Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

mystes posted:

How about this except rather than a kernel parameter we just make another version of /dev/urandom that blocks so programs can choose which one they want to read from? We can call it /dev/urandom2 or something.

Whoa, you're starting to make too much sense here. We need to get every user compiling a kernel themselves, otherwise how will they learn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
clearly seeding the prng is not something the kernel should be doing, since it doesn’t know what the numbers are going to be used for. instead we should have a generic interface of the form /dev/prng/$seed, and leave it up to userspace callers to choose a seed with an appropriate level of entropy for their use case.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the kernel should be deterministic, why do we even have rng involved it just breaks the test cases

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TinkerSec/status/1174749392382976003?s=09

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just have the user decide how random they want something to be by flipping coins themselves and if they want secure randomness then do the flipping securely

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
A proper rng could generate the exact same data as a prng. who cares.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Honestly, if they want to have some sort of insane battle between levels of government that's fine, but lol at the pen testers being dragged into it.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Well at least there is no mandatory minimum on burglaries.

quote:

Third Degree Burglary charged as a Class D felony is punishable by a maximum of 5 years imprisonment and a fine up to $7,500.

In Iowa, you can even be charged with a crime for merely possessing “burglar’s tools.” If the state proves that you possessed tools, keys, instruments, devices or explosives that were intended to be used to commit a burglary, you can be convicted of an aggravated misdemeanor, punishable by up to two years in prison and a fine of $625 to $6,250.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Progressive JPEG posted:

just have the user decide how random they want something to be by flipping coins themselves and if they want secure randomness then do the flipping securely

just lol if u dont hire a NFL Referee to do your coin tosses

flipping your own coins is anti union

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Media Bloodbath posted:

and this is why you read up on the relevant regional laws before yosmas

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Media Bloodbath posted:

you still end up with a felony that will haunt you for the rest of your life

even if it’s knocked down to a misdemeanor these guys will still have an arrest record which can come up at inopportune times

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if all else fails this would be a great place for a pardon

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

haveblue posted:

if all else fails this would be a great place for a pardon

by whom?

trump would prolly want to see the security folks executed, not pardoned, the Police and state authority should be the only ones with access to things! Hackers are evil and should be punished etc etc etc

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the state governor. president can't pardon county/state crimes anyway

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the state governor. president can't pardon county/state crimes anyway

Who is a republican so exact same difference? right-wing authority does not want hackers to exist

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
this is indiana, i'm sure the state-level officials who started doing these security checks are also republicans

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

rjmccall posted:

this is indiana, i'm sure the state-level officials who started doing these security checks are also republicans

iowa, and yeah that doesnt matter anymore.

The problem is they got hacked and need to punish the hackers. Simple as that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sniep posted:

The problem is they looked dumb and need to punish the people who made them look dumb. Simple as that.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Secfuck

New client:

the login process continues to be distracting, I'm probably spending
20mins a day waiting to get back into my notes. How are we going with room
based logins? I think we need to extend the logout delay and just close
the computer from PROGRAM using KEYCOMBO like we used to, this allows
almost instant access.

KEYCOMBO in question just locks the medical application, If you cancel it you get taken back to a normal desktop, PROGRAM logins are weak using short staff codes. Previous IT company has 12 hour screen locks and generic desktop logins with password=username. When they came to us they go individual logins and 15min screen locks. It's taken C-level intervention and showing them govt standards and still some doctor's are complaing there's no issue with the old way

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

ya, that.

but publically, it's being Strong Against Cyber Crime

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
While i hope otherwise of course, I have a bad feeling about those pentesters. I'd not be surprised if they got 20 years type poo poo, examples made of

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Progressive JPEG posted:

please jiggle mouse to continue booting

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sniep posted:

iowa, and yeah that doesnt matter anymore.

