Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bewbies posted:

They've been pretty standard issue for any unit with trucks (which is a lot of different kinds of units) since forever. Usually two trucks in a platoon had mounts, one would get an M2, one a Mk 19.

Also one time some dumbass forgot to put the pin in a Mk 19 and I was riding in the mount in order to look cool as a second lieutenant and the thing fell out when we went over a bump and it pinned my hand down to the mount and there literally wasn't anything I could do about it until we stopped and someone heard me swearing and people came and lifted it up and my hand was broken and I was pissed. This is my "Mk 19 is horribly bulky and heavy" anecdote.

Yeah, I think I must be conflating it having been part of the TOE for the MP Humvees in Steel Panthers MBT and the most recent picture of it having been a couple of MPs shooting one off.

It didn't really make sense as an MP-only thing either (I doubt they're quite that :black101: about crowd control, at least in public)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bewbies posted:

They've been pretty standard issue for any unit with trucks (which is a lot of different kinds of units) since forever. Usually two trucks in a platoon had mounts, one would get an M2, one a Mk 19.

Also one time some dumbass forgot to put the pin in a Mk 19 and I was riding in the mount in order to look cool as a second lieutenant and the thing fell out when we went over a bump and it pinned my hand down to the mount and there literally wasn't anything I could do about it until we stopped and someone heard me swearing and people came and lifted it up and my hand was broken and I was pissed. This is my "Mk 19 is horribly bulky and heavy" anecdote.
Well, that settles it. Grenade launchers suck, 2" mortars for all!

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
I'm pretty sure that I read sometime in the past that certain US Army squads in Italy used as many Brit 2" mortars that they could scrounge up. Everyone in the squad would carry a few smoke bombs, the owner of the nearest mortar would use his upturned helmet as a baseplate.
I also remember that these squads used multiple sawed-off BAR's that had homebuilt 30 round mags.

Wasn't there instances of Sherman tanks firing smoke bombs from a 2" out of the assistants hatch?

Don't tell me I remembered this all wrong.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
All this talk of rifle grenades and super light mortars makes me think something like the M79 would have been very popular with WW2 armies.

Is there anything about the M79 and similar grenade launchers (that can be fired from the shoulder) that were out of reach by WW2 armies, technologically speaking? Different propellants?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Grumio posted:

All this talk of rifle grenades and super light mortars makes me think something like the M79 would have been very popular with WW2 armies.

Is there anything about the M79 and similar grenade launchers (that can be fired from the shoulder) that were out of reach by WW2 armies, technologically speaking? Different propellants?

A quick search suggests that the M79 uses a special gas capture system to improve the launch characteristics of the projectile. That system was actually developed by the Germans during the tail end of WW2, and then captured by the Allies.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Grumio posted:

I don't yet know anything about how popular it was, but the basic concept had been around since at least 1942, when the Wehrmacht started fielding explosive warheads for their flare guns. The result is a single-shot, shoulder-fired weapon that can deliver explosive firepower at up to 180 meters without too much loss of accuracy. It doesn't quite have the range of the M79, but it's otherwise basically the same type of weapon.

The poster boy for snooty rear end in a top hat Nazi officers demonstrating the Sturmpistole with a HE warhead

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I thought this was the milhist thread and that picture is clearly a still from Star Wars.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
all i can think of is whether the leather of his belt pouch is naturally tanned because reenacting BROKE my MIND

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Grumio posted:

I'm pretty sure they woulda loved something like the M79, yeah.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Someone shooting the knee mortar on his own

https://youtu.be/9toMIYnzBZE

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

I thought this was the milhist thread and that picture is clearly a still from Star Wars.

Most Star Wars weapons were just WW2 guns with extra bits, so yes.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Original_Trilogy

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I love that they didn't even remove the bolt so there's a slim chance that the Jawa's "Ion Blaster" could still fire.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grumio posted:

I posted the interwar Italian grenade launcher before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTT3Vmfu--w

You had to swap the bolt between the rifle and the grenade launcher to fire, so it wasn't as useful as it could have been. The grenades were also not very effective.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nucken Futz posted:

I'm pretty sure that I read sometime in the past that certain US Army squads in Italy used as many Brit 2" mortars that they could scrounge up. Everyone in the squad would carry a few smoke bombs, the owner of the nearest mortar would use his upturned helmet as a baseplate.
I also remember that these squads used multiple sawed-off BAR's that had homebuilt 30 round mags.

