Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Found something interesting this last run, if you defeat the monk before Genichiro, later when the sun starts to set the phantoms that spawn are Mibu villagers instead of Ashina samurai. They spawn in larger numbers and have grabs that are one hit kills. Fun stuff!

Dr Christmas posted:

I made a few trips back to the Divine Child for rice and dipped into my reserves of Divine Grass and Jizo statues. I even used the two unique ones from Jinzaemon when I thought I could get it.

Haha same, I hate the first phase of SSI, so that plus fire was just.... ugh.
I think I powered through it, if not the first, then the second time I got to the third phase.
Never got hit by his throw, because after dying to Emma a ton, I got that tell down.
I really liked the Emma fight, kind of a shame she wasn't the big boss, she certainly killed me more than Isshin ever has....

Overall the Shura ending was kinda underwhelming. Though it is funny that owl apparently offs Genichiro while you're fighting Emma and Isshin. And his bulging eyes of terror when he realizes what Sekiro has become is pretty good.

Now I only need to get the bog standard ending and I'll have platinum, going back to NG for that, kinda forgetting what this game is like when you're weak and unarmed.
:dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Really would have liked a SOTC-style curveball ending for Shura

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Anybody here using the Boss Rush mod?

I never managed to beat Demon of Hatred in my first playthrough, and i'm pretty much having the same result here. I think the unblockable rush he does when you're standing toe to toe with him is such a bullshit move with the time you have to avoid it, and his constantly running away so he can do his devastating attacks is seriously pissing me off.

Luckily I have one more bulging coin purse on me so I'm thinking i should use it to upgrade the umbrella to fire resist. Mechanically I think the Boss Rush is supposed to be a frustrating retread of the curve you have to master in the game because you only get money once from the bosses, and that's needed to purchase gourd seeds and beads.

wyoming posted:

Found something interesting this last run, if you defeat the monk before Genichiro, later when the sun starts to set the phantoms that spawn are Mibu villagers instead of Ashina samurai. They spawn in larger numbers and have grabs that are one hit kills. Fun stuff!

Wait a minute. How exactly does the next sequence of events work? In a normal playthrough, Killing the monk and retrieving the stone after you took down Genichiro kickstarts the shinobi invasion and OWL shows up, pretty much resetting all the Idols in the castle.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Dr Christmas posted:

Then I had my first wipe of the run to the Chained Ogre.
An NG+ tradition

Fargin Icehole posted:

Wait a minute. How exactly does the next sequence of events work? In a normal playthrough, Killing the monk and retrieving the stone after you took down Genichiro kickstarts the shinobi invasion and OWL shows up, pretty much resetting all the Idols in the castle.
you need the stone, flower, and mortal blade for that to happen. You can't get the flower until you beat Genichiro so it won't happen until later.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Fargin Icehole posted:

Anybody here using the Boss Rush mod?

I never managed to beat Demon of Hatred in my first playthrough, and i'm pretty much having the same result here. I think the unblockable rush he does when you're standing toe to toe with him is such a bullshit move with the time you have to avoid it, and his constantly running away so he can do his devastating attacks is seriously pissing me off.

Is this move that counts as a sweep even though it's a rush, so you can just jump and it'll miss even if it clips through you?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

There is nothing stopping you from killing the monk straight after arriving in Ashina. Only a couple minibosses stand in your way, no full roadblocks like for the mortal blade and flower.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Hackan Slash posted:

Is this move that counts as a sweep even though it's a rush, so you can just jump and it'll miss even if it clips through you?

Its a sweep.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hackan Slash posted:

Yeah, it's a sweep. As long as you jump, it can't hit you, even if there's a big ol' demon barreling right through your face. :v:

I think that's the most egregious instance of a perilous attack not clearly being readable as sweep or stab...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I had the most luck with the Demon of Hatred just rushing right under his feet and making sure not to spam attacks so hard that I miss countering his stomps. I always would get hit when he did his headbutt groundpound attack, but he doesn’t seem to do it that much. I also had trouble dealing with that fire con attack that you can grapple over that he does from phase 2 onwards. I was always too far to grapple.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's probably some way to cheese it, but I handled that fight by being extremely aggressive and never letting him maintain distance. If he dashed away, I was already sprinting after him. I used the umbrella solely to block his huge flame whip attack thing in the later phases, I'm not sure if that's dodgable otherwise?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

victrix posted:

There's probably some way to cheese it, but I handled that fight by being extremely aggressive and never letting him maintain distance. If he dashed away, I was already sprinting after him. I used the umbrella solely to block his huge flame whip attack thing in the later phases, I'm not sure if that's dodgable otherwise?

