Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think it's funny that big guitar bands that are heavily indebted to rock of the 70s-90s are now largely classified as indie

indie as a genre and indie as an actual description of the label the band is on have never been so disparate.

although one of my coworkers whose music tastes defnitely lean towards the "rock" end of things occasionally puts his music on our communal speaker and it's amazing how few of those bands I know despite regularly reading places like PF, Stereogum, Brooklyn Vegan, etc and keeping up with the billboard charts. Like under a rock somewhere there's an entire sub community of rock music that distributes their music pretty much entirely through spotify.

and then I remember that if i kept up with rock like i keep up with rap and pop (i.e. actively seeking them out) i probably would know the stuff more. People's tastes are way more specialized than ever, because there's more music and you can listen to a lot more of exactly what you like instead of just having to settle for the little of what you like you can find plus a lot more stuff you kinda like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
synth pop peaked with the postal service there was the postal service and then 1000 less good postal service albums by other artists

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

The Walrus posted:

synth pop peaked with the postal service there was the postal service and then 1000 less good postal service albums by other artists

Nothing against The Postal Service but CHVRCHES discography was all in the last decade and is extremely good.

As everyone said super hard to pick 10 full albums, but as far as this thread I'd have:

Japandroids - Celebration Rock
LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
Grimes - Visions, Art Angels
CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
Purity Ring - Shrines
Glass Animals - How to Be a Human Being
Future Islands - In Evening Air
The Naked and Famous - Simple Forms

and then a million things I forgot I'm sure.

e: oh and then they do ask for the 10 best songs next. Impossible.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 24, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Presets - Hi-Viz
Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves
Father John Misty - I love you, Honeybear
LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
Broken Bells - Broken Bells
Arthur Moon - Arthur Moon (yeah it just came out I like it that much)
Digitalism - I Love You, dude
Brothers - Black Keys
Mutemath - Odd Soul

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose tastes haven't really moved on from the aughts. also weird, three albums with commas in their title? Two of which are titled "I love you, ___blank"? weird.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 24, 2019

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

The Walrus posted:

Wow how extremely wrong can one person be.

Synthpop peaked with Cut Copy and Empire of the Sun.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

The Walrus posted:

The Presets - Hi-Viz

This was their worst album.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Speaking of M83, his new Digital Shades Vol 2 album is out, it's very cool

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I don't pay attention to every corner of the rock scene but it seems like in the last decade psychedelic rock made a comeback. Indie rock might not be as popular as it was in the 2000s but rock's still kicking.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cyril Sneer posted:

This was their worst album.

I liked it better than Pacifica but both are excellent imo. also empire of the sun are fine but every single song on TPS is a timeless classic and everyone else is just making versions of those songs.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't pay attention to every corner of the rock scene but it seems like in the last decade psychedelic rock made a comeback. Indie rock might not be as popular as it was in the 2000s but rock's still kicking.

Yeah I would have to think one of the Tame Impala albums is in my top ten. But who knows. 2010 alone has at least 6 incredible quality albums (Kanye MBDTF; The Monitor; This is Happening; Halcyon Digest; Teen Dream; Contra).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i do not feel even remotely comfortable with this list of songs, it's really just 10 i like that i thought might show up on the main list, but the albums one is pretty well set.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019

DoubleCakes posted:

This was the point I was trying to make in my earlier post but missed. The only rock music that is actually finding some success outside of mainstream buttrock is psychedic rock right now.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
this is emo erasure and i wont stand for it. emo had a big decade

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Thom and the Heads posted:

this is emo erasure and i wont stand for it. emo had a big decade

Yeah it did. While indie rock and alt rock or whatever died and started being boring, emo had a huge comeback.

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
If you told my Warped Tourn youth-self Panic! At The Disco would still be around and even charting high, I wouldn't have believed it.

Edit: Now what is "emo" - some people call My Chemical Romance and Evanescence emo, that's a far cry from Mineral.

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 24, 2019

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
i know this is the indie thread but on reflection, kendrick lamar probably wins the '10s. Section 80 came out in 2011, GKMC came out in 2012, TPAB came out in 2015, Untitled Unmastered in 2016, and drat in 2017. That's a loving unbelievable run of great records in a single decade. Even the stupid black panther soundtrack album was really good

edit: I was looking way back to 2010 and you know which album still whips rear end? Belle and Sebastian's Write About Love. It actually reminds me a lot of Carrie and Lowell in that it's an artist that has a very distinct ornate sound + contrived subject matter, who purposely toned it down to create a very earnest and genuinely heartfelt record.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 25, 2019

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys - I don't post much but I lurk... I used to be a very big music fan. Back from like... 2001-2006 or so, I was a HUGE fan of Sigur Ros, for instance - I collected their live recordings, had seen them live in 2001 and 2003, and it was like... they felt SO FAR evolved ahead of what everyone else was doing at the time, and it was still pretty underground, I mean - they were still barely filling out ~1,000-2,000-seat venues in North America, but it made the shows that much more intimate and intense.

