Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I've been using BD25 for almost a month now and I don't know how that indexer slid under my radar for so long. It's absolutely glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What's good about it? This is the first I've heard of it.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

wolrah posted:

They're not saying indexers, they're saying providers. The ones you have set up in SAB/NZBGet. If every post of what you're looking for has been deleted from your provider it doesn't matter how many indexers you have.

The general recommendation with those has been to have an unlimited account from one of the major networks as your primary feed and to augment that with block accounts from one or more additional networks.

Any recommendations for a "major network"? I was recommended Usenet Server from this thread, but that was a few years ago. Do they suck now or something?

Also the augment account from an additional network thing...does that cost extra money?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Thermopyle posted:

What's good about it? This is the first I've heard of it.

It's a best in class indexer for blu rays of all kinds including 4K, and that is all they index.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

So I just paid for a lifetime subscription to NZBGeek, and one of the TV episodes I am trying to download has about 6 entries, and all of them have more thumbs down than thumbs up.

Does my provider have an effect on search results? Meaning, if I had a different provider, would I get possibly 12 search results, with some being good? Or does my provider only affect what's attempted to download?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

So I just paid for a lifetime subscription to NZBGeek, and one of the TV episodes I am trying to download has about 6 entries, and all of them have more thumbs down than thumbs up.

Does my provider have an effect on search results? Meaning, if I had a different provider, would I get possibly 12 search results, with some being good? Or does my provider only affect what's attempted to download?

No not at all. The indexer results will be the same no matter which usenet provider you use.

The issue you're running into is people posting with no or poor obfuscation, so they're getting removed. An indexer like nzb.is just indexes what can be easily seen on usenet and that stuff gets taken down quickly. The better indexers will make their own posts with better obfuscation. Of your current indexers, drunkenslug is a good one and nzbgeek is good, but nzbgeek does a poor job of obfuscating their posts and they get taken down. Their stuff also gets scraped and posted on more public indexers, which doesn't help with takedowns.

As an example, take the episode of Impractical Jokers you wanted. This one on nzbgeek is the same as this post on drunkenslug and it's been removed because all they did was upload rars with a hashed name but kept the file inside the real name. Whatever they use to detect DMCA violations can easily see that. This other one on drunkenslug was posted in a much better way that can't be easily detected and it still up as a result.

Having said all that, the best way to avoid DMCA takedowns is to automate your setup with sonarr or even just an rss feed in your downloader. But if you have a good indexer like drunkenslug your usenet provider doesn't really matter. Their posts will stay up.

sedative fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 3, 2019

frh
Dec 6, 2014

sedative posted:

No not at all. The indexer results will be the same no matter which usenet provider you use.

The issue you're running into is people posting with no or poor obfuscation, so they're getting removed. An indexer like nzb.is just indexes what can be easily seen on usenet and that stuff gets taken down quickly. The better indexers will make their own posts with better obfuscation. Of your current indexers, drunkenslug is a good one and nzbgeek is good, but nzbgeek does a poor job of obfuscating their posts and they get taken down. Their stuff also gets scraped and posted on more public indexers, which doesn't help with takedowns.

As an example, take the episode of Impractical Jokers you wanted. This one on nzbgeek is the same as this post on drunkenslug and it's been removed because all they did was upload rars with a hashed name but kept the file inside the real name. Whatever they use to detect DMCA violations can easily see that. This other one on drunkenslug was posted in a much better way that can't be easily detected and it still up as a result.

Having said all that, the best way to avoid DMCA takedowns is to automate your setup with sonarr or even just an rss feed in your downloader. But if you have a good indexer like drunkenslug your usenet provider doesn't really matter. Their posts will stay up.

The funny thing is I do have it set up with Sonarr, so I have no clue why it didn't grab it before it got DMCA'd.

But regardless, your link (the DrunkenSlug one) actually downloaded for me. Will Sonarr be able to "find and download" it despite it being obfuscated?

Thank you so, so much for the reply by the way. I also just bought a year subscription to DrunkenSlug

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Not gonna, um, consider another provider? Even a block plan?