The big forward slap? Run sideways (not diagonally) and jump, then grapple towards him when you see the indicator. The spinning whip attack in his third phase is a sweep, but remember to jump twice. This video of one of my fights with him shows the most efficient counter I found to all his attacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzivzPiD_o0

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Demon of Hatred owns.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Took down the Demon of Hatred. I like how the Boss Rush mod takes you straight to the credits once you finish with the last boss in the rush and then the prompt to if you want to go to NG+ or not.

I'm not sure how this would be even possible, but the cool thing and also disorienting thing about the boss rush mod is that the day to night time triggers based on what bosses you fight (Corrupted monk should trigger about sunset, and the dragon triggers the night time). You can do boss replays and fight Genichiro at night time and poo poo, it's nice.

It's cool because If i remember right, the commercials showing off this game had your character fighting Genichiro around sunset

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Just fought clowned on the second chained ogre. Felt good. The grab was still broken, made all the more obvious by him teleport-grabbing though the pillars.

I have a theory that it is actually bugged. I don’t think it’s that the hit box for the grab is way to big but the time the game checks collision with the hit box is. Seems like the hit-detection check is too soon into the grab animation (e.g. someone accidentally programmed the collision detection to occur 0.2 seconds into the grab animation rather than 0.2 seconds from the end).

Also the first time I fought the guardian ape (and lost) I hated it and by the time I beat it and then beat headless ape 2.0 on the first try I loved it. Probably my second favorite boss fight so far after Genichiro.

Also whoever said to me the dodge is actually good for some enemies and not just a trap several paws ago was right. I’m clearing out the lone shadow minibosses before fighting Owl and the dodging to their side just wrecks them when you time it right. This game is probably the closest to a single player fighting game since Ninja Gaiden on the original XBox.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

lol I am on my fifth consecutive play through just grinding skill points for my last achievement, and decided to do a late game dive into the Hirata Estate. Went up to the pagoda where the Mist Raven prosthetic is and discovered that the mook ministry shinobi guarding the pagoda isn’t even a miniboss. I remember him being so goddamn awful on my first play through, but here we are four NG+s later and he was never worth giving a name.

I love this game.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I remember when the Nightjar were terrifying.

I've cleared the way up to Owl on my fourth game and first charmless run. I still have 10 more skill points to go for the achievement. O-rin of the water is scary as hell without the charm, as is being close to the Guardian Ape. Snake Eyes Shirahagi is still my miniboss nemesis.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

I remember when the Nightjar were terrifying.

I've cleared the way up to Owl on my fourth game and first charmless run. I still have 10 more skill points to go for the achievement. O-rin of the water is scary as hell without the charm, as is being close to the Guardian Ape. Snake Eyes Shirahagi is still my miniboss nemesis.

You can cheat and put up the umbrella when she goes for the grab / gunshot

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Jump her grab!

She's still the hardest miniboss in the game though. My NG Kuro's charm run made her especially brutal - and to make it worse against the gunfort one I managed to get her down to almost dead multiple times and then she fell off the rock which doesn't count as killing her. Absolutely miserable.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
NG charmless has been pretty wild, I decided to give Genichiro a legit fight, and immediately lost because I forgot I didn't have Mikiri counter yet. :thumbsup:
I then proceeded to pretty much get my rear end kicked by the first enemy I came across in the outskirts, it's rough being so weak!
I eventually got a hang of it and one shot bosses like Butterfly and Genichiro for the first time.
Completely forgot how to fight dad due to getting the Shura ending (I mean, that explains it as much as anything else), and died a few times to both of his fights, though once in the groove, I can get to the second phase, completely unharmed.
Other than dad the boss I had the most trouble with this time around... was Vilehand? No idea what was going on there.
I did get that annoying glitch where he disappears in the other room and then respawns at full health though.

So a technique I never really used until this run, that I now love a lot, is the project force with the finger.
Like, bringing an enemy to you is sometimes helpful, but you can usually hit them with pottery, this is great for getting every enemy to turn their backs to you, or setting off a whole group of animals without them noticing you.
It's also just fun to hit a sound, with your sword, to project it at things.

Only have the Demon and final boss left now, well really only the final boss to get platinum.

Also this happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-jgzwiH8QA

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
For anyone who's new to the game and scared of the Nightjars, use fire. Those big cloaks of feathers end up looking a whole lot less sensible all of a sudden.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The nightjars are so much less scary than the purple ministry ninjas, those guys are total bastards. Nightjars are only a threat in groups, their guard is so weak you can just batter them down with R1s if you’re not being attacked by another one.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m coming up on the end of my charmless run. I only need 4 more skill points for the achievement, and I have Past Owl, the Divine Dragon, and the guys after left to do. I could do the Dragon easy and have an attack bump for Great Shinobi, but I’m saving him so I don’t lock myself out of any castle stuff that I might remember. I think I’m just going skip every Headless and Shichimen though.

Great Shinobi Owl gave me a bunch of trouble, I ended up using a sweet rice ball and a Jizo statue. Do you only get the four rice balls each play through? I used two trying to trigger dialogue with Kuro. It took my spirit emblem stores from 700-some to 500-some. He used firecrackers way more often than on previous games, often at the end of a combo that pushes you back when you deflect. What’s the best way to deal with that? The best I could come up with was to already be running away when he throws them.

How do I get Wolf to recognize the identity of the Demon of Hatred? Have all 12 sake conversations, or is there something else?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I used mist raven to beat the firecrackers but it took me all 9 usages on NG, idk if it would be enough on your NG. Umbrella might be better, you can theoretically dodge forward to get theough the attack but i couldnt manage to do it consistently given how cornered you are whenever he crackers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m coming up on the end of my charmless run. I only need 4 more skill points for the achievement, and I have Past Owl, the Divine Dragon, and the guys after left to do. I could do the Dragon easy and have an attack bump for Great Shinobi, but I’m saving him so I don’t lock myself out of any castle stuff that I might remember. I think I’m just going skip every Headless and Shichimen though.

Great Shinobi Owl gave me a bunch of trouble, I ended up using a sweet rice ball and a Jizo statue. Do you only get the four rice balls each play through? I used two trying to trigger dialogue with Kuro. It took my spirit emblem stores from 700-some to 500-some. He used firecrackers way more often than on previous games, often at the end of a combo that pushes you back when you deflect. What’s the best way to deal with that? The best I could come up with was to already be running away when he throws them.

How do I get Wolf to recognize the identity of the Demon of Hatred? Have all 12 sake conversations, or is there something else?

You get Fine Snow from the Divine Child after completing her questline, which is the ultimate rice item. You can only have one at any time, but you can go back to her for more once you've eaten it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr Christmas posted:

for this one you have to catch all the eavesdropping conversations on the sculptor from the hole at the back of the shrine. it proves kind of tricky for most people because they don't even twig onto the fact that they can eavesdrop on npcs, much less on the sculptor from that one specific spot, until later in the game when they need to start doing so for one of the endings. in addition, it can be easy to miss some of the eavesdrops because they only show up for temporary story beats that can be shot past accidentally if you're cranking along progression wise and not obsessively heading back to the shrine to check for new ones.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 26, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The pushback firecracker combo can be countered by walking towards him after the push and then dodging

https://youtu.be/pyUKtlUimFk

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cowcaster posted:

for this one you have to catch all the eavesdropping conversations on the sculptor from the hole at the back of the shrine. it proves kind of tricky for most people because they don't even twig onto the fact that they can eavesdrop on npcs, much less on the sculptor from that one specific spot, until later in the game when they need to start doing so for one of the endings. in addition, it can be easy to miss some of the eavesdrops because they only show up for temporary story beats that can be shot past accidentally if you're cranking along progression wise and not obsessively heading back to the shrine to check for new ones.

