Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

This level of developer laziness or passive aggressiveness is stunning. I aspire to live on this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That must have been done on purpose.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

bobmarleysghost posted:

That must have been done on purpose.

I would charitably call it "lack of foresight". The reservation system itself is old enough that it was coded with lots of little weird space/memory saving tricks, because everything was on slow-rear end dialup and every kb sent counted. So for instance, the product data works on a rolling 10-year period, with 2020 replacing 2010.

Best guess is that the dev who wrote the data export just didn't think about how it would work when the year rolled over, because the reservations system itself doesn't care.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
"Nobody's going to still be using this piece of poo poo into the next decade".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A friend of mine once told me about a filing system he'd developed back in the 80s that would encode a document's relevant date into its 8.3 format filename. He managed this in part by using a single character for the month, so like a = January, b = February, and so on.

I asked him "What about years with more than 26 months in them?" And for one brief, delicious moment his face registered horror

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Data Graham posted:

A friend of mine once told me about a filing system he'd developed back in the 80s that would encode a document's relevant date into its 8.3 format filename. He managed this in part by using a single character for the month, so like a = January, b = February, and so on.

I asked him "What about years with more than 26 months in them?" And for one brief, delicious moment his face registered horror

FalsehoodsProgrammersBelieveAboutEdgeCases.txt

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Data Graham posted:

A-L is month, MNOP is quarterly statements, Q-Z are year ends starting with Q=1985. What do you mean all the old statements are getting erased 15 years later?

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
There definitely was not a tiny network outage today.

I most certainly did not forget a lab switch was hooked up to the main network.

And in no way did I start messing around with STP, making the switch root.

And I did not reboot the switch when I was done, cause that would have caused an STP re-election.

Oops. Luckily, no one got mad.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

BadMedic posted:

And I did not reboot the switch when I was done, cause that would have caused an STP re-election.

Every time I think about it, I'm kind of amazed at how infrequently stuff like this happens.

I am daily doing things that if I do slightly wrong, can cause stuff like total network outages, or entire applications to go down; most of us are. It's kind of a miracle that stuff is up as much as it is.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanatosian posted:

Every time I think about it, I'm kind of amazed at how infrequently stuff like this happens.

I am daily doing things that if I do slightly wrong, can cause stuff like total network outages, or entire applications to go down; most of us are. It's kind of a miracle that stuff is up as much as it is.

I often think about how as much as we try to architect for failure and plan for mistakes IT is often just such a house of cards waiting for one tiny puff of air to knock it over. That everything works as well as it does is shocking and I don't think users generally get just how many things have to work together well for them to be able to sign into email or something.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Our job is to trick rocks into thinking. I forget where I first heard that, but it sums it up pretty well.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Our job is to trick rocks into thinking. I forget where I first heard that, but it sums it up pretty well.

We capture lightning in rocks and trick them into thinking.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
https://mobile.twitter.com/daisyowl/status/841802094361235456?lang=en

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SlowBloke posted:

"Make a ps script to create each dyn group, with logging so you can be able to redo in case of failure or azure ad deletion."

This is what i think he meant

That, and a reminder that get-content/foreach is your ticket to productivity.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The variant I saw recently was "Teaching rocks to think was a bad idea"

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No greater truth written.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh cool it's apparently OK to not know what to do next on a ticket and just leave it sitting in your queue for a week and not ask for help or let the requestor know what's going on. Who knew!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Welp one of the newer Windows updates, KB4524147, which was supposed to have a fix for the print spooler issues that a previous update caused, has actually made the problem worse. It has now broken the print spooler on machines where the previous update didn't break it. And for good measure has also broken the start menu on some machines.

Came in today to 2 of our branch locations unable to print anything at all, from any machine.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft, welcome to the resistance

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I had to reboot my work laptop AND the printer to get some poo poo to print, so this explains a few things...

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Right now the only workaround is to uninstall the broken updates... or switch your printer drivers to Type 3. Type 4 will cause the spooler to crash repeatedly.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Aragaith posted:

I miss that machine with it's 8 inch floppies and the ancient plotter that effectively had ink pens for its ink system.

