Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've never actually seen any sci-fi work acknowledge the ways that we observe objects in space in the real world. Nobody uses telescopes (visual or radio) it's always some obscure sensors that can detect things like weapons powering up and "lifesigns" whatever that means.

Most sci fi works with space combat wind up either having heavily fictionalized science or entirely fictional logistics, so you can contort basically any scenario into being "realistic" although some explanations involve a lot more reaching than others. So far, nothing will be truly realistic until enough people put enough stuff into space to staging fights with them, although I imagine the first space combat will either be corporate sabotage or a couple angry astronauts flailing at eachother.

Not space-combat but Blindsight does a good job of this, from memory. Not 100% super hard sci-fi, but pretty decent. Also free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Saint Celestine posted:

that only works for things with defined, known orbits. How the hell are you going to target a hypothetical fleet from light years away? A planet, sure. Anything smaller then that, good luck even with handwavey magic tech.

There absolutely is hiding in space. if you know where the telescope is, you can absolutely hide from it. Also its insanely difficult to spot planets from light years away, let alone something orders of magnitude smaller, and possibly with stealth in one of the EM wavelengths.

The relevant EM wavelength is infrared. Picking out warm things against a 3K background is pretty easy. WISE has picked up -50C objects at a range of over 7 light years.

Geisladisk posted:

It's hard to spot things in space, it's relatively easy to track them once spotted - things in space, even things doing insane double digit G acceleration, move predictably. Once a craft is spotted you would absolutely be able to track it indefinitely.

Things doing insane double digit G acceleration are going to be trivially easy to spot.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Hot drat hard sci-fi looks boring as poo poo. Like modern ship battles, but your AShM is an "autonomous projectile" that can move at almost light speed and any ship that gets hit is even more hosed. CIWS isn't even invited anymore and steely eyed Superbug pilots are replaced by drones that have almost as much personality as the space missiles they have.

It was terrible when they applied this to infantry in the one culture novel I read: your suit and gun fight for you, you're just in there for the ride.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We made our annual trip to the local Renaissance Festival this weekend, which for me means drinking a lot of beer and having at least one turkey leg and then ogling my scantily clad wife. I never really paid much attention to the outfits in the years before this one, but I did this year, and doing so got me wondering what exactly the background is for this kind of thing. People seemed to choose one of four areas: Viking, fantasy/elf/etc, late medieval/early-early modern, and pirate. Population seemed to be spread equally between the four.

Where does this mix of stuff come from? Like, how did we end up choosing these three historical periods to recreate, of sorts? Has there ever been any worthwhile study on it? Why people gravitate to these three periods and places and so on? Also, why do they all speak with English accents?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JcDent posted:

Hot drat hard sci-fi looks boring as poo poo. Like modern ship battles, but your AShM is an "autonomous projectile" that can move at almost light speed and any ship that gets hit is even more hosed. CIWS isn't even invited anymore and steely eyed Superbug pilots are replaced by drones that have almost as much personality as the space missiles they have.

It was terrible when they applied this to infantry in the one culture novel I read: your suit and gun fight for you, you're just in there for the ride.

Yeah that's why they fudge it even in the hardest sci fi show ever made, the Expanse. Because space combat isn't dramatic without dudes flying space fighters or other dudes standing on bridges calling out attack patterns and maneuvers.

Probably even irl military ops are inconceivably boring and not anything like on TV/movies I ASSUME as a mere civilian.

bewbies posted:

We made our annual trip to the local Renaissance Festival this weekend, which for me means drinking a lot of beer and having at least one turkey leg and then ogling my scantily clad wife. I never really paid much attention to the outfits in the years before this one, but I did this year, and doing so got me wondering what exactly the background is for this kind of thing. People seemed to choose one of four areas: Viking, fantasy/elf/etc, late medieval/early-early modern, and pirate. Population seemed to be spread equally between the four.

Where does this mix of stuff come from? Like, how did we end up choosing these three historical periods to recreate, of sorts? Has there ever been any worthwhile study on it? Why people gravitate to these three periods and places and so on? Also, why do they all speak with English accents?

Is it too simple to argue that those are just genres with absurd amounts of media devoted to them?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

JcDent posted:

I haven't seen the full movie but the recent robocop movie handled this just a bit. There is a clip where the doctor is explaining that the guy thinks he has control, but the software is doing everything for him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

There is a clip where the doctor is explaining that the guy thinks he has control, but the software is doing everything for him.