I felt a little sad when they found semi-mainstream success, even though I was very glad for them and they certainly deserved it! It's hard not to feel nostalgic for that time when you liked a band before their popularity really blew up, you know? After Kjartan Sveinsson left, especially, it felt like something was really missing in both their live shows and the recorded music they put out after that. A band like Sigur Ros... I don't know, it always felt like a delicate balance/chemistry between the four members. Kjartan was the one who was musically trained - he did all the string arrangements, including Staralfur with its palindromic arrangement. He was also was the main keyboard/synth player and multi-instrumentalist. After Kjartan left, they were basically stripped down to a standard Guitar/Bass/Drums three-piece, and it was just like... watching the band go from being really special and multi-faceted to something... less; they kinda lost their sound, IMO.

And now I guess the drummer, Orri, has also left after sexual assault allegations, which is really frustrating and sad as well, which leaves just Jonsi and Georg, the bassist. I somehow don't think Sigur Ros is gonna be performing or releasing new music anytime soon. it's so sad... However!

The COOL thing is that Jonsi and his partner Alex have resurrected Riceboy Sleeps for its 10th anniversary, and just announced a brief 10-date North American tour where they're going to perform the album in full - with a full orchestra and choir - live, and in small/intimate venues.

This is quite a surprise, and SUPER thrilling and excited, because the performance they did of part of the album earlier this year at the Sydney Opera House was really stunningly amazing; Here, I'm just gonna link to it, it's about 22 minutes of bliss, and at the end of the song 'Indian Summer' Jonsi had my jaw dropped wide open with how amazing his vocal abilities still are...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtSom6YxSGI

When I saw this a few months ago, I remember thinking, "poo poo, I'd have given ANYTHING to catch that performance, that's the best 'Sigur Ros' performance (even though it's actually just Jonsi and his partner) that I've seen in over a decade!"

And what happened yesterday? They announced the tour. And it just so happens I am visiting Los Angeles next month for 3 weeks, and it just so happens that they're playing at The Orpheum (the old theater from Last Action Hero :0) there *while I am in LA*!

So yeah, I snapped up some tickets. Felt lucky to get them! If you to their official site you can find the dates and links for tickets. I haven't seeb Sigur Ros in *ages*, but I am so excited to see this show... Even though it's not technically Sigur Ros. But I was always a Jonsi fan first and foremost anyway :3:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 25, 2019

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Crazy for You... when California Nights exists??!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

aotd is blonde

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

^burtle posted:

Crazy for You... when California Nights exists??!

that's about 50% nostalgia and 50% how much i like the simplicity of the music and lyrics and how universal it all is. I love everything Best Coast does but i don't know that they could ever top Crazy for You

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

aotd is blonde

Facts

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Tame Impala's three records and EP are all stellar and in the indie psych realm so I'd say they win the 2010s.

It's hard for me to pick my favorite albums, there are many great ones.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Thom and the Heads posted:

speaking of The Monitor - I'm gonna plug what is currently my AOTY

Prince Daddy and the Hyena - Cosmic Thrill Seekers

Pitchfork opened their review of this album with the following sentence which sold me immediately:

It's a concept album about the lead singer spiraling through a bad acid trip. It's a tight, 40-minute album that I've probably listened through 30+ times since it came out. Vocals may turn off some and a concept album about being a loser 20-something may not be for everyone but I loving love this record.

This album fuckin rocks I've had it on repeat for two days now. Thank you

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Indie rock has been on hiatus since Calla went on hiatus.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Speaking of M83, his new Digital Shades Vol 2 album is out, it's very cool

I *really* didn't like the last two singles but I'm about to give it a shot.

edit: Also this thread page is overwhelming me with nostalgia + music to check out. When I remember back during the past 10 years it seems really fast. But when I use those albums to anchor my memories I'm like "drat that *was* a long time ago."

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

bows1 posted:

This album fuckin rocks I've had it on repeat for two days now. Thank you

Hell yes!! I'm so glad you like it!! It kicks asssss

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not sure what thread this goes in, but it's rock-ish music that doesn't make much money, so...

