Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

bolind posted:

Care to qualify that statement?

It's a safety concern. After the tire is broken apart into strips of rubber, steel belt, and nylon cord while doing 60 down the freeway is not the ideal time to find out that it was running too low on air pressure. Best case scenario you pull over and the tire liner doesn't get destroyed and you can get it to a shop for patching. Worst case you, your car, and possibly some unlucky nearby drivers all get to go on a mystical 3D journey through the world of high speed uncontrolled kinetic physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

MetaJew posted:

How much does a set of TPMS sensors cost? If it's not super expensive just go for it.

They’re like $250 for the set! I paid $150 for the wheels! :D

Fabulousity posted:

It's a safety concern. After the tire is broken apart into strips of rubber, steel belt, and nylon cord while doing 60 down the freeway is not the ideal time to find out that it was running too low on air pressure. Best case scenario you pull over and the tire liner doesn't get destroyed and you can get it to a shop for patching. Worst case you, your car, and possibly some unlucky nearby drivers all get to go on a mystical 3D journey through the world of high speed uncontrolled kinetic physics.

And before TPMS tires asploded left and right, killing thousands?

You’re talking to the guy spotting half flat tires on other cars and telling them at spot lights.

bolind fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 16, 2019

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

It's probably not a good thing to tell people on the internet to omit safety features from their vehicle.

Buuuuut on the other hand I wouldnt bother installing them.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I mean, I went for a few years with my RPF1s and the tpms light before I finally got around to disposing the tires from my oem wheels and swapping in the sensors. It's no big deal, it's just nicer to have an alert if my tire pressure goes low and I haven't ch xkes them in a while.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Modern tires it seems like it's harder to feel when the tire is getting low.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Doubly true as sidewalls get narrower.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I like TPMS and it has saved more than one tire through early warning. A tire is drat near flat now before it's noticeable... If I was say on a trip I'd want the earliest warning possible so I could check it and avoid a roadside swap.

Is it just expensive cause it's a new proprietary thing? I thought that replacement TPMS sensors had generally gotten cheap and available at any tire shop now?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

MetaJew posted:

How much does a set of TPMS sensors cost? If it's not super expensive just go for it.

I need some help: I replaced my front struts and endlinks on Saturday. Big loving sledge hammer made the job of separating the strut and knuckle a lot easier. I used the updated Ford strut bearing and top hat that the Mazda forums seemed to recommend.

Anyway, got everything reassembled and drove home from my friend-with-the-lift's house. I heard a slight squeal on right hand turns and assumed I had bent the brake heat shield a bit when hitting the knuckle with a hammer. I could reach through the spoke of my wheel and bend the shield back a little by hand. Then I bounced the driver front fender/suspension and I can hear a very faint squeaking noise like metal on metal or something is binding. I'm not sure what it is and until I can lift the car up and get under it I don't particularly want to drive it.

I have the original LCAs and a little over 90k miles. Could something be binding in those bushings? There aren't a lot of moving parts to check and I torqued everything to spec.

Well either I have a pebble stuck somewhere in the driver side brake rotor, or the wheel hub/bearing is going out... Or maybe it's th CV joint. I have no idea and I'm unhappy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
In case anyone was wondering, somehow I bent the brake dust shield near the bottom of the knuckle and I have no idea how that happened.

Before:

After:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh that's a lovely sound.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was planning on selling the 6 in the near future but a dude just put his with a blown motor up for sale for $1500 and it is full of aftermarket goodies including an Accessport and a bnr s4.

So very tempting.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
That is very tempting. Have you already upgraded your HPFP internals?

I'm constantly tempted to pull the trigger on a bunch of mods.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had Corksport internals but when it became clear to me that I was never going to extensively mod the car I put the stock back in and sold the CS set.

So, recharged my battery and now the car won't lock. Awesome.

Edit: Haha! The trunk latch was stuck! All good now!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 25, 2019

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Mazdas own. Post your best Mazda story or pic

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Pros and cons and opinions of the CX-5 vs the Mazda6 go:

Edit: I'd be buying used, 2017+ preferably. Commuter/dog hauler/possible baby hauler eventually

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
From my recent car shopping experiences, the driving position of the 6 is loving amazing.

That's about all I've got though.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I have a '17 3 touring. I got new tires before the stock Dunlops ran their course. Road noise is still loud. Also lol had to have the brake switch replaced before 45k miles.

But, this stupid steed had no problems going the distance from San Diego, up to Glacier NP, and back down. Here is said stupid steed at Yellowstone.

I was given a '19 Mazda 3 touring when the brake switch was being replaced and oh my god it is so much quieter than the '17.

In conclusion, buy a '19 3 if you can, but the '17 is good enough.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Huh, I wonder if they finally decided to put some sound dampening in the doors and wheel wells.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
So I have a 2017 Mazda 6 which has Apple Carplay on it. It works fine with my XS Max and it works mostly fine with the new 11 Pro, but it has a weird quirk.