As has been pointed out, no manner of dozens of indexers matter if your provider is poo poo. An index is just that.. not content.

The thread OP suggestions haven't changed much in years. Get multiple providers from each of the major "backbone" providers, otherwise you're just buying resold providers.

Not to be a jerk, but your posts show your chasing in the wrong direction and aren't taking heed of the real advice you're being given (by several people).

No one must to implicitly know this, sure, but please consider the information given to you in direct response to your queries.

tl;dr: Spend less money on indexers and more on providers. Plural. Get a block plan at a bare minimum.

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 3, 2019

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

The funny thing is I do have it set up with Sonarr, so I have no clue why it didn't grab it before it got DMCA'd.

But regardless, your link (the DrunkenSlug one) actually downloaded for me. Will Sonarr be able to "find and download" it despite it being obfuscated?

Thank you so, so much for the reply by the way. I also just bought a year subscription to DrunkenSlug

Yeah Sonarr just goes by the title of the post. It doesn't matter what the actual filenames are.

To answer your other question about whether UsenetServer is still good, they're fine. They're owned by a company called Omicron which owns a ton of other providers. Omicron/Highwinds providers offer access to the same exact files (if a file is (un)available on UsenetServer it'll be (un)available on Newshosting and NewsDemon and Astraweb, etc) so you can stick with what you have or look for a deal to save some money. NewsDemon has a $40 for 18 months deal. There are always good deals on Black Friday if you want to wait a while.

If you want to add a block account from a different provider to your setup, the usenet subreddit has a list of providers and promotions that's mostly accurate and up to date. If you scroll down to HW Media on the providers page you'll see all the providers that fall under their umbrella. Don't get a block from any of them as they'll give you access to the same files. I would recommend a block from TweakNews, Usenet Farm or ViperNews. They're all European providers and follow a different takedown law which can sometimes leave things up for days longer than American companies.

But again, the indexer is the most important part. If you're on a good indexer like drunkenslug you can probably get away with having a single usenet provider.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Thanks so much to the both of you; I'm not willfully ignoring advice, I just have trouble understanding what a block plan is and how it's different from a regular plan.

sedative posted:

NewsDemon has a $40 for 18 months deal.

I keep trying to buy this but when I click to checkout with Paypal or my credit card the screen changes and it only gives me options costing $7-10 per month and the $40 for 18 months deal disappears.

I would love to get it working because I am paying $10 per month for UsenetServer

frh fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 3, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Block plans are set amounts of transfer that don’t expire, so you can pay $10 for an account and have it sit there for years, and it’ll only need payment when it gets emptied. Having block accounts on different backends helps as a DMCA might remove different articles from different providers and making a good set is then possible.

E: just checked my free-Usenet.com account. The 2x 100gb blocks I bought in 2017 currently costs $5 and I’ve used 30gb of it in that time period. I have sonarr
and radarr constantly grabbing and upgrading so it shows how little you go through it, but it’s definitely helped complete sets over the years.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 3, 2019

frh
Dec 6, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

Block plans are set amounts of transfer that don’t expire, so you can pay $10 for an account and have it sit there for years, and it’ll only need payment when it gets emptied. Having block accounts on different backends helps as a DMCA might remove different articles from different providers and making a good set is then possible.

ah OK, so it's basically like paying for usenet but on an "as-needed" basis. Makes total sense. Thank you so much!

I am assuming you have to put both account info into SABNZBDB? One for the "main" usenet account and one for the block account?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yup that’s it. I just updated my post but you probably won’t see the edit so here’s my usage example -

quote:

E: just checked my free-Usenet.com account. The 2x 100gb blocks I bought in 2017 currently costs $5 and I’ve used 30gb of it in that time period. I have sonarr
and radarr constantly grabbing and upgrading so it shows how little you go through it, but it’s definitely helped complete sets over the years.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

The important part isn’t really block vs unlimited, that’s just the economically better way to handle it. The important part is that your client has the ability to look for a given post on more than one usenet provider.