Wasn't there instances of Sherman tanks firing smoke bombs from a 2" out of the assistants hatch?

Don't tell me I remembered this all wrong.

Not all wrong, at least not the part that matters. You wouldn't have to fire it from a hatch, the 2" bomb thrower was mounted in the roof of British Shermans.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Archer

Queue: T-29-5, Avenger I, FIAT 3000, FIAT L6-40, [M13/40, M14/41, M15/42], Carro Armato P40 and prospective Italian heavy tanks, Grosstraktor, Panzer IV/70, SU-85, KV-85, Tank sleds, Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers, IS-2 mod. 1944, Airborne tanks, Soviet WWII pistol and rifle suppressors, SU-100, DS-39 tank machinegun, Flakpanzers on the PzIV chassis, Sentinel, Comet, Faustpatrone, [Puppchen, Panzerschreck, and other anti-tank rocket launchers], Heavy Tank T32, Heavy Tanks T30 and T34, T-80 (the light tank), MS-1 production, Churchill Mk.VII, Alecto, Assault Tank T14, S-51, SU-76I, T-26 with mine detection equipment, T-34M/T-44 (1941), T-43 (1942), T-43 (1943), Maus development in 1943-44, Trials of the LT vz. 35 in the USSR, Development of Slovakian tank forces 1939-1941, T-46, SU-76M (SU-15M) production, Object 237 (IS-1 prototype), ISU-122, Object 704, Jagdpanzer IV, VK 30.02 DB and other predecessors of the Panther, RSO tank destroyer, Sd.Kfz. 10/4, Czech anti-tank rifles in German service, Hotchkiss H 39/Pz.Kpfw.38H(f) in German service, Flakpanzer 38(t), Grille series, Jagdpanther, Boys and PIAT, Heavy Tank T26E5, History of German diesel engines for tanks, King Tiger trials in the USSR, T-44 prototypes, T-44 prototypes second round, Black Prince, PT-76, M4A3E2 Jumbo Sherman,
M4A2 Sherman in the Red Army

Available for request:

:ussr:
T-54
T-44 prototypes
T-44 prototypes second round
T-44 production
Soviet HEAT anti-tank grenades
PT-76 modernizations
T-34-85M

:godwin:
German anti-tank rifles
15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf)
Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles
Pz.Kpfw.IV Ausf.H-J
German tank nomenclature

:finland:
Lahti L-39

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

vains posted:

nobody loving humps a mk19. its something they make boots do at soi to make it even more misreable. the weapon system weighs over 100lbs.

mk19s and m2s are in weapons co and work with tows/javelins. 240s are in a rifle company.

Good to hear. I was an armor crewman, and from what I saw you poor grunts carried everything. We didn't even carry 5-gal oil cans if we could help it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fangz posted:

Someone shooting the knee mortar on his own

https://youtu.be/9toMIYnzBZE

that guy gets a pretty good ROF going

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ensign Expendable posted:

Not all wrong, at least not the part that matters. You wouldn't have to fire it from a hatch, the 2" bomb thrower was mounted in the roof of British Shermans.

The Germans :godwin: had something vaguely like this, the Nahverteidigungswaffe, a single-shot grenade launcher built into the roofs of afvs:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Operated by the loader IIRC, which the British really didn't like since it was tough for the commander to order the loader to fire it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ensign Expendable posted:

Operated by the loader IIRC, which the British really didn't like since it was tough for the commander to order the loader to fire it.

I know radios weren’t common installations in some armies’ tanks until the war, but when did intercom systems become common? Around the same time? I know tanks are loud as hell, and it would seem an obvious advantage, but then so does radio, in retrospect.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I think Hugo Boss is designing for Macy’s.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's... something else

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
What in flecktarnation

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Abwehrgasting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phanatic posted:

I saw that, or similar, in Arnott's in Dublin a couple of months back and yup, it makes you stop and wonder.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Huh. On the topic of that it's funny that Hugo Boss actually didn't design either the Germany army or the SS uniforms. It's really kind of a myth. Hugo Boss was a big time nazi though and operated factories with slave labor, some of which were later turned over to produce (but not design, they produced the uniforms to specifications essentially) uniforms for the army during the war. He did design a couple of Nazi party gauleiter uniforms (I think later in the war), but that's not generally what people think of when they say that Hugo Boss made the nazi uniforms, because it seems they mean the grey army uniforms.

