Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
And I'm having the basic opposite of everyone else's summer season. My main team went 0-2 bounce being shut out one of those two, I subbed for two different teams that both got shut out. I put up a 2.5 GAA with half the games being over .900 sv%, but I can't really do any scoring from net.

Frustrating, but at least I know I played pretty good. I mean, I ended up being considered 11th of 40 goalies with literally no wins. I clearly did something right somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wanna watch a goalie slowly die?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcrt2m0tB34

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

xzzy posted:

Wanna watch a goalie slowly die?

Like >75% of those goals the goalie was torched and then he did another toe drag just so he could hit an even more wide open part of the net. Ouch.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This should just be titled "let's warm the goalie up before the game"

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Must be the off-season since there's crickets in here... To bide the time (~1.5 months) between the summer season and winter season here in Seattle, we did a best of 7 series with people from a few teams in our div6 range who are friendly with each other. We did an auction draft the previous weekend and then 2 games last Wed, 1 Fri, 2 Sat* and 2 Sun* *if needed. My team had the best players but also as result the worst players - the other team was pretty consistent across the board. Game 1 went to OT which my team controlled the zone for most of it until a bad bounce lead to a breakaway from their blue line and game winner. Game 2 was 1-1 after 2 but a bad 3 minutes lead to us losing 5-2. For Game 3 we kept out lines in tact since we felt it was 1 bad sequence and 1 bad bounce and it was different. It was another close game for 2 periods as we were only down 1-0 after 2 periods but lost 5-0. oh boy, please do not get swept, that would be embarrassing. We revamped the lines to have 1 A+ line and a CYA line. We won game 4, 4-2 and I got the game winner!! Game 5 was close again, 1-1 in the third... then 2-2... but we couldn't catch them and the counterattack propelled them to a 4-2 game 5 win and they won the series 4-1. We lost but it was hella fun and another random tournament/escapade for for the hockey year.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Scored the game-winner in OT on a breakaway with 0.4 seconds left on the clock last night. Puck pinballed around in our zone, bounced off me and went to the boards where there was no one and I was closest. Scooped it up at the red line, took it in and sort of shoved it on net, not thinking I'd even get there in time but it went five hole. Pretty awesome moment.

Watched it later on LiveBarn and immediately regretted it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I went to our captains meeting last night which was annoying and mostly a huge waste of time. A few guys wanting bigger rosters (currently I think our roster size is 22 which includes all full and part time skaters and subs excluding goalies). USA hockey max is 25 I think. They were complaining about not getting enough people to show up and having a short bench towards the end of the season. You still need 8 games to be playoff eligible so Im not entirely sure that would help anyway. We did a vote and that got shot down. The only positive that came out of it was the NHL Seattle representative said we will 100% be playing out of the Northgate NHL practice facility which was super cool.

I'm currently redesigning our jerseys (renegades - Dallas stars jerseys with a black north dakota as a third/tournament jersey) and even being a professional designer ... I hate this process. Sports logos are cool and fun but I'm always my biggest critic and figure/character illustration has never been my strong suit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My team won the lowest rung D league championship game last night, on a bullshit no one was happy with it (but were happy with the result) goal.

It was 0-0 until the 3rd, shot totals were middling but the shots that were happening had the two goalies playing balls out. The lone goal came from the opposing goalie coming out of the crease on a dump in and flubbing the shot up ice.. I didn't have a view of the exact mistake but he either whiffed the shot or put it off the shins of our center. It ends up wobbling behind him towards the blue paint and a defender almost gets on scene fast enough to clear it, but our guy got just enough stick on it to get a goal.

And that's how it ended. It was kind of amusing to watch the other team get progressively more disorganized as the clock ran down, they took a timeout to discuss a strategy, tried to line up six skaters with a goalie still in net, somehow managed to avoid a too many men call, held the puck in our zone for over a minute and still didn't pull the goalie, and got like three offsides calls.

They were the #1 team all season and goddamn they melted down hard.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Tank44 posted:

Must be the off-season since there's crickets in here...

We just started our season last night in Snoking/SKAHL (I jumped ship this season - I'm tired of Kuth and the Colliers) and already enjoying this team more. An actual goalie and actual completed passes are an amazing thing!

Verman posted:

The only positive that came out of it was the NHL Seattle representative said we will 100% be playing out of the Northgate NHL practice facility which was super cool.

Meh. I was actually kinda hoping they'd do it in house

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

some captains are trying to get 104 teams to forfeit a season to make the rink lower prices. lmao

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
beer league lockout, hell yeah

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

How loud is the laughter

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I subbed for a team last night at the rink where Nashville is conducting training camp. I guess they have a bunch of the locker rooms tied up so we got...alternative accommodations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

a mysterious cloak posted:

How loud is the laughter

It’s awesome. I’m encouraging everyone to participate so the leagues have a reasonable amount of teams and we don’t have 10:45 or 11:15 games.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
broken hockey stick guy has a ton of new stuff up

https://www.hockeystickman.com

note: i only told all of you after ordering my own sticks

if you're wondering, pre-broken hockey sticks are the best value in hockey sticks today

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Amazon Fischer deal was still the best hockey deal I've ever had. I wish more were available and I had bought all of them.

I should say I've played with repaired sticks and it very much depends stick to stick and where they were broken. Really light sticks tend to lose their balance and kick point if it's low. Personally I didn't like the feel in the few I tried, they just felt deadish. That's not too say they won't work for other people. I'm not a great player who needs a perfect stick but I just didn't like them very much. That said the ones I used might not have been repaired well either

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 19, 2019

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bewbies posted:

broken hockey stick guy has a ton of new stuff up

https://www.hockeystickman.com

note: i only told all of you after ordering my own sticks

if you're wondering, pre-broken hockey sticks are the best value in hockey sticks today

Thank you!