Ah you mean just like actual human beings in their day to day lives

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

Ah you mean just like actual human beings in their day to day lives

Hey, I'M CHOOSING TO TYPE THIS TERRIBLE POST RIGHT NOW. IT'S MY DECISION.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Us building systems that start dwarfing and overtaking us is kinda the cool bit about hard sci fi, it's not the place for generic fighter pilot drama

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

bewbies posted:

To be fair, between the non-fantastic eras, that's a pretty substantial time span. Is there some era you would expect to see that isn't among those.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Geisladisk posted:

It's hard to spot things in space, it's relatively easy to track them once spotted - things in space, even things doing insane double digit G acceleration, move predictably. Once a craft is spotted you would absolutely be able to track it indefinitely.

And hostile ships wouldn't emerge from unpredictable places, the enemy will have a finite number of bases, shipyards, planets, whatever, where ships could come from.

It'd be real drat hard to keep a ship hidden from an enemy at less than interstellar distances.

You couldn't engage them from light years away, but as they get closer the envelope of possibility of where they will be in the future shrinks, and eventually you start dumping autonomous projectiles into where they probably will be, and they will start doing wacky maneuvers to throw those estimates off.

How much has technology advanced in your mind for this to be feasible?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What happens when I start dumping autonomous projectiles programmed to find and defeat the other autonomous projectiles? Aha! While you're sitting there staring at your screen erupting in complex Game of Life patterns and meditating on the anonymity of industrial war, I'll sneak into your airlock and unfold my space pike!

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Excuse me, I have a question. Once you have the capability to accelerate multi-ton projectiles to an appreciable fraction of the speed of light, why are you doing fights between spaceships? If someone is pissing you off get a big old lump of rock, put it at 0.99c and crack their loving planet in half.

Then of course they'll try to do the same so you need a way of stopping big fast rocks, like other big fast rocks from a carefully calculated angle.

Then they'll do the same thing so now your rock needs to be able to dodge.

Basically a future space war is going to look like the slowest, highest stakes game of Pong ever played.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
How does all of this calculus change if you're trying to recover something or someone intact from a hostile (ship, satellite, station, delete as appropriate)?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

FrangibleCover posted:

Excuse me, I have a question. Once you have the capability to accelerate multi-ton projectiles to an appreciable fraction of the speed of light, why are you doing fights between spaceships? If someone is pissing you off get a big old lump of rock, put it at 0.99c and crack their loving planet in half.

Then of course they'll try to do the same so you need a way of stopping big fast rocks, like other big fast rocks from a carefully calculated angle.

Basically a future space war is going to look like the slowest, highest stakes game of Pong ever played.

Why do the rest of the armed forces exist when we have nukes? Same logic applies. Well it would if space wasn't cold and empty and worthless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FrangibleCover posted:

THen we will simply invade the bugs homeworld and easily defeat them

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

FrangibleCover posted:

I think if you accept the premise there, what would inevitably happen is that all the advanced space civilisations decamp to live on spaceships full-time.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

aphid_licker posted:

Us building systems that start dwarfing and overtaking us is kinda the cool bit about hard sci fi, it's not the place for generic fighter pilot drama

You can replace it with generic office drama, but instead of terrible software or whatever they all fly space fighters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

You can replace it with generic office drama, but instead of terrible software or whatever they all fly space fighters.

A drama about...the F-35 :smug::hf::agesilaus:

Speaking of boondoggles

https://twitter.com/AaronMehta/status/1173578528014684161

Wouldn't that be ambitious under like WW II design-and-build standards

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

A drama about...the F-35 :smug::hf::agesilaus:

Speaking of boondoggles

https://twitter.com/AaronMehta/status/1173578528014684161

Wouldn't that be ambitious under like WW II design-and-build standards

Under WWII standards? Not really. gently caress, or even early cold war. The time frame between the P-36, P-38, P-39, P-40, P-47, and P-51 isn't exactly huge, not to mention how quickly some of those went from prototype to production to a B/C/D model. Those are just the production aircraft too, you've got a fair number of failed designs to account for also. Now look at how quickly we were iterating and putting new aircraft into service in the 50s and 60s. Way, way, way less than 5 years between accepted designs.

Now, can you do that with a modern jet that you want all the bells and whistles on? No idea. I suspect how much money you're throwing at it and how acceptable it is to have failed designs is a big part of that equation. Obviously designing a 6th gen fighter is a bit more complex than a P-51, but there's a solid argument to be made that you don't need multiple decades to work it out.

The important take away isn't necessarily the specific number of years or the breathless reporting, it's the move away from a single too-important-to-fail design that's concurrently developing a dozen new technologies and a move back towards iterative designs with an understanding that if one is a dog you learn from it and move on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Under WWII standards? Not really. gently caress, or even early cold war. The time frame between the P-36, P-38, P-39, P-40, P-47, and P-51 isn't exactly huge, not to mention how quickly some of those went from prototype to production to a B/C/D model. Those are just the production aircraft too, you've got a fair number of failed designs to account for also. Now look at how quickly we were iterating and putting new aircraft into service in the 50s and 60s. Way, way, way less than 5 years between accepted designs.

Now, can you do that with a modern jet that you want all the bells and whistles on? No idea. I suspect how much money you're throwing at it and how acceptable it is to have failed designs is a big part of that equation. Obviously designing a 6th gen fighter is a bit more complex than a P-51, but there's a solid argument to be made that you don't need multiple decades to work it out.

The important take away isn't necessarily the specific number of years or the breathless reporting, it's the move away from a single too-important-to-fail design that's concurrently developing a dozen new technologies and a move back towards iterative designs with an understanding that if one is a dog you learn from it and move on.

So, more mission-specialized aircraft rather than the current Swiss Army Planes.

Is there a world where this is cheaper than the current aircraft development and procurement process?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
One thing to keep in mind is that these ideas of what space combat would be like are supremely spherical cows and the reality would be very heavily dependent on various assumptions, technological, strategic and otherwise. Trying to say what space combat would be like is a bit like trying to say what terrestrial combat is like without specifying if we're talking pike squares or tanks in the Fulda Gap. That said, there's some basic commonalities - like pike squares and tanks both have to cope with terrain - but they're very general things that don't say all that much.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Elukka posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that these ideas of what space combat would be like are supremely spherical cows and the reality would be very heavily dependent on various assumptions, technological, strategic and otherwise. Trying to say what space combat would be like is a bit like trying to say what terrestrial combat is like without specifying if we're talking pike squares or tanks in the Fulda Gap. That said, there's some basic commonalities - like pike squares and tanks both have to cope with terrain - but they're very general things that don't say all that much.

Simple: the pike sphere

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Elukka posted:

Tank Square. 40 tanks moving so close the tread guards touch, guns pointed every which way. Rear files of tanks are driving backwards, panning their turrets around frantically. Combat is closing to point blank and attempting to parry the other tank's guns by swiping them with yours. The side with the stronger rack-and-pinion linkages emerges victorious

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

Tank Square. 40 tanks moving so close the tread guards touch, guns pointed every which way. Rear files of tanks are driving backwards, panning their turrets around frantically. Combat is closing to point blank and attempting to parry the other tank's guns by swiping them with yours. The side with the stronger rack-and-pinion linkages emerges victorious

I see that you, also, have played Flames of War.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

I mean, I speak with an English accent because I'm English.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

Also, why do they all speak with English accents?

Men in Tights is a better movie than Prince of Thieves.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

FrangibleCover posted:

Yeah, pretty much space combat is what you get after you've run out of easier (read: unable-to-maneuver) targets, which includes planets and space stations. It's distressingly easy to create clouds of high-energy dumb projectiles that are basically impossible to detect (they don't maneuver) or deflect. A spaceship can dodge that kind of threat by making tiny maneuvering adjustments that, over the course of a few hours, move it thousands of kilometers off of its original path. Similar to how convoys zigzagged to dodge torpedoes in WW2. You can't really do that with a city though.

Davin Valkri posted:

How does all of this calculus change if you're trying to recover something or someone intact from a hostile (ship, satellite, station, delete as appropriate)?

Hackers and infiltration teams, or you try to starve them out. Even today you don't generally try to capture something by going in hot. It's a lot easier to just convince the enemy to leave of their own accord and move in afterwards.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

bewbies posted:

I'm not sure where it comes from, or why the accent, but I can tell you the audience varies between serious historians and reenactors, and people who want to have costumed fun or roleplay.

I don't think anyone's ever done a serious historical study of it though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

So, more mission-specialized aircraft rather than the current Swiss Army Planes.

Is there a world where this is cheaper than the current aircraft development and procurement process?

Possibly? That's a giant question mark and really has more to do with the current model where a multi-decade project is underwritten on what might as well be a cost plus basis.

One of the things to remember is that a huge part of the giant sticker price you see with current aircraft models is the cost of all the R&D divided by relatively small numbers of planes. The B2 is a great example of this. Everyone always points to them as costing $2Billion per aircraft, but that's including a massive R&D process that yielded only 21 aircraft. The order was slashed once the USSR fell apart. I forget what the original number of aircraft was supposed to be, but IIRC it was low three figures. During the Clinton administration there was a proposal to build an additional 20 and the fly away cost of those new aircraft would have been about $500 million each. It was still a ruinously expensive airplane, but that's a lot more in line with what modern aircraft cost. To put things in perspective, an F-15, a relatively mature design produced in large numbers by that point, cost about $25 million in the late 90s.

