Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I went back a few pages with no luck. What's the current recommendation for a bluetooth backup cam? I'm just going to hook it into the reverse light circuit so it comes on when backing up. Only going used for lining up the trailer hitch (mostly in the dark, so low light a plus). My head unit will accept a bluetooth camera right now, which is why i'm asking in that direction specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Charles posted:

I forgot to reply, but you can rotate the plastic inside the filter to try and adjust it for what looks best

I was playing with it, I think its installed in the frame correctly. I switched it around so the other side is up, seems a little better. I think my big white hood is throwing off my white balance though.

Anyway, 800 miles this past weekend and this is the only interesting thing that happened 20 minutes before I got home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STZ15AMA92I

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I went back a few pages with no luck. What's the current recommendation for a bluetooth backup cam? I'm just going to hook it into the reverse light circuit so it comes on when backing up. Only going used for lining up the trailer hitch (mostly in the dark, so low light a plus). My head unit will accept a bluetooth camera right now, which is why i'm asking in that direction specifically.
There is no such thing as a standard for Bluetooth backup cams. Bluetooth is typically used for low bitrate content, high quality audio and high refresh rate input devices normally push its limits, so video is not really ideal for it. It's technically possible I guess, maybe using PAN mode or even just as a direct serial bitstream, but as there are no standards if such a thing exists it'd almost certainly be proprietary. I feel like it's more likely you're misinterpreting something and/or there's some kind of translation issue. Can you link the head unit?

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

Got rear-ended in stop and go traffic today! Heard tires squeal and looked in my rear view to find a '15 Fit barreling at my back bumper unsuccessfully attempting to dive sideways at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dljwnUEOLGQ

Complete with my profusely cursing while on Bluetooth with my mom, who was excitedly commenting about... Andrew Yang's opening remarks.

Makes me wish I had a reverse-facing camera too. Wish I could have seen the look of surprise on the guy's face as he looked up from his phone to discover me at a full stop. Anyway, I look forward to the internet tough guy squad telling me how I did everything wrong like the last time I posted a video itt!

Anyone had to deal with Allstate claims before? Are they gonna be dicks about making me whole for the ceramic coat?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Charles posted:

If you're in the U.S. and okay getting a little bit older rear camera you can get one free
https://streetguardian.cam/product/sggcx2pro
Add the coupon code " Free323X2Pro "

I think all of them will get license plates during the day and close enough. If at night I'm not sure anybody can guarantee that.

I also bought this after sort of jumping into this without a ton of research. There appear to be similar looking models out there for reasonable prices that include WiFi to grab the footage and that, but they also come from strange brand names.

At any rate, the installation kit does come with a ton of pieces and no explanation as to when to use any of them or when not to, so I sort of puzzled together something that worked for me. I have a Volvo with all the city safety stuff behind the mirror. The plastic shroud comes off around that easy enough, revealing a notch in the headliner that I was able to slip the wiring through, while wedging the rest of it in around the edge. I used the piece of loom that came with it to cover the three wires going to the camera body, so that was nice, and it all clipped back together. The downside is with the wide angle lens I had to move the camera further over to avoid filming the black plastic. As the driver the thing is completely out of sight behind the mirror.

That rear camera comes with a very long cable but it's also thiccc and more difficult to squeeze into tiny gaps. I wasn't sure what to do with it so it's in the middle of the rear glass with the cable clips holding the cable. Doesn't seem like there's any sort of elegant/wireless way to have a camera on the back hatch if there isn't one there factory, or a good way to route wiring into it.

I haven't pulled footage yet but once you decide which of the puzzle pieces you want to use for installation, it was pretty easy. I can't imagine it's any worse on any other dash cam tbh.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Linux Fairy posted:

Got rear-ended in stop and go traffic today! Heard tires squeal and looked in my rear view to find a '15 Fit barreling at my back bumper unsuccessfully attempting to dive sideways at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dljwnUEOLGQ

Complete with my profusely cursing while on Bluetooth with my mom, who was excitedly commenting about... Andrew Yang's opening remarks.

Makes me wish I had a reverse-facing camera too. Wish I could have seen the look of surprise on the guy's face as he looked up from his phone to discover me at a full stop. Anyway, I look forward to the internet tough guy squad telling me how I did everything wrong like the last time I posted a video itt!

Anyone had to deal with Allstate claims before? Are they gonna be dicks about making me whole for the ceramic coat?

Dude, that's not profusely cursing. I still haven't gotten a camera in my M3 yet, but I don't think I would have posted the video when I got rear ended last Saturday as I was losing my loving mind and screaming at the person in my mirror.

Are you through Allstate or is the other person? I'd just picked mine up from getting a ceramic coating done 4 hours before I got rear ended and I'm absolutely going to get it taken care of. I've started a claim with my insurance company but the people that hit me are going to try and take care of things without going through insurance.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have nothing positive to say about my experiences with Allstate home or auto insurance. They made the claims process incredibly difficult for no good reason, and the local agent was completely powerless to do anything. She was not surprised when I dropped them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Local agents are worthless for claims handling and often don’t have a clue how it actually works.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Partycat posted:

At any rate, the installation kit does come with a ton of pieces and no explanation as to when to use any of them or when not to

Yup this was me. I unpacked it, looked at all the pretty plastic parts, then packed it back up again and resolved to install it when the time and motivation appeared.