Last time you posted about it, there were barely any right sticks available, and the ones that were had either 60 or 120 flex. I jumped and managed to get two Super Tacks 2.0 sticks with my preferred curve and flex for only $69.99 each.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

sellouts posted:

It’s awesome. I’m encouraging everyone to participate so the leagues have a reasonable amount of teams and we don’t have 10:45 or 11:15 games.

Yeah, not having late rear end games would be nice...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm looking forward to hitting the big 50 because at that point I can play in the over 50 league that gets games 5pm-8pm on Sunday, rather than being in D3 that gets games at 9-11pm on Sunday.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'm looking forward to hitting the big 50 because at that point I can play in the over 50 league that gets games 5pm-8pm on Sunday, rather than being in D3 that gets games at 9-11pm on Sunday.

Ours are 8am to noon. Imagine having a whole day to yourself after hockey. Also being loaded by noon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't have to imagine it, I have instructional league every Sunday morning somewhere between 7am and 10am. :v:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I would kill for anything in the morning. All my son's practices and game are around 7-8pm, and mine are 8pm and later.

One of the other coaches has a kid each in 8U, 12U, and 14U, and he plays B league twice a week, after the 14U practice. I don't know how he does it. Or affords it, for that matter. Christ.

edit: Kid's first 14U game was last night - it was fun to see them all tentatively checking a bit at first and then ramped it up toward the end. Nothing malicious, but you could tell they were into it. My son, not the most aggressive kid in the world, planted himself in front of the net a few times setting up a screen, got pushed around a good bit, and evidently he loved it.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 22, 2019

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Thank you!

Last time you posted about it, there were barely any right sticks available, and the ones that were had either 60 or 120 flex. I jumped and managed to get two Super Tacks 2.0 sticks with my preferred curve and flex for only $69.99 each.

New twigs have arrived! :dance:

One was already the right size, but I had to saw the other one down to get it to the length I wanted. You can tell they're refurbished because there's minimal surface dinging and each stick also has a line from where two sticks were mended together. The mending doesn't appear to have affected the flex at all, but I won't know for sure until I get on the ice and try them out. This is my first time ever using a pro stock stick, and these are LIGHT. Each stick weighs over 100g less than my old sticks.

I just gotta tape em up and hopefully I'll be able to play with them on Thursday. I took a hard spill in Rat Hockey this morning and landed directly on my hip, so it currently hurts like hell.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I got the “it’s ok I make more money than you” chirp today after stopping a guy twice in our normal private pickup.

Everyone else’s reaction was...not what this young gentleman expected.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

New twigs have arrived! :dance:
[...]

The Team Pro-Stock Supertacks 2.0 are what I currently use now and they are one of the best sticks I've ever played with. Bear in mind that the Team Pro-Stock are supposedly Low Kick as opposed to their Retail counterparts.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My first game of winter season was cancelled because the ice time was apparently never secured.

Off to a great start.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
We have to contend with a "pro" team in the Federal League. I'm slightly curious how lovely this team is going to be. They are charging 20 bucks for basic bleacher seating and super lovely ice.

We did a game at the Wells Fargo Center and it was really nice to have great ice.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

My first game of winter season was cancelled because the ice time was apparently never secured.

Off to a great start.

Had that happen w/ gshl at showare center a couple years back.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Had my league's draft last night. I wasn't able to nab a high-level (for D-League) talent like I did last season, but I feel like my team has a really high floor. We don't have any ringers, but we don't have any pylons either.

Also I got rid of my toxic goalie and drafted a new one. :byewhore:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Did you break his goalie stick?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Did you break his goalie stick?

I pooped in his mask

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

my team has a really low floor but watch out for all of the empty bottles

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Trip report on my new sticks: I love them :swoon:

They're the same flex, curve, and length as my old ones, so it took pretty much zero time to get my passes and shots accurate. The most noticeable difference is how light they are. Stick handling felt so much easier. I also felt like I was able to get more oomph out of my wrist shots, especially if I was forced to take the shot without very good positioning.

Thanks again bewbies for the recommendation. I always gawk at pro-stock prices, so getting a refurbished stick is perfect for me.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
A bunch of dudes (including me) from my longtime team got tired of losing all the time and our captain not doing anything about it and hopped into open spots on a team a league lower. I wanted to get back to playing with two teams so I was going to stick with the old team for a while anyway but games are supposed to start Monday and nobody has heard anything from the captain about signing up / paying :shrug: maybe we all got cut.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I couldn't resist the siren-call of a refurb Super Tacks 2.0, so I'm getting a McDavid curve next week some time.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Any Montreal hockey goons here? I’m pretty new (played for a year and a half) and looking for a beer league to play in.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Well, it looks like I’m goaltending for some bad teams this winter. Last three games have a total of 3 goals for on 44 shots to 22 goals against on 112 shots.

Get that workout.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Well, it looks like I’m goaltending for some bad teams this winter. Last three games have a total of 3 goals for on 44 shots to 22 goals against on 112 shots.

Get that workout.

Who Cares is basically Big Jim Slade in bottom tier D3. It's nuts and I'm not sure how that was allowed to happen.

(tbf one of our new subs is loving bonkers too and I'm not sure how he was allowed to be on our team, but if this is the new norm I'm glad he's on the roster)

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Annie recruited for them assuming the team was staying in East instead of being dropped to West. She was waiting for the email from Hawk about their new players moving up or the whole team moving up while we were hanging out after last nights game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Lost our first game in a shootout, but I'm really pleased with the level of play from our team. They had one player obviously too good for the league do everything, scoring 3 of his team's 4 goals unassisted, while our team had 4 different scorers on 3 different lines. I got a goal by shoving my stick so hard against the goalie's leg that it pushed the puck over the line. :toot: