Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
When Pillman's worked shoot turned shoot shoot firing angle was getting super hot Hogan wanted him to be more involved in the Dungeon of Doom/Four Horsemen vs Mega Powers feud specifically so he (Hogan) could pin him (Pillman).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has Flair ever refused to work with someone, or put them over? I know there was a small feud between him and Foley but they've since buried that hatchet.

After a match in TNA that should never have happened.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

When Pillman's worked shoot turned shoot shoot firing angle was getting super hot Hogan wanted him to be more involved in the Dungeon of Doom/Four Horsemen vs Mega Powers feud specifically so he (Hogan) could pin him (Pillman).

Then Brian used the ol' noodle and said he was still too hurt

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Has Flair ever refused to work with someone, or put them over? I know there was a small feud between him and Foley but they've since buried that hatchet.

After a match in TNA that should never have happened.

He refused to drop the world strap to Luger at one point, I believe

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Then Brian used the ol' noodle and said he was still too hurt

Pillman had this lifelong issue where cancerous tumors would grow in his vocal cords every year or so, and he'd need surgery to remove them. iirc he used this as an excuse to avoid being buried by Hogan

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Randaconda posted:

You can almost physically see the brakes being put on Austin as soon as Hogan, et all comes in.

I think Hogan doing that and the Wrestlemania 9 poo poo before that is largely responsible for the hella paranoid top faces we saw in Bret, Shawn, Austin ect. You don't see him doing that to people and take any other lesson besides "people will gently caress you if you give them a shred of a chance"

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Randaconda posted:

Steve was so entertaining during his WCW run, except for the end.

really, steve wasn't really any good at just "the ringmaster" and everyone seemed to know it immediately to their collective credit. i think if stunning steve had never been fired by fedex, he would have eventually been a upper-mid guy, really loved by the fans, like ddp level or so. of course, stone cold was a whole different stratosphere, but wcw steve austin was fun, if completely overshadowed.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

Defiance Industries posted:

I think Hogan doing that and the Wrestlemania 9 poo poo before that is largely responsible for the hella paranoid top faces we saw in Bret, Shawn, Austin ect. You don't see him doing that to people and take any other lesson besides "people will gently caress you if you give them a shred of a chance"

everybody thinks nash is a gently caress and do not get me wrong he is but also it turns out that if you do not realpolitik the gently caress out of your situation then you get 50/50 booked into a flavourless mush

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

shiksa posted:

really, steve wasn't really any good at just "the ringmaster" and everyone seemed to know it immediately to their collective credit. i think if stunning steve had never been fired by fedex, he would have eventually been a upper-mid guy, really loved by the fans, like ddp level or so. of course, stone cold was a whole different stratosphere, but wcw steve austin was fun, if completely overshadowed.

It's tough to say what would have happened if WCW had kept Austin around. I don't think he would have remained "Stunning" into the nWo era, everyone was changing gimmicks around that time, and it's tough to be "Stunning" when you're going bald.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

lost my old email posted:

i mean of all the money wcw wasted at least they got james brown out of it that time, y'know?
Right, but the point is that it didn't move any numbers because it wasn't promoted.

Davros1 posted:

Roma was gifted athletically (he was the first guy I ever saw do a hands free leap from the mat to the top rope), and had a good look, but he been portrayed as a jobber for so long that he couldn't shake that stigma. Even when the WWF turned him heel and teamed him with Hercules and Slick, he was still thought of as a jobber. For him to have been taken seriously, the WWF would've had to do a lot more to make him credible than simply turn him heel.
It sounds like if they made Tom Zenk a Horseman.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

rujasu posted:

It's tough to say what would have happened if WCW had kept Austin around. I don't think he would have remained "Stunning" into the nWo era, everyone was changing gimmicks around that time, and it's tough to be "Stunning" when you're going bald.

Didn't he job out to loving Duggan almost immediately when that whole crew came around?

I don't envision a scenario where he would ever have stuck around WCW, but if he did then his ceiling would have probably been similar to Malenko or Eddie. I don't think Hogan or probably Bischoff would have let him get much higher than that, and I don't know that anyone else who was on top around that time would have been pushing for him as a top guy at all.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ganso Bomb posted:

Didn't he job out to loving Duggan almost immediately when that whole crew came around?

I don't envision a scenario where he would ever have stuck around WCW, but if he did then his ceiling would have probably been similar to Malenko or Eddie. I don't think Hogan or probably Bischoff would have let him get much higher than that, and I don't know that anyone else who was on top around that time would have been pushing for him as a top guy at all.

Well yeah, I meant more in the sense of, "What if Hogan/Bischoff didn't decide he was worthless and kept him in the upper-midcard picture?" rather than "What if they didn't bother firing him, but kept him around as part of the Thunder/Saturday Night crew?" In the latter case, I think he would have jumped ship on his own.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

Him and Pillman would have figured something out.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wrestling is not much more than school drama but featuring adults.