So far nothin.

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

With just some glitter and a wink, your data will be turned into a 40GB looping .gif of penguins fucking.

I have Amica; the other guy has Allstate. Strike one was that they made me install their stupid mobile app to upload a photo of the damage :goonsay:

I originally called Amica, and they offered to claim it under my comprehensive (and then they'd try to collect my deductible back from Allstate), but the guy on the phone couldn't tell me if it would affect my premiums, and told me I'd have to negotiate with Allstate anyway for diminished value (which would be substantial; it's an otherwise spotless Golf R), so I decided that since the thing was drivable, I'd try first with Allstate and then come back to Amica if I didn't get what I wanted.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Linux Fairy posted:

I have Amica; the other guy has Allstate. Strike one was that they made me install their stupid mobile app to upload a photo of the damage :goonsay:

I originally called Amica, and they offered to claim it under my comprehensive (and then they'd try to collect my deductible back from Allstate), but the guy on the phone couldn't tell me if it would affect my premiums, and told me I'd have to negotiate with Allstate anyway for diminished value (which would be substantial; it's an otherwise spotless Golf R), so I decided that since the thing was drivable, I'd try first with Allstate and then come back to Amica if I didn't get what I wanted.

It’d be under your collision coverage with Amica, not comprehensive.

They also now have a record of the accident since you called in, so if a not at fault accident will impact your premiums it’s going to now for sure. They’d probably catch it on your CLUE report at the next renewal anyway. Amica tends to be a higher tier insurer so hopefully you’re not on the cusp where they’d drop you.

As for diminished value, fully expect Allstate to tell you to get hosed the first time. You might be able to get a few hundred dollars, maybe up to $500 just to make you go away but if you’re thinking it’s going to be “substantial” you’re likely to be disappointed. You could hire a third party or attempt to sue for whatever value you think it’s lost but the courts have generally not been favorable to a perceived loss of value that is very difficult to meaningfully quantify.

Allstate is the 4th largest insurer so their service level is roughly the same as you’d get at State Farm, GEICO, etc. It’s mostly dependent on your rep and how on it they are.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Michigan has some stupid insurance laws but the no-fault thing makes claims super loving easy. The only thing is a 500 deductible that I had my insurance agent/broker person file for me and they sent me a check.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Linux Fairy posted:

Call Allstate every day. The squeaky wheel really does get the grease with these big companies. On my claim, I had Geico when I got hit, they had State Farm. I called SF literally every day for a week and they eventually told me to stop calling, so I called my Geico guy, who called every day. Record turnaround for repair after that, and Geico told me they told HIM to stop calling, but he said "it's my job, you can't stop me" and they caved for everything we asked for.

Also: good choice in music.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Some overreactions on the commute this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcn88p5ybLs

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Lawyer the gently caress up

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Also, this just happened

https://youtu.be/sYkPByLPMjg

Dipshit got a ticket when police showed up

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

Also, this just happened

Ummm... sure they were being an rear end in a top hat and cutting in, but you clearly had time to stop. That one's on you, ticket or not.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Also, this just happened

Uh nice work showing him that you have the ROW and will not stop for any man. The pleasure of dealing with an auto accident just so you can feel that righteous indignation

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
This is the poo poo I chuckle at in every dash cam compilation.

Was it worth it?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I can't imagine how passive aggressive you have to be to actually get into an accident passive aggressively.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Ummm... sure they were being an rear end in a top hat and cutting in, but you clearly had time to stop. That one's on you, ticket or not.

Haha seriously. At first I was wondering how he got the footage.

People merge like that all the time in California. The only time I would ever block someone out is if they’re clearly an rear end in a top hat trying to cut traffic. And even then I’m going to back down from a crash.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I wasn't really paying attention to him, and didn't notice that we're about to hit until the last second. But I guess you all just assumed that I hit him intentionally or something for some reason. But really, no remorse on my end still. The merging area ended 50 feet ago, both of those cars are on the shoulder.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you had a good six seconds of driving straight forwards at a steady speed while the guy had his turn signal on and was steering into your lane. it looks completely intentional because you do absolutely nothing to avoid the collision.

if the alternative is that you literally didn't notice the car at your two o' clock with a flashing light on it moving into your lane for several seconds, and you just hit him out of obliviousness, cut up your license.

the guy was a bit of a dick to squeeze in like that but i see that exact move in san francisco so much that i wouldn't even honk at him, just slow down a bit and sigh. the collision is 100% your fault.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Nitrox posted:

I wasn't really paying attention to him, and didn't notice

oh ok

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Nitrox posted:

I wasn't really paying attention to him, and didn't notice that we're about to hit until the last second. But I guess you all just assumed that I hit him intentionally or something for some reason. But really, no remorse on my end still. The merging area ended 50 feet ago, both of those cars are on the shoulder.

