Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Chris Roberts can do anything better than other game developers can!

e:

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Chris Roberts Plays Star Citizen

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Dogeh posted:

1) So I get to meet said Hollywood stars?
2) Will I get to meet famous actress and best marketer since she was a little girl?
3) Will I get to see S42 finished?

1) Yes, If you’re lucky Chris may be back from Monaco and might stroll through the office. Mind the handlers and security though: He must remain protected against potentially villainous commoners and goons from the refund sub.

2) Yes. Stop by Chris’s house when his previous common-law girlfriend/wife is visiting. I’m sure the marketing queen we’ll stop by to lend a hand or two

3) Yes. Not only will see Sq42 finished, you might also see Star Citizen finished along with CI(not)G, and your future career in gaming when that association graces your resume.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1172185736008753157

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ecavalli posted:

Nah, that expired in 2015: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/12/loading-screen-game-patent-finally-expires

As to why no one else does loading screen minigames, at this point it's kind of a mystery.

Probably because so few games have long enough loading times that they can't get away by simply pretending they don't. The last one I can think of that had them was Wonderful 101, and that's because there just was no getting around how long those load times were, especially in contrast to all the frantic action inbetween. The idea of using the loading screen as a training area was quite inspired.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Wow, look at that gripping hand action. Even getting the wrist into it. Crop out the spaceship part on top and replace it with Three’s Company footage or the Sears underwear catalog.......

drat..... I might have a kickstarter idea here

Mne nravitsya fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 12, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

12 September 2019: No

Squadron 42 Official Release Date: -992 days

Can you move around your ship without falling out: No

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kw0134 posted:

Yeah, shock and surprise, when one party is all about being dilatory it causes delays in the case. (Though to be fair, some of the MtD stuff had better legs than I had thought, but the essential core was always going to have to go to trial if it didn't get settled; novel theories of damages aside, a contract case looks like a contract case.)

Seriously, all that poo poo about the Crytek employees jumping ship and the conflict of interest was going to be difficult to argue without having something solid up front, and it looked like sour grapes from the get go, although personally it lends credence to the whole theory that Chris was banking on Crytek going under.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sure thing, Chris. I'm sure the vast majority of people's first video game was your magnum opus about space cats and they're sure to recognize your grabby hand immediately.

Christ.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The number of 'Pong' replies tends to really heavily underline the age of the backers.

My personal vidyagayme journey started with this bad boy;

All variations on small blob interacts with larger blobs. It blew capacitors on a fairly regular basis, and was my first entrance into the world of solid state electronics, a field that would almost completely disappear.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Scruffpuff posted:

Remember the Fawlty Towers episode where Basil's wife gets pissed at him and fucks off on the same day he had a party planned for their anniversary? He spends the rest of the episode constructing more and more elaborate lies explaining her absence - that she's very ill, and can't see the guests, but she's totally there and everything is fine, eventually he dressed up Polly as his wife and turns down the lights and tries to pass her off to the guests. One guest gets too close and gets bitten before she can reveal the ruse. Things spiral further and further into the absurd in true series fashion.

Star Citizen is the game development version of that episode.

John Cleese accurately described Fawlty Towers as, basically, 30-minute farces. But whereas that was just a short, high-energy experiment, Star Citizen is a freaking marathoner of a farce that'll go on for a decade at least lol!

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 12, 2019

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hav posted:

Seriously, all that poo poo about the Crytek employees jumping ship and the conflict of interest was going to be difficult to argue without having something solid up front, and it looked like sour grapes from the get go, although personally it lends credence to the whole theory that Chris was banking on Crytek going under.
At the very heart of the case, stripping away the whining about how Ortwin is a meanie, or how this really represents a novel approach to intellectual property control, is that CI[G] made certain promises to Crytek about how its engine would be used and in what manner it would be allowed to market it. That's, legally speaking, very straightforward but the underlying facts are not and are in hot dispute. There's a lot which is mere distraction. The solid base of the case is one as old as commerce and is not easily dismissed.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
And ahhh good ole Grath weighing in... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ix8ECC-jN4&t=145s

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/Bucketnate/status/1170535716360790016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hav posted:

The number of 'Pong' replies tends to really heavily underline the age of the backers.

All variations on small blob interacts with larger blobs. It blew capacitors on a fairly regular basis, and was my first entrance into the world of solid state electronics, a field that would almost completely disappear.

My first videogame ever was Donkey Kong, but I honestly am not sure what console it was on. It was at some friend of my parents' house.

In my memory, it has the graphics of NES donkey kong, but I distinctly remember controlling it with one of those simple black Atari joysticks with the one red button. The classic 2600 ones.

2600 Donkey Kong looks super ugly though, so maybe it was like a 5200?

I only played it the one time so its very foggy, I have the memory of the memory more than anything.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The gall of trying to preemptively rub this in someone's face when it's easy to look up tons of old SC posts that are hilarious in retrospect, 7 years on.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The gall of trying to preemptively rub this in someone's face when it's easy to look up tons of old SC posts that are hilarious in retrospect, 7 years on.

