Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Stickfigure posted:

Are we sure that people idolize "bad" protagonists because they're protagonists and not because they do cool but immoral poo poo that a properly socialized person is unable to do? Like, did people idolize, say, Paul Blart the mall cop? Or like Observe and Report guy?

I don't think we know, which is itself bad. If film makers were broadly inconsistent in their understanding of the kuleshov effect, that would massively hamper film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FFT posted:

Checked further, Robertson has the illustrator credit on the credits page, no mention of Braun.

Cover by Robertson and Aviña, colorist I guess?

Yeah, that's the colorist

This is the dumbest derail itt lmao

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Tulip posted:

Communication is a two way street. If you one person out of a hundred misinterprets your satire as sincere, that's probably on them. If 90%+ of the people misinterpret your satire as sincere, well.

The problem with this line of thinking is that a lot of people are actually really bad at recognizing satire.

https://www.niemanlab.org/2019/08/maybe-you-know-that-article-is-satire-but-a-lot-of-people-cant-tell-the-difference/

on the topic of movies everyone now a days will tell you that Starship Troopers is obviously a satire but when it was released it flew right the gently caress over a bunch of people’s heads including critics as well. Roger Ebert famously misses the point entirely even though he recognized the satire inherent in Robocop. Satire is extremely tricky because even if you think you’re being blatantly obvious about it there’s a solid chance it’s going to missed by a large number of people.

Ghosthotel has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Oct 5, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Roger Ebert was an idiot.

This is going to be emptyquoted and I don’t care.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

goons never gonna let go of that time he said video games werent art

(he was wrong there too)

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
The CEO of my company once proudly declared that he went into finance because of Wall Street and that the movie changed his life.

He also apparently used to hang around protection rackets before that so I guess that's a mild improvement?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Honestly the problem is less the sheer badness of his opinions and more the weight society gave to them.

He was treated like the Noam Chomsky of film.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
With a few exceptions, Roger Ebert was a very good film critic. Like most people who are good at things though, he sucked at other things. One of those things was being a video game critic.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

His review and love for Cosmology of Kyoto is pretty cool though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/Whatapityonyou/status/1180488513919303685?s=20

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ebert, 1982 posted:

"The Thing" is a great barf-bag movie, all right, but is it any good? I found it disappointing, for two reasons: the superficial characterizations and the implausible behavior of the scientists on that icy outpost. Characters have never been Carpenter's strong point; he says he likes his movies to create emotions in his audiences, and I guess he'd rather see us jump six inches than get involved in the personalities of his characters. This time, though, despite some roughed-out typecasting and a few reliable stereotypes (the drunk, the psycho, the hero), he has populated his ice station with people whose primary purpose in life is to get jumped on from behind. The few scenes that develop characterizations are overwhelmed by the scenes in which the men are just setups for an attack by the Thing.

That leads us to the second problem, plausibility. We know that the Thing likes to wait until a character is alone, and then pounce, digest, and imitate him--by the time you see Doc again, is he still Doc, or is he the Thing? Well, the obvious defense against this problem is a watertight buddy system, but, time and time again, Carpenter allows his characters to wander off alone and come back with silly grins on their faces, until we've lost count of who may have been infected, and who hasn't. That takes the fun away.

"The Thing" is basically, then, just a geek show, a gross-out movie in which teenagers can dare one another to watch the screen. There's nothing wrong with that; I like being scared and I was scared by many scenes in "The Thing." But it seems clear that Carpenter made his choice early on to concentrate on the special effects and the technology and to allow the story and people to become secondary. Because this material has been done before, and better, especially in the original "The Thing" and in "Alien," there's no need to see this version unless you are interested in what the Thing might look like while starting from anonymous greasy organs extruding giant crab legs and transmuting itself into a dog. Amazingly, I'll bet that thousands, if not millions, of moviegoers are interested in seeing just that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Didn't the thing not do amazing in theaters and it's become a classic in the intervening years or am I remembering wrong

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

christmas boots posted:

With a few exceptions, Roger Ebert was a very good film critic. Like most people who are good at things though, he sucked at other things. One of those things was being a video game critic.

he loved himself some titties tho

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Didn't the thing not do amazing in theaters and it's become a classic in the intervening years or am I remembering wrong

nah that is basically correct.

shows how subject and useless art is as a descriptor is tho.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah.

Ebert was far from the only person who failed to recognise its greatness.

It’s still an :allears: moment to read his review today.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Platystemon posted:

Yeah.

Ebert was far from the only person who failed to recognise its greatness.

It’s still an :allears: moment to read his review today.

Yeah I just wanted to make sure I was remembering correctly, he wasnt like this weirdo going AH gently caress THIS TRASH about something everyone loved

Tbh he probably hated it because there were no titties

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he loved himself some titties tho

who among us

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Yeah I just wanted to make sure I was remembering correctly, he wasnt like this weirdo going AH gently caress THIS TRASH about something everyone loved

Tbh he probably hated it because there were no titties

Unironically probably correct, and given what horror audiences at the time were used to and expected, this probably explains the audience reaction too.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Eberts review of whatever that was like yeah movie was whatever, killer tits tho, is probably the Pinnacle of the written word

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Unironically probably correct, and given what horror audiences at the time were used to and expected, this probably explains the audience reaction too.