On the XSM, when I unplugged it, it would default back to the Mazda infotainment system and whatever station was on previously, normally a local alt rock station. With the 11P, when it unplugs, it now defaults to a Christian pop station that's not even in my presets and isn't like 88.1 (or whatever the lowest number is). Even if I change it after it's will go back to this random Christian pop station whenever I unplug it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

So I have a 2017 Mazda 6 which has Apple Carplay on it. It works fine with my XS Max and it works mostly fine with the new 11 Pro, but it has a weird quirk.

On the XSM, when I unplugged it, it would default back to the Mazda infotainment system and whatever station was on previously, normally a local alt rock station. With the 11P, when it unplugs, it now defaults to a Christian pop station that's not even in my presets and isn't like 88.1 (or whatever the lowest number is). Even if I change it after it's will go back to this random Christian pop station whenever I unplug it.

Is this entire post concocted to humblebrag about having the most expensive iPhone after upgrading from the previous flagship model

There’s not even a question in the post

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Your car thinks you need Jesus.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

Your car thinks you need Jesus.

The car is trying to find the local Zoroastrian station to inform you that Android is awesomely Asha and iOS is dreadfully Druj.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 26, 2019

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Is this entire post concocted to humblebrag about having the most expensive iPhone after upgrading from the previous flagship model

I cross posted on the iPhone thread, wanted to give y'all a heads up and a hallelujah that this could happen to you if you upgrade to the newest iPhone

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

The car is trying to find the local Zoroastrian station but alas Ahura Mazda is nowhere to be found in this wretched dark part of the world.

Maybe OP should ask his Apple iPhone 11 Pro where to find the Zoroastrians station and it can tell him through his Apple AirPods with wireless charging case? If he can’t find it there maybe his Apple MacBook Pro 15” 8-core will be able to do the job?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Why are you so keyed up about this? This isn't a questions thread I was just sharing an experience I had with my Mazda 6.

I'm sorry I made you insecure by mentioning that I got a new iPhone like I do every year since I work on mobile software by profession.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Imagine taking anything seriously on these dead, gay forums

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Imagine taking anything seriously on these dead, gay forums

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?s=20

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Can’t believe that tweet didn’t come from TweetDeck on an Apple Mac Pro with a Pro Display XDR tbh

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The question is obviously implied to be "why does it do that, and how can I stop it?" Stop being a douche.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Huh, I wonder if they finally decided to put some sound dampening in the doors and wheel wells.

They did a lot of work to make the new model quieter (including changing the rear suspension).

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Charles posted:

The question is obviously implied to be "why does it do that, and how can I stop it?" Stop being a douche.

They did a lot of work to make the new model quieter (including changing the rear suspension).

I’d be tempted if I hadn’t decided I’ve got to have something bigger next go-round. My 5-hour-each-way commute will end before it’s time to buy but I suspect the lowered roof line might eat up the inch or two of headroom I have now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Charles posted:

Is it

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Previa_fun posted:

Pros and cons and opinions of the CX-5 vs the Mazda6 go:

Edit: I'd be buying used, 2017+ preferably. Commuter/dog hauler/possible baby hauler eventually

I think you'd want the facelift 6 as it has quite a few visual tweaks (dunno how US model years work but it started selling part way through 2018 here)

Aside from that the mid spec 6 wagon is pretty much the perfect car as far as I'm concerned, more spacious than the CX-5 while not being as ridiculously long as the sedan and while it's an old model there have been enough tweaks over the years to keep it feeling fresh.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Can’t believe that tweet didn’t come from TweetDeck on an Apple Mac Pro with a Pro Display XDR tbh

Sorry, I don't have the Mac Pro, but I do have the latest model 15" MacBook Pro with touchbar and retina display.

If you work real hard one day you too might be able to get nice things when you want them.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sorry, I don't have the Mac Pro, but I do have the latest model 15" MacBook Pro with touchbar and retina display.

If you work real hard one day you too might be able to get nice things when you want them.

I’m posting this from my Acer Aspire Core Duo

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Shut up and post cool Mazda poo poo instead.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I’m posting from my WebTV

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

hattersmad posted:

I’m posting from my WebTV

I thought Lowtax banned the last WebTV user

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
*ssshhhh*

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

I think you'd want the facelift 6 as it has quite a few visual tweaks (dunno how US model years work but it started selling part way through 2018 here)

Aside from that the mid spec 6 wagon is pretty much the perfect car as far as I'm concerned, more spacious than the CX-5 while not being as ridiculously long as the sedan and while it's an old model there have been enough tweaks over the years to keep it feeling fresh.

No wagon here in North America. :-/

Edit: it was Radium who banned them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

MetaJew posted:

Shut up and post cool Mazda poo poo instead.

The Tokyo auto show is about a month away and Mazda will probably have some cool Mazda poo poo to show off. Their first electric vehicle will be there. The EV drive train has been getting testing in CX-30 mule cars but the actual EV itself won't be the CX-30.

If god has decided we've suffered enough in 2019 hell dimension we might see some sort of sport sedan with the new 300+ hp inline six Skyactiv beast.