Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

9 September 2019: No

Squadron 42 Official Release Date: -986 days

Can you move around your $1,000 ship without falling out LTI: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/Stoaker29/status/1170506141555679232
https://twitter.com/Stoaker29/status/1170515536284921861

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

They have to keep one-upping themselves to get the old fans to buy more and also buy for more money since they have fewer true believers than they used to.

So the aircraft carrier ship is coming soon.

The aircraft carrier requires tech they don't have (to keep the ships in place instead of clipping and exploding) so that one is 100% vaporware. So the next flyable ship that they have already sold has to be the Polaris.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Star Citizens have to make a huge deal about being able to walk around because its literally the only thing that SC does that Elite Dangerous and EVE Online don't do.

Of course, it barely doesn't even work

(EVE even does a little bit but only a tiny bit)

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

What the gently caress does define your legacy even mean

Please buy our ship. It has a lot of rooms.

Please...Purdy please?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/KenFromChicago/status/1170060853636415489

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zaphod42 posted:

Star Citizens have to make a huge deal about being able to walk around because its literally the only thing that SC does that Elite Dangerous and EVE Online don't do.

Of course, it barely doesn't even work

(EVE even does a little bit but only a tiny bit)

Very few people care about being the commando that flies the ship and also has space legs and the absolutely project-destroying conceit that everything has to be real. There's nothing wrong with having your NPC being on a space station, walking up to an image that represents your "ship" and getting a few seconds of a loading screen while the game loads up the space flight portions. It's the absolutely pathological insistence on CIG's part that the FPS portion, the player avatar, AND the ships have to exist perfectly in the same game space that torpedoed this project from day one, and the virtual impossibility (and, of course, the utter pointlessness) of making this work is one of the biggest reasons we're where we are today.

Just do what Star Wars Galaxies did in 2004 and you have 99% of what most of these people actually wanted.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

Very few people care about being the commando that flies the ship and also has space legs and the absolutely project-destroying conceit that everything has to be real. There's nothing wrong with having your NPC being on a space station, walking up to an image that represents your "ship" and getting a few seconds of a loading screen while the game loads up the space flight portions. It's the absolutely pathological insistence on CIG's part that the FPS portion, the player avatar, AND the ships have to exist perfectly in the same game space that torpedoed this project from day one, and the virtual impossibility (and, of course, the utter pointlessness) of making this work is one of the biggest reasons we're where we are today.

Just do what Star Wars Galaxies did in 2004 and you have 99% of what most of these people actually wanted.

Yeah, anybody who does want that doesn't actually want that they just haven't imagined the consequences.

Its like when EVE tried to combine DUST the FPS game with EVE. Even having them segregated to planets that the ships couldn't go to, just having them in the same universe hosed up the design of both and made their interaction horrible until they pulled the plug.

Only a few ARMA die-hard weirdos want to actually have to spend 20 minutes riding an APC into battle, only to get shot when they get out and have to embark on another 20 minute ride to get some more action.

The vast majority of gamers absolutely do NOT want that. They want fast action. They want fair matchmaking. You CANNOT have those things in the world that CIG has dreamed up. Matchmaking is literally impossible. Its just griefing as far as the eye can see.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Potato Salad posted:

9 September 2019: No

Squadron 42 Official Release Date: -986 days

Can you move around your $1,000 ship without falling out LTI: Yes

Days between Christmas 2016 and 9/9/2019 is actually 989 days. Tomorrow's update will reflect corrected date values :911:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

10 September 2019: No

Squadron 42 Official Release Date: -990 days

Can you move around your ship without falling out get in a flamewar with Grath: Yes

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaphod42 posted:

They have to keep one-upping themselves to get the old fans to buy more and also buy for more money since they have fewer true believers than they used to.

So the aircraft carrier ship is coming soon.

They sold that last year, it was the Kraken.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao fortnight is free to play

Also they didn't charge even $1 before the game was done. You can't even begin to compare SC to that.

Actually they did and its a sore point amongst original backers.

Originally Fortnite was the PvE game which became known as Save the World (this is what i play a lot). It was pre-order and then early access (it still is early access, years later, but totally playable). But when PUBG landed Epic saw those battle royale dollary doos and went for them, putting a lot of their effort into their Battle Royale game. So BR was released for free, but it was built using funds from StW, at least until they got it up and running.

Pretty sure these days its BR keeping the funding of StW going.

So, swings and roundabouts i suppose.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Awesome! posted:

why would you want to be a space uber driver

Because you'll get all the space chicks with your pixel mega yacht bro.

Duh.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Holy poo poo, they are really, really pushing this ship. I think Chris has struck a gold mine. Get ready for this game to be nothing but luxury ship after luxury ship from now on.

What do you mean, "From now on?"

This is literally the sixth luxury ship in the game

85x
Archimedes
300i
600i
890J
Constellation "Phoenix"

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

With the campaign "Release the Kraken" …. CIG as still not managed to release the Kraken yet, ~10 months on, despite having a physical model of it built for CitizenCon.

Even the $110 Anvil Ballista missile trucks form a few months ago are forgotten about. (In game tech-demo but pre-tier-0 gameplay)

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 11, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sarsapariller posted:

What do you mean, "From now on?"

This is literally the sixth luxury ship in the game

85x
Archimedes
300i
600i
890J
Constellation "Phoenix"

i nearly forgot the hilarity of "OUR MARY SUE SHIP HAS A HOT TUB"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Enough luxury, I want a spaceship made out of scrap metal, recycled cardboard and surplus wallpaper.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

eXXon posted:

Enough luxury, I want a spaceship made out of scrap metal, recycled cardboard and surplus wallpaper.

in rust we trust

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

just lol if CIG is trying to brand instruction cache in commercial CPUs as a feature. What next they're going to "invent" dcache?

In the most hilarious of worlds, CIG would claim to be researching new CPU and GPU architectures optimized for Star Citizen. From scratch.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Chris should take a page from the original Police Quest and force commandos to do a 360 degree visual inspection of their chariots before take-off or risk blowing up even more often.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

What the gently caress does define your legacy even mean

When your grandkids ask why their parents couldn't go to college you can show them this jpg.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

So how is the foip thing coming along? If I go to facewares site and scroll through the AAA games section, cig and star citizen aren't listed. Did the special, fancy webcam get released?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

What does your heart tell you?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

So what, they´ll now bring the carrier of carriers.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Naming anything “iSomething” unless you are actually Apple is extremely 2002 in my book :shrug:

2002 is positively futuristic for when the crobber last was involved in a video game

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Oh no Mirificus bot has awoken from his slumber.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandweed posted:

Oh no Mirificus bot has awoken from his slumber.

Release the Miribot!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/Stoaker29/status/1170521524064989184
https://twitter.com/Bucketnate/status/1170523831016071168

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I too lie awake in a cold sweat worrying about the player numbers of a game I no longer play

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Holy poo poo, they are really, really pushing this ship. I think Chris has struck a gold mine. Get ready for this game to be nothing but luxury ship after luxury ship from now on.

Nah. They sold like ~240 of them Day 1, ~140 of them Day 2 and ~30 tops Day 3 (if the tracker is to be believed, going from the standard numbers of daily pledging). By today the numbers are back to usual numbers, it doesn't sell anymore. Total raised was about ~400k, though, which is nice - but not a deal breaker to keep company of such size afloat, you'd have to have like ten such sales every month.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MedicineHut posted:

So what, they´ll now bring the carrier of carriers.

Do you have enough jpegs, king of carriers? UNLIMITED WALLET WORKS!

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The irony here is that in ED, all you need to do is buy a luxury cabin. And viola, "Luxury".

Of course only certain ships can fit said cabin, but hey that's a working game feature.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Forget about stupidly priced jpgs. Here is one for free of my baby girl playing with her daycare friends:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Way back then when all this SC stuff was starting the topic of it killing EVE was a fun thread and banter maker. 8 years later, with SC still being poo poo, it is just cute and sad at the same time.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MedicineHut posted:

Way back then when all this SC stuff was starting the topic of it killing EVE was a fun thread and banter maker. 8 years later, with SC still being poo poo, it is just cute and sad at the same time.

It would also be the first time a FPS game has killed a strategy game.

Its about as stupid as saying Quake killed Command and Conquer.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

no_recall posted:

The irony here is that in ED, all you need to do is buy a luxury cabin. And viola, "Luxury".

Of course only certain ships can fit said cabin, but hey that's a working game feature.

That's not really exact - that's a luxury for your customers, though arguably the Dolphin/Orca/Beluga line is fairly nice in interior, but wouldn't describe it as luxurious (for example ).

The "luxurious" (or "basking") brand in Elite is considered to be Gutamaya, and their ships are mostly locked behind imperial ranks - with which supposedly comes your status (though it doesn't show anywhere else in the game so far, which is kinda pity). Their cockpits are a step above the abovementioned ships (for example Cutter - this is beta, it's a bit more smooth and polished now, but I can't find nice enough shot of it -, though for some reason I prefer Courier's cozy cockpit).

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Somebody to post in Derek's face on an icerberg ?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Ffs, "Luxury". One of those words that for some unknown reason, really pisses me off when it's used to describe something that in no way shape or form, can be described as such.

Where exactly does "luxury" come into pixels in any way? It's not a bar of loving soap or a particulary soft towel, it's a piece of really lovely code that doesn't work very well. No matter how 'pretty' something digital looks, it's never "luxury".

Star Citizerps are really loving weird and apparently, super easy to dupe out of even more money. :shrug:

890Jump and catte taxxe:

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
A commando asks: What do you do if SC doesn’t pan out and fails ?

Cultists:
oh, that what be a bummer but I don’t care and move on“

Don't kill me but... https://reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/d129e6/dont_kill_me_but/

Yeah sure, you just ignore having believed in all the lies for 7 years now just to shrug it off and don’t care! No question :D „Oh, private funders money of 250 Million was sunk in an underwhelming buggy techdemo after 7 years that can’t compete with stuff other studios have developed with 15 people in 2 years, but that’s okay! I thought it might work after all!“

Not only are they accepting CIG lies and fakevideos, they are lying to themselves, hence their sunk cost psychological behavior and mindset. :allears:

The denial and ignorance of that guys is amazing, please keep on funding that trainwreck, I would really miss that entertainment tbh and watching SC and SQ42 not meeting even 10% of the milestones in 2020 and 2021 as well.