You also need to catch the Sculptor when he's alone and Emma isn't nearby. He wants to ask you to kill him if he ever succumbs but he won't mention that while she's around. You can get locked out of that if you get the Purification materials because Emma will stay by him when you hit the point where you request the Owl bell. I think the last chance to do that is while Emma is at the old graves.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I think I only eavesdropped on one Emma/Sculptor conversation, but got dialogue during the fight with Demon of Hatred.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

WaltherFeng posted:

The pushback firecracker combo can be countered by walking towards him after the push and then dodging

https://youtu.be/pyUKtlUimFk
The dodge moves you far enough that you don't need to walk forward
at least, that was the case on the other fight with him

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Dodge step right through the firecrackers toward him, to your right. There’s enough time to clear the distance, and if it’s his move where he lights the powder with his sword, you have the benefit of being clear of the crackers and the swing, and free to punish him hard. Double Ichimonji is especially good to use here.

The only exception is if you’re up against a wall and there’s no space on the right. In which case just dodge back.

What makes Owl 2 much easier in my opinion is his tendency to use his firecrackers a lot more, thus presenting way more opportunities to punish and wear him down. Owl 1 feels way more tankier due to this.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
None of the enemy eavesdropping opportunities that I’m aware of have the specific positioning requirements the friendly ones do, so I never would have thought to try it on my allies without looking up the ending requirements.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Okay, so fighting SSI charmless for the first time, I can see why people have a problem with his later forms. Yikes.
The first time I got to his third form, I was in good shape with revives and heals... and then I promptly ran off the cliff and died. :suicide:

On the bright side I've gotten the first form of Isshin down. :v:
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/1177328487541030912

Feels good to finally platinum the game. The Severance ending was better than I thought it would be.
Like, when I was first playing and the prayer bead and time travel came into play, I wondered if the sculptor was future Sekiro. So to see that happen, in way, with the cycle starting over again was pretty neat.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Great Shinobi Owl down but I am probably going to do fountainhead some before trying against father again.

I doesn’t seem like it will be explained why Wolf wasn’t around during the attack on the hiragana estate, but I assume the Owl sent you away before the attack. Owl still has a soft spot for Sekiro and probably didn’t want to have to kill him so he ordered you somewhere and Sekiro, fully obeying the iron code at the time, left.

I imagine Kuro was fine with it because no one was expecting an attack while most of the younger Samurai were off fighting. If anything, it’s likely that Kuro’s family approved of Wolf leaving (probably to help out with the Hirata samurai) to show even the social elite were “helping the war effort.”

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pulcinella posted:

Great Shinobi Owl down but I am probably going to do fountainhead some before trying against father again.

I doesn’t seem like it will be explained why Wolf wasn’t around during the attack on the hiragana estate, but I assume the Owl sent you away before the attack. Owl still has a soft spot for Sekiro and probably didn’t want to have to kill him so he ordered you somewhere and Sekiro, fully obeying the iron code at the time, left.

I imagine Kuro was fine with it because no one was expecting an attack while most of the younger Samurai were off fighting. If anything, it’s likely that Kuro’s family approved of Wolf leaving (probably to help out with the Hirata samurai) to show even the social elite were “helping the war effort.”

Wolf was at the estate and was killed by Owl, he didn't just dream that. That's when Kuro gives him his blood and why he doesn't die immediately after losing to Genichiro at the start of the game.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

multijoe posted:

Wolf was at the estate and was killed by Owl, he didn't just dream that. That's when Kuro gives him his blood and why he doesn't die immediately after losing to Genichiro at the start of the game.

I think they understand that and are asking why Wolf only showed up once the estate was already overrun and set on fire, instead of being there from the beginning

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

I think they understand that and are asking why Wolf only showed up once the estate was already overrun and set on fire, instead of being there from the beginning

Yep.

Also beat True Corrupted Monk on the first try. Surprisingly easy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

edit: why the heck did wario64 randomly retweet the sekiro account and why the gently caress did I not immediately realize the location of the sculpter's place

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 27, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

aw dangit you got me all excited but it turns out their twitter account has been posting stuff just like that once or twice a month just more or less to keep it active

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think the line they chose for that tweet just got people unreasonably excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Pulcinella posted:

Yep.

Also beat True Corrupted Monk on the first try. Surprisingly easy.

Priestess Yao is dummy thicc.