Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Red hats are the last enemies in the game you'll have to learn if it makes you feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

redreader posted:

I killed the palace boss and went back to the castle... Oh cool, I'm locked out again. I suppose technically I can do some sort of shortcut from the top of the castle but I should go back to the start of the game to experience the full thing properly. I closed the game when I saw how tough those new attackers are. I'll get back to this ... at some point. Couldn't be arsed right now. IMHO this is the least-replayable From game so far, but yes it is good. Too much castle bullshit.

You can just skip them.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ice Fist posted:

You can just skip them.
yeah, you're a shinobi, one of the major tenets of that career choice is to go "lol nope" and just jump past poo poo

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

It is probably the least replayable tho because there's no build variety, which is the only thing driving replayability in the other games.

Instead you have to want to experience the different endings or get Plat, but I get not everyone is interested in that.

Still, I'd have a hard time choosing between Bloodborne and Sekiro for my favorite From game. They're both so good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sekiro has a very ambitious and successful battle system. Dark Souls is like, a lifestyle. I prefer sekiro combat but the back half of DS3 is the most wicked sick series of bosses in any game ever. Hard to compare the two.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Just finished this.

Hands down one of the best games I've ever played. Easily the most tightly designed of Miyazaki's games (though I'll always have a soft spot for BB just due to the theme). A mechanical masterpiece. The best asskicking ninja game since Ninja Gaiden Black.

Best of all, I managed to remain entirely unspoiled and played through totally blind.

Endgame spoilers

I got the Immortal Severance ending and beat up the Hatred demon before doing so. I found both of the snake hearts, but I'm not sure I did anything with them correctly?

Hell of game. Now to catch up on 500 pages of chatter, it'll be cathartic to hear other people suffering as I did :haw:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

victrix posted:

Just finished this.

Hands down one of the best games I've ever played. Easily the most tightly designed of Miyazaki's games (though I'll always have a soft spot for BB just due to the theme). A mechanical masterpiece. The best asskicking ninja game since Ninja Gaiden Black.

Best of all, I managed to remain entirely unspoiled and played through totally blind.

Endgame spoilers

I got the Immortal Severance ending and beat up the Hatred demon before doing so. I found both of the snake hearts, but I'm not sure I did anything with them correctly?

Hell of game. Now to catch up on 500 pages of chatter, it'll be cathartic to hear other people suffering as I did :haw:

You gotta give them to the Divine Child

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kild posted:

You gotta give them to the Divine Child

Huh, that's what I figured given the persimmon in the description, but I never had the option despite revisiting often. Next time!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

victrix posted:

Huh, that's what I figured given the persimmon in the description, but I never had the option despite revisiting often. Next time!

you gotta eat a bunch of rice that she gives you for it to trigger

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just beat my second play through. I have every prosthetic upgrade, and every skill except one minor skill and the capstone skill in two trees, and most of that final tree, which turns out to still add up to 37 points :gonk:
Both versions of Owl still gave me trouble, but Demon of Hatred took three and Sword Saint didn’t take too many. Most problems with the latter came from Genichiro sucking up all my healing items.

I learned that you can instantly break the Sakura Bull’s posture and skip the fight by sneaking up behind it and throwing firecrackers at it and decided to try it. It reared back and started doing that weird run when it’s about to crash into a wall, but it froze completely still after one hop. Hitting him with my sword snapped him out of it. I tried again, but he did the same thing. I didn’t hit him with my sword the, and he snapped out of it after several seconds. I just gave up on it then.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 12, 2019

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kild posted:

you gotta eat a bunch of rice that she gives you for it to trigger

I just checked the full spoiler and I literally did everything in there, but they never moved to the hall of illusion for some reason :( Shame, I'd done everything else needed for that ending too.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Dr Christmas posted:

I just beat my second play through. I have every prosthetic upgrade, and every skill except one minor skill and the capstone skill in two trees, and most of that final tree, which turns out to still add up to 37 points :gonk:
Both versions of Owl still gave me trouble, but Demon of Hatred took three and Sword Saint didn’t take too many. Most problems with the latter came from Genichiro sucking up all my healing items.

I learned that you can instantly break the Sakura Bull’s posture and skip the fight by sneaking up behind it and throwing firecrackers at it and decided to try it. It reared back and started doing that weird run when it’s about to crash into a wall, but it froze completely still after one hop. Hitting him with my sword snapped him out of it. I tried again, but he did the same thing. I didn’t hit him with my sword the, and he snapped out of it after several seconds. I just gave up on it then.

I didn't know that about the bull, but I did know you can plunging deathblow it for a good chunk of hp

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017

victrix posted:

I just checked the full spoiler and I literally did everything in there, but they never moved to the hall of illusion for some reason :( Shame, I'd done everything else needed for that ending too.