The problem is they got hacked and need to punish the hackers. Simple as that.

thats not what happened, its a pissing match between the local sheriff and the state government

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

duz posted:

thats not what happened, its a pissing match between the local sheriff and the state government

my point was that depending on which way the wind blows, that piss stream could end up loving them.

i just don't envy their position, especially when caught up in that specific political flavor of pissing match

i hope the case gets dropped but WHO KNOWS in this wild world lately

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
the pentesters obviously weren't very good if they got caught anyway

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Methanar posted:

the pentesters obviously weren't very good if they got caught anyway

influx.
Dec 16, 2007

Nice pants!
su /san/sarandon

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

quote:

Bisignano said it's important to test the safety of government systems. He believes a test of vulnerability could have been accomplished in a less covert way than a "CIA-type action."

They deserve to be broken into

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Politician and Legal doesn't understand tech or security, news at 11.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

up next, a champion boxer who went his whole life without ever being punched by a sparring partner

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CommieGIR posted:

Its looks like the Iowa Pen Test gig, they were authorized to be there, they showed the Sheriff their documentation, and he arrested and charged them anyways.

https://twitter.com/cullend/status/1174467927510175745?s=20

This is some straight-up color-of-law malicious prosecution poo poo right here.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

possibly the world's most effective malware scheme

there is basically no way to inoculate users against opening documents from someone they trust, doubly so as part of an ongoing conversation.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

possibly the world's most effective malware scheme

there is basically no way to inoculate users against opening documents from someone they trust, doubly so as part of an ongoing conversation.

finding old email threads and quote-replying to them with attachments seems like an obvious, great idea, i wonder why literally every piece of malware doesn't do that

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

finding old email threads and quote-replying to them with attachments seems like an obvious, great idea, i wonder why literally every piece of malware doesn't do that
They will now. I'm sure all the malware authors are slapping their foreheads and wondering how they didn't think of this.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
loving lamo. @erratarob is an rear end in a top hat but goddamn he can gently caress up snake oil salesmen

https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/1175045949367967746?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ewiley posted:

loving lamo. @erratarob is an rear end in a top hat but goddamn he can gently caress up snake oil salesmen

https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/1175045949367967746?s=20

256 and 512 RSA have been crackable for a while. Which is why even 1024 is deprecated. 2048 or higher or bust. I want to say they are recommending a minimum of 2048 to be secure till 2030 and 3072 if you want assurances beyond that.

From Wikipedia, and a little dated:

NSA Recommended
Algorithm Usage
RSA 3072-bit or larger Key Establishment, Digital Signature
Diffie-Hellman (DH) 3072-bit or larger Key Establishment
ECDH with NIST P-384 Key Establishment
ECDSA with NIST P-384 Digital Signature
SHA-384 Integrity
AES-256 Confidentiality

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 20, 2019

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

CommieGIR posted:

256 and 512 RSA have been crackable for a while. Which is why even 1024 is deprecated. 2048 or higher or bust. I want to say they are recommending a minimum of 2048 to be secure till 2030 and 3072 if you want assurances beyond that.

From Wikipedia, and a little dated:

Algorithm Usage
RSA 3072-bit or larger Key Establishment, Digital Signature
Diffie-Hellman (DH) 3072-bit or larger Key Establishment
ECDH with NIST P-384 Key Establishment
ECDSA with NIST P-384 Digital Signature
SHA-384 Integrity
AES-256 Confidentiality

Anything above RSA 2048 is a waste of time since asymmetric keysize is irrelevant in a post-quantum world. Just use 2048 and wait till the post-quantum algorithms come out and switch to those. Using a classical computer to break RSA would be interesting, but it's basically dead-algorithm-walking as it is.

Symmetric (for now) just use AES 256

e: the NSA abandoned Suite-B for this very reason https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_Suite_B_Cryptography

ewiley fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 20, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ewiley posted:

Anything above RSA 2048 is a waste of time since asymmetric keysize is irrelevant in a post-quantum world. Just use 2048 and wait till the post-quantum algorithms come out and switch to those. Using a classical computer to break RSA would be interesting, but it's basically dead-algorithm-walking as it is.

Symmetric (for now) just use AES 256

Agreed, just saying that's what I've seen recommended.

Yeah, CNSA is the current standard.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

okay but how does factoring 256-bit RSA tie into their infinite prime number prediction pattern breakthrough? are they attending 36c3?

e: who uses 3072?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I use 3073, because it's twice as good