Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is this a 2019 or 2020 release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

All I want to know is will the new version have time on target mission planning?

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

V for Vegas posted:

Is this a 2019 or 2020 release?

Yes.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Unimpressed posted:

All I want to know is will the new version have time on target mission planning?

Not quite yet. Your Excel sheet will be still useful for a while.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Dimitris posted:

Not quite yet. Your Excel sheet will be still useful for a while.

Genuinely curious,why is it so hard or deprioritised?

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Unimpressed posted:

Genuinely curious,why is it so hard or deprioritised?

We cannot talk about this ATM, sorry.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.
Major government body wanted it for the pro edition and you signed something saying you can't distribute, fair enough.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Nothing like wanting to play some Steel Panthers and realizing that you got one download back in 2013 :downs:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Nothing like wanting to play some Steel Panthers and realizing that you got one download back in 2013 :downs:

I think fans have updated it since then, fixed some bugs and such. You might want to download it again

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Steel Panthers is freeware now in multiple variations. WinSPMBT and WinSPWW2 are based on Steel Panthers 2, and Steel Panthers World At War is based on (IIRC) Steel Panthers 3.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
"Close Combat: The Bloody First is now available on Steam!"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hope reviews for CC come out quickly. I watched a gameplay video last night and was kinda turned off watching a tank miss like 6 shots in row on a parked halftrack 100 yard away. It seem's the game puts a lot of weight into RNG to determine hits.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Popete posted:

I hope reviews for CC come out quickly. I watched a gameplay video last night and was kinda turned off watching a tank miss like 6 shots in row on a parked halftrack 100 yard away. It seem's the game puts a lot of weight into RNG to determine hits.

I saw a similar event. A pair of allied tanks (M4's or M3's) drove along the flank of a Tiger. One sat at a distance and shot while the other drove up about 20m behind and just kept shooting the Tiger in the rear end. Eventually the Tiger died but it didn't seem terribly concerned about the tank shooting it from behind. I'm going to wait for the goonhivemind to check it out.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
That's super disappointing. I was really hoping for a more realistic version of the Men of War franchise and I was kinda pinning my hopes on this one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maps look kinda small but maybe that's just what I've seen so far. Enemy AI seems kinda dumb, like it'll just park vehicles and they never really maneuver they just shoot at whatever they see. Squads take direct mortar/artillery fire and no one gets killed, it's like you can see the dice being rolled just off screen.

Still gonna wait for reviews cause I'd love to play some CC but I'm kinda bummed at what I've seen so far. Though artillery strikes do look pretty intense when they're raining down.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Popete posted:

it's like you can see the dice being rolled just off screen.

i mean, that's kind of pretty much what's happening?

CC was never intended to be a fast-moving RTS ala Men of War, but the series has always tried to have it both ways and it creates weird expectations. Because it's "real time" (although super-slow) one would expect to see a more accurate representation of individual behaviors on the battlefield, but internally, it appears that all units are treated as "static" at point of contact when there's interaction between opposing forces -- the "characters" we see on the screen should be considered "chits" with the animations being nothing more than generic representations of the behind-the-scenes calculations.

I think CC would benefit greatly by moving towards a system based upon turn-based movement WITH the appropriate and specific animations ala Battle Academy.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 3, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's true, I guess maybe it's just more jarring in 3d cause you see a group of infantry get hit with a massive explosion dead on and nothing really happens. Same with tanks firing and missing point blank at each other. The maps look smaller and everything is close up and yet they're missing repeatedly.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Popete posted:

Yeah that's true, I guess maybe it's just more jarring in 3d cause you see a group of infantry get hit with a massive explosion dead on and nothing really happens. Same with tanks firing and missing point blank at each other. The maps look smaller and everything is close up and yet they're missing repeatedly.

Yep. It really exposes this issue more than ever now which is too bad. There's a great game in there somewhere.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Very much a 'in that case why on earth did you make the game 3d?' Moment.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wasn't CC originally created as the "Advanced Squad Leader board game turned into a video game"? It's all die rolls baby

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Maybe that's why this game took so long to come out. It looks like they weren't quite sure how to turn CC into a 3d game and make the scale look proper.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
All that said if reviews are positive I'll probably end up getting it cause I really enjoy the CC games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

Wasn't CC originally created as the "Advanced Squad Leader board game turned into a video game"? It's all die rolls baby

yup. they had to rejigger it a bunch once they realized that their morale system only ever went one direction: down

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Alchenar posted:

It's helpful in terms of judging terrain height which was a bitch to visualize in 2d, but I agree that the overall effect is to raise expectations that go beyond what CC offers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Why would anyone play Close Combat, a bad Advanced Squad Leader video game when you could play the Official Squad Leader video game?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why would anyone play Close Combat, a bad Advanced Squad Leader video game when you could play the Official Squad Leader video game?

Or better yet, the garbage implementation called Tigers in the Mist?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Or better yet, the garbage implementation called Tigers in the Mist?

Squad Leader!

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
Hey, the discord invite in the OP is expired. Anyone got one? I'm about to buy CMANO and be extremely confused.

EDIT: Nice, literally as soon as I posted this I got sent one by a nice goon in AirGoons. Thanks, y'all.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I have really been looking forward to the new CC, but watching a few videos, it looks kinda ugly in 3D. The visible edges of the map with blank space beyond is really awkward. Definitely gonna wait for reviews and goonsensus on this one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bold Robot posted:

I have really been looking forward to the new CC, but watching a few videos, it looks kinda ugly in 3D. The visible edges of the map with blank space beyond is really awkward. Definitely gonna wait for reviews and goonsensus on this one.

Yeah I had the same impression back when videos of it first came out.

lol that everyone's realizing all along they didn't want a 3D Close Combat game

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Popete posted:

Yeah I had the same impression back when videos of it first came out.

lol that everyone's realizing all along they didn't want a 3D Close Combat game

Maybe it's just that the desert level that everyone is doing videos of is particularly ugly? I hope? Screenshots of later levels look a little better.

What a weird way that they decided to do the edge of the map. Ultimate General Civil War is not that different in terms of taking the perspective they're trying to go for and having map edges and it looks just fine.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think maybe that's why the maps look so small too, the edges are just such an abrupt end.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man I thought CMs skyboxes were lovely.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Popete posted:

Yeah I think maybe that's why the maps look so small too, the edges are just such an abrupt end.

I honestly haven't really noticed it that much. It could be better but I'm not particularly cognizant of it during play.

Engagements are pretty close for the most part, too, <150-200m, just due to LOS issues.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Played a few hours of the new Close Combat. The campaign structure and options are similar to Gate Way to Caen. You have about a whole company of units but in each battle you'll have probably 1 platoon of units and extra. You can decide the tempo of attack. Like a lot of people say, tank and gun accuracy is atrocious. Your tank will often hit the chest high wall in front of it, Instead of the target on a hill above it. There's a new system where you can assign extra weapon or form ad hoc team for different function (such as an assault squad with all SMG). Overall it plays similar to any other CC title.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wargamer.com's review isn't glowing either, https://www.wargamer.com/reviews/close-combat-the-bloody-first/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Alpha version of Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts is now available.

https://www.dreadnoughts.ultimateadmiral.com/post/pre-order-and-play

I'm an impulsive idiot, so good chance I'll buy into this in the next day or three. Then again, I ended up never buying RtW2, so who knows?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 4, 2019

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Alpha version of Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts is now available.

https://www.dreadnoughts.ultimateadmiral.com/post/pre-order-and-play

I'm an impulsive idiot, so good chance I'll buy into this in the next day or three. Then again, I ended up never buying RtW2, so who knows?

:10bux: awaaay, I'll let you know how broken it is

e: ship building looks cool as gently caress

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 4, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

There's no way it's as disappointing as rtw2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
cc always had dogshit ai. if it has a good campaign overlay its good, otherwise its a hard pass