Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bones 4 beginners posted:

Hey whoever recommended Gonjiam I just wanted to say, the noise that one girl makes will follow me til I die thanks for that.

Honestly, I've blocked a lot of it out but if it's the bit I'm thinking of (woods?) yeah, AAAAAAAA is the noise I make when I remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Moon Atari posted:

Too bad, I'm taking the bait. The Thing clearly has limited experience with humans or else it would have already conquered. If it is still alive at the end it is in a position of having barely made it out of its encounter with the Norwegians alive, and is on the absolute brink of dying in its second encounter. With only one body left it isn't going to take any chances. It needs to look like a presentable corpse in order to be collected without suspicion by the next crew to come along. If it fights the last survivor it risks either complete defeat or being blown into a grotesque form that will either be torched or isolated quickly. You could even interpret this as a brain bug style "It's afraid", if the Thing can be considered to have emotions.

If either MacReady or Childs are the Thing, than both thing and man are in a position of having fought the other to breaking point and lacking the remaining energy or courage to finish the job for sure. But while we may see that as a win for the Thing, who gets to go another round after being defrosted, from the perspective of a creature like the Thing it is probably more like a complete draw. It is a creature that is seemingly one consciousness that can be divided into separate parts. It might see man in the same way, such that when it revives it is just restarting its battle with a fresh segment of the man creature's form having fought the last parts of its form to a stand still.
honestly this is like the third time I've posed that question on the forums and the first time anybody has attempted to explain it to me
that makes sense though

I guess
a) I've always assumed The Thing was not sentient in the sense that we are; it's intelligent to an extent, but not thinking abstractly beyond its desire to spread
b) I've always assumed it spread like an infection. (and, since it's autonomous down to the cellular level, and the only way to kill it is immolation, even a small amount of Thing poses a continual threat)
neither of which is necessarily true

so I always interpreted Childs' line about "the fire's got the heat up all over the place.... but it won't last"
to mean like "The Thing is on the ropes, but it won't be forever. also we are going to freeze to death. if you've got anything left in the tank, now's the time"
and MacCready's "if either of us has any surprises for the other, neither of us is in any position to do much about it"
to mean "if I were The Thing I could just eat you, and if you were The Thing, you could just eat me"
so there's this bitter irony that they can finally trust each other, but only because they're both so terminally hosed that even if they didn't trust each other it wouldn't make a difference

but
the lines could also be interpreted as some pretty masterful double talk
Childs' line could also mean "if I'm The Thing, and I'm not saying I am, congrats, you kicked my rear end, dude. but it's not over yet. what!ve you got?" OR "if you're The Thing, I really need to kill you while I still can. what've you got?"
and MacCready's line could also mean "if you're the thing, I can't kill you, because I just got my rear end kicked, and if I'm the thing, you can't kill me, because you just got your rear end kicked, so what the gently caress"

so that's kind of interesting, thank you for explaining movies to me 🙏

Cubone fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 30, 2019

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

sporklift posted:

Re: Thing Talk

I really enjoyed this short story from the alien's perspective.

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

That rules. I should read some more Peter Watts since I also really liked Blind Sight.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Moon Atari posted:

That rules. I should read some more Peter Watts since I also really liked Blind Sight.

Oh, you've gotta read Echopraxia, then- it's very much in the spirit of this thread, even!

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Cubone posted:

so that's kind of interesting, thank you for explaining movies to me 🙏

My hot take is that more people have put effort into finding meaning in the ending of that film than John Carpenter ever put in to "ehhh, gently caress it, let's keep it ambiguous".

obviously I fucked it
Oct 6, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

Did anyone see the The Changeling? Another movie about a haunting and it's really good.

Very suspenseful horror and George C. Scott's performance is just great.