Ebert had some hangups about scary or gory movies sometimes. Sometimes he was able to recognize their quality despite his squeamishness, other times no.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Also, the reason that using violence to code people as "bad" so often fails to get the point across in movies is because violence isn't actually bad in that way. This is why so many anti-war movies fail to be anti-war, because they attempt to use violence to shock and disgust the viewer, and thus hope to create an aversion to war, but humanity will never have an aversion to violence.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/1180496231241416706?s=20

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/1180500634010710017?s=20

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ebert once wrote up, early in his career, attending a Saturday matinee showing of Night of The Living Dead where most of the audience was kids deposited in the theater so their parents could get a couple of hours free to do some shopping, and brother, him describing the sheer chaos as he waited for the movie to start, and then the stone cold shock of a bunch of like six to ten year olds as the movie really settles into the unsettling, more than makes up for any misfires he had critically as his career went on.

Also, his review of North.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I was lucky enough to see night of the living dead without it being spoiled ahead of time, it's one of those movies people just don't like to spoil generally, and sitting in my dark livingroom at like 4am in the morning i was also just loving hammer struck.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Yeah Ebert was a great movie critic because he understands all of the artistic parts of movies, but the guy just loves movies (and titties) so he's willing to give them a break as long as they were still entertaining, which alot of movie critics don't bother with. He was my go-to guy before he died.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
His take on Lynch's movies were always interesting because i have the feeling that if isabella rosselini or patricia arquette were properly stacked he wouldve added a couple stars on that alone

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ebert wasn't just about the size, see e.g. the Rapa Nui review for evidence.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Tony murders his best friend just for dating his sister.

yes he does and it's not portrayed as a good thing, since he does it in the latter part of the movie when he's falling apart mentally
I mean he's a criminal, he's not out there building kindergartens and soup kitchens but within the confines of the criminal life he's shown to be an honorable hoodlum
of course that's crap, I know it and you know it but I'm talking about the onscreen persona

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/LukeEclair/status/1180606108202864640?s=20

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

christmas boots posted:

This isn't even made up. He actually has a license to gently caress.

Should have given one to Anakin. He was one of a dying species too.

The Jedi :smuggo:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
even as a not-too-bright teenager i understood starship troopers was satire. the "everyone's doing their part!" scene with kids crushing bugs with their feet and their mothers excitedly jumping and clapping was extremely on the nose. i *did* have to explain it to a few people though. hmm

i also argued with my english teacher that saving private ryan being violent and gross was a good thing because movies should show what war really is, something gross and violent filled with pointless deaths that can and should be avoided at all costs.

idk what more the directors could have done without breaking the fourth wall and having an actor look at the camera and say "war is bad you morons"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ghosthotel posted:

The problem with this line of thinking is that a lot of people are actually really bad at recognizing satire.

https://www.niemanlab.org/2019/08/maybe-you-know-that-article-is-satire-but-a-lot-of-people-cant-tell-the-difference/

on the topic of movies everyone now a days will tell you that Starship Troopers is obviously a satire but when it was released it flew right the gently caress over a bunch of people’s heads including critics as well. Roger Ebert famously misses the point entirely even though he recognized the satire inherent in Robocop. Satire is extremely tricky because even if you think you’re being blatantly obvious about it there’s a solid chance it’s going to missed by a large number of people.

My colleges humanities departments have a rotating speaker series where every month a different professor gives a talk at a local bar on whatever they want, and everyone gets free food.

One of the professors gave his entire talk about how Starship Troopers obviously isn't satirical, because it doesn't wink at the camera, and that's what satire is.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tunicate posted:

My colleges humanities departments have a rotating speaker series where every month a different professor gives a talk at a local bar on whatever they want, and everyone gets free food.

One of the professors gave his entire talk about how Starship Troopers obviously isn't satirical, because it doesn't wink at the camera, and that's what satire is.

like... as a satirical take on that sort of take?

probably not I guess

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Suspicious posted:

even as a not-too-bright teenager i understood starship troopers was satire. the "everyone's doing their part!" scene with kids crushing bugs with their feet and their mothers excitedly jumping and clapping was extremely on the nose. i *did* have to explain it to a few people though. hmm

i also argued with my english teacher that saving private ryan being violent and gross was a good thing because movies should show what war really is, something gross and violent filled with pointless deaths that can and should be avoided at all costs.

idk what more the directors could have done without breaking the fourth wall and having an actor look at the camera and say "war is bad you morons"

I've had some fashy teens tell me they hated Starship Troopers because it made the soldiers seem like clowns, which is interesting.

TBH I don't really have an answer as I'm not, you know, a professional film maker. Rick & Morty gets incredibly close to looking you in the eye and saying "Rick is a defective wastrel who chooses to hurt the people around him out of selfishness" and it's basically just meme'd. The most interesting comparison I've seen is that American History X is popular among Nazis, but The Producers isn't.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

war and violence are symptoms, not causes, any attempt to engage with them without this understanding is flawed at best and propaganda at worse

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LGD posted:

like... as a satirical take on that sort of take?

probably not I guess

nah I asked afterwards, and wanted to make sure he was talking entirely about the movie, and he was.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I liked the Ebert review of the Mummy where he says "it's trash, and I love it".

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ebert thought alien, blade runner, the thing, the terminator, and countless other classics were stupid and bad (with his own hot takes) when they came out, and only reversed his views once he realized refusing to do so would damage his credibility (and rightfully so) among subsequent generations later on

He’s never been that smart

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
that’s sad it’s okay to dislike a movie others like stick with your opinions, you aren’t gonna get fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

whole lot of ted ralls up in here