Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Everyone's reactions to Logan hitting Roman were so on point for a family that would've grown up with that kind of abuse. Despite spending a season and a half wanting to see Roman get slapped across his annoying little face, that sure didn't feel good! Yikes, dark stuff. Good thing Tom and Greg's misadventures were still hilarious. This season is killing it

ricro fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Doesn't Shiv know how hosed up poo poo actually is at cruises per a conversation she had with Tom season 1 about him basically being a sin eater? She doesn't know the details but she knows it's way worse

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Also Kendall is by far the most competent of the kids - probably because he's actually worked for the company. He had the best response to the cruises story, he stood up for Roman, made the Pierce deal happen (or at least move forward) and he's made good business decisions throughout. Logan also relies on him the most yet will continue to gently caress him over.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Kendall is becoming Logan, that's what the opening scene was about. That's why he's still the most "competent" in terms of ruthlessly running the business and is likely still the heir in Logan's mind.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Mods please change my name to the Airbus Culture Hike

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

rear end cobra posted:

Mods please change my name to the Airbus Culture Hike

I’m here for the Gerri and Roman ploy for control.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

HanabaL03 posted:

I’m here for the Gerri and Roman ploy for control.

Seriously. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite storylines because it's such a perfect odd couple matchup.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I love the fact that Logan has to ask if Marcia will have his back, basically forgetting that she helped him cover up a homicide like a few weeks ago. It seems like Kendall's situation barely registers in Logan's mind now that he views it as under control.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

wtf that wasn't a homicide

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Homicide is when a person kills another person, even if they didn't mean to. Kendall killed that guy through his recklessness.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

El Jeffe posted:

Homicide is when a person kills another person, even if they didn't mean to. Kendall killed that guy through his recklessness.

The guy that grabbed the wheel and drove them into the lake? I don't think so

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

El Jeffe posted:

Do you mean manslaughter?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Also Kendall is by far the most competent of the kids - probably because he's actually worked for the company. He had the best response to the cruises story

Given that Logan took his advice and it made the magazine post the story online earlier, probably not really on this one.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm on team Roman honestly

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

The guy that grabbed the wheel and drove them into the lake? I don't think so

He only grabbed the wheel because Kendall was driving high and distracted and therefore didn't see the deer in time to stop.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Do you mean manslaughter?

Manslaughter is a form of homicide, yes.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

actually you're right and I retract my post
but even so hearing it described as a "homicide" was/is very jarring to me

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Doctor Jeep posted:

actually you're right and I retract my post
but even so hearing it described as a "homicide" was/is very jarring to me
Haha I don't blame you, I was trying to phrase that post and was like "wait.... what did Kendall actually do??"

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

has there been another black person with speaking lines on this show besides the comedian

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

double negative posted:

has there been another black person with speaking lines on this show besides the comedian

no, they're trying to keep it realistic

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

it's a genuine question, because if he really is the only one, i appreciate the attention to detail

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

double negative posted:

it's a genuine question, because if he really is the only one, i appreciate the attention to detail

One of Kendalls guys in the company is black and def had at least a couple of lines.

e: Also his assistant maybe??

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 17, 2019

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Stale, pale, and male.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
plz rename thread Succession: We Here For You

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

El Jeffe posted:

He only grabbed the wheel because Kendall was driving high and distracted and therefore didn't see the deer in time to stop.

Manslaughter is a form of homicide, yes.

You drive into that deer and you live. Kendall was reckless but it's the waiters fault that he's dead

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

abraham linksys posted:

plz rename thread Succession: We Here For You

:same:

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I thought they were saying that it was 'We hear for you', which is still a really stupid play on words.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
it's kind of lol that the stakes of this struggle are logan keeping the company and driving it into the ground vs getting it bought and everyone cashing out for billions.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Acinonyx posted:

I thought they were saying that it was 'We hear for you', which is still a really stupid play on words.

That's the great part of the scene then payoff after Tom's speech - they were saying the stupid play-on-words you were referring to, but someone in Marketing or whatever made it even worse and more nonsensical with the "We Here For You."

fake edit: I went back and watched the part with closed captions where they're talking through it around the 20 min point and it was "We Hear For You," then they made a point to pan to the TV showing it spelled incorrectly.

It reminds me of some recent commercials that have been so cringeworthy where companies and their CMOs try to be hip - I can't think of the others off the top of my head but here's one
https://www.adweek.com/creativity/we-ready-chant-builds-to-a-dramatic-crescendo-as-the-nfl-kicks-off-its-100th-season/

NFL CMO Tim Ellis posted:

'We Ready’ is another step forward in our ongoing strategy to bring a more human, youthful energy into the game of football. With a sense of authenticity and raw emotion, this is a helmets off, dynamic portrayal of football through the eyes of players and fans.'