I've also heard a competing but much less repeated myth, that Coco Chanel was involved in designing the German army uniforms. Though I think that one's essentially been debunked as a myth as well. Really the design was mostly just derived from the older uniforms throughout the 20s and 30s until it arrived at the point where we recognize it as the "Nazi uniforms".

Arquinsiel posted:

I love that they didn't even remove the bolt so there's a slim chance that the Jawa's "Ion Blaster" could still fire.

I don't know about the Jawa guns being functional, but a bunch of the guns used in Star Wars were functional, at least the Sterling SMGs they used for the guns the Stormtroopers use, and were used to fire blanks during shooting (which I believe was pretty helpful in making the gun battles more real and not having the actors and extras just pretend to be firing guns, also helped the editors in deciding where to put in laser blasts), in the original Star Wars you can see ejected casings a couple of times when they weren't edited out for whatever reason.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 21, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

As is the case with most uniform design the stuff that works stays and the stuff that loses their function and fashion just fade away.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

As is the case with most uniform design the stuff that works stays and the stuff that loses their function and fashion just fade away.

Yeah. Also of note is that both West and East Germany kept using essentially the same style of uniform after the war, though generally the East German ones are thought to look much closer to the WW2 era uniforms than the West German ones (I believe part of that is the colors they used, the cut of both the East and West German uniforms remained pretty similar to that used under Nazi Germany), and that it's not too uncommon to refashion East German uniforms to look like WW2 uniforms and sell them to people who want to buy a Nazi uniform. Also I guess some who want the WW2 uniform buy East German uniforms because they generally seem to be more available.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Somewhere out there a cafe of Broken Dreams exists for out of fashion uniform and armor trends.

Tall felt bucket hats, gaiters and putties all having drinks.

Naturally the Nazi ones are in the corner near the broken out of order WC.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somewhere out there a cafe of Broken Dreams exists for out of fashion uniform and armor trends.

Tall felt bucket hats, gaiters and putties all having drinks.

Naturally the Nazi ones are in the corner near the broken out of order WC.

Well, modern German dress uniforms essentially look like evolved versions of the type of uniform they wore during WW2, so I wouldn't say that the trend it represented went out of fashion. And there's also what I said above about both East and West Germany keeping the WW2-style uniforms and developing them over the years.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 21, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Randarkman posted:

I've also heard a competing but much less repeated myth, that Coco Chanel was involved in designing the German army uniforms. Though I think that one's essentially been debunked as a myth as well. Really the design was mostly just derived from the older uniforms throughout the 20s and 30s until it arrived at the point where we recognize it as the "Nazi uniforms".

Coco Chanel was absolutely a Nazi spy, though. One who took advantage of her connections with the party to get her competitors and unwanted employees sent to concentration camps for her own benefit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I was talking about the obvious Nazi stuff. Helmet, black trench coats and peaked cats with deaths head skulls on the brim.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Coco Chanel was absolutely a Nazi spy, though. One who took advantage of her connections with the party to get her competitors and unwanted employees sent to concentration camps for her own benefit.

Oh, yeah. But it's still, as far as I know, a myth that she had a hand in designing the Wehrmacht uniforms. Also a much less common myth than the one that says Hugo Boss did it (though there's at least some truth to that one as regards the later gauleiter uniforms)

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 21, 2019

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
"what are you Wehring?"

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Randarkman posted:

I don't know about the Jawa guns being functional, but a bunch of the guns used in Star Wars were functional, at least the Sterling SMGs they used for the guns the Stormtroopers use, and were used to fire blanks during shooting (which I believe was pretty helpful in making the gun battles more real and not having the actors and extras just pretend to be firing guns, also helped the editors in deciding where to put in laser blasts), in the original Star Wars you can see ejected casings a couple of times when they weren't edited out for whatever reason.
The Jawa ones being bolt action rifles just seem particularly odd, because they still have the whole bolt there. The Sterling is a little bit more "black metal tube" than the SMLE is, so it's not as obvious how it works.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Epicurius posted:

So the reason the Sudetenland is called the Sudetenland is because of the Sudeten mountains, which start in Saxony and extend east into Czechoslovakia. The mountains, along with the neighboring Ore Mounains. make a lot of the border hard to get through....an army crossing the border gets funneled into these mountain passes and valleys, which makes the area easy to defend.

Here's a current topographical map of the Czech Republic.

The green is all mountains, and as you can see, they make up most of tthe border. And all that border region is the Sudetenland.

On top of that, starting in 1935, worried about militarism in Germany, Hungary, and Poland, Czechoslovakia started building defensive fortifications along the border. They'd continue working on them until 1938 Czechoslovakia was part of an alliance called the Little Entente. This was created by France in 1920, and was an alliance between France, Czechoslovakia, Romania, and Yugoslavia. This was originally intended as an alliance against Hungary, but it got formalized in the 30s, and if any of the countries were attacked, the rest agreed to go to war against the attacker and coordinate the war effort. The first were intended to defend the border until the army could mobilize and its allies could bring help.

The Czechs also had an army of 42 divisions (compared, I think, to the Germans 55), and they were well equipped and modern , with the tanks being on par with, or, arguably better than Germany

If it had come down to a war, the Czechs probably could have won.

The Czechs couldn't have won on their own; the defenses were just that, meant to stop the German advances, and while there was pretty much a parity of ground forces between Germany and Czechoslovakia in 1938, the Czechs lacked the reserves that the Germans possessed so they were in no position to launch offensives. However, with help from Romania (which was the one country willing to honor the Little Entente all the way through 1939, for obvious reasons) and with even modest commitment from France, Germany could have been absolutely crushed in 1938 (not to mention the Soviet offers to join the war). Sadly politics get in the way of optimal historical scenarios, and also Poland's antagonism towards Czechoslovakia contributed to the French failure to act.

Also what you are missing is that the defensive lines didn't account for the Anschluss, which exposed some of the most vulnerable Czech borderlands to German assaults, and also the fact that the forts weren't even close to 100% operational by 1939. Still, they probably could have held the bulk of Wehrmacht back while the allies advanced from the other fronts...

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 21, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Randarkman posted:

Well, modern German dress uniforms essentially look like evolved versions of the type of uniform they wore during WW2, so I wouldn't say that the trend it represented went out of fashion. And there's also what I said above about both East and West Germany keeping the WW2-style uniforms and developing them over the years.

Man, I'm just glad I don't have to wear those anymore. It's been 10+ years and we only needed to wear full Dressuniform like 2 times I can remember, but I still hated them. I felt like a clown when marching around in them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Grumio posted:

"what are you Wehring?"

"normally I'm size S, but this black uniform makes me look like SS!"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I really loved Harry Turtledove's The War that Came Early series because of how easily you could try to wargame it out in Hearts of Iron 4.

It's the series that basically asks, "What if the War happened in 1938 instead?" It's interesting because that's early enough for the Soviets to get all of the good rep they get from fighting fascists without all of the bad rep from occupying Poland while it's Britain and France who eat it instead for supporting Germany invade the USSR; plus it ends before Germany can even begin to contemplate the Final Solution.

Also the sheer satisfaction having the Republicans win the Spanish Civil War and Franco getting shot in the face by a anti tank rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Raenir Salazar posted:

I really loved Harry Turtledove's The War that Came Early series because of how easily you could try to wargame it out in Hearts of Iron 4.

It's the series that basically asks, "What if the War happened in 1938 instead?" It's interesting because that's early enough for the Soviets to get all of the good rep they get from fighting fascists without all of the bad rep from occupying Poland while it's Britain and France who eat it instead for supporting Germany invade the USSR; plus it ends before Germany can even begin to contemplate the Final Solution.

Also the sheer satisfaction having the Republicans win the Spanish Civil War and Franco getting shot in the face by a anti tank rifle.

That particular series is interesting in a few ways -for one thing, it is just about the only series he's done that didn't have WWII go much worse than the historical one-, but it shares the common flaw in Turtledove that the unexplored end state is probably much more interesting than the actual story.