As someone who teaches theater at a school for a living, you’re not far off but this is still a little unfair to school-age actors. Usually if nothing else their writing is way more interesting.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So is there a reason a bunch of WWE wrestlers are suddenly being given finishers that were made popular by stars from twenty years ago? Kevin Owens doing the Stunner, Wyatt doing the mandible claw, I'm pretty sure Ziggler has been using a superkick, etc.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So is there a reason a bunch of WWE wrestlers are suddenly being given finishers that were made popular by stars from twenty years ago? Kevin Owens doing the Stunner, Wyatt doing the mandible claw, I'm pretty sure Ziggler has been using a superkick, etc.

theyre hoping that fox will briefly put them in a more mainstream position so they're trying to make facsimiles of the attitude era because it is the only way they know how to appeal to people

kind of like when tna just signed a bunch of late 90s stars because "names from the attitude era" was the only wrestling thing that jogged anyone's brain.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, lovely

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

shiksa posted:

theyre hoping that fox will briefly put them in a more mainstream position so they're trying to make facsimiles of the attitude era because it is the only way they know how to appeal to people

kind of like when tna just signed a bunch of late 90s stars because "names from the attitude era" was the only wrestling thing that jogged anyone's brain.

has there ever been a time period where WWE hasn't treated their fanbase and the general public like barely-functioning idiots

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Low Desert Punk posted:

has there ever been a time period where WWE hasn't treated their fanbase and the general public like barely-functioning idiots

The Attitude Era, of course. Vince said so himself!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ziggler's more because Nick Nemeth is like a cargo cult for Shawn Michaels.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

Ziggler's more because Nick Nemeth is like a cargo cult for Shawn Michaels.
Wow, that's the perfect way to describe him.

Waving palm branches and hoping planes will land, not understanding why the two were connected.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

why do i know zigglers shoot name why was that in my brain?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ziggler being crazy over seems like it happened before the Lex Express at this point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

He used it on WWE TV when he was Chavo's caddy, I think

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Probably fifteen years ago or whenever that cheer squad was around, my friend that still watched always told me about them, then later pointed out Ziggler, who used to be in the squad. Spirit Squad?

Anyway that was a million years ago and gently caress I feel old.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I am irrationally irritated by the way The Spirit Squad was used.

I distinctly remember their first appearance, all smiley and cheer-energy, and the people in the ring were staring at them dumbfounded. It was cool.

And a stable of male cheerleaders who are 'heels who don't know they are heels' being all smiley and lame was pretty cool, (to me at least). And they had trampoline based offense. Which is also pretty cool.

But then, (and forgive me if I have the timeline wrong), they became evil serious heels affiliated with the McMahons and had a feud with a returning DX, where at some stage they were covered in literal poop, and 2 40+ hasbeens were shown to be objectively better, tougher, cooler, and awesomer than the new, formerly hot heel stable.

This sucked all life and heat from them and they never recovered. Were broken up, the young kid, who was actually a decent wrestler if I remember rightly, got a tiny solo push and was quietly future endeavoured, and now the only one left is Ziggler, who had to endure a "I say hello to people, and have a big dick" gimmick before becoming whatever the gently caress he is now.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I thought a stable of male cheeleaders who get clowned on, (because cheeleaders are lame), but occasionally pull out wins because they are half decent wrestlers could have been cool.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It's his Twitter Display Name so whenever someone posts his bad tweets you see it.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Spirit Squad gave us this.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Spirit Squad gave us this.

That's pretty drat cool.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Where can I buy the vest that Ishimori wears as Bone Soldier?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wasn't watching wrestling for most of Santino's run, so what the gently caress was the Honk-O-Meter?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I wasn't watching wrestling for most of Santino's run, so what the gently caress was the Honk-O-Meter?

HTM is the longest reigning IC champion and Santino wanted to surpass his run

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh, it was just referring to Honky Tonk Man? I thought it was something about his snake hand sock or maybe he wore a clown nose.

I loving hate Santino.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Who was the most popular maskless luchadore ever?
Or luchadores if there isn't a clear consensus like El Santo.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That probably was the best thing Santino ever did (not that it's a high bar). He had a counter he'd bring out every show and declare how far along he was to surpassing Honky Tonk Man

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The Honk-a-Meter was loving incredible. I loved hearing him talk about being The Honky Tonky Man's record every week and being The Greatest Intercontinental Champion of "all the times". Plus that was like peak Santino + Beth stuff, which was also pretty great.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I was a fan of Santino referring to him as the Honky Donkey Man.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Santino was out popping William Regal on a Raw in Manchester I went to in 2008, he was great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Who was the most popular maskless luchadore ever?
Or luchadores if there isn't a clear consensus like El Santo.

Perro Aguayo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don't worry, I'm not MassRafTer, I'm not going to insist that Santino was always terrible simply because I personally wasn't a fan of his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Weird shot to take. I'm not him either, but I'll gladly say someone sucks and always has just because I don't like them (Jay White)