Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Bust Rodd posted:

I just feel like Onstadt is paralyzed by anxiety about Achewood. It’s truly lightning in a bottle and every time he goes back to twist the lid and try again it seems like more of the spark seeps out and it fades. Just rebottle the lightning in a crisp new package and ship it, you dweeb!

I've seen that happen to other artists. When something is just this stupid, fun thing it has a sense of vitality. You can mess with it, change it around, who cares. But years go by and all of a sudden it's now ART with SIGNIFICANCE, and you're scared to mess with it, and you've lost touch with what drove it to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Just give me a giant hardcover anthology with all the strips and there alt texts as captions, I would LITERALLY pay $150 for such a book if it existed.

I just feel like Onstadt is paralyzed by anxiety about Achewood. It’s truly lightning in a bottle and every time he goes back to twist the lid and try again it seems like more of the spark seeps out and it fades. Just rebottle the lightning in a crisp new package and ship it, you dweeb!

I always thought the strips with the blog entries mixed in chronologically would make a great book

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Middling achewood is better than the best of any other webcomic. More please

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
You thought any of the last few matches were "middling"?

I'm fine with no more- but I would like some sort of collected archive of strips and blog posts + extras.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'll go to bat for some of the one-liners in the Penny 2 arc.

Daffodils are fantastic! I say!
SHITS just BARF you DIDN'T HONOR.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I'll take the Penny Arc as the end of Achewood over the limp noodle "Let's get RB stoned because it makes him happy" bullshit it actually ended with.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Shibawanko posted:

The final Penny arc was real bad and I don't want to read something like that again
The surrealism wasn't to everyone's taste, but Achewood was at its weakest when Onstad was just writing about his relationship failures.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm torn cause I thought there was enough good stuff in that last yearlong revival to justify it but I also think that for example the Simpsons (the only thing that might might contribute as much to the vocabulary of my inner monologue as Achewood) demonstrates the possibility of almost entirely negating the value of your good stuff with a lot of bad stuff.

Especially I think the blogs from that time were really good, better than the comics, and I would like to see Chris set the comics aside and work in prose whether it's Achewood or something else entirely.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I know this thread is basically just a support group at this point, so I had a memory today I want to air. One time back in college I was hosting a party (maybe 13 years ago? christ) and a guy showed up wearing a shirt of the rabbit ambulance.

I told him that ambulance was probably employing the principles of hopping, and we both had a good laugh.

I'm a little sad in my confidence that I will never, ever experience a moment like that a second time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sometimes I feel like getting an Achewood tattoo just in case someone IRL will ever see it and then they can start talking to me about Achewood.

I’m completely serious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Scags McDouglas posted:

I'm a little sad in my confidence that I will never, ever experience a moment like that a second time.

Just be really good at paying attention and when somebody asks you how you manage to do it, you can let them know it beats you why most people suck but it's just not your scene :shobon:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bust Rodd posted:

Sometimes I feel like getting an Achewood tattoo just in case someone IRL will ever see it and then they can start talking to me about Achewood.

I’m completely serious.

I know how you feel. A person's reaction to Achewood honestly tells me a lot about them, and how compatible we are. It's just one of those magical rare things.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What is Onstad even doing these days?

https://www.instagram.com/onstad/?hl=en

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m completely serious.

I suggest JAMES GANDOLFINI across your chest.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Deathlove posted:

I suggest JAMES GANDOLFINI across your chest.

[Cornelius_Star Wars.jpeg]

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Looks like he's putting lao gan ma into burgers so as far as I can tell he's doing better than me.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Archyduchess posted:

Looks like he's putting lao gan ma into burgers so as far as I can tell he's doing better than me.

that sauce is life

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Scags McDouglas posted:

I know this thread is basically just a support group at this point, so I had a memory today I want to air. One time back in college I was hosting a party (maybe 13 years ago? christ) and a guy showed up wearing a shirt of the rabbit ambulance.

I told him that ambulance was probably employing the principles of hopping, and we both had a good laugh.

Sharing Achewood references IRL is a bit like sharing Withnail & I references, I imagine.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Zereth posted:

if my monitor resolution gets much higher they're going to get hard to read, yeah.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Bust Rodd posted:

Even if it isn’t autobiographical, at its best it definitely was the snapshot of a man from a place at a time in his life. He can’t really recapture the voice or feel of Achewood because he isn’t the person who made it anymore. There’s a reason shows that are good and last forever have interchangeable writers and character bibles... and even then end up not being very good after long enough. “poo poo’s hosed, Ponyboy.”

I think that’s how that quote goes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I edited Trouble Man and No-No into a 1920x1080 image a long time ago but even that is beginning to feel a little archaic.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747

mysterious frankie posted:

Even if it isn’t autobiographical, at its best it definitely was the snapshot of a man from a place at a time in his life. He can’t really recapture the voice or feel of Achewood because he isn’t the person who made it anymore. There’s a reason shows that are good and last forever have interchangeable writers and character bibles... and even then end up not being very good after long enough. “poo poo’s hosed, Ponyboy.”

I think that’s how that quote goes.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Hot take: I’d be down for new achewood strips

Mr. Dick would be down for some more guest strips. Get some of that achewood flavor without all the investment.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shibawanko posted:

Sharing Achewood references IRL is a bit like sharing Withnail & I references, I imagine.

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein a big old terrified eye starin at you

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Jerusalem posted:

I edited Trouble Man and No-No into a 1920x1080 image a long time ago but even that is beginning to feel a little archaic.

Anybody know if Trouble Man and No-No were present in the subscriber comics, or were originally intended to have been recurring characters, or anything? Always struck me as odd that they were named, given a desktop pattern, and only appeared briefly in one storyline.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Archyduchess posted:

Somebody in the comments mentions Nong's Khao Man Gai sauce as another option and that is also a brilliant idea.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

:hmmyes: I'm on a 2560x1440 monitor these days.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

Anybody know if Trouble Man and No-No were present in the subscriber comics, or were originally intended to have been recurring characters, or anything? Always struck me as odd that they were named, given a desktop pattern, and only appeared briefly in one storyline.

I would like to read a fan theory that ties them back to the Super-Secret Ice Cream Shop

In going back to confirm my memory that it was "Shop" and not "Parlor" or whatever I rediscovered this wonderful moment

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Clicked not too far from The Super-Secret Ice Cream Shop and got here. All these years I misread this strip and the previous one as Roast Beef puking onto an outlet rather than into it, and thought he was calling the Butterball hotline after the fact. I feel dumb as hell now that I'm realizing that the act was intentional, and probably not even an act of suicide so much as just a way to get to Hell in order to get his dogg out of there.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I would like to read a fan theory that ties them back to the Super-Secret Ice Cream Shop

In going back to confirm my memory that it was "Shop" and not "Parlor" or whatever I rediscovered this wonderful moment

I got in like a good eight-second scream

That may not sound like much but try it some time

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Leroy Dennui posted:

Clicked not too far from The Super-Secret Ice Cream Shop and got here. All these years I misread this strip and the previous one as Roast Beef puking onto an outlet rather than into it, and thought he was calling the Butterball hotline after the fact. I feel dumb as hell now that I'm realizing that the act was intentional, and probably not even an act of suicide so much as just a way to get to Hell in order to get his dogg out of there.

It's nice how smart and world-wise the Butterball hotline is.

"My friend Ray sold his soul to the Devil for a magical piano"
"Yeah to impress ladies with exactly"

I never thought the Subaru Brat was such a terrible idea. Terrible name, yes. :shrug:

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I think every day was mother-loving vodka day when Onstad was deep into Achewood, so I totally get that he can't get back into making comics if it reminds him of his alcoholism. I hope he's happy sober even if it means no more comics ever.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
"Only one dude I know drives around with a bucket of Colonel and a pint of dippin' gravy."

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

"Only one dude I know drives around with a bucket of Colonel and a pint of dippin' gravy."

The dudes lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

The dudes lifestyle is to diabetes what a nail is to a hammer.

POSTMASTER: FIND THIS MAN

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Deathlove posted:

POSTMASTER: FIND THIS MAN

Can diabetes do this?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That is the angriest a person can get :hai:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I think I am developing a thing for corpulent women.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I regret that I'm not fond of eggplant so I'm never gonna get to ask where all of the assholes are who are not eating it

E: my moussaka, that is

All with that sauce

Phy fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 19, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Johnny Aztec posted:

I think I am developing a thing for corpulent women.

How do you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!