That’s one of my all time favorite movies, ever.
“ Are you the child killed by the coal cart?”
Pure magic.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I always liked The Others (the Nicole Kidman one). Apart from the twist I liked the perspective of the old lady ghost talking about how they will have to learn to share. Also the line 'If you see a ghost you say "hello".' line that seems like nothing on first viewing but ends up being both ironic in multiple ways and good advice all at the same time.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

deported to Canada posted:

My hot take is that more people have put effort into finding meaning in the ending of that film than John Carpenter ever put in to "ehhh, gently caress it, let's keep it ambiguous".

right see but I didn't understand how it was ambiguous in the first place and so that was what we were talking about, so that take doesn't really apply

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

I live about 15 minutes away from the mall where they filmed Dawn of the Dead.

It's great because you can still see the basic layout from the movie to this day. And this past year they did a "Living Dead Weekend" at the mall where they played the movie and had a bunch of people from the movie show up and talk about how insane/cool it was to work on the film. At the end of the day they played "The Gunk" (that song from the end credits) over the loudspeakers.

Hey no poo poo, where you at? I live out past Forbes Hospital. This is the closest I've ever seen another goon! I was super bummed when they got rid of the fish pond in the mall, I remember thinking it was fantastical when I was a little kid - the sweet smell of the trees, the lighted pathways, the surprise fish under the little bridge. Magic in a mall!

I did a tour of local malls a few years ago during football season (I hate football) and there were quite a few that seemed deserted enough to host a new horror movie. There was one with giant ramps alongside their stairs and the whole wing was either closed stores or empty and utterly deserted on Sunday afternoon.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hereditary is the best horror movie ever made.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Shibawanko posted:

Kairo (Pulse) is the scariest movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsuUS2lcSk4 you can watch the whole thing on youtube with English subs.

I really like that one, but I'm gonna meekly claim that this is one of two Asian horror movies (The other is The Ring) where the American remake is better that the OG version.

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
I've pretty much exhausted Netflix horror category, and sci fi, so if someone has suggestions on what to join next, please let me know.

Trollhunter (2010) is a good horror movie that isn't gory. Devil's Pass (2013) was loving fantastic and not gory but very very suspenseful, I watched it twice in a row. I'm now fascinated by the Dyatlov Pass incident. Also, the Chinese movie The Midnight After (2014) is worth a watch.

The Invitation (2016) was really good and is on my watch again list. The ending is chilling.

As for gory, Cabin Fever has a special place in my heart. That bathtub scene probably resonates with any woman ever. Would You Rather (2012) was a stunner.

There are a lot of movies like this out there, I wish I could remember more details, but I think it was a film crew set out to explore an abandoned soviet building that was (obviously) haunted. I know it had jail cells in it, and I remember really liking it, but can't for the life of me think of what it was called. And it would have been viewed years ago on Netflix, so not even scrolling through Viewing Activity has helped.

unexplodable
Aug 13, 2003
A couple recent ones

A Dark Song (2016) loving rules and is the coolest portrayal of magic I've seen. It's like top three of the decade for me.

The Clovehitch Killer (2018) was somehow super chilling and charming both. One of the great serial killer flicks.

Pyewacket (2017) had a scene that horrified me and a scene that actually scared me. It isn't an all-time favorite but those things hardly ever happen after you watch a lot of horror.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

That70sHeidi posted:

Devil's Pass (2013) was loving fantastic and not gory but very very suspenseful, I watched it twice in a row. I'm now fascinated by the Dyatlov Pass incident. Also, the Chinese movie The Midnight After (2014) is worth a watch.

Just curious, did this movie give an explanation for what happened to the original hikers? I read the book Dead Mountain awhile back, and the author determined that the student hiking group went into a crazed panic due to a special auditory effect caused by the wind and the shape of the mountains

unexplodable
Aug 13, 2003

a new study bible! posted:

Hell yeah, it's gotta at least be way up there. It's got it all folks.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My days and nights are completely reversed right now so I've been watching a lot of movies in the wee hours of the night/morning since there isn't quite a lot to do at 4am.

