Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are the ones in BW actually shot at night? Something I've been wondering.

E: or rather without lighting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh my god

*immediately drops everything to learn more*

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah, they use multiple cameras during the night shoots, including regular cameras and flir/night vision ones. I worked post production on it so I only got to see the footage, never really asked about how smelly those guys are in person.

I think all the eps are on YouTube.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, they use multiple cameras during the night shoots, including regular cameras and flir/night vision ones. I worked post production on it so I only got to see the footage, never really asked about how smelly those guys are in person.

I think all the eps are on YouTube.

Oh I just assumed they light that poo poo up and then just slap on some filters or poo poo to make it look like that. You know, because when you're shooting something it's nice if all the fat guys milling about can see.

e: I didn't mean this show in particular, but all the ghost hunter stuff.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh my god

*immediately drops everything to learn more*

Hahaha that was amazing. Buncha mountain men LARPing D&D in the dark.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ruddiger posted:

I worked on a couple of really silly cryptid reality shows a while back.

Ha ha ha hot drat I used to watch both those shows, they're dumb as poo poo but they were kind of charming in a way.

Sometimes the trappers would pretend they actually caught a monster in one of their traps and show some vague FLIR footage of a monstery shape in a cage (a hogzilla or a hellhound or whatever) and then they'd stand around talking and go "Whoo ee what a night! Well, we said we'd come out here and catch it ... and we did!" and then the episode would just end and they'd hard cut to the credits without showing clear footage of what they 'caught' and never mention it ever again.
People on bigfoot forums used to argue whether the shows were genuine or staged. I kid you not.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

When you said cryptid reality shows, I pictured Survivor but the mothman is building an alliance with jersey devil and chupacabra to take down bigfoot's stranglehold on the votes.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

PetraCore posted:

When you said cryptid reality shows, I pictured Survivor but the mothman is building an alliance with jersey devil and chupacabra to take down bigfoot's stranglehold on the votes.

That sounds like an animated show from 1997 that MTV gave one season to and now has a cult following, but nobody likes the DVD release because they had to replace all the music.

I wish that was real.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I would watch that. Sounds pretty amazing. #teambigfoot #fuckujerseydevil #pnwrules

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Holy crap. Me and my buddy watch Mountain Monsters while drinkin/getting stoned to do bone(and after stoned to da* bone) and it's our guilty pleasure.

Please, tell me stories

ShortyMR.CAT has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Oct 4, 2019

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

getting stoned to do bone

just want you to know that this made me lol

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People on bigfoot forums used to argue whether the shows were genuine or staged. I kid you not.

That's amazing.

I really like the setup of the show. Local sends pics/vid/audio of a monster lurking around their property, the fellas give the viewer the history/lore of whatever monster they think it is, they make an A-Team style trap and then get into wacky monster hunting shenanigans while waiting in the bushes at night. I loved the trap building segments and the monster lore.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ruddiger posted:

I really like the setup of the show. Local sends pics/vid/audio of a monster lurking around their property, the fellas give the viewer the history/lore of whatever monster they think it is, they make an A-Team style trap and then get into wacky monster hunting shenanigans while waiting in the bushes at night. I loved the trap building segments and the monster lore.

Yeah the traps were always fun. :v:

The "Finding Bigfoot" show tried to keep things 'fresh' by coming up with new ways to lure bigfoot out of hiding and they obviously started running out of ideas after a few seasons and just tried random dumb stuff like disco lights and whale noises

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Hackers film 1995 posted:

just want you to know that this made me lol

sometimes ya just gonna bone your bro while getting stoned with your bro

ruddiger posted:

That's amazing.

It's real to me :qq: I wanna know why Buck kept getting his rear end hypnotized/haunted/possessed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

It's real to me :qq: I wanna know why Buck kept getting his rear end hypnotized/haunted/possessed.

I've been waiting all week to just sit down and watch this show all weekend, and stuff like this makes it harder to wait :arghfist:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

sometimes ya just gonna bone your bro while getting stoned with your bro

My stoned bro bone home.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the traps were always fun. :v:

The “Finding Bigfoot” show tried to keep things ‘fresh’ by coming up with new ways to lure bigfoot out of hiding and they obviously started running out of ideas after a few seasons and just tried random dumb stuff like disco lights and whale noises

Is there/was there any episodes that feature a harp?

A coworker of my mother’s retired recently and sold her house to fund an expedition to find Bigfoot. She’s a professional harpist and believes she has lured Bigfoot out of the woods with her harp in the past. I wonder if she’s been on Weirdo TV. (I don’t live in the US anymore so I am out of touch with her antics.)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I learned about a new definitely real creature today, the Crocobeaver Afanc, which lives in certain Welsh lakes. The picture makes it look like some kind of gargantuan behemoth but it's just a lil' fella who's small enough to sit on peoples' laps :3: but also strong enough to crush them by mistake :saddowns:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
reminds me of like. those cryptids that turn out to be rotting corpses of small mammals that look different than people expect once the fur is off of them. like the montauk monster

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Or the bears with mange that look super weird and creepy?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Or the bears with mange that look super weird and creepy?

Or this chupacabra that got caught in Texas back in 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n9PaDnBKhk

It's a raccoon

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can usually tell stuff actually shot in night vision because people's pupils will glow from reflecting back the infrared they use to light the scene, most "night vision" stuff is just shot with an infrared-sensitive camera then they light the scene with infrared invisible to humans and most other mammals. For whatever reason our eyes don't reflect visible light like cats', but they do reflect infrared, so that usually gives away true night vision versus low-light stuff. The black and white Mountain Monsters clip above looks like it's just using low-light cameras, also they're all wearing headlamps which would totally wash out true night vision. So at least in that clip, they can see fine for at least far as their headlamps reach. I do remember them doing some true night vision on the show too though.

I always thought it was kind of funny they'd use all the night vision stuff on Finding Bigfoot, since a lot of people think bigfoot can see infrared and that's how they avoid camera traps, then these guys go out literally with infrared flashlights blasting into their faces. If bigfoot could see infrared these guys would look lit up like a Christmas tree.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmzfdjJRotU

There are also some true night vision cameras that can actually film in darkness without blasting things in infrared, but I don't think any of the monster-hunting shows can afford them. But the BBC can, here they are filming a herd of Ngoubou.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HEUcCj5cLU

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Is there/was there any episodes that feature a harp?

A coworker of my mother’s retired recently and sold her house to fund an expedition to find Bigfoot. She’s a professional harpist and believes she has lured Bigfoot out of the woods with her harp in the past. I wonder if she’s been on Weirdo TV. (I don’t live in the US anymore so I am out of touch with her antics.)
There was one where they had a classical cellist I think? Some kind of stringed instrument.

I always kind of felt bad for the Finding Bigfoot guys because of the way the premise of the show depended on them doing a different area every week. Even when they had an "amazing" night where they were totally sure there was a bigfoot right on the other side of the river calling back to them, then the episode ended like "Welp, that was our two nights in this area, onto the next one." They really should have let them do a more freeform thing where they could stay around the more promising areas. Obviously it's not like they would have actually found a bigfoot, but it still felt dumb that they'd leave after thinking they got so close.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Knormal posted:

For whatever reason our eyes don't reflect visible light like cats'

Oh god, don't even get me started on eyeshine :gonk:

Bigfoot believers are 100% convinced that bigfoot eyes reflect light (tapetum lucidum) and therefore any video footage of eyeshine at night when they're running around hooting and hollering and whacking sticks against trees is absolutely totally evidence that a bigfoot was right there looking right at them OMGGGggggggg we were so cloooooose

I mean, what else could it possible be? Deer. Also literally hundreds and hundreds of other kinds of regular critters that are in the woods.

Edit: there's also a whole lot of stories about cryptids like bigfoot and mothman whose eyes actually emit light and glow. There's all sorts of undersea creatures and insects that have bioluminescence so if you think about it it's totally possible that creatures like bigfoot could have glowing eyes!!! Night vision works by reflecting an increased amount of light through the retina, if a creature's eyes actually emitted light it would pretty much blind them at night.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 09:41 on Oct 6, 2019

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I know it's Buzzfeed, but I'm pretty fond of Buzzfeed Unsolved. The host banter is great and they aren't afraid to have a 'dud' episode where they get nothing, including one season finale. The skeptic/believer dynamic is fun.

They have 'True Crime' seasons too which are also interesting.

This isn't the season finale, but it does have my favourite moment of ghost speech at 15:15.

They also looked for Bigfoot, in one of the few times where the skeptic is all in and the believer isn't.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Buzzfeed Unsolved is genuinely great and they've covered a lot of cases and locations I was familiar with from reading threads just like this.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

I feel compelled to share the Van Meter Visitor because Iowa as a state produces very little in the way of memorable folklore or urban legends.

"It was a seemingly average day in Van Meter, Iowa on September 29th, 1903. However, the creature known as the Van Meter Visitor would radically alter this average day. The nights of Tuesday, Sept 29th through October 3rd would be filled with terror, shock, and the sound of giant wings flapping in the sky.

The Van Meter Visitor appeared out of, apparently, nowhere. Which is surprising, considering its size. It was reported by dozens of witnesses as roughly an 8 foot-tall half-man-half-winged-beast. It had a horn on its head that, at the tip, shot out a blinding and disorienting white light. To me, it sounds similar to the Jersey Devil but bigger, especially the detail of leathery wings. Although, unlike the Jersey Devil, the Van Meter Visitor seems to have a development that specifically works to disorient and confuse people that see it. Some people even said the light temporarily blinded them.

The first event took place downtown, right in the heard of the city’s business district which meant many credible witnesses and town pillars came out in defense of seeing the Van Meter Visitor. It’s the first appearance, though, happened at 1am.

U.G. Griffith was the first person, it is believed, to have experienced the Van Meter Visitor. Initially, he thought it was a spotlight moving around a rooftop and woke up annoyed and ready to confront whoever was behind it. When he approached the source of the light, something huge jumped to a different rooftop all the way across the street and then completely disappeared into the night.

The very next night around the same time, Dr. Alcott, the town doctor was fast asleep in a room above his office. Like Griffith, he was also was awoken by a bright light shining into his window. And, also like Griffith, he rushed out to confront whoever was shining that light. Gun in hand, he was shocked to discover the Van Meter Visitor, which he described as a humanoid with bat-like wings. He reported that he also saw that the blinding light came from a blunt horn in the creature’s forehead. Shocked, but still well in control of his faculties, he attempted to shoot the creature down a shocking five times. After firing, he noticed that there was absolutely no effect on the creature and fled back into his home.

Because all bad things come in threes, there is one more experience to go over.

Once again the Van Meter Visitor made his nightly rounds, this time shining his onto a watchful Clarence Dunn. By this time and after two encounters by trusted people in the community rumors were just beginning to swirl. Dunn had heard about Dr. Alcott’s experiences (although it is not clear if he had heard about Griffith’s) and decided to keep watch through the night. He posted up in the bank and brought his shotgun along to keep him company, should the Visitor stop by. Although, he still believed clever burglars were behind the strange sightings. Like the other two men, at around 1am the Van Meter Visitor made himself known. Unlike the other experiences though, this time Dunn said he heard a ‘strangling noise’ outside his home and that is what pushed him to investigate, not a light shining in the window. Almost instantaneously, as he moved to open the door he was hit in close range in the face through the window with the blinding light of the Van Meter Visitor. When the light briefly let up, according to The Bigfoot Diaries interview with the authors of the Van Meter Visitor, “some kind of great from behind the light.” Dunn, instinctively, fired his shotgun at the mysterious being, right through the bank’s front window. Like the shots by Dr. Alcott, it had no effect on the Visitor. The next morning outside of the bank he saw several sets of three-toed footprints (another call back to the Jersey Devil?) and said he made plaster casts of them, although they have never been found.

More sightings were reported throughout the three days. This includes O.V. White, the owner of a local hardware store, who saw the monster asleep on a telephone pole and tried to shoot it. Interestingly, instead of using his light or making a strangling noise, the Van Meter Visitor expressed his annoyance by releasing a ‘terrible smell’ towards White. Mr. White’s neighbor, Sidney Gregg, also saw the creature at the same time dismount the pole and then fly through town, apparently heading towards the old coal mine on the outskirts of town. Most interestingly and semi-related to the Mothman, rather than the Jersey Devil, is the experience at the mine.

Fed up after three days of their town being terrorized at sundown, several people from Van Meter geared up and headed towards the mines, where Sidney had said the creature had flown to the previous day. By this time, strange noises were being reported coming from the abandoned coal mines.

A local allegedly described these sounds as, “though Satan and a regiment of imps were coming forth for a battle.” When the men got to the mines, they found the Van Meter Visitor wasn’t alone. Instead, it was accompanied by a second creature (which was spotted emerging from the mine and taking off into the night). Before they could confront either creature, they both had fled.

The men decided to wait to see if the creatures returned. They eventually did and the crowd opened fire on the creatures. Apparently, they didn’t think very much of the previous attempts to bring down the Van Meter Visitor with the gunshot. Once again, despite the increased numbers and firepower, they were still shocked when the creatures were completely immune to their firepower.

Unsure of what to do next or how to handle these creatures that could not be easily brought down, they decided to simply brick up the abandoned mines to ensure that those things could never see the light of day again. Perhaps there was another way out and perhaps they flew away into the night, but they were never seen again in Van Meter."

https://www.astonishinglegends.com/astonishing-legends/2018/10/14/the-van-meter-visitor

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

He's 8 feet tall, so they could have called him the Van Meter Giant.

He has a horn and leathery wings, so they could have called him the Van Meter Devil.

But no, actually visiting Iowa was the most inexplicable thing about him, so he's The Van Meter Visitor.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

But no, actually visiting Iowa was the most inexplicable thing about him, so he's The Van Meter Visitor.

And much like every other visitor to Iowa, they quickly got bored and left :ms:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

He has a horn and leathery wings, so they could have called him the Van Meter Devil.

Like, gently caress, guys, just start telling everyone Field of Dreams was based on a true story and there's really a cornfield full of baseball players out there

people will come

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A+

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I must say, I don't care for the hospitality there. Shooting at visitors is p rude.

For all they know it could have been an angel delivering a message from god, but before he can get through the "Be not afraid" spiel they are trying to shoot him full of lead. Rude.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

I must say, I don't care for the hospitality there. Shooting at visitors is p rude.

For all they know it could have been an angel delivering a message from god, but before he can get through the "Be not afraid" spiel they are trying to shoot him full of lead. Rude.

Frankly, I wouldn’t fault someone for shooting at the lovecraftian horrors that are biblical angels.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pvt.Scott posted:

Frankly, I wouldn’t fault someone for shooting at the lovecraftian horrors that are biblical angels.

I love how every popular painting of angels is these basically a nonthreatening human with big, feathery wings, but in the Bible the uniform reaction to seeing an angel is to soil oneself in terror and run away.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Clearly they should have called him the Van Two And A Half Meter Giant :haw:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I learned about a new definitely real creature today, the Crocobeaver Afanc, which lives in certain Welsh lakes. The picture makes it look like some kind of gargantuan behemoth but it's just a lil' fella who's small enough to sit on peoples' laps :3: but also strong enough to crush them by mistake :saddowns:

That's adorable. That is the sort of cryptid I would love to find.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
Yeah there's a reason the first words angels say is usually something like "Be not afraid." Because gently caress, wouldn't you be if wheels within wheels covered in eyes and on fire started talking to you?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Gigas posted:

Yeah there's a reason the first words angels say is usually something like "Be not afraid." Because gently caress, wouldn't you be if wheels within wheels covered in eyes and on fire started talking to you?

OH poo poo A NEW POKEMON

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

OH poo poo A NEW POKEMON

I choose you, Sahaquiel!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Hygiene posted:

I choose you, Sahaquiel!

that's just a loving Stand, what in god's name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Uziel is just a Micro Uzi that is covered in wings and eyes and is on fire and is also thirty feet tall.

E: Uziel means the power/strength of god and the Uzi firearm got its name from its creator, a man named Uziel. Uziel is an archangel tho

Pvt.Scott has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Oct 8, 2019