A 30 minute tv episode will be thousands of posts of plain text in a newsgroup. When your client (SAB/NZBGet) opens a .nzb file it gets a big list of links to those posts that need to be downloaded and reassembled. Say Easynews is your unlimited provider, your client starts downloading from EasyNews and gets as much of the file from EasyNews as it can. But for whatever reason, 500 of the 20000 posts that make up the file aren’t available. It can then go check with your 2nd provider for those 500 missing posts. That’s also why your 2nd provider needs a different upstream provider; if you buy plans from two providers who are each reselling the same upstream provider, they’ll both be missing the same posts and your secondary account is pointless. There’s info in the OP about which resellers use which upstream providers.

The reason you buy a block of data for your 2nd provider is that, assuming your primary provider is decent, you won’t be downloading much or often from your secondary. So instead of paying $10/month for unlimited on a secondary provider you barely use, you instead buy a $10 block of 500GB that doesn’t expire and it lasts you six months on that $10 (I made those numbers up).

E: too slow

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

I keep trying to buy this but when I click to checkout with Paypal or my credit card the screen changes and it only gives me options costing $7-10 per month and the $40 for 18 months deal disappears.

I would love to get it working because I am paying $10 per month for UsenetServer

Ah sorry. Just hang on until Black Friday and you'll probably find a deal for $2-3 a month for an Omicron reseller like NewsDemon. It's too bad you missed the Newshosting and UsenetServer $20 a year deals from a few months ago.

If something good pops up before the Black Friday deals I'll post them here.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

sedative posted:

Ah sorry. Just hang on until Black Friday and you'll probably find a deal for $2-3 a month for an Omicron reseller like NewsDemon. It's too bad you missed the Newshosting and UsenetServer $20 a year deals from a few months ago.

If something good pops up before the Black Friday deals I'll post them here.

You're the best (as is everyone else in this thread). Thank you so much.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

EvilMoFo posted:

I just signed up for another provider because ~4/month is better than ~100/year; the cheap one has ~3 months to prove it's good enough until the year is up on the other one.
While usenetprime (my aforementioned cheap provider) is indeed good enough, and I will be letting my supernews account expire at the end of the year, I since added free-usenet to the mix because their free offering completed old posts that otherwise would have failed. I got an unlimited but painfully slow plan from them and have pulled over 100gb through it while back-filling a bunch of things.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I have 4 different indexers, but search results are pretty evenly grabbed between them. My provider setup is frugalusenet (US and EU) as primary, and a usenet.farm block which only occasionally gets used. I used to have blocknews and tweaknews as well, but my current two seem to give me no issues at all.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
This is how my SAB looks currently (1 or 2 of those providers are going away soon, just happen to have overlapping cheap yearly subs at the moment)

Completion is... very good!

Make sure all your unlimited providers are set to the same priority, and block accounts are a lower priority, otherwise SAB will needlessly deplete your block accounts. If they're set at a lower priority, it will only check them if all your unlimited providers are missing the article it wants.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

sedative posted:

Hah, usenet automation is so good that I haven't really paid attention to how it all works in years. I had no idea indexers were re-uploading posts with their own obfuscation.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

pzy posted:

This is how my SAB looks currently (1 or 2 of those providers are going away soon, just happen to have overlapping cheap yearly subs at the moment)

Make sure all your unlimited providers are set to the same priority, and block accounts are a lower priority, otherwise SAB will needlessly deplete your block accounts. If they're set at a lower priority, it will only check them if all your unlimited providers are missing the article it wants.

You can also help yourself a little bit by adding the individual servers for a provider. For example with newshosting you could have news-us.newshosting.com as priority 0, news-nl as 1 and news-de as 2. You won't usually find full posts that are missing from US but available on NL or DE, but they'll sometimes have an article or two that aren't available on your main server. It might save you a few seconds not having to repair a download.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

this is how my prioritization is looking for this month so far (back-filling a couple long running tv series atm)

(I recently rebuilt my setup, the supernews total includes ~210gb before I got usenetprime)

frh
Dec 6, 2014

pzy posted:

This is super helpful. Thanks for posting this!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

sedative posted:

You can also help yourself a little bit by adding the individual servers for a provider. For example with newshosting you could have news-us.newshosting.com as priority 0, news-nl as 1 and news-de as 2. You won't usually find full posts that are missing from US but available on NL or DE, but they'll sometimes have an article or two that aren't available on your main server. It might save you a few seconds not having to repair a download.

