Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This episode of Black Mirror really lacks punch.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
that was an hour well spent for me. Thank you for all the work you put into the video and also to those people who helped along the way.

Looking forward to Chapter 8 in Q4 2020.

I like how all this information will essentially be reduced to is Sandi a bad VP of marketing. The answer seems to be, clearly, yes. It is so much more than that though.

It speaks to the misallocation of backer funds, the limited protection SCAM citizens have in the products dreams they choose to fund. It's pretty much why I have never put a dime on kickstarter. There are no guarantees, you are paying for something up front that might never reflect that which you funded in the first place.

If you have some threat over management, such as, cutting a mass amount of funding from the project for shortfalls in performance you could get actual information about decisions being made. Or the ability to hold them accountable to performance goals you set for them you have a much better chance of the dream being realised.

Instead you throw your money into the charity box and cross your fingers. You make a decision with extremely limited information with no safeguards in place to ensure disclosure, you give up all control of your money and your only recourse is to hope they refund you or perhaps one day some sort of class action lawsuit? The future of this project when it eventually collapses under the weight of the incompetence and greed displayed will be an interesting time, if it ever comes. I guess you could keep the game going indefinitely on a pretty low budget if you just bullshit in perpetuate.

If it's not already the case I can see Chris simply being some figurehead with his name on the board of directors not actually making any decisions about the game anymore and just letting others take the wheel for a slice of the pie and maybe backers wouldn't even notice and still bless his hallowed name like Steve Jobs or something.

I wonder what the function of the trust is and how it generates its distributions to beneficiaries.

Janitor Ludwich IV fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 2, 2019

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bofast posted:

Understandably so, but I don't think tojal is clever enough to be Chris Roberts or Ortwin or any of the other people at the head of this particular disaster.
(I can't believe I just complimented the intelligence of Chris Roberts)

I don't think being called smarter than tojal really qualifies as a compliment.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

jfc what a fiasco

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Quavers posted:

:saddowns: Poor Toejam is having a meltdown :ohdear:

:five: what a meltdown! Guy has legit issues with paranoia; over a lovely video game no less.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

skeletors_condom posted:

:five: what a meltdown! Guy has legit issues with paranoia; over a lovely video game no less.

i sipped my coffee and read the entire thread. it really is a complete mental meltdown.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MedicineHut posted:

I must have missed out, who is this Goemo dude again?

He's Fandred, a commando that is slowly realizing that the game is a sham. Dude has the uncanny ability of being completely unable to get a point during discussion and, while he doesn't actually argue in bad faith (I think?), his arguments are often pretty much indistinguishable from that because he has actual, real brain issues (Dude like to talk about himself and will self-doxx instantly if you ask while he's not doing that well).

trucutru fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 2, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Sillybones posted:

Same. I've been on the lookout and I still haven't found any degrees that look like that around.

Is that even her? Also who the gently caress does a graduation ceremony for a masters degree?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Asproigerosis posted:

Is that even her? Also who the gently caress does a graduation ceremony for a masters degree?

This isn't common? I've been to a few for family.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jo Blob, a real classic!

"This is why Enron has been failing" and such others comments in this very section, all from and handful of haters. 140 billion revenues in 3 quarters, regular acquisitions, +90$ shares trading and increasing, +1.5 million shareholders... company valued 70B$ end of 2000 by independent auditors... Sunk Hate Galaxy, LOL.

E: Fixed Jo's awful grammar, because I can't stand it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thom12255 posted:

He also had a secret blog where he said some vile poo poo - I can't really remember the particulars of it but it was outrageous to most of the community - and he was shuffled away from the public face of the company after it.

It wasn't secret at all. Here's the GBS thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772600

Would never have found it if he hadn't tweeted it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thom12255 posted:

Eh, went to mine. Nice for family to get together and feel proud for a bit.

Did have to laugh at the behind-the-scenes. The master's "hood" on the gown was so complicated they basically had a team helping us supposed educated dumbfucks get dressed in our gowns and accoutrements.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's really interesting how open they all are to an angle of criticism that involves the only woman in the company. I mean don't get it twisted she's completely incompetent at the job and shows no interest in it, but that's everyone at the company. So I find it kind of ironic how Citizens are looking at this particular piece and going "No, no, let's not rush to condemn this, even if they're wrong about everything else. This part definitely rings true to me."

I guess their inherent anger at and suspicion of all women with positions of power outweighs their worship of Chris. But they're still keeping the two belief structures separate in their minds. Truly fascinating.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Closing /r/dereksmart was a mistake

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Sarsapariller posted:

It's really interesting how open they all are to an angle of criticism that involves the only woman in the company. I mean don't get it twisted she's completely incompetent at the job and shows no interest in it, but that's everyone at the company. So I find it kind of ironic how Citizens are looking at this particular piece and going "No, no, let's not rush to condemn this, even if they're wrong about everything else. This part definitely rings true to me."

