Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
So, what was up with the King George V class having a 2 gun turret and a 4 gun turret?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

I know the economy was on the rocks and parts of the population were literally freezing to death at the time so it was entirely understandable, but I do think it's a shame that not a single RN battleship survived the post-war cull.

I know she was utterly worn out, badly damaged and barely staying afloat, but think how great it would be if Warspite had been patched up and preserved - a Fisher-era dreadnought, veteran of Jutland, present in virtually every naval theatre of WW2, part of the D-Day fleet and holder of the most battle honours of any RN ship? You could go round Portsmouth Dockyard and see Mary Rose, Victory, Warrior and Warspite in one go - 500 years of naval architecture and development of the battleship.

Or, since Warspite was probably too far gone, what about Vanguard? The last battleship of all?

But, again, I can see why finding the space, money, men and materials to keep a 50,000 ton battleship around for no practical reason. But the really tragic one was the scuttling of Implacable/Duguay-Trouin, the last surviving seventy-four (after the Wellesley became the only ship-of-the-line to be sunk in an airstrike...). She was being restored in the 30s and was still afloat when the decision was made to scuttle her. So there are no surviving examples of the preeminent warship type of the age of sail.

:(
It's a shame how Marshall Plan failed to cover refits of 100+ year old warships.

Also, I think it's a real treat that the French and English wiki articles for that ship use different names.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duguay-Trouin_(1800)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Implacable_(1805)

SimonCat posted:

So, what was up with the King George V class having a 2 gun turret and a 4 gun turret?

Another 4-gun turret would have necessitated more tonnage than was acceptable, so they downsized. That's about it.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 26, 2019

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Universal Carriers are also great icecream makers apparently.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Another 4-gun turret would have necessitated more tonnage than was acceptable, so they downsized. That's about it.

Why not just 2 3 gun turrets?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The HMAS Ovens, an Oberon-class RAN sub is suspended next to the Fremantle Maritime Museum and runs tours. It's pretty cool to see the imprints of 20 cent pieces that were inserted between the hatch to the loading bay and the hull, and pressed into place while it was diving. It's also cool to see that as a person who is 6'1", I'm about five inches too tall to serve on one of those without constantly concussing myself.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SimonCat posted:

A 3-gun B turret would put more weight higher in the ship, raising the metacentric height.

Of course now, if someone knocks out A turret, you’re down to just two guns up front instead of three. Trade offs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

In the Bay Area CA you have a submarine, liberty ship and an Essex class carrier.

I’m going to the Hornet tomorrow for the day.

Hornet is extremely cool, I was on her last year.

My personal favorite of all the museum ships I've been on is the Massachusetts. A ton of the ship was opened up when I was on her... god, 12 years ago now when I was 14, and I remember having a ton of fun exploring spaces I'm still surprised weren't roped off (Such as the turret magazines).

Least favorite is probably Intrepid, really just due to how much work they've done to turn her into a museum as opposed to maintaining the ship. But it's somewhat understandable given how many people visit her each year.

Also a big fan of New Jersey, just due to the fact that she's moored less than ten minutes away from where my grandparents live, so I visited her a bunch growing up.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

MrYenko posted:

A 3-gun B turret would put more weight higher in the ship, raising the metacentric height.

Of course now, if someone knocks out A turret, you’re down to just two guns up front instead of three. Trade offs.

The bigger thing was that the KGV-class was designed under the Washington Naval Treaty, so weight was a huge consideration in the ship's design. Originally they were planning on going with 3 quad turrets, but they reduced the size of the second turret to reduce the overall weight. Of course as it turned out the quad turret ended up being a big boondoggle, as it was overly complex and significantly reduced the amount of space available to work on each gun. The Wiki article goes into it pretty well.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

zoux posted:

Funny and quick story from Forgotten Weapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA3VsMteAxk

I would love to see the look on that French NCOs face when two grunts sheepishly walk up with two rifles permanently stuck together

This is loving hilarious and i wish i could have seen the initial reaction of the two grunts that did it plus their sgts reaction.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Boston (Quincy)

this mortally wounds me

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

zoux posted:

Funny and quick story from Forgotten Weapons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA3VsMteAxk

I would love to see the look on that French NCOs face when two grunts sheepishly walk up with two rifles permanently stuck together
I love how the thesis of "soldiers: small children, but with guns!" is near universal at this point.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

TK-42-1 posted:

This is loving hilarious and i wish i could have seen the initial reaction of the two grunts that did it plus their sgts reaction.

