Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah he's asking for peace because AI Nakai sucks hard.

Half the time his quick, merciful death comes is because he suicided into some random rebel half stack or something equally mundane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
AI Nakai seems to do well in Mortal Empires, by contrast - certainly a lot better than beastmen warherds do.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jamwad Hilder posted:

You can definitely build siege equipment to attack the Empire forts, they're different than the elf gates. In terms of defense it's more like a tier 3 minor settlement with better defensive positions and a powerful garrison.
This is from a few pages ago but I just confirmed this:

You definitely cannot build siege equipment to attack the empire forts.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 18, 2019

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You definitely cannot build siege equipment to attack the empire forts.

Your agents can't attack the walls either.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

Is there any argument for not rushing blue line -> lightning strike-> upkeep-> casualty replenishment on your LL every single time?

Seems like getting these bonuses early on gives the best return on investment when compared to any red or gold line stuff.

On very hard and up I feel like I need to rush blue line just for the upkeep reduction because of how many more places you need armies, but otherwise I rush red line asap.

Basically blue helps cover some stuff on the strategic map nicely. If possible I'd love to build all my secondary lords with blue skills while my main shitkicker stack is just red/yellow like I did with Wulfhart, who just shreds. In general though, my combat lords do well enough that they don't tend to need too many gold line buffs as-is.

(Also, definitely definitely take the RoR hellfire rockets with Wolfhart since he gets so many +ammo upgrades he can basically never run out with the normal rockets so the ROR is an absurdly good upgrade for him)

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 19, 2019

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm not a fan of Nakai's campaign or at least in Lustria. Maybe I need to just take off out of this shithole. I take something and move on, a few turns later I'm in the red again because one of the other 12 factions here has taken it back. I ground Markus into the dust and the Skaven took everything back from behind me and I'm in the red again. The garrisons you leave behind are loving useless after like 30 turns and the AI musters their poo poo so fast. I also struggle to see the point of his upper tech tree, the +army capacity thing is a joke. You can barely ever field 2 at once, let alone more. Anyways I'm going to do the stupid quest battle and end this, just not enjoying it like I did other Horde factions.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Apparent that 50% coupon CA mentioned awhile ago is now available in the Total War Access thingy. No idea who’s eligible for it but the coupon is tradeable so if you’re interested in Warham 2 half off let me know.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

I like getting the blue +ambush skill for Skaven lords at the start, since it makes attacking lots easier.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does Mazda not show up during a Nakai vortex campaign? Gor-Rok is here, Tiktakto is here, I assume Kroq-Gar is off somewhere I'll probably not get to...?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Everyone should be there as normal - Mazdamundi in Hexoatl, Kroq-Gar in the Temple of Skulls (south-eastern corner of the map).

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

Is there any argument for not rushing blue line -> lightning strike-> upkeep-> casualty replenishment on your LL every single time?

Seems like getting these bonuses early on gives the best return on investment when compared to any red or gold line stuff.

The argument is that it’s boring as sin

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

As far as hero skills go, Lightning Strike is never a bad idea because either you're a horde army who wants to cut off coordinated response or you're a settled faction who will have to deal with multiple stacks of Chaos and Skaven somewhere. I suppose if you have amazing garrisons and never intend to fight outside home turf or always move your armies in twos you don't need it, but I'm not convinced anyone can pick four* more red / yellow skills that will let you take on twice as many troops. For a horde army that has to deal with in-fighting I'd say it's mandatory.

If your troops are individually weak then maybe start 3-whatever before touching the blue line, but the armies I like to play are all hard as nails (Lizardmen, Chaos, Romans).

*I assume you're getting +movement as your basic level 2 because that's the build for every TW general I've ever played.

While Lightning strike is useful, it is also massively boring.
Unless you do VH/Legendary battles (with boosted enemy morale), you should be able to kill off two stacks using one in most cases.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Lightning strike isn't strictly necessary; ive been playing legendary campaigns and gotten by without it. the answer to the question of "how do you attack 3x stacks outside a city" ends up being the very boring and mundane answer of "attack somewhere else". Rolling with multiple armies is good in any case since you want to win a big fight and then grab as much territory as you can before the enemy can rebuild its forces.

i keep intending to get it but i end up not, and the situations where itd be game changing don't come up too much so i forget that i intended to get it

i also tend to roll around with a lot of cheaper armies rather than death stacks since i like having flexibility and reserve forces so i tend to wind up with huge rear end 3v3 stack battles anyways and those are, uh, interesting at least

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 19, 2019

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Not sure if I have a weird bug. Doing a Markus Wulfhart campaign and it said I needed to be at war with vampire coast mutineers to get the witch hunter special guy. Well I did that, and now I can see the special character (instead of just a blacked out outline) and it has moved onto step 1 of his quest, however, the actual hero has not shown up and is not on the campaign map. Do I have to move my army somewhere for him to spawn?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Check you agents list to see if he's not just hiding on the campaign map behind scenery or city buildings. He should appear the same or next turn. At the very least you'll get an "agent not moved" alert next turn.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
No, it happened about 10 turns ago, I checked the agents list, he is not there. When I war declared I was not in their territory, not sure if that would make a difference?

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Dravs posted:

No, it happened about 10 turns ago, I checked the agents list, he is not there. When I war declared I was not in their territory, not sure if that would make a difference?

It's probably something to do with how the agents spawn at Wulfhart rather than a city, they can end up not spawning properly if Wulfhart is sieging or under siege when they're supposed to spawn. And probably a few other scenarios I don't know.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Lightning strike isn't strictly necessary; ive been playing legendary campaigns and gotten by without it. the answer to the question of "how do you attack 3x stacks outside a city" ends up being the very boring and mundane answer of "attack somewhere else". Rolling with multiple armies is good in any case since you want to win a big fight and then grab as much territory as you can before the enemy can rebuild its forces.

if you think i'm going to melt my computer by taking on multiple skaven stacks at once + my own armies, you're deadly mistaken

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 19, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The real reason to take lightning strike on higher difficulties is that the interface and mechanics for reinforcement battles loving suck.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The real reason to take lightning strike on higher difficulties is that the interface and mechanics for reinforcement battles loving suck.

yeah and i really don't like managing 40 units on legendary where i can't pause. it's pretty much a guaruntee that a couple units are gonna get wrecked while i'm distracted

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

kidkissinger posted:

yeah and i really don't like managing 40 units on legendary where i can't pause. it's pretty much a guaruntee that a couple units are gonna get wrecked while i'm distracted

I find it a million times easier in 3K just because the default unit card setup for a full stack only takes half the screen, meaning two full armies don’t change the actual layout or size.

Now remove the dumb “everything comes on one by one” thing and just have the second stack start on the field. Dunno what to do for stacks 3+ but surely there is something better.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I find it a million times easier in 3K just because the default unit card setup for a full stack only takes half the screen, meaning two full armies don’t change the actual layout or size.

Now remove the dumb “everything comes on one by one” thing and just have the second stack start on the field. Dunno what to do for stacks 3+ but surely there is something better.
You can only have two stacks in a battle. Boom, solved.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Maybe the 40 unit card UI mess will be part of the QoL patch

maybe

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Legit have no idea why that unit card crunch came back when RTW2 already fixed it by having the second army on another tab.

Safety Helmet
May 7, 2007
In reenforcement battles, do my armies retain their respective Lord red line bonuses? Or do both armies get the attacking Lord bonuses? I assume the former but would like to know if anyone can confirm.

Also, thanks for all tips in this thread! It’s been helping me to (slowly) get into higher difficulty campaigns.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Safety Helmet posted:

In reenforcement battles, do my armies retain their respective Lord red line bonuses? Or do both armies get the attacking Lord bonuses? I assume the former but would like to know if anyone can confirm.

Also, thanks for all tips in this thread! It’s been helping me to (slowly) get into higher difficulty campaigns.

Each lord affects their own army.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

I always assumed the opposite for some reason but never checked anything to confirm.

What if you are attacking then with a garrison army reinforcing? No benefits?

Anno
May 10, 2017

So Troy has both 3K-style diplomacy and a version of duels running on an upgraded version of the WH2 engine. Hopefully that means those make it forward to Warham 3.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anno posted:

So Troy has both 3K-style diplomacy and a version of duels running on an upgraded version of the WH2 engine. Hopefully that means those make it forward to Warham 3.

Yeah, the ability forcing a character to duel, or at least commit to a fight for like 30 seconds is going to be real important for foot lords.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dipping into mythology for TW is such a good move and I hella look forward to Troy. I would love a version of that that expands the map to fit the entire Mediterranean for a mythos laden version of Rome.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Does anyone else hate this new map that has a massive statue surrounded by a perfectly round forest? Because I cant loving stand it. I alt-f4 if I load into a battle and its this map. I get annoyed at how some of the maps are like 75% forest but this one just takes the cake. The center of a battlefield should not be a forest with a huge roadblock in the middle of it.

In other news, I am enjoying the Skullsmasherz throwing a stack at Helmgart every dozen turns or so. The battles defending these forts are a ton of fun. Whoever said that the AI likes to throw itself at "unwalled" settlements was right, yeesh.

edit: but its completely loving stupid that enemies can retreat "offmap" inside the drat city, lmao

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 19, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I much prefer that map to the stupid unstructured random noise maps with no room to form a battle line at all.

The big statue map is actually quite good because while it has a lot of forest it's very structured. Forest/field maps are actually good I think, when they're not just this nonsensical patchwork of random bits of both.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

It's been a long time since I played a Mortal Empires campaign this deep without a bunch of mods. What's the current consensus on the fun level of dealing with the Chaos invasion? I haven't done this since it was really unbalanced and people were modding it out.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I love that map. There’s fun little cliffs for skirmishers and you never really know where everything is at the start of the battle. I’d like to see way more maps with big terrain differences like that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I really like that too, the cliffs make it super easy to use a few guns to shoot over your dudes, actually that might be one of my favourite open battle maps using the empire terrain.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The one thing I hate about it is there are a bunch of little divots and hills that are hard as hell to see but nonetheless block your handgunners' firing lines.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
It's a cool map and I like playing on it, I just wish it wasn't now used for at least half the minor settlements in the Empire because it gets very old when it keeps cropping up.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Well, ignore my posts from earlier because on turn 35 I dropped the difficulty to Normal on both fronts. I forgot that difficulty settings on grand strategy are just cheating one way or the other :v:

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

My first thought when playing that map was 'there need to be more cool rear end maps like this' but it seems it's pretty polarizing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The three kingdoms maps are so much better than the total warhammer ones. I don't know why most of the og field maps are SO BAD