It's a complete pain in the arse getting that ending. How anybody managed it before the walkthroughs became available, I'll never know

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So I learned the blue flames don't cause fear in the red eyed ogre. :(

Trip Hazard posted:

It's a complete pain in the arse getting that ending. How anybody managed it before the walkthroughs became available, I'll never know

I went Senpou early due to being frustrated by Genichiro, the quest has a natural enough flow when you get the monk asking you to give Holy Chapter to the girl.
But yeah, if you never go there early, I could see not picking up on that thread.

I also stumbled into freeing Yuria in Demon's Souls the first time I played it, it's a good part luck and the rest is falling in line with the video game logic.

I feel like the Shura ending is the one I'd likely have never stumbled into.

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
I've never seen that monk there. Well, I have, in a let's play, but he's never been there for me. My first time through, I did Senpou before Genichiro, but he wasn't there. What's up with that?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
My second playthrough I went there before doing Genichiro and the monk was there but he never had dialog about the Divine Child.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Trip Hazard posted:

You just keep talking to her, I found it without a walkthrough. It's way more straightforward than the other one that requires an eavesdrop to start.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

You just keep talking to her, I found it without a walkthrough. It's way more straightforward than the other one that requires an eavesdrop to start.

This. The return ending is mostly a product of standard FromSoft conversation completion and remembering to check back in with characters occasionally as the game progresses. Just keep talking to people until their dialogue runs out. I could imagine pretty easily someone exploring and finding the monk at Senpou before doing Genichiro. Then it’s probably a matter mostly of continuing to go back to the divine child for rice and continuing to exhaust her dialogue.

The purification ending is far more obtuse imo.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Ice Fist posted:

It is probably the least replayable tho because there's no build variety, which is the only thing driving replayability in the other games.

Instead you have to want to experience the different endings or get Plat, but I get not everyone is interested in that.

Still, I'd have a hard time choosing between Bloodborne and Sekiro for my favorite From game. They're both so good.

I heavily disagree, different builds arent at all the reason I replay Soulsborne games and I think Sekiro is my favorite to replay at the moment. The potential for getting good at this game is much higher than Bloodborne or Souls, and I think the combat is way more precise in such a way that you can get it down to a science whereas dark souls 3 you have to just hope that your roll doesn’t end it’s I-frames before their weapons’ hit box is near yours, so subsequent runs of Sekiro can be incredibly fast, while my first was over a hundred hours long because I grinded for the platinum, my next NG playthrough was very short, then the one after that I beat Gyoubou, Juzou, Guardian Ape, both Corrupted Monks in one attempt and then beat Genichiro, ISS, both Owls and Lady Butterfly in like 2-3 tries, and besides Lady Butterfly, all of those bosses were so difficult for my on my first playthrough, like ISS might’ve taken well over 100 tries, it wouldn’t surprise me at all, so it’s incredibly satisfying in a way that I think all of the Souls games are for me when it comes to replayability, but since the combat is so different, I think it’s way more fun and you can consistently improve and there’s not much that’s ambiguous as far as why you got hit by an attack, but in Bloodborne and Souls, even though I’ve got the muscle memory down and can feel it out, I also couldn’t tell you what makes a certain attack miss when you roll forward.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 20, 2019

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Trip Hazard posted:

I've never seen that monk there. Well, I have, in a let's play, but he's never been there for me. My first time through, I did Senpou before Genichiro, but he wasn't there. What's up with that?

Hmm, did you maybe defeat the ape or monk before going there?
I have no idea, but maybe it's tied more to a time passing trigger, than a defeating Genichiro one.
Lots of bizarre triggers like that in Dark Souls.

GodFish posted:

My second playthrough I went there before doing Genichiro and the monk was there but he never had dialog about the Divine Child.

You find out about the holy person at Senpou from that old lady praying on the Ashina drawbridge, I imagine talking to her let's you ask the monk about it.

Regy Rusty posted:

It's way more straightforward than the other one that requires an eavesdrop to start.

Ice Fist posted:

The purification ending is far more obtuse imo.

Yeah, I could see missing that. In general I tried to easedrop on everyone though.
I did miss when Orangutan was talking to Emma about the flames and all the first time around, but I kinda like Sekiro being clueless about the demon's identity
And it is pretty funny that later in the Purification quest, the sculptor will comment on how drafty the temple is, letting you know to easedrop then.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

what kind of masochist plays From games without spoilers???

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Only the first time through.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

what kind of masochist plays From games without spoilers???

half the fun is discovering things yourself

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Playing from games without the wiki doesn't make it more fun imo, just means you miss like half the content often including some of the best boss fights.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Using a guide to not miss all the coolest weapons in a FromSoft game has been pretty much my S.O.P. since the original Armored Core.

E. I always tell myself I’m not going to use an item guide, but then I get like 40% through a game and say: “damnit, I just know I’m going to miss the moonlight blade or whatever, so I better just look it up already”

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So someone made an html tracker page for DS3 that was perfect. Made sure you followed whatever story you wanted, didn't miss any items and was really good about avoiding spoilers.

