Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Panfilo posted:

Honestly, if there was some app that could magically diagnose some mystery electrical problem your car is having that would be fantastic.
K.. hold on let me plug in this Bluetooth OBDII reader.... Uhm, it looks like your turn signal doesn't work because your gas cap is loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
boomers love the tv show MASH

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Boomers love keeping their toys in boxes.

"I HAVE A 1968 MANSON FAMILY BARBIE AND ITS STILL IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING. NO I DIDNT ACTUALLY PLAY WITH MY TOY."

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mad Hamish posted:

Asking the room, is that last speech bubble coming from the dad or the horse?

Yes

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Boomers love making jokes about idling cars being bad for the planet as 200,000+ climate Marchers walk past.

Just learned this today.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The other day I got to watch a co-worker earn her boomer stripes. Our parking lot wraps around the rear of a small block of buildings on the corner of an intersection. One exit goes out to each road. Some guys had been hired to repaint the outside wall and fire escape of the building next to the entrance from Main Street. They had a big crane set up that blocked off the one entrance. Boomer lady starts whining at these guys that she needs to get out that entrance. They tell her they're sorry but she'll have to go out the other side. That's when she whines "I don't WANT to go over to that road. I gotta get to THIS road!" If she drove out the other way she could make two quick right turns and it would add maybe thirty seconds max to her trip. The painters then mockingly told her to have a nice day as she looks at me like I agree that they're being horrible monsters. Another example of why the few boomers left in our office are the biggest wastes of skin.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oscar Wild posted:

Boomers love keeping their toys in boxes.

"I HAVE A 1968 MANSON FAMILY BARBIE AND ITS STILL IN THE ORIGINAL PACKAGING. NO I DIDNT ACTUALLY PLAY WITH MY TOY."

That's not exactly true, your hypothetical boomer didn't actually buy said 1968 Manson Family Barbie in 1968, it was bought in 1998 at a garage sale as an investment.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gallow posted:

The other day I got to watch a co-worker earn her boomer stripes. Our parking lot wraps around the rear of a small block of buildings on the corner of an intersection. One exit goes out to each road. Some guys had been hired to repaint the outside wall and fire escape of the building next to the entrance from Main Street. They had a big crane set up that blocked off the one entrance. Boomer lady starts whining at these guys that she needs to get out that entrance. They tell her they're sorry but she'll have to go out the other side. That's when she whines "I don't WANT to go over to that road. I gotta get to THIS road!" If she drove out the other way she could make two quick right turns and it would add maybe thirty seconds max to her trip. The painters then mockingly told her to have a nice day as she looks at me like I agree that they're being horrible monsters. Another example of why the few boomers left in our office are the biggest wastes of skin.

They sure do love crying about wasted time, even if they have plenty and don't have anywhere to be, or are actively ruining the thing they're doing with their whining.

Going out to a nice family dinner? Better spend the entire ride over almost shrieking about the roadwork and traffic and kill the mood entirely. The unemployed man is so irritated by this waste of his precious time that he'll ruin everything for the two people in the car who have full time jobs. Probably will lash out at someone later on too because he's just so angry.

But when there is no roadwork, oh man what are they spending the gas tax on? It's a scam. Look at how bad the roads are.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
A boomer getting a haircut at the barbershop I usually go to was complaining about kids not learning cursive being part of a plan to dumb them down. I didn't say anything but I thought of this thread. I had to learn cursive in third grade and it loving sucked. How does learning to write fancy translate to practical intelligence anyway?

He went on to rant about how the way technology is going people "won't even have to think" in the future.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Goodguy3 posted:

A boomer getting a haircut at the barbershop I usually go to was complaining about kids not learning cursive being part of a plan to dumb them down. I didn't say anything but I thought of this thread. I had to learn cursive in third grade and it loving sucked. How does learning to write fancy translate to practical intelligence anyway?

He went on to rant about how the way technology is going people "won't even have to think" in the future.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/08/ballpoint-pens-object-lesson-history-handwriting/402205/

I've heard this a lot from boomers and other olds and i've used the above article to shut (some of) them up. Cursive only makes sense in a world of fountain pens, it's actually annoying and wasteful when using ballpoint/gel pens.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I literally haven't written in cursive besides my signature in decades. Meanwhile these boomers bitching about the lack of cursive are hunting and pecking while 3rd graders are typing 50 wpm.