Desert Sessions Vols. 11 & 12: Arrivederci Despair / Tightwads & Nitwits & Critics & Heels

out October 25

https://pitchfork.com/news/josh-homme-announces-first-new-desert-sessions-album-in-16-years/
https://desertsessions.ffm.to/vols11and12

quote:

After nearly sixteen years since its last entry, the longest-running mix tape in existence, The Desert Sessions will return this October with two stunning new volumes in its already storied catalog, Desert Sessions Vol 11: Arrivederci Despair and Vol 12: Tightwads & Nitwits & Critics & Heels featuring collaborations from Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top), Les Claypool (Primus), Stella Mozgawa (Warpaint), Jake Shears (Scissor Sisters), Mike Kerr (Royal Blood), Carla Azar (Autolux, Jack White), Matt Sweeney, comedian Matt Berry (What We Do in the Shadows), Töôrnst Hülpft and new comer Libby Grace.

Tracklist:

Move Together (lead vocal: Billy F. Gibbons)
Noses in Roses Forever (lead vocal: Joshua Homme)
Far East for the Trees
If You Run (lead vocal: Libby Grace)
Crucifire (lead vocal: Mike Kerr)
Chic Tweetz (vocals: Töôrnst Hülpft, Matt Berry)
Something You Can’t See (lead vocal: Jake Shears)
Easier Said Than Done (lead vocal: Joshua Homme

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The Walrus posted:

its ok but I want them to go back to the more raw sound on their first album sometime please, the anthemic poprock is getting stale

The demo of First on their compilation album is so much better than than the final version, being smoothed and strangled to death from a producer who smashed blur in an audio version of photoshop ~100 times.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

Kramdar posted:

Indie rock has been on hiatus since Calla went on hiatus.

I like that someone knows who Calla is. Great band!

But for me, indie will always be modest mouse circa 1997 lonesome crowded west. 2000s became mainstream indie with the New York bands

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Whatever happened to TV on the Radio?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

YouTube recommendations seemed absolutely determined that I listen to Men I Trust and Tess Parks, they came up so consistently I was just like "loving fine gently caress you I'll listen to this poo poo" and then I do and they're both great. :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6-usDE3aIM

Interesting that Men I Trust, similar to K.A.A.N. who I'm also into, are high profile enough to have millions of youtube views without any sort of review profile at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw_EjNkpCMo

Solomon Gumball
Jul 24, 2019
It's weird how Pitchfork just glosses over bands they would normally cover, like Men I Trust.

TV on the Radio is still around, didn't they have an album a few years ago? I forgot about them, didn't one of the members die too? Might have taken a hit. It did remind me of when they crushed it on Letterman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73qBnuzrjx0

Speaking of - I think a big hit for indie rock might have been Letterman leaving too. Letterman's music department picked up a lot of up-and-comers to make their TV debuts, where as the other late shows you have to be more established or they've done away with the music segment altogether. Plus, Letterman favoured rock. There were some real gems of performances on Letterman and all nearly rock. Future Islands basically got famous overnight due to their performance on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4r6M22oTao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGKDJXW2BNo

Solomon Gumball fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 27, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5C2WVCruPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXQd4MJG16U

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Lid posted:

Whatever happened to TV on the Radio?

They still rock live if you can catch them. Seeing the 10 year anniversary of Dear Science is a top 5 show for me.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
wow didn't realize Sturgill Simpson had a new album out today!

edit - drat its really good too

bows1 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 27, 2019

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

Automatic - Calling It

Single from a new band, can't wait to see what the album sounds like. Like something you'd hear in a spy film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKpbKcjVfTQ

Wild Wing - Momma's got a Brand New Bag

"New Futures" is their debut album, punkish psychedelic rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PwrM2UC1BM

Seratones - Gotta get to know ya

Love this woman's powerful voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLsNLn4JruE

I'm constantly listening to Bagel Radio, have been for 10 years now. I've got so much motherfucking "indie" music. Highly recommend tuning into the Fuzzy Road radio show, which I believe is on Tuesday but gets re-aired throughout the week.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Not sure if it fits here or somewhere else but this new Girl Band album sure is something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdnA7qQCF0k

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

This Sturgill disc is the Black Keys album I actually wanted

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I really loved the most recent Black Keys actually, hate to say it but ditching Danger Mouse was a good move. But yeah this Sturgill is ridiculous. A Good Look is just like a billion genres thrown at a wall and it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

Harminoff posted:

Not sure if it fits here or somewhere else but this new Girl Band album sure is something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdnA7qQCF0k

Really dig Caveat too. Guess I need to listen to the whole album