I will say I would probably be interested in watched "Frat Baby 2" from Wayco mentioned in this episode.

Also Gregory's line to Tom while he's on his culture hike about "listening quite aggressively" and Tom's "oh fuuuck" cracked me up. "Big fan of all you..all your money" was pretty good, too.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 18, 2019

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

No Wave posted:

it's kind of lol that the stakes of this struggle are logan keeping the company and driving it into the ground vs getting it bought and everyone cashing out for billions.

Rich white people don't lose. The game isn't even rigged, it's just flat out openly the rules.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

No Wave posted:

Yep that’s the cruel joke of the show. For as life or death as the characters make things seem, they’re all going to be perfectly fine. Except maybe Kendall, it seems like there’s a battle for his soul happening inside him and he’s in danger of not surviving it. I do appreciate that this show doesn’t try to take the “rich people, they’re just like us!” route. That kind of extreme wealth is a poison that turns people into hosed up ghouls more often than not.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm only on episode 9 s1 but this show is amazing. I love how Tom doesn't kiss Shiv on the mouth after he gets back from the bachelor party.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Mameluke posted:

I'm on team Roman honestly

He's putting himself in the best position possible teaming up with Geri. I imagine Logan will be dead before ever naming a real successor so the show can have everyone with the knives out for each other without daddy around to pick favorites. As cruel as he is, he'll be nothing compared to the sharks once there's blood in the water.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

CubanMissile posted:

He's putting himself in the best position possible teaming up with Geri. I imagine Logan will be dead before ever naming a real successor so the show can have everyone with the knives out for each other without daddy around to pick favorites. As cruel as he is, he'll be nothing compared to the sharks once there's blood in the water.

So just out of curiosity, but these "papers" that keep coming up, do they have any actual legal power? Like, if Logan has another stroke or just dies without changing anything, does Gerri actually become CEO? I presume that Logan assumes he'll just change it later but what if later never comes?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

So just out of curiosity, but these "papers" that keep coming up, do they have any actual legal power? Like, if Logan has another stroke or just dies without changing anything, does Gerri actually become CEO? I presume that Logan assumes he'll just change it later but what if later never comes?

Oh absolutely. I mean, litigation will happen instantly, but for all the talk about having her as just a figurehead, the paperwork is the paperwork. So long as the paperwork was done correctly, they are valid unless a court rules otherwise. And we have no reason to think the paperwork wasn't done correctly. If they aren't changed before Logan kicks it, Geri will be CEO for a non-zero period of time, even if the kids end up prevailing in court. And that's assuming the kids don't sue the poo poo out of each other along with every other party in a legal shitstorm.

This is also why Roman is actually in the best/worst position right now with his team up with Gerri, even if he doesn't seem to get all of the implications. He's technically closest to the throne if we assume Gerri is much less mercurial than Logan and Logan doesn't actually name an heir before he dies, but I'm not quite sure he understands that in such a situation, he would actually end up being on team Gerri. Hell, there's a part of me that thinks that Gerri's the real mastermind in this game and this is all going according to plan.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Gerri doesnt strike me as someone who would enjoy being CEO. She's more a silvio type.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

No Wave posted:

Gerri doesnt strike me as someone who would enjoy being CEO. She's more a silvio type.

Don't think Gerri thought of herself as a CEO either, until Roman made the team up offer. I think she'll warm up to the idea real quick if her partnership with Roman really starts to bear fruit.

In terms of the writer's room, you're absolutely right, she is definitely a character that prefers to be the power behind the throne, but the character was also originally written as a male part and her relationship with Roman wasn't planned until they saw the friendship the actors had with each other, so who knows what'll happen in the future.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Rhea is gonna gently caress the Pierce family so bad. They're gonna miss not getting that 25 billion.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

CubanMissile posted:

Rhea is gonna gently caress the Pierce family so bad. They're gonna miss not getting that 25 billion.

Good. Seeing Ivory tower liberals get owned because of decorum is awesome.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Matt Zerella posted:

Good. Seeing Ivory tower liberals get owned because of decorum is awesome.

Hot take - the Peirce's are actually worse than the Roys because they try to cloak themselves in bullshit :decorum: and that they're above it all but they're all phonies and failsons, at least the Roys own their terribleness.

Nan telling the maid in Tern Haven to take a break in front of the guests which I'm guessing that's never happened before and she's just doing it in front of an audience and the maid declining knowing that she needed to finish the turkey and meal, only for Nan to take credit, seems to encapsulate it.

Also an East Coast dynasty billionaire trying to sound folksy and like the common people with phrases like "bull potatoes" is really irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Agreed. gently caress Pierce. But still, at least they run a news company that isn't Fox.