My narcissistic boomer uncle tries to say he can type just as fast with hunting and pecking as someone that can touch type.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

The Little Death posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/08/ballpoint-pens-object-lesson-history-handwriting/402205/

I've heard this a lot from boomers and other olds and i've used the above article to shut (some of) them up. Cursive only makes sense in a world of fountain pens, it's actually annoying and wasteful when using ballpoint/gel pens.
I've been told by British people that printing and using pencils are both things that only children should do, but I don't know if that's a UK Boomer thing or what. I do know that it's a ridiculous opinion. (Why would anyone ever use a pen when pencils exist?)

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Leon Einstein posted:

I literally haven't written in cursive besides my signature in decades. Meanwhile these boomers bitching about the lack of cursive are hunting and pecking while 3rd graders are typing 50 wpm.

My narcissistic boomer uncle tries to say he can type just as fast with hunting and pecking as someone that can touch type.
Another thing boomers like - insisting that you have to take a keyboarding class and learn to keep your fingers in the correct places in order to touch type. My mom took classes back in high school and did typing work for $1 a page regularly when I was a kid. She could type about 100 wpm with few mistakes.

I use about 6 fingers for typing and don't always put them in the same places. But I can still touch type 90 wpm with about 95% accuracy (which is as good as you need these days since fixing mistakes is easy). I've never taken a typing class. Turns out being on the internet all day for 20 years will teach you touch typing regardless of how you do it!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Also when you look at older handwriting examples and even current examples on twitter by smug boomers, It's done on blank sheets of paper. Or lined paper with wide margins.

Try to make your handwriting look nice on college ruled paper for a full page. Your hand will get lazy. Little 'a' become little 'u'. 'd' become 'ol,' and the second they look back at a double 'oo' they will see that they look different.

They are notes they're meant to be read again, and not having a person sit there wondering if the word is boomer or Loosnin.

Hand writing can be hard to read even when it is nice.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/da/BL_Royal_Vincent_of_Beauvais.jpg

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Goodguy3 posted:

In the mid 90's in 3rd and 4th grade we wasted a lot of time learning cursive. Then when I hit 5th grade in the same school district the attitude went 180 and became, "Print everything. If you try to use cursive we'll chop your miserable little hands off."

Another fun one is the pledge of allegiance. The whole idea is loving whackadoodle when you give it the slightest thought but it's another thing boomers flip out about when they find out us backwards youngins aren't doing the needful anymore.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 27, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fabulousity posted:

Another fun one is the pledge of allegiance. The whole idea is loving whackadoodle when you give it the slightest thought but it's another thing boomers flip out about when they find out us backwards youngins aren't doing the needful anymore.

I was at a baseball game and putting toppings on my hot dog during the national anthem. Some middle aged lady grabbed my arm and told me to stop and wait until after the song was over. I don't remember my exact words to her but there were lots of forms of the word 'gently caress' in there.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fabulousity posted:

In the mid 90's in 3rd and 4th grade we wasted a lot of time learning cursive. Then when I hit 5th grade in the same school district the attitude went 180 and became, "Print everything. If you try to use cursive we'll chop your miserable little hands off."

I had an opposite experience about a decade earlier - 3rd and 4th grade taught cursive but it was kind of half-assed, then in 5th grade the teacher was some kind of extremist cursive nazi and dedicated over 50% of the entire school year to drilling us on perfect cursive over and over and over again

literally never used it in my adult life other than my signature which is just the letter J

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fabulousity posted:

It wasn't print for me, but about 7th grade, middle school switched from handwritten reports in cursive to "type everything, we even have computer labs for you to use if you don't have one at home."

Fabulousity posted:

Pledge of Allegiance disappeared about the same time. I really don't remember when it disappeared, it was just gone, and no one I knew gave a poo poo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the pledge of allegiance is creepy as hell and i remember i once looked into whether that sort of thing was "normal" in any other country and iirc the only other one was like north korea, of course

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Earwicker posted:

the pledge of allegiance is creepy as hell and i remember i once looked into whether that sort of thing was "normal" in any other country and iirc the only other one was like north korea, of course

To defeat the commies, we had to learn to think like them.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fabulousity posted:

They stopped reciting the Pledge at St Louis Park City council meetings because why would you still do that?

Then the boomers caught wind of a city full of LIEBRALS DISRESPECTING ARE FLAG!!!

They brought it back to shut up the protesters and Trump.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Free people don't need to pledge their allegiance.