I guess their inherent anger at and suspicion of all women with positions of power outweighs their worship of Chris. But they're still keeping the two belief structures separate in their minds. Truly fascinating.

And here I thought that some citizens are getting to their senses, but this just might be right :negative:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJqDPaf31Gw

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

I believe this has more to do with Sandi, though, you only have to see few of her videos to notice the glances, remarks and stiffness. Her character shows through and even the backers dislike her.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Star Citizen: Actually a tojal meltdown thread

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The problem Sandi has is she very blatantly used Star Citizen as a way to get in front of cameras, then flaunted the 'film roles' she did manage to get and then got the fuuuuck away from the nerds as quickly as possible and vanished as soon as she was finished with them and didn't need the project anymore, in such an in your face way you'd have to be even dumber than Tojal not to notice it.
The nerds were properly sucked dry by her, used by her and then dropped by her at the very first opportunity, it's probably the thing I like most about her, amongst a few other really excellent slight of hand things she's done. I have always been on Team Sandi and still am, she fuckin rocks.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

It wasn't secret at all. Here's the GBS thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772600

Would never have found it if he hadn't tweeted it.

https://twitter.com/jysexton/status/884798748152483840?lang=en

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

The problem Sandi has is she very blatantly used Star Citizen as a way to get in front of cameras, then flaunted the 'film roles' she did manage to get and then got the fuuuuck away from the nerds as quickly as possible and vanished as soon as she was finished with them and didn't need the project anymore, in such an in your face way you'd have to be even dumber than Tojal not to notice it.
The nerds were properly sucked dry by her, used by her and then dropped by her at the very first opportunity, it's probably the thing I like most about her, amongst a few other really excellent slight of hand things she's done. I have always been on Team Sandi and still am, she fuckin rocks.

She definitely still needs the project, she wasn't able to start 'acting' regularly again until they got this income source.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thom12255 posted:

She definitely still needs the project, she wasn't able to start 'acting' regularly again until they got this income source.

Oh yeah, she'll mercilessly dip in and out as she needs to, it's awesome

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
lol star citizen is gonna cost a billion dollars

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tangentially relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSv8J6mpKLw

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish
:newlol: :newlol:

I think he's talking about me, haha. I read SA from time to time (fell behind a lot since it wasn't regularly) but never paid my *cough* taxxe. I messaged beet on twitter a year ago when the forum went on lockdown. "GRR, why can't I read anymore" you know, when you're not a member and can't see the goods any longer.
tojal the loving imbecile pushed me here in a big way. I enjoyed the satisfaction of it and rubbed my $10 receipt in his face along; with a few sexy bears. :angel:

:boom:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Thom12255 posted:

I think it's just me.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

That may be part of it, but I also think that fans of (thing) usually consider marketing as ancillary to the core activities of (thing). If they have feelings of dissatisfaction toward (thing), it is always easier to blame the marketing rather than to come to terms with the disquieting thought that (thing) itself might have problems.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Closing /r/dereksmart was a mistake

I told you dog! I told you not to close it!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

He's right. Fighting words don't count. Words that provoke action to subvert or circumvent the law. Sedition is no longer a thing, however.

He's completely loving up on the application of the exceptions, though.

For one thing accusations and opinions are exactly the same thing, which is one of the reasons that we have remedies for problematic speech in terms of slander, and problematic writings through the use of libel. The injured party is quite within their rights to oppose slander/libel, but they have to show that it's untrue. And they have to be the injured party, not someone who really, really likes the injured party.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hav posted:

He's right. Fighting words don't count. Words that provoke action to subvert or circumvent the law. Sedition is no longer a thing, however.

He's completely loving up on the application of the exceptions, though.

For one thing accusations and opinions are exactly the same thing, which is one of the reasons that we have remedies for problematic speech in terms of slander, and problematic writings through the use of libel. The injured party is quite within their rights to oppose slander/libel, but they have to show that it's untrue. And they have to be the injured party, not someone who really, really likes the injured party.

Watch more anime!

On this season:

Tenka Hyakken: Meiji-kan e Youkoso!
Lidenfilms | Daisuke Hashimoto | Yuu Satou | Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Historical, Martial Arts, Supernatural | Game | Oct 13, 2019
The Tenka Hyakken franchise centers around the "Mitsurugi," maidens who are physical incarnations of ancient swords. They have pledged to live peaceful lives after the era of warfare, but are now returning to battle to fight a new foe that has arisen during an alternate version of the Meiji Era, three hundred years after the Battle of Sekigahara.

Ship girls are passe, it's all about the sword girls now.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

Ship girls are passe, it's all about the sword girls now.

Pass, I need my giant robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Asproigerosis posted:

That is not Sandi Gardiner, that's Mae Demming :ssh: