Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Enigma posted:

Budget - ~$100, but flexible
Source - iPad with 3.5mm jack, Pixel (USB C with a dongle adapter) or PC
Isolation Requirements - I'm used to earbuds so my standards are probably low
Preferred Type of Headphone - Probably wired IEM, but not 100% sure since I haven't owned many. In-line controls would be nice.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced or bass-leaning?
Past Headphones - I had Pixel Buds that I got on a steep discount, but they died and Google won't replace them. I liked that they were wireless, but the sound was mediocre, they had bad audio latency, and the warranty was garbage. I also had some entry-level Sennheiser earbuds that I liked a lot, good audio quality, but they finally died after 15 years.
Preferred Music - Netflix, classical/orchestral, classic/hard rock (Led Zep, AC/DC, Hendrix), occasionally metal and hip-hop

I mean, it's a meme at this point but go get some Tin T2s. They come with an awesome cable, but it doesn't have a mic. The good news is they only cost $40 and a decent MMCX cable with a mic is like $20 so you're still well under budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The reviews on build quality of the Tin T2s were not too reassuring, it's only a one-year warranty, and it looks like it only comes with one set of tips.

How do they stack up against the Shure 215 or the Sennheiser Momentum?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Enigma posted:

The reviews on build quality of the Tin T2s were not too reassuring, it's only a one-year warranty, and it looks like it only comes with one set of tips.

Wait, what review? The set I have is so well built people are shocked at the price when they handle them. And it comes with the usual butt ton of tips, including some very nice foams.

I would say they're simply better on every level than the 215s except for size and isolation, and there are other IEMs I'd recommend if those things are of paramount importance. The 215 can't approach the bass from the T2 with its single BA, and its highs roll off just when the T2 gets exciting. Haven't tried the Momentums.

edit: oh wait the 215 is single dynamic, well whatever it's not very good regardless.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 22, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Enigma posted:

From experience, the T2 will stomp the ever-loving poo poo out of those two IEMs. They also come with 7 pairs of tips.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I like my T2’s. If you have a $100 budget you can easily get an mmcx cable with an inline mic or a Bluetooth receiver (look at fiio ubtr) to go along with them.

e: and some nicer tips if you need them

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is it worth waiting for the T3s to go back on Drop? Like to keep going with the $100 budget- T2/Pros or T3?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Double post but it’s a day apart:

I’m not super familiar with how Drop/Massdrop works but it seems like things like, say, the THX 789 go back on sale every so often as enough people register interest.

Basically- the current 789 preorder run ends tomorrow and I don’t really want to drop $400 on a headphone amp right now given that I just bought some monitor speakers. But I’m wondering if I’ll be ok on getting one in the reasonably near future. IIRC this is the second batch they’ve put out, but I don’t want to wait another two years or whatever. Is it reasonable to expect another order cycle within the next year or so?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Double post but it’s a day apart:

I’m not super familiar with how Drop/Massdrop works but it seems like things like, say, the THX 789 go back on sale every so often as enough people register interest.

Basically- the current 789 preorder run ends tomorrow and I don’t really want to drop $400 on a headphone amp right now given that I just bought some monitor speakers. But I’m wondering if I’ll be ok on getting one in the reasonably near future. IIRC this is the second batch they’ve put out, but I don’t want to wait another two years or whatever. Is it reasonable to expect another order cycle within the next year or so?

That's part of their "Drop Studio" series of collaborations with manufacturers. I'd expect this to be available pretty much all the time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just get a JDS Labs Atom.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

It’s not as pretty as the Magni.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Thanks for the help! I ordered some T3s, mostly for the nicer cable. I can do without a mic for now.

I’m not the biggest treble fan, so I’m hoping these aren’t too “bright,” if I’m using the term right.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Enigma posted:

Thanks for the help! I ordered some T3s, mostly for the nicer cable. I can do without a mic for now.

I’m not the biggest treble fan, so I’m hoping these aren’t too “bright,” if I’m using the term right.

Awesome! I've had my eye on them, let me know what you think!

edit: vvvv or you can save $20 if you're willing to Aliexpress them and wait for the slow boat.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 23, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Is it worth waiting for the T3s to go back on Drop? Like to keep going with the $100 budget- T2/Pros or T3?

You don't need to wait for another MassDrop unless you really want to https://www.linsoul.com/collections/tin-hifi/products/tinhifi-t3

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Awesome! I've had my eye on them, let me know what you think!

edit: vvvv or you can save $20 if you're willing to Aliexpress them and wait for the slow boat.

Linsoul has an official store on Amazon too, so I grabbed them there with prime shipping.

So far they sound extraordinary. I am by no means an audiophile, and I don't have a great basis for comparison, but they sound better than anything I've used before. Everything is clearer and crisper. The bass is good. Rather than everything having bass, it actually requires that the song itself have bass for it to come across, if that makes sense.

Jazz sounds by far the best. I've never noticed how reedy the saxophone on Kind of Blue is, to where it sounds like they are on a stage in front of you.

Only hangup so far is I am still futzing with the included tips to find something that is comfortable and easy to don, but that may be (likely is) just because I am new to IEMs.

The cord is great too. It's bulkier than I expected, but that's not a bad thing since it tangles less. Definitely feels premium.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Enigma posted:

Only hangup so far is I am still futzing with the included tips to find something that is comfortable and easy to don, but that may be (likely is) just because I am new to IEMs.

I struggled with tips for a long time before I finally figured out to just use some calipers on the ones that almost but not quite fit to narrow down the search. Turns out I need pretty much exactly 11mm tips, so the Spiral Dot MS size and the Spinfit S work great. Unfortunately tip manufacturers often don't put the outside diameter on the package, but you can Google it and someone will probably have measured them. With foams I can get away with another .5mm but any bigger or smaller and it doesn't work.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
T2/Pro or T3?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I don't like Active Noise Cancelling, but I want closed back over the ear bluetooth headphones for work. Is there any gold standard you guys would recommend?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The T3 is a bit more detailed, has more bass, and a bit more treble than the T2, but a smaller perceived soundstage and not *quite* as good timbre as the T2.

The T2 has a larger perceived soundstage and slightly better timbre, but less bass (though it's easy to add more), and slightly less detail than the T3.

The cable included with the T3 is better, the tips included with the T2 are better.

Skip the T2 Pro, they're nearly identical to the T2 but have more treble and can be quite harsh.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

KozmoNaut posted:

This is the only realistic answer to what desktop headphone amp to buy

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Mods, new thread title please.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What headphones do you own? There's a pretty small list of things that would genuinely benefit from a 789 over, say, i dunno, a JDS Labs Atom.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
So I've got the latest cheap Chi-Fi IEM hype, Blon BL-03. The alleged story is that they use the same driver as a pretty well regarded $250+ set of IEMs, but they have a weird/uncomfortable fit with the stock cable for most people. So I followed the head-fi consensus of using a straight connector 2 pin cable to replace the angled connector stock one, and add a spacer to keep tips from sliding down the nozzle.

My verdict OOTB is that they're really freaking good for ~$30 if you don't mind the hassle of doing all of the above. Really good sub bass extension, natural sounding timbre, good treble sparkle without being tiring. The fit initially seems really comfortable and stable for me with the swapped cable. Only quibble I can see for the price is that the mid bass might be a bit much for some folks.

Drist
Jan 19, 2007

This is an alarm, stay where you are...
Been looking for good headphones and after wasting some money on a dud purchase I figured I should seek some advice

Budget - up to $400
Source - PC only (my mobo has ALC1220 120dB(A) SNR HD Audio with Smart Headphone Amp if that means anything at all)
Isolation Requirements - unimportant
Preferred Type of Headphone - Wired circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass! This is the important part for me. The deeper and fuller, the better.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD 4.50BTNC, tinny and uncomfortable. I've stopped using them in favour of my cheap plantronics headset
Preferred Music - Bassy EDM (eg Eprom - Crawled Eagle), death metal (Rings of Saturn, Archspire, tangent stuff like Animals as Leaders), hip hop (clipping, Vince Staples, Flying Lotus, Aesop Rock, etc)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

trem_two posted:

So I've got the latest cheap Chi-Fi IEM hype, Blon BL-03. The alleged story is that they use the same driver as a pretty well regarded $250+ set of IEMs, but they have a weird/uncomfortable fit with the stock cable for most people. So I followed the head-fi consensus of using a straight connector 2 pin cable to replace the angled connector stock one, and add a spacer to keep tips from sliding down the nozzle.

My verdict OOTB is that they're really freaking good for ~$30 if you don't mind the hassle of doing all of the above. Really good sub bass extension, natural sounding timbre, good treble sparkle without being tiring. The fit initially seems really comfortable and stable for me with the swapped cable. Only quibble I can see for the price is that the mid bass might be a bit much for some folks.

I'm curious about what happens if you put the Sendy Aiva pads on those. I'm thinking of getting some to throw on my t50 frankenstein experiment, they're only $25.

edit: wrong BLON omg, I'm thinking of the BLON B20 nevermind.

edit edit: Oh also, I dunked my right T2 in a glass of whiskey like an rear end. Shook it off, blew on it for a bit and let it dry. An hour later, it's fine. Did a sine sweep, no wandering tone. So that's a data point for ya.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 25, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Nice Got the Blon coming in as well. I have high hopes!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Nice Got the Blon coming in as well. I have high hopes!

If you can comfortably get 'em into your ears, they're pretty rad.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Hmm... well, I do seem to like dynamics with weird fit/cable issues, so I'll have to get one

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
FWIW the cable I'm using with the Blon is this one (nothing special, but that type of 2 pin connector seems to work well) and the tips I'm using are these. Anybody that has a lot of tips can surely find something that works, but I did find that having the length of double-flange tips made a big difference for comfort.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I almost wish I'd ordered my T2s off Amazon instead of aliexpress because ePacket kills me... departed the sorting center on the 18th and not a peep since. Still, saving $20 is nice.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m not sure if this is even a headphones question, but I’m looking for an over-the-ear thing that literally just blocks out sound and that’s it. I don’t need something that plays music or sound of any kind, I just need to not hear any poo poo around me. Basically something like those things hunters wear over their ears that muffle the sound of their guns, but I need it to block EVERYTHING out, not just sounds up to certain decibels. What the gently caress are those things called? I don’t loving know what they’re called so I don’t know what the gently caress to look for.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Earmuffs :-)

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
If anyone has been considering a true wireless adapter for MMCX or 2-pin IEMs, I picked up these from aliexpress and so far I'm pretty happy with them. They're super small and light, I can barely tell they're there. The only comfort complaint I have is that the hook is pretty short so if you have small IEMs and large ears it might be an issue. Does exactly what it says on the box, battery life is pretty good, pairing is easy, A+ would wait a month for shipping again.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m not sure if this is even a headphones question, but I’m looking for an over-the-ear thing that literally just blocks out sound and that’s it. I don’t need something that plays music or sound of any kind, I just need to not hear any poo poo around me. Basically something like those things hunters wear over their ears that muffle the sound of their guns, but I need it to block EVERYTHING out, not just sounds up to certain decibels. What the gently caress are those things called? I don’t loving know what they’re called so I don’t know what the gently caress to look for.

Look for "hearing protection"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Picked up an HE4xx for heck of cheap on ebay to experiment with. I sold my 400i back in the day because the build was dogshit and the pads sucked. These are way, way better. Same basic bitch hifiman tin-cans-and-string construction but way better materials, fit and finish. The sliders are super stiff and stay in place and the old style headband is actually more comfortable and better looking than their attempt at a suspension strap. The cable is extremely poo poo. Offensively bad, but that's easy enough to remedy. Oh, and I had to open them up and replace the right 2.5mm jack to keep the plug from falling out. And the fabric on the inside of the metal grills had to come off, it was causing a reflection that was phase-loving the lower treble and ruining hi hats and female vocals. Okay fine, maybe the build isn't that much better.

Out of the box, they sound dark-ish and wide. Using the HD600 as a reference, they're much wider, much more rolled off upstairs but everything from 500hz down is noticeably fast, clean and big-planar-esque. Vocals are present and satisfying but obviously don't get right up in your poo poo in that magical way the HD series does. If HD600s are like sitting in the front row with the vocalist in your lap, these are five rows back. Stock, these are accurate enough, fun and relaxing with good enough imaging and a real nice, wide soundstage. I'd take these for gaming and movie watching over the Sennheiser, but not for critical listening or mixing.

The Focus pads are better than the OG hifiman pads, but they're still bad. I like the slight angle but they're too thin and the velour is cheap and scratchy. Brainwavz hybrids are better, softer, wider and bassier without losing detail. The winner for me is angled pleather Brainwavz. Brings up the subbass and upper treble while only sacrificing a little lower midrange detail. While T50RP drivers want to be right up against your ear at all times to sound good, these drivers really like an inch or two of space, and the stock pads are way too close to avoid congestion.

Anyway, these are good headphones that need a lot of love to be great, but at $110 on eBay, it's more than worth the effort.

edit: oh and they need power. I'm at 2 o'clock at high gain on my o2 for reference. My LG V30 powers them fine, tried an iPhone 5s and a Oneplus 3T, neither were loud enough to be enjoyable.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 27, 2019

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Andorama has the Audeze El-8 on sale for $250 - b-stock if anyone is interested.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Oof. At that price I could overlook the stupid proprietary cable.

Drist
Jan 19, 2007

This is an alarm, stay where you are...

Drist posted:

Been looking for good headphones and after wasting some money on a dud purchase I figured I should seek some advice

Budget - up to $400
Source - PC only (my mobo has ALC1220 120dB(A) SNR HD Audio with Smart Headphone Amp if that means anything at all)
Isolation Requirements - unimportant
Preferred Type of Headphone - Wired circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Bass! This is the important part for me. The deeper and fuller, the better.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD 4.50BTNC, tinny and uncomfortable. I've stopped using them in favour of my cheap plantronics headset
Preferred Music - Bassy EDM (eg Eprom - Crawled Eagle), death metal (Rings of Saturn, Archspire, tangent stuff like Animals as Leaders), hip hop (clipping, Vince Staples, Flying Lotus, Aesop Rock, etc)

A producer friend of mine has recommended Audio Technica ATH-M50x or the Sony XB series. I think the latter are a bit wanky, so I'm seriously considering the ATs unless anyone has advice? Consider the budget range opened up to whatever

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I love the M50/M50X and I love that they can take a beating. A lot of audiophiles turn their noses up at them because they’re super hyped up and definitely on the bassier side, but they’re the number 1 recommendation to newbs for a reason.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The m40x is strictly better and cheaper is why. I really like "fun" non-audiophile sound signatures but the m50x just cant hang. The beyer dt770 Pro is better than either and probably more like what dude is looking for anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

trem_two posted:

FWIW the cable I'm using with the Blon is this one (nothing special, but that type of 2 pin connector seems to work well) and the tips I'm using are these. Anybody that has a lot of tips can surely find something that works, but I did find that having the length of double-flange tips made a big difference for comfort.

Alright, I bought the drat BLONs even though I have two flagship-grade dynamic IEMs already. I haven't bought any Chi-fi in quite some time, so let's see what $30 gets you these days.