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
I watched the film Time Bandits for the first time today. The main kid's parents are the platonic ideal of British boomers, it was a little shocking to see how aware of it people were even in the 80s.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

LabyaMynora posted:

Free people don't need to pledge their allegiance.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That reminds me how Olympus has Fallen is the ultimate boomer movie. It even has one of the Secretaries reciting the pledge of allegiance as she's taken away to be shot. That's more boomer than the scene in red dawn.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I work with a lot of older people who are losing their vision, and one thing that frustrates them is that they can’t write in a straight line or read their handwriting anymore—they’re still trying to write grocery lists with tiny little cursive writing and getting mad when they can’t read their own writing. When I would print letters and words out extra large they could read it just fine, so naturally I would suggest to them that they print extra large rather than write in cursive if they want to write down a note or something, and probably about 60% of the time they look at me like I just asked them to drown a puppy and say “you want me to print????”

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I was motivated to Google the Pledge of Allegiance and just learned that the 'under God' section was strong-armed into it in freaking 1954. So getting upset when people don't say it that way is literally a Boomerism and only a Boomerism.

'indivisible' is the original wording, all the way back from the 1890s.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 27, 2019

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I was motivated to Google the Pledge of Allegiance and just learned that the 'under God' section was strong-armed into it in freaking 1954. So getting upset when people don't say it that way is literally a Boomerism and only a Boomerism.

yeah it was part of the cold war

but even without the "under god" part, the entire idea of making children pledge allegiance to a nation is still some creepy nationalistic bullshit and im glad its less common now

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Under God was also added to our bills and coins then. Got to fight those commies.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

It wasn't print for me, but about 7th grade, middle school switched from handwritten reports in cursive to "type everything, we even have computer labs for you to use if you don't have one at home."

Pledge of Allegiance disappeared about the same time. I really don't remember when it disappeared, it was just gone, and no one I knew gave a poo poo.

I got sent to the principal's office about my poor handwriting in 3rd grade in 1993 and he was like "what are you going to do, type everything for the rest of your life?" and I just said yeah I was.

Bitch it's 2005 I type my phone calls

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Beastie posted:

Under God was also added to our bills and coins then. Got to fight those commies.

My boomer dad says that the fact that "in God we trust" on our money means we're a Christian nation. Not sure how to even argue with that logic.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

SwitchbladeKult posted:

RE: work for leisure- This is one of the few Boomerism I kinda understand. I like to keep busy and building things is fun, at least to me. The main issue I have with the way Boomers are always doing it in the most wasteful way possible, ex: taking care of a patch of grass that doesn't produce anything useful or even interesting to look at. There is nothing inherently wrong with working in the yard for fun but grow some vegetables or flowers or something other than grass!

Although I doubt Boomers do it for fun of doing it. I suspect what they find fun is having status.

It's absolutely this. You would not believe how pissed off it made my neighbors when I was like "nah, I'm letting the grass die. Next spring I'm going to turn over the surviving bits and put in raised vegetable beds".

There isn't any HOA old man gently caress offffff. HOAs are another thing boomers love because it allows them to build these sterile homogeneous neighborhoods that are unappealing to everyone except them.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Leon Einstein posted:

My boomer dad says that the fact that "in God we trust" on our money means we're a Christian nation. Not sure how to even argue with that logic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
That's another thing Boomers love, homogeny. That's why they hate fun, travel, good food and POC.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

SwitchbladeKult posted:

That's another thing Boomers love, homogeny. That's why they hate fun, travel, good food and POC.

Stirring fruit-in-the-bottom yogurt until there's no variation in flavor or texture.

filling the ocean with tiny plastic sticks they used to stir their coffee because it would be stupid to wait 30 seconds for the creamer to naturally mix in.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's creamy and it's sexy and is fruit and it's in the middle

fruit in the middle shakalaka

-DAG

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/BillHolohanSolr/status/1177631604186996737

this twitter thread is literally just a boomer email

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Kanine posted:

https://twitter.com/BillHolohanSolr/status/1177631604186996737

this twitter thread is literally just a boomer email

Wow I thought history was totally useless and unimportant but this critical information has really changed my opinion of the whole thing.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Crowned posted:

we were still being forced to do the pledge when i graduated high school in 2014. i got suspensions multiple times for refusing to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Kanine posted:

we were still being forced to do the pledge when i graduated high school in 2014. i got suspensions multiple times for refusing to do it

My high school was doing the same. This was going back to 04. I remember kids getting in trouble if they didn’t stop in the hallway For it.