Last night:

Friday the 13th The New Blood
Friday the 13th VII
Friday the 13th VIII Jason takes Manhattan (a personal favorite) One sided albeit losing boxing match. "Take your best shot." Jason punches head off.
Jason X (another personal favorite since it's quite self-aware)
Poltergeist

I like all of the Jason movies. Freddy is my favorite but I only like 1, 3, and New Nightmare although 2 is pretty good for funny reasons. Jason is much more campy which adds a lot of humor, intentionally or not.

I want to watch a few that I've never seen before but I always have these movies on in the background since I'm browsing the forums or playing a game or something else. I really want to pay attention. I want to see Near Dark that someone mentioned earlier but I want to remember it.

I'll probably throw a few more on tonight that I've also seen 100 times before. We'll see.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe it was because I was 11 when it came out but besides the abysmal ending, Signs has always stuck with me. The soundtrack is downright horrifying and the slow build of alien glimpses building to the news footage scene is so unsettling.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Tim Whatley posted:

Maybe it was because I was 11 when it came out but besides the abysmal ending, Signs has always stuck with me. The soundtrack is downright horrifying and the slow build of alien glimpses building to the news footage scene is so unsettling.

I've had a fear of alien abduction for as long as I can remember and that scene with the South American home movie was so good and suspenseful that I couldn't sleep for several nights afterward.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

¡Vamanos children!

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

a new study bible! posted:

I watched the first 45 minutes and was snoozing the whole time. The only freaky thing that happened until hen was the head biting, and even that was pretty boring.

Also, the sound mix was complete poo poo. For a movie that's a talker, going from "SUSPENSEFUL BLARE" directly to a hushed whispered conversation that you can't hear even at max volume, but sinc3e this i a Slow-Burn talker, that can't mean anything important :rolleyes:

My favorite scary movie is Aliens. Surprised nobody mentioned it yet. That is a slow-burn start that's actually interesting.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

unexplodable posted:

A Dark Song (2016) loving rules and is the coolest portrayal of magic I've seen. It's like top three of the decade for me.

That ending. The Angel's voice.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

defaultluser posted:

My favorite scary movie is Aliens. Surprised nobody mentioned it yet. That is a slow-burn start that's actually interesting.

I like the cut of your jib sir.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

defaultluser posted:

I watched the first 45 minutes and was snoozing the whole time. The only freaky thing that happened until hen was the head biting, and even that was pretty boring.

I don't understand. Your comment seems to imply there are horror movies where something does happen in the first 45 minutes, but that would be ridiculous. :raise:

Whenever possible I start horror movies at 1.25 speed. Especially all the ones that feature a group of young adults going on a trip somewhere -- your characters are trash, we all know they're trash, nobody wants to watch 30 minutes of boring road trip or whatever before the story actually starts.

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lots of great classics already called out. Someone also mentioned the Sacrament so I figured I'd give some other Ti West movies some love: Innkeepers and House of the Devil.

Neither is perfect, but if you enjoy slow burns they both have a ton of charm.

Some other good/interesting horror flicks I don't think I saw mentioned: Faust, Deep Red, Apostle, Black Sunday, Blood on Satan's Claw.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

defaultluser posted:

Also, the sound mix was complete poo poo. For a movie that's a talker, going from "SUSPENSEFUL BLARE" directly to a hushed whispered conversation that you can't hear even at max volume, but sinc3e this i a Slow-Burn talker, that can't mean anything important :rolleyes:

You should try and see hereditary with a really great stereo system, the sound mix was magical in theaters. Like they even made the 'popping' seem to come from just over your shoulder a few times. But it also sounds like horror based more on discomfort and people falling apart mentally might not be your thing.

Kazak posted:

I asked in another thread and got a few decent suggestions and I'll ask again here: can anybody recommend good shows or movies about social breakdown at the onset of some great catastrophe or horror event?

The beginning of 28 Days Later does a great job alluding to it, I Am Legend and World War Z touch on it, Children of Men is probably the best one I've seen but it's more of a thriller than the more direct kind of horror I'm hoping for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly7Laj8Yp6w
The original dawn of the dead does a pretty good job of explaining it. But it's also a little subtle/stuff you gotta pick up from what characters say in passing. At first society doesn't really break down just from zombies. We adjust and start making rules for corpse collection. But things start to break down when folks stop working together and trusting the system, or abuse the system to protect themselves.
There's the early bust where they find a tenement has had a zombie outbreak because the people who lived there wouldn't turn over their dead and dying. Then there's specific casual conversation about the well off (and cops and first responders) fleeing the cities to private estates or holing up and not showing up to shifts to help keep things in check.
There's a perfect example of the greed when the early protagonists are discussing escape plans they deny having cigarettes when asked to share, but then are casually puffing away in the next scene as they abandon their posts.
Zombies don't overwhelm society in Romero's movies, humans gently caress up and act selfish and nature does the rest.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Cubone posted:

right see but I didn't understand how it was ambiguous in the first place and so that was what we were talking about, so that take doesn't really apply

To you maybe. Not everything is about you though.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That70sHeidi posted:

I've pretty much exhausted Netflix horror category, and sci fi, so if someone has suggestions on what to join next, please let me know.

Trollhunter (2010) is a good horror movie that isn't gory. Devil's Pass (2013) was loving fantastic and not gory but very very suspenseful, I watched it twice in a row. I'm now fascinated by the Dyatlov Pass incident. Also, the Chinese movie The Midnight After (2014) is worth a watch.

The Invitation (2016) was really good and is on my watch again list. The ending is chilling.

As for gory, Cabin Fever has a special place in my heart. That bathtub scene probably resonates with any woman ever. Would You Rather (2012) was a stunner.

There are a lot of movies like this out there, I wish I could remember more details, but I think it was a film crew set out to explore an abandoned soviet building that was (obviously) haunted. I know it had jail cells in it, and I remember really liking it, but can't for the life of me think of what it was called. And it would have been viewed years ago on Netflix, so not even scrolling through Viewing Activity has helped.

I recognise that film! - Entity (2012) it's very atmospheric
Edit: I was going to post a link to the trailer but imo it's a pretty bad representation of what the film is actually like.

Trollhunter is weird but great and I also really liked Devils Pass

I don't think Pontypool has been mentioned yet? great beginning, but I feel like it loses its way towards the end, like they just didn't know how to finish it.

And I just remembered Fritt Vilt aka Cold Prey - its not supernatural, more like its a slasher film for people who normally hate slasher films. It's really good.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 1, 2019

Cubone
May 26, 2011

deported to Canada posted:

To you maybe. Not everything is about you though.
what

what's to me

what are you even saying

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

That70sHeidi posted:

Hey no poo poo, where you at? I live out past Forbes Hospital. This is the closest I've ever seen another goon! I was super bummed when they got rid of the fish pond in the mall, I remember thinking it was fantastical when I was a little kid - the sweet smell of the trees, the lighted pathways, the surprise fish under the little bridge. Magic in a mall!

I did a tour of local malls a few years ago during football season (I hate football) and there were quite a few that seemed deserted enough to host a new horror movie. There was one with giant ramps alongside their stairs and the whole wing was either closed stores or empty and utterly deserted on Sunday afternoon.

Out in Murrysville here. And yeah, lot of childhood memories of that pond. I loved feeding the fish and just pretending it was a little section of the jungle growing in the mall.

To add to the Hereditary discussion - I absolutely loved it, but can understand why someone wouldn't.

