Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought Bernie was considered leftists or is his fundraising bad?

He's trying to say that rich people don't have disproportionate power in our political system. It's very dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The point is: "leftists say politicians don't go left because they're paid not to, but Bernie gets good fundraising", a point which is technically coherent but falls apart when you point out that Bernie is deliberately trying a new stratefy of fundraising

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

(I actually think there is a point to be made that many politicians are centrists for reasons other than raw campaign contributions but thats not his argument)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
but that’s a single data point, you can’t extrapolate anything from that

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
preview of hot takes from 2020

There's Nothing We Could Have Done to Prevent This Mass Shooting (National Review)

"Woke" Is a Slur (Jezebel)

Restricting a Corporation's Right to Lobby Is Like Restricting a Woman's Right to Choose (Wall Street Journal)

There’s Nothing We Could Have Done to Prevent This Mass Shooting (Fox News)

Here's How The Failure to Impeach Trump Is Actually Good for Democrats (FiveThirtyEight)

There’s Nothing We Could Have Done to Prevent This Mass Shooting (The Onion)

It's Bernie Bros' Fault Warren Lost to Trump (MSNBC)

There’s Nothing We Could Have Done to Prevent This Mass Shooting, Which Didn't Happen (InfoWars)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/Heidi__Matthews/status/1178680115062038529

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Of loving course it was some jackoff in the Philosophy department. They're all loving shitheads and perverts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/rachelvmckinnon/status/1178792241365753862

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

academia sucks

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

what kind of a shithead puts "dr." in their twitter handle on account of having a degree

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/gvtsgvtsgvts/status/1178983223508062208?s=20

lmao

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Twitter person who took two philosophy classes: More philosophy education would mean people like Musk wouldn't have such idiotic science fetishes

Philosophy professor: * busy sexually harassing a teenager in a cigar room*

(See also: English, History, and the rest)

Its Coke posted:

preview of hot takes from 2020

There's Nothing We Could Have Done to Prevent This Mass Shooting (National Review)

"Woke" Is a Slur (Jezebel)

Restricting a Corporation's Right to Lobby Is Like Restricting a Woman's Right to Choose (Wall Street Journal)

There’s Nothing We Could Have Done to Prevent This Mass Shooting (Fox News)

Here's How The Failure to Impeach Trump Is Actually Good for Democrats (FiveThirtyEight)

There’s Nothing We Could Have Done to Prevent This Mass Shooting (The Onion)

It's Bernie Bros' Fault Warren Lost to Trump (MSNBC)

There’s Nothing We Could Have Done to Prevent This Mass Shooting, Which Didn't Happen (InfoWars)

I only disagree about Fox, which would say "We Could Have Prevented This Mass Shooting If We Armed The Toddlers"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I don't think my sexuality is beyond criticism so much as I think this person is full of poo poo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1179070971963199488?s=20

Reagan's Trick

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Joker (Todd Phillips, 2019)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

*empties mental institutions and puts their patients homeless on the streets* Joker's Trick

edit: i'm gonna assume that's what this article is about, i was just saying it as a joke

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Oct 1, 2019

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

This kind of poo poo brings people to TERFdom.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this society

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
That Jacobin article isn't that bad. It's saying that Joker's like The King of Comedy, that shows violent and reactionary entitlement can be masked by an affable exterior and make their success feel like a triumph for the little guy. This sort of thing is exactly what Reagan did, and The King of Comedy wasn't exactly doing it on accident. Joker is set in 1981, when Reagan first takes office, so having this exact type of story doesn't exactly seem like an accident.

Grondoth has issued a correction as of 20:45 on Oct 1, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Grondoth posted:

That Jacobin article isn't that bad. It's saying that Joker's like The King of Comedy, that shows violent and reactionary entitlement can be masked by an affable exterior and make their success feel like a triumph for the little guy. This sort of thing is exactly what Reagan did, and The King of Comedy wasn't exactly doing it on accident. Joker is set in 1981, when Reagan first takes office, so having this exact type of story doesn't exactly seem like an accident.
it's better than your average dime-a-dozen pop culture equating bullshit essay the internet seems to crank out all the time, i'll grant it that

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's better than your average dime-a-dozen pop culture equating bullshit essay the internet seems to crank out all the time, i'll grant it that

It at least had a different angle on it, that's all

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/alikeskin_tr/status/1178478561063251968?s=21

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grondoth posted:

Speaking of which, everybody should watch The King of Comedy, it's one of Scorsese's and De Niro's best movies, and barely anybody ever talks about it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also the director of Joker has already explicitly said that they only tacked the Joker brand on he script because otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell it, so there is no reason to interpret the movie within any sort of Joker paradigm.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

steinrokkan posted:

Also the director of Joker has already explicitly said that they only tacked the Joker brand on he script because otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell it, so there is no reason to interpret the movie within any sort of Joker paradigm.

thank you for this
i desperately want to watch that movie

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
he also apparently made it to stick it to the sjws so I think the people who assumed it might be woke to own the libs might have been a bit presumptuous

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Todd's Trick

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Where did he say this? It sounds like bullshit.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

yeah it's complete bullshit

https://twitter.com/JohnnySobczak/status/1148973230176243712

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Necrothatcher posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/09/26/todd-phillips-joker-outrage-culture-gun-violence-critics/

“We didn’t make the movie to push buttons,” Phillips told the Wrap. “I literally described to Joaquin [Phoenix] at one point in those three months as like, 'Look at this as a way to sneak a real movie in the studio system under the guise of a comic book film.’ It wasn’t, ‘We want to glorify this behavior.’ It was literally like, ‘Let’s make a real movie with a real budget and we’ll call it [expletive] Joker’. That’s what it was.”

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1179143580687847424

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Wax Dynasty posted:

This kind of poo poo brings people to TERFdom.

I dont know that things like this or the "cotton ceiling" drive people to terfdom so much as they give terfs cover. Non terfs just take a deep breath and remind themselves that feelings of entitlement are not the sole domain of the cislords.

Regardless, telling people "your sexuality is immoral" is just as infurating and lovely coming from a transwoman as from a bible thumper, and is not likely to do anything other than make you enemies.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Joker paradigm is a cool band name

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

somebody slept through history class lol

CharlestheHammer posted:

he also apparently made it to stick it to the sjws so I think the people who assumed it might be woke to own the libs might have been a bit presumptuous

source?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Its Coke posted:

somebody slept through history class lol

source?

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1179111358052352001?s=21

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

oh god

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

What does this even mean

THis movie is going to kill Phoenix' career all over again

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I have no idea but the hangover three did not have a single joke in it so I think he’s just confused

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/09/26/todd-phillips-joker-outrage-culture-gun-violence-critics/

“We didn’t make the movie to push buttons,” Phillips told the Wrap. “I literally described to Joaquin [Phoenix] at one point in those three months as like, 'Look at this as a way to sneak a real movie in the studio system under the guise of a comic book film.’ It wasn’t, ‘We want to glorify this behavior.’ It was literally like, ‘Let’s make a real movie with a real budget and we’ll call it [expletive] Joker’. That’s what it was.”

Fair enough! Sorry to doubt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I was kinda confused when I looked him up and all his movies were middling to bad comedies... So that kinda killed my hopes for this movie, even if he's not trying to make a superhero film.