This youtube comment captures it nicely:
"Legend says the two idiots are still doing pushups."

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hornet is extremely cool, I was on her last year.

My personal favorite of all the museum ships I've been on is the Massachusetts. A ton of the ship was opened up when I was on her... god, 12 years ago now when I was 14, and I remember having a ton of fun exploring spaces I'm still surprised weren't roped off (Such as the turret magazines).

Least favorite is probably Intrepid, really just due to how much work they've done to turn her into a museum as opposed to maintaining the ship. But it's somewhat understandable given how many people visit her each year.

Also a big fan of New Jersey, just due to the fact that she's moored less than ten minutes away from where my grandparents live, so I visited her a bunch growing up.

Personal favorite is the USS Missouri, she's kept in a hybrid of her 1944 and 1984 configurations, and belowdecks she has a depressing exhibit right now consisting of letters kamikazes wrote back home before their final mission. You can also see the Arizona Memorial and the Utah Memorial while you're out there, and the USS Bowfin (I think).

Also I live like 15 minutes away so I'm there a lot. Just be respectful when you see a bunch of people in uniform, the aft deck is still used for retirement ceremonies and change of command ceremonies and it drives me nuts when obnoxious tourists keep trying to interrupt.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Don Gato posted:

Personal favorite is the USS Missouri, she's kept in a hybrid of her 1944 and 1984 configurations, and belowdecks she has a depressing exhibit right now consisting of letters kamikazes wrote back home before their final mission. You can also see the Arizona Memorial and the Utah Memorial while you're out there, and the USS Bowfin (I think).

Also I live like 15 minutes away so I'm there a lot. Just be respectful when you see a bunch of people in uniform, the aft deck is still used for retirement ceremonies and change of command ceremonies and it drives me nuts when obnoxious tourists keep trying to interrupt.

Man I'd love to get to Missouri, just need to get out to Hawaii first :v:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Don Gato posted:

It’s still all right to throw things at chiefs doing initiation.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

It’s still all right to throw things at chiefs doing initiation.

Chiefs aren't people, I actively encourage things like that.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

I didn't know about the paddlewheel aircraft carriers until a couple years ago but they are cool as hell. They had no hangar deck to keep planes aboard, so every morning they'd chug out onto Lake Michigan for pilots to learn carrier landing. They qualified 35,000 pilots during the war.

They lost about 90 planes doing that too, no fatalaties though. Buddy of mine works for an underwater salvage company that brings them up every so often, thimk there's like 48 left. If you ever go through midway airport they have a plane hanging in the middle of the terminal, he brought it up from the lakebed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Benagain posted:

They lost about 90 planes doing that too, no fatalaties though. Buddy of mine works for an underwater salvage company that brings them up every so often, thimk there's like 48 left. If you ever go through midway airport they have a plane hanging in the middle of the terminal, he brought it up from the lakebed.

Nice thing too is that it's cold, fresh water, so the planes they've brought up are all pretty drat well preserved. This aircraft was recovered in 2009, for instance, and the damage from the crash is clearly more significant than the effects of sitting on the lakebed for over 60 years:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Yeah the bottom of Lake Michigan is a rich source of displays for air museums around the country, every couple years they pull up another one.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

SimonCat posted:

They would have to design a triple mount turret for that. Not the most difficult thing in the world, but the British had a bad experience with the triple mount 16' guns on the Nelson Class. Not that the quad turrets were reliable, but the design had called for quad mounts so that was what was already lined up.

Twin mount turrets are nice and simple, and the British had plenty of experience with them. Previous RN turrets on their WWI ships were all twin mounts, so Vickers presumably chose the easy way out.

No word on how reliable the twin mount 14' turret on the KGVs were, but no news might be good news on this subject.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 27, 2019

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Anytime I see something weird like that on a battleship I assume it was probably due to some Washington Naval Treaty loophole.

https://twitter.com/madpadre1/status/1177404522806808576

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

villar-perosa as an assault gun from an (ineffective) AAMG is pretty good example

"Wiki posted:

It was also used during World War I by the Italian infantry, with a bipod and a gun shield. Despite its high rate of fire, its atypical design and its weight, it proved to be very effective at short range.[1]

Methings that "high rate of fire" is a feature, not a bug at short range.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

SimonCat posted:

One of the design concepts for the KGVs was 3x3 15" using the same guns as everything except the Nelrods, but that was too much weight up high again. The decision on 14" worked out in the end from what I understand, they were better than the 15" or 16" at dealing with Bismarck's armour scheme and that was the only thing they really had to do.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Not the most difficult thing in the world, but the British had a bad experience with the triple mount 16' guns on the Nelson Class.

Kind of curious what 16 foot guns would look like, not gonna lie :stonk:

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

but, hopefully, not firing children.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

honda whisperer posted:

So from machine gun and mortar chat there seems to be a big disconnect between what weapon a was designed for vs what it was good for.

I'm curious if there are any examples where something was amazing at an unintended role and if anyone realized this and ran with it.

The AK was designed as a submachine gun to complement the SKS rifle. Then someone realized the AK could also fill the SKS' role as the standard service rifle and now there's 100 million of them worldwide.

The British L86 LSW was considered a terrible machine gun, but found success as a semi-auto scoped rifle and was eventually issued for the section marksman role.

The NASAMS made a very capable surface-to-air missile system out of an air-to-air missile.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

feedmegin posted:

A volcanic eruption

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gervasius posted:

but, hopefully, not firing children.
The lead time on ammunition would make them unworkable, and it goes off pretty fast.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arquinsiel posted:

The lead time on ammunition would make them unworkable, and it goes off pretty fast.

At least it can be produced by cottage industry.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

The AK was designed as a submachine gun to complement the SKS rifle. Then someone realized the AK could also fill the SKS' role as the standard service rifle and now there's 100 million of them worldwide.

Still fucks with my mind.

Also, on that subject, de Havilland Mosquito:

Wiki posted:

Originally conceived as an unarmed fast bomber, the Mosquito's use evolved during the war into many roles, including low- to medium-altitude daytime tactical bomber, high-altitude night bomber, pathfinder, day or night fighter, fighter-bomber, intruder, maritime strike, and photo-reconnaissance aircraft. It was also used by the British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC) as a fast transport to carry small, high-value cargoes to and from neutral countries through enemy-controlled airspace.

Unarmed fast bomber was originally a German idea.

Then the Brits build a better one that was much better at that role than anything German ever was.

Out of wood.

And pressed it into nearly every other possible role

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JcDent posted:

And pressed it into nearly every other possible role

Mark XVIII “Tsetse”

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

the ottoman army is interested in your proposal and wants to see a proof of concept

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The “nuclear manhole cover” was only four feet in diameter.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This weekend on Steam, the Total War franchise is on sale.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

JcDent posted:

Unarmed fast bomber was originally a German idea.

Then the Brits build a better one that was much better at that role than anything German ever was.
I challenge the idea of the fast medium bomber as a uniquely German conception. The Britain First (you can tell it was named by the Daily Mail, can't you) was built to be the fastest aircraft around and was adopted as a schnellbomber in 1936 under the name Blenheim. At the time it could outrun all RAF fighters and was essentially of the same concept as the Ju-88, even looking quite similar. By 1940, however, it couldn't outrun much.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Platystemon posted:

The “nuclear manhole cover” was only four feet in diameter.

Does it have any fanart?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FrangibleCover posted:

I challenge the idea of the fast medium bomber as a uniquely German conception. The Britain First (you can tell it was named by the Daily Mail, can't you) was built to be the fastest aircraft around and was adopted as a schnellbomber in 1936 under the name Blenheim. At the time it could outrun all RAF fighters and was essentially of the same concept as the Ju-88, even looking quite similar. By 1940, however, it couldn't outrun much.

I mean the idea of fast bombers goes back to the SB-2 long before that, it's just the SB-2 was designed to outrun fighters a generation back from the Blenheim or Ju-88.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nerd friends, why is that red cross there (it's a Bf 109)

Speaking of which, what does Bf stand for?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

JcDent posted:

Bayerische Flugzeugwerke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

JcDent posted:

Nerd friends, why is that red cross there (it's a Bf 109)

There's a medkit behind that panel.