It's equal parts horror and despair. You don't want to watch this as part of a fun horror movie night, or on a date, or anything like this. But if you want to see a family completely fall apart in front of you while you get some good scares? Hell yeah watch the movie.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

KAIDAN was the first major Japanese release into North American theaters in the mid-60s and for suspenseful ghost stories it still holds up pretty well today. Four classic Japanese spooky tales, minimalist soundtrack, phenomenal set dec for the time. Bought it on the criterion collection and I make the effort to watch it every Halloween season.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Metaline posted:

My last roommate was one of the set carpenters and I was living with him when the movie came out. He was exceedingly proud of the building work on that shoot and it was so exciting to go see it in the theatre. I love seeing compliments on it in the wild, so thank you!

Are you still in contact with him?
If so, please tell him that his work is really appreciated.

The Thing is my all-time favorite movie do I was really skeptical about the prequel. I was delighted that the designers and builders obviously put a lot of love into the movie.

Edit: For fucks sake, in my previous post, when I said Jules, I meant Childs. Christ...

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 1, 2019

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Inzombiac posted:

Are you still in contact with him?
If so, please tell him that his work is really appreciated.

The Thing is my all-time favorite movie do I was really skeptical about the prequel. I was delighted that the designers and builders obviously put a lot of love into the movie.

Seriously, this. I love The Thing, and I was initially disappointed in the prequel when it came out because of expectations. However, I rewatched it recently, right after the original and you can really see it as a labor of love. I excused the behavior of the monster as learning the best way to survive this environment and manipulate the people, but the overall writing was much weaker than the original.

Still, it's a great watch if you love The Thing, and you know Kate is still out there in a snowplow freezing to death while MacReady is sitting next with Child's also freezing to death. There was mention of a Russian camp, let's kickstart a trilogy already!

As for the MacReady vs Child's ending, I never considered one of them was actually the thing, because that ruins a powerful ending. These two dudes gave everything they could to stop the monster. They technically saved the world (though living cells of the alien probably survived somewhere), and after all that, their prize is freezing to death. Still the happiest possible ending they could've achieved given the situation.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
The practical effects team that made the Thing prequel went a did another movie called Harbringer Down with Lance Henrikson, it's about evil tardigrades, the practical effects are really good but the movie is a mess, if you want more good recent horror practical effects, may I recommend Stung? Not a good movie but very good effects.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The Thing is basically an impossible movie to follow, I thought the prequel was entirely watchable but still in the vein of "did this really NEED to be made?"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mordor She Wrote posted:

The practical effects team that made the Thing prequel went a did another movie called Harbringer Down with Lance Henrikson, it's about evil tardigrades, the practical effects are really good but the movie is a mess, if you want more good recent horror practical effects, may I recommend Stung? Not a good movie but very good effects.

I was mega hyped for Harbinger Down. Wow, it was... good to look at, I guess?
The only thing I really remember is that I laughed my rear end off when the VERY OBVIOUS Russian lady betrayed the team.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The Thing is basically an impossible movie to follow, I thought the prequel was entirely watchable but still in the vein of "did this really NEED to be made?"

maybe I'm tainted by the RLM review but I'm pretty sure I just thought it was ok when I saw in theaters and after they pointed out that its just a worse version of the original movie, it makes me angry.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Seems I need to watch The Thing then, judging by this thread?

Is there a reason NOT to watch it?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

Seems I need to watch The Thing then, judging by this thread?

Is there a reason NOT to watch it?

I mean if you had 2 hours left on earth you might want to spend it with loved ones or something, but I'd still say watch The Thing.

naem
May 29, 2011

I just watched Midsommar and like Hereditary it was pretty clever and original that the plot and story structure was crazy poo poo happens and yep! gently caress you!

like, there is suspense and mystery because gradually WHAT IS HAPPENING happens but it’s not explained externally, you the viewer experience it all first hand in real time along with the protagonists

or rather the protagonists are secretly the bad guys all along

it’s a lot more realistic than “the scooby gang solves a mystery” which most horror movies have an element of. the scooby gang gets bred and sacrificed by cultists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Midsommar is probably my favorite movie this year, it sucks I can't find a clean version of the music from the maypole scene.