Now, if you're getting a new design every few years does that mean R&D costs just eat everyone's budget and we get a handful of new $2 billion aircraft every 5 years, or does it mean R&D is lower and we get a trickle of cheaper, less revolutionary designs that we can afford to pull the plug on if one is a lemon? Again, giant question mark and entirely dependent on how it gets run. If you're doing a more iterative approach and not spooling up fifteen ground breaking technologies with every new airframe then R&D could be a lot less. Like, maybe your fancy off-axis targeting system is the new hotness on the 2010 model, the 2015 model adds on the new high tech radar-absorbing paint, the 2020 model has new super-cruise engines, 2025 some crazy new avionics system, and then by 2030 you're looking at upgrading the by now old targeting system to some sci fi holographic poo poo. Meanwhile tweaks are being made to airframe geometry, radar cross section, etc. the whole way down. Think more like how car design is iterative - a 1990 Honda looks nothing like a 2019 Honda, but there's no single year that just flat out changes everything.

Which is a lot of words to say no one really knows, but the fact that it's being floated is more of an indictment to the way the process works currently than a solid plan for the future.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Uncle Enzo posted:

At this point why not have a Bolo with a fascination with ancient combat screaming "duel me cowards" at bewildered tank crews? Or a possessed Baneblade.

Polyseme fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 16, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Possibly? That's a giant question mark and really has more to do with the current model where a multi-decade project is underwritten on what might as well be a cost plus basis.

One of the things to remember is that a huge part of the giant sticker price you see with current aircraft models is the cost of all the R&D divided by relatively small numbers of planes. The B2 is a great example of this. Everyone always points to them as costing $2Billion per aircraft, but that's including a massive R&D process that yielded only 21 aircraft. The order was slashed once the USSR fell apart. I forget what the original number of aircraft was supposed to be, but IIRC it was low three figures. During the Clinton administration there was a proposal to build an additional 20 and the fly away cost of those new aircraft would have been about $500 million each. It was still a ruinously expensive airplane, but that's a lot more in line with what modern aircraft cost. To put things in perspective, an F-15, a relatively mature design produced in large numbers by that point, cost about $25 million in the late 90s.

Now, if you're getting a new design every few years does that mean R&D costs just eat everyone's budget and we get a handful of new $2 billion aircraft every 5 years, or does it mean R&D is lower and we get a trickle of cheaper, less revolutionary designs that we can afford to pull the plug on if one is a lemon? Again, giant question mark and entirely dependent on how it gets run. If you're doing a more iterative approach and not spooling up fifteen ground breaking technologies with every new airframe then R&D could be a lot less. Like, maybe your fancy off-axis targeting system is the new hotness on the 2010 model, the 2015 model adds on the new high tech radar-absorbing paint, the 2020 model has new super-cruise engines, 2025 some crazy new avionics system, and then by 2030 you're looking at upgrading the by now old targeting system to some sci fi holographic poo poo. Meanwhile tweaks are being made to airframe geometry, radar cross section, etc. the whole way down. Think more like how car design is iterative - a 1990 Honda looks nothing like a 2019 Honda, but there's no single year that just flat out changes everything.

Which is a lot of words to say no one really knows, but the fact that it's being floated is more of an indictment to the way the process works currently than a solid plan for the future.

What block are F-16s on now

I've heard, but one hears so many things on line, that the F-16 was designed primarily as an air superiority fighter but has turned out to be the best multirole fighter in the USAF. Seems like getting an actual good multirole fighter is just designing a good plane rather than try to design it to do a lot from the outset (F-111; f-35, others?)

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 16, 2019

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cyrano4747 posted:

Now I'm picturing Tim Cook bringing out Kelly Johnson to introduce this year's model.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Now I'm picturing Tim Cook bringing out Kelly Johnson to introduce this year's model.

Do F22s have headphone jacks

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

zoux posted:

Do F22s have headphone jacks

Yes, but they're the same ones used in the Space Shuttles, which are the only remaining sources of those jacks left on the planet.

Elukka posted:

Phanatic posted:

Things doing insane double digit G acceleration are going to be trivially easy to spot.

Space warfare, but at extremely sub-light year speeds where wars are conducted by self-sustaining colony ships over a period of thousands and thousands of years.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Back from a small hiatus, its more German containers! We get to see a rather descriptive passage of the AB 250-1 container, as well as an interesting look at the mechanisms for the AB 70-3's deployment. There's also a cluster munition that is deemed unsafe for landing and should always be dropped or jettisoned before returning home. Everything else and more at the blog!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zoux posted:

Simple: the pike sphere
there is zero-g air combat in Milton. pike cubes

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Casaba howitzers for all. :colbert:

briefly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That's more like an orbital plasma lance than an intrastellar or interstellar weapon, though. Nowhere near enough coherence to be useful at long range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's more like an orbital plasma lance than an intrastellar or interstellar weapon, though. Nowhere near enough coherence to be useful at long range.

Nicoll-Dyson laser, then.

(Use your Dyson swarm as a phased-array emitter, vaporize planets in other galaxies.)