"Quick, you better spend another 1k or CIG will go under and you won't be able to brutally own me!"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I love that Citizens still take pride in buying ships just to fund the game after CIG took $46m from the Calders.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Cyberpunk eating Robber's lunch again - the BTS video of the cinematic trailer shows they're better than him at mocap too: https://youtu.be/cgFvZmfjTYc

Like a dickhead I have this pre-ordered.

But my God it looks great, and CDPR have history, and this trailer, yeah it's cinematic but just so loving cool, and the musics !! :dogcited:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I agree it looks great but never preorder, ever

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

reverend crabhands posted:

Like a dickhead I have this pre-ordered.

But my God it looks great, and CDPR have history, and this trailer, yeah it's cinematic but just so loving cool, and the musics !! :dogcited:

They're going to buy a mansion with your sixty dollars and close up shop, just wait.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

<secretly pre-orders>

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Do it 1 hour before midnight release so you get the pre-order bonus without having to give them your money early for no reason :)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Hav posted:

Had an amiga and an amstrad years after they were already ancient and after i'd had a ps1 for ages,when stuff worked it was great though.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zaphod42 posted:

My first videogame ever was Donkey Kong, but I honestly am not sure what console it was on. It was at some friend of my parents' house.

In my memory, it has the graphics of NES donkey kong, but I distinctly remember controlling it with one of those simple black Atari joysticks with the one red button. The classic 2600 ones.

2600 Donkey Kong looks super ugly though, so maybe it was like a 5200?

I only played it the one time so its very foggy, I have the memory of the memory more than anything.

My guess would be the C64. It had the graphical quality close to the arcade edition, but lots of people used their Atari 2600 joysticks on that system because they were natively compatible.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's a shame those old Atari joysticks weren't natively compatible with the human hand.

loving torture devices.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

No, this case is not in Space Court Development Hell. Stop spreading FUD.

Crytek changed lawyers in June 2019 so legal development can only be started from then. Everything before that had to be scrapped by the court. Skadden messed things up because their arguments had the wrong dimensions.

Crytek increased the scope with their amended complaints and Discovery-ing, which takes time for CIG to do.

CIG asked :reddit: if they wanted a settlement or full-on Cryrekt and the votes showed unanimous support for Righteous Ortwinning. Backers chose this, Chris is just listening to them.

It's the Best drat Space Court Ever :eng101:

Am I reading this post correctly when I infer that CIG is allowing backers to vote on legal strategy? :stonk:

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Am I reading this post correctly when I infer that CIG is allowing backers to vote on legal strategy? :stonk:

Shouldn't come as a surprise. More PR theater to keep backers invested and make them more willing to fund legal costs.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I love that Citizens still take pride in buying ships just to fund the game after CIG took $46m from the Calders.

What i love about that sale is that 10% of everything the backers gave to Chris is now owned by Calder. What i really love is CIG now effectively has a publisher, albeit one with only a 10% stake and unless Calder put some very tight conditions in the agreement they don't have a controlling interest. But how many times will CIG have to carve out of part of the company and sell more of what the backers have given them?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Nah, he's just joking. But it wouldn't surprise me if certain backers believed they had some control over the strategy, the same way some backers will say "we are building a game with CIG!", as if posting on Spectrum/reddit somehow contributes to the development of the game or giving the devs money means you have some control over it.

There is a cautionary tale from the kickstarter of ED. The guy who funded (i think) the largest amount during the kickstarter didn't get what he wanted. After release he was incredibly salty. For years he posted negatively on the forums. Haven't seen them in a while, i think they gave up.

The lesson to learn is just because you are a whale and throw tons of money at a project, unless its a proper investment with a contract that clearly definies your level of control over the development of the project, then the devs have no obligation to do what you want.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Look I've dug my hole, let me wallow in it

Room in the hole for 2?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Agony Aunt posted:

The lesson to learn is kickstarter is charity, not an investment

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Agony Aunt posted:

Room in the hole for 2?

Something something your mum.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Baxta posted:

Perkele?

Go to pussy, Satan.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

eonwe posted:

is there a goon guild for this game yet

We don't talk about it in this open post.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I see that lapdances are already in.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
First computer game was 'Oh Mummy' on the Amstrad.
But one of the main games that stuck was Elite.
I spent hundreds of hours into that game.

Play Elite Dangerous, play Eve. Don't play Scam Citizen.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

My first ever video game was somehow Wizball on the Amiga 500. All other games since have seemed easy and logical.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
Rise of the Triad was the first shooter I ever played followed by Duke Nukem. Before that it was all about those BBS txt games. MUDD was king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

DapperDon posted:

Rise of the Triad was the first shooter I ever played followed by Duke Nukem. Before that it was all about those BBS txt games. MUDD was king.

TW2002 or LorD 4 lyf