Note that if you do this be careful about setting connection limits lower than their limits, the connection count on the provider can lag slightly between regions and you can get errors if you go too close to the limit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone here have a TheXEM.de account? If so, would you mind putting an entry in for Big Mouth? The dummies at TVDB have decided the one off special that should be s00e01 ('My Furry Valentine') is actually s03e01 which as usual doesn't line up with the way anyone else in the universe sees it. Naturally this completely screwed up my viewing and I skipped an episode by mistake.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does anyone here have a TheXEM.de account? If so, would you mind putting an entry in for Big Mouth? The dummies at TVDB have decided the one off special that should be s00e01 ('My Furry Valentine') is actually s03e01 which as usual doesn't line up with the way anyone else in the universe sees it. Naturally this completely screwed up my viewing and I skipped an episode by mistake.

What in the world are you talking about? Even Netflix lists it as s03e01.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh weird, they must've changed it on Netflix when the season opened because it never used to be -

quote:

‪Re: Delete Big Mouth Season 3‬
I strongly second that motion.‬
‪Episode 'My Furry Valentine' aired on February 8th is not advertised as Season 3 on Netflix, but as a Special.‬

https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=53836&p=144127&hilit=big+mouth#p144127

I guess it's listed under Resolved Requests, so it must've been moved to Specials then moved back to Season 3 when the new episodes came out. Whoever did the releases must've not been paying attention then as all my episodes are out of sync with the descriptions, at least that makes it easily fixed on my end.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Daf

wormil fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 19, 2019

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh weird, they must've changed it on Netflix when the season opened because it never used to be -

https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=53836&p=144127&hilit=big+mouth#p144127

I guess it's listed under Resolved Requests, so it must've been moved to Specials then moved back to Season 3 when the new episodes came out. Whoever did the releases must've not been paying attention then as all my episodes are out of sync with the descriptions, at least that makes it easily fixed on my end.

Can you tell me what you did to fix this? my indexer grabbed all the METCON releases and I'm also missing an episode. It looks like Episode 2 is missing and episodes 10 and 11 are duplicates.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I fixed it by deleting the metcon ones and grabbing the ntb ones instead. Quickest solve!

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I fixed it by deleting the metcon ones and grabbing the ntb ones instead. Quickest solve!

Thanks, will do the same.

Is there some way to configure sonarr to try to match episodes in a series so that they are all from the same release group, regardless of which group it may be?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not that I’ve seen and it would be something quite useful, I’ve wanted it in the past for sure. Easier once a release is out on Blu-ray or if you choose sources that should be left untouched (web dl etc) than week to week.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I really wish NGD gave refunds. I have 3.8TB left on a block plan I bought a year ago (when it made sense because it was 50% off) but NGD retention and completion are garbage now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Daf

wormil fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 19, 2019

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

So I complained to NewsgroupDirect about their service going in the toilet the last few months, and they offered to move my account over to NewsDemon with my unused block intact. It sounded like a gracious enough solution.

Except NewsDemon is terrible. Their retention may be better than NGD (which isn't hard) but their completion is godawful. Broken files and missing articles are the norm. It's hard to say if this is due to takedown requests or the service sucks in general. They have two European servers but it doesn't make a difference.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I've been on NewsDemon for years and I very rarely run into a completion issue :confused:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I can name two shows I've tried in the last 24 hours with significant broken and missing files (~70 blocks short of 400 total).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Former Human posted:

I can name two shows I've tried in the last 24 hours with significant broken and missing files (~70 blocks short of 400 total).

PM me the names of what you're trying to download that's broken and I'll test it on my system.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Newsdemon is just high winds right? So like 3/4 of usenet providers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
Holy poo poo, I've switched from newsgroup.ninja to Eweka and it is like seeing the light. All links are working!