Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i worked with a theme park once and the permanent staff was mostly PM's, all the technical heavy lifting was contracted out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Does Disney have a proper "engineering" culture at all? Most of their big tech things seem to be acquisitions.

itym “imagineering”

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
blew my interview cus I froze up on a loving compsci 101 question. is there a site someplace that has a list of those style questions that I can practice on?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Does Disney have a proper "engineering" culture at all? Most of their big tech things seem to be acquisitions.

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah but it's very much hire you as a contractor for a project and lay you off when it's done. They do stuff like apps for Disneyland and such, at least out here.

disney was one of the firms that got in hot water for mass-firing staff and "insourcing" with indian contractor firms

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's the happiest place on earth

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
disney employees have been "jokingly" calling it mauschwitz for more than 30 years

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Disney is a garbage company don’t work there.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Kuvo posted:

blew my interview cus I froze up on a loving compsci 101 question. is there a site someplace that has a list of those style questions that I can practice on?

hackerrank.com

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ratbert90 posted:

Normally I don't name and shame, but this just came in:

Guess the max on the range!
$65/hr on c2c otherwise depend on experience

There’s a lot of great stuff here. the three cfg mgt systems or the decade old ibm hardware.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PCjr sidecar posted:

There’s a lot of great stuff here. the three cfg mgt systems or the decade old ibm hardware.

i'm sure this is the third time they've re-used the same posting after folks quit one by one

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Arcsech posted:

itym “imagineering”

:hmmyes:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

I love that the email subject was “Linux Admin” and the job responsibilities have Windows.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
sounds like a katamari job position that keeps collecting the responsibilities of people as they quit

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I remember a viral vid of a professor who made his last lecture before he died of cancer. A big theme was achieving your childhood dreams. One of his life's goals to work as an Imagineer

I hope he realized before he kicked it that, while he got to indulge in a flight of fancy, real, desperate exploitation of labor is disney's real game

I know he didn't because he was a white carnegie mellon professor

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dragon enthusiast posted:

sounds like a katamari job position that keeps collecting the responsibilities of people as they quit

whoever takes that is a real Katamari Dumbassy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

dragon enthusiast posted:

this has happened to me before

after i quit god knows how they advertised for my replacement

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Not a Children posted:

I remember a viral vid of a professor who made his last lecture before he died of cancer. A big theme was achieving your childhood dreams. One of his life's goals to work as an Imagineer

I hope he realized before he kicked it that, while he got to indulge in a flight of fancy, real, desperate exploitation of labor is disney's real game

I know he didn't because he was a white carnegie mellon professor

is it bad that i don't feel sorry this guy died

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
interviewing post-mortem:

I've had a bunch of conflicting thoughts as of late about new job, which boils down to "job good, Bay Area not good".

Then my manager told me during my annual review they misjudged me and that they should have brought me in at a higher pay-grade, so to make up for it they unloaded the RSU truck on my face and now my thoughts about the matter are even more conflicting.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

I've had a bunch of conflicting thoughts as of late about new job, which boils down to "job good, Bay Area not good".

Then my manager told me during my annual review they misjudged me and that they should have brought me in at a higher pay-grade, so to make up for it they unloaded the RSU truck on my face and now my thoughts about the matter are even more conflicting.

money will fix the bay area-specific problems

money will not fix "oh poo poo i moved two thousand miles away from everyone i know" problems. that set of issues requires hard work and meeting new people and poo poo

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Kuvo posted:

leetcode.com seems more focused on formal compsci stuff than hackerrank imo, practicing the easy problems on both websites is a good idea.

if you really want to get all the way into interviewing problems bullshit then studying the "cracking the coding interview" book is a must.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

leetcode.com seems more focused on formal compsci stuff than hackerrank imo, practicing the easy problems on both websites is a good idea.

if you really want to get all the way into interviewing problems bullshit then studying the "cracking the coding interview" book is a must.
cracking the coding interview is a lot more than just algorithms and whiteboard problems

they go into p. much all the common poo poo in behavioral questions

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

money will fix the bay area-specific problems

money will not fix "oh poo poo i moved two thousand miles away from everyone i know" problems. that set of issues requires hard work and meeting new people and poo poo

the other problem is that now all the people you're in a position to meet are bay area people

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jabor posted:

the other problem is that now all the people you're in a position to meet are bay area people

that's not a problem

just try going somewhere that isn't work and you'll probably be fine. there are people in the bay area who don't work in information technology, i promise

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are people in the bay area who don't work in information technology, i promise
Yeah there are unemployed people too

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's not a problem

just try going somewhere that isn't work and you'll probably be fine. there are people in the bay area who don't work in information technology, i promise

not in the last decade, they all got priced out to Antioch

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love to visit the Bay Area but I would never want to live there. just move to Bay Area part 2, San Diego.

I hope my opinion as someone who lives in Milwaukee will help you namaste

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

just move to Bay Area part 2, San Diego.
this is a terrible idea

san diego has the same cost of living and traffic congestion issues as the bay area (or los angeles) but the salaries there are 30-40% less

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

ill check these out, thanks

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FMguru posted:

this is a terrible idea

san diego has the same cost of living and traffic congestion issues as the bay area (or los angeles) but the salaries there are 30-40% less

right but then you don’t have to live in the bay, and can you really out a price on that?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

this is a terrible idea

los angeles and san diego are both cheaper than the bay, and both have better weather

if you move to san diego i hope you have a navy job lined up because i am not entirely sure any other businesses exist

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

los angeles and san diego are both cheaper than the bay, and both have better weather

if you move to san diego i hope you have a navy job lined up because i am not entirely sure any other businesses exist
qualcomm

thats p much it for tech industry in san diego

san diego is the 8th largest city in the us and has exactly two f500 companies headquartered there: qualcomm and the regional power monopoly

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

right but then you don’t have to live in the bay, and can you really out a price on that?

Yes you can it's infinity dollars

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Biotechs, too

Bay itself has solidly 90th percentile weather, it's just that la and sd have literally the best weather in the world

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

65 degrees and foggy forever is not 90th percentile weather considering it’s a clone of Seattle most of the time.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Jimmy Carter posted:

did you end up staying at the same company? I assume no, but sounded like that was your path awhile back.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Biotechs, too

Bay itself has solidly 90th percentile weather, it's just that la and sd have literally the best weather in the world

Bay Area weather is only good if your only point of comparison is the Midwest

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if someone tells you Bay Area weather is great just ask them about the color of their smoke mask

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Progressive JPEG posted:

or the south, or the north, or texas, or the northwest, or alaska

hawaii beats it, socal beats it. 90th percentile

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

a large fraction of americans live in the midwest and look at the bay area and say "gee that doesn't seem so bad"

new york seems pretty gentle and temperate compared to say, chicago. sure it pisses rain on you for months, and snows 30" a year, but at least the snow melts occasionally and there are four distinct seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

65 degrees and foggy forever is not 90th percentile weather considering it’s a clone of Seattle most of the time.

the Bay Area is larger than like six individual block microclimates in sf