.

So the aircraft carrier ship is coming soon.