You think this makes it better, it does not.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
For me, at least, I can understand rote negligence more readily than hitting someone on purpose.

Still not a good look at all, but shittier things have happened to nicer people than the guy cutting into traffic, I guess.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Reminder that the person merging would be at fault no matter how dickish the driver was to hit them because the person merging is required to yield. In getting hit, they obviously did not yield as they were supposed to.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nitrox posted:

You are a loving danger to human life. You belong in prison. Never drive again.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
23 new posts in the Dashcam Thread and they did not disappoint.

YMMV but AllState provided diminished value to me for my stupid 1 car accident with a parking lot pole without any problems.That covered my deductible and then some. I've had good experiences with AllState car insurance, but their homeowners is renowned for how stingy it is.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Nitrox posted:

Also, this just happened

I am right here lolling and cheering you on as you absent mindedly ram the would be merger.

🐏 🐏 🐏

You should have backed up and rammed him again, imho

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

carry on then posted:

I gave this some thought and, no. I will continue to operate my three ton death dealing missile on public roads, and blindly smash into everyone and everything with complete disregard for human life. In fact, I'll probably mount a giant push bar on every side of my vehicle.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

JuffoWup posted:

Reminder that the person merging would be at fault no matter how dickish the driver was to hit them because the person merging is required to yield. In getting hit, they obviously did not yield as they were supposed to.

Fault is not a binary thing though, if someone submitted this video to prove their case I would absolutely put negligence on them as well. In some states if you contribute at all to the accident you can’t collect from the other party.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

This is a bit much.

Ah, perfection.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

merging

The Linux Fairy
Apr 7, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It’d be under your collision coverage with Amica, not comprehensive.

They also now have a record of the accident since you called in, so if a not at fault accident will impact your premiums it’s going to now for sure. They’d probably catch it on your CLUE report at the next renewal anyway. Amica tends to be a higher tier insurer so hopefully you’re not on the cusp where they’d drop you.

As for diminished value, fully expect Allstate to tell you to get hosed the first time. You might be able to get a few hundred dollars, maybe up to $500 just to make you go away but if you’re thinking it’s going to be “substantial” you’re likely to be disappointed. You could hire a third party or attempt to sue for whatever value you think it’s lost but the courts have generally not been favorable to a perceived loss of value that is very difficult to meaningfully quantify.

Huh, I'm pretty sure that collision was for liability (and, in fact, that bill item is listed as "Liability"), and comprehensive is, as Amica says, "damage to your auto" (which they split into "collision loss" and "other than collision loss"). But no, I've never made a claim against this policy, nor have I had points on my license in CA in the seven years I've had this policy, so I think it seems unlikely that they'll drop me. I'll be interested to see how much noise I will have to make about diminished value. On the Genesis I would not have given a poo poo, but on a relatively new Actually Nice car that I have not beaten the crap out of with an enthusiast base behind it, I wonder what I can actually squeeze them for.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Call Allstate every day. The squeaky wheel really does get the grease with these big companies. On my claim, I had Geico when I got hit, they had State Farm. I called SF literally every day for a week and they eventually told me to stop calling, so I called my Geico guy, who called every day. Record turnaround for repair after that, and Geico told me they told HIM to stop calling, but he said "it's my job, you can't stop me" and they caved for everything we asked for.

Also: good choice in music.

I was wondering if anyone would catch the VNV! Yeah, surprisingly, they made an estimate right away. I took it to my body shop of choice, which looked at their estimate and said "uh, yeah, that bumper is a "replace" not "repair" thing, and there's probably stuff hiding underneath, but we'll figure it out with them", which makes me feel at least decently confident that that part will be handled relatively easily.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

JuffoWup posted:

This is not strictly true. Everyone has a responsibility to avoid an accident and if you had the last clear chance to avoid an accident by braking from 5mph to 0 mph in 6 seconds, you're going to have some fault.
Literally all of these "person who hits other person in some way is ALWAYS AT FAULT" are not true 100% of the time.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Sup bros, just turning right on this red light. What's that? Yeeld? I don't know what that word means...

https://i.imgur.com/a6QDwEF.mp4

I could have hit this dumbass and still been :airquote: right, but I chose not to. If it isn't clear, that's a left turn flashing yellow arrow (yield) turning green (ROW).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

two lanes to turn right, too, great job

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Shere posted:

I can't imagine how passive aggressive you have to be to actually get into an accident passive aggressively.

See, this is why I don't trust myself with a dash cam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

Sup bros, just turning right on this red light. What's that? Yeeld? I don't know what that word means...

https://i.imgur.com/a6QDwEF.mp4

I could have hit this dumbass and still been :airquote: right, but I chose not to. If it isn't clear, that's a left turn flashing yellow arrow (yield) turning green (ROW).
Hitting them would have taught them the lesson though!