Does something like this exist for Sekiro?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

bike tory posted:

Playing from games without the wiki doesn't make it more fun imo, just means you miss like half the content often including some of the best boss fights.

Maybe you do

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i wouldn't have gotten the mist raven and that's like... my favorite thing in the game.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
who needs a wiki when you can just follow SA threads

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe you do
yeah, I don't mean to go all :spergin: but I just hate it when people say that like it's a fact

I like playing the games slowly and methodically, going through each area and exploring every nook and cranny, reading everything and exhausting all dialogue, backtracking from time to time to see if things have changed as I progress through the game, and apart from the few extra obtuse NPC quests I've had no problems discovering everything on my own. Saying it's inevitable that you're gonna miss most of the game if you just play it normally without a wiki or guide is just wrong, and I think it's unfair to the games how it implies that they're full of stuff that it's "impossible" to figure out as if they were some terribly designed NES games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The only thing i missed in Sekiro was the purification ending, and although that's a pretty big thing to miss, the game's structure requires 2.5 playthroughs if you want to platinum it anyway. Since I did want to, it functionally just gave me something productive to do on my last playthrough other than just get the final lapis.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I get there's a certain kind of sick gently caress who likes going all the way down past pinwheel to the fog gate. And constantly second guessing yourself if you're supposed to actually fight this boss now or if there's a trick or you're wasting your time or whatever. But no one who uses spoilers is upset at anyone who doesn't.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 13, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

I get there's a certain kind of sick gently caress who likes going all the way down past pinwheel to the fog gate.

I read your post before you edited it and after and I'm still not sure what you're arguing

e: come on now

No Wave posted:

there's a certain kind of sick gently caress
no one who uses spoilers is upset at anyone who doesn't.
really? :v:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 13, 2019

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I play all From games blind the first time simply because I know I'm going to play them more than once anyway, and I'd rather just discover as much as I can on my own. I too tend to play very slowly and clear out an area, then explore every possible nook and cranny before I move on. Generally speaking, on a first playthrough I only might miss the most super obtuse of quests/endings.

However - if you wanna play with a guide, do your thang.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
So I’ve beat the Corrupted Monk Illusion and the Folding Screen Monkeys so all I have left is the Guardian Ape. Is there a good place to farm for cash that I have access too? I need to stock up on sport emblems* and I would like to be able to buy on the prosthetic upgrades I have the materials for.

*The game really should just restock your spirit emblems when you rest at an idol. I can’t believe From thought that emblem system was good when they’ve been pretty consistent about refreshable healing items being a better system than consumables.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That bit is probably my only gripe with the general game flow. Farming vials in BB sucked, farming emblems sucks here. Neither was super bad, just annoying, resting to refill seems so obvious.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
A couple decent midgame farming places I've used:
- Upper Ashina Castle idol, go up and circle around the screen to the right and stealth kill the lone blue samurai, then reset. Sometimes you get confetti as a bonus drop.
- Senpou Temple Grounds (after the armored warrior), hop over the lake and stealth kill all of the monks outside, then reset. Also a good source for sugars.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
You can clear from one end of the idol-burning house path to the other in the hirata estate pretty drat fast for a decent haul, but my personal spot for midgame farming is the the gunfort for good money, exp and crafting drops. Just skip the second shotgun guy in the first room going backwards from the idol.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just got the Shura ending on my third play through! It was tough. Last boss’ grab is a bitch. In the final phase, I kept getting thrown because the telegraphed attacks I learned how to punish in the previous phase were now accompanied by apocalyptic waves of fire and flurries of steel hitting me from across the room. I made a few trips back to the Divine Child for rice and dipped into my reserves of Divine Grass and Jizo statues. I even used the two unique ones from Jinzaemon when I thought I could get it.

So all that’s left to do before platinuming it is get 20-some skill points and the last ending. I decided to give Kuro the charm. I lost to Genichiro after fat-thumbing away from my healing gourd. Then I had my first wipe of the run to the Chained Ogre.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

wyoming posted:

Hmm, did you maybe defeat the ape or monk before going there?
I have no idea, but maybe it's tied more to a time passing trigger, than a defeating Genichiro one.
Lots of bizarre triggers like that in Dark Souls.

Tried this my current run, and while it did become overcast and snowy after defeating the corrupted monk, the centipede monk was still in Senpou. (though i didn't pick up the stone)
What was interesting though was I went back after defeating Genichiro but before talking to Isshin about the mortal blade, the monk was still there, but he refused to talk anymore.

This is also the first run where I defeated Genichiro before talking to Tengu, so I actually got to give that letter in Isshin's room to Emma for once. No special dialogue talking to Tengu though. Or when you go back to Emma after talking to him.