I worked with one of these. I’ve never been so mesmerized than I have when watching the robot arm scroll back and forth and up and down as it drew my massive network diagrams and (later on) Eve Online star maps.

I worked with one that used static electricity to hold the paper in place as the pens moved over it and another that had a loose sheet of paper over a roller that moved the paper back and forth under a pen.

This things were pretty cool. You know, for printers.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Welp it appears this same update is also causing no boot issues.

I have one bricked machine. Gonna have to reinstall, repair won't work.

Ugh.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Can somebody link the post the latest title came from?

Somebody at my company earned infamy on a customer conference call. He was looping some new people into the bridge line and misdialed, reaching a phone sex operator and pulling them directly into the call.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

BadMedic posted:

#s3outage2017

#dynamoDBoutage

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I do wish people would replace 'I had to reboot to get x to work' with 'I had to mask the problems to get x to work, by rebooting', since that's effectively what they're doing.

As an example, I was struggling with pxebooting to an NFS-shared filesystems over the weekend - specifically, I couldn't change passwords when a machine was NFS booting from an installation, but it'd work fine when I chrooted into installations root folder and changed the password that way - it kept claiming that the operation wasn't supported, and (d)tracing revealed that it was the a file-locking syscall (flock()) that was failing.
So I looked a round a bit, and it seemed like most solutions on Unix-like platforms involve mounting with nolock as on option (FreeBSD is called nolockd). What this means is that locking is controlled locally instead of the server, but if a file should be touched on the server while it's locked locally, you instantly get both client-side and server-side corruption of the file (even on a filesystem like ZFS, because ZFS gets told to write corrupt data).
The right solution at least on FreeBSD, meanwhile, is to run lockd on both the client and the server. Windows and Linux seems to require NetworkLockManger which is an entirely different kettle of fish.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

D. Ebdrup posted:

I do wish people would replace 'I had to reboot to get x to work' with 'I had to mask the problems to get x to work, by rebooting', since that's effectively what they're doing.

I've been struggling with this at work for years. Our low-level support agents often go to "you need to reboot" as a plausible way to get people off the phones, no matter how many times we tell them not to. We even tried writing them up for suggesting reboots when it wasn't necessary.

It ended up helping us get a paper trail to get rid of a couple of particularly lovely agents, but had absolutely no effect on those who were otherwise good at their jobs. They'd get a write-up, keep their heads down for a while, and when it expired, start rebooting poo poo again.

I've given up.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
lolol.. The official Microsoft recommended action to "fix" the printer problems they caused with this latest update is to reboot and try again. And then downgrade your printer drivers.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Printing deprecated, how will old people read email now?!?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Rexxed posted:

Printing deprecated, how will old people read email now?!?

Fax

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I've been struggling with this at work for years. Our low-level support agents often go to "you need to reboot" as a plausible way to get people off the phones, no matter how many times we tell them not to. We even tried writing them up for suggesting reboots when it wasn't necessary.

It ended up helping us get a paper trail to get rid of a couple of particularly lovely agents, but had absolutely no effect on those who were otherwise good at their jobs. They'd get a write-up, keep their heads down for a while, and when it expired, start rebooting poo poo again.

I've given up.
Yeah, I can see how that might drive you up the wall. Heck, I used to do tech support once upon a time, and the person who had the most handled calls was one who would consistently just tell people to reboot stuff at random (I would overhear this every so often, but this was a time before call recording became normal, so there was never a boss around to witness it).

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Our helpdesk's present "fix all the things" is to run gpupdate and escalate when that doesn't do anything.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Our helpdesk's present "fix all the things" is to run gpupdate and escalate when that doesn't do anything.

i love it when people troubleshooting method is basically doing religious incantations at the heretical machine. if their list of prayer commands does not work then the Mystery must be escalated to senior priesthood

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nuclearmonkee posted:

i love it when people troubleshooting method is basically doing religious incantations at the heretical machine. if their list of prayer commands does not work then the Mystery must be escalated to senior priesthood

Look the Machine Spirit is temperamental and I'm not gonna get executed by the Inquisition for going off-book.

EDIT: I typed a command wrong and now a deamon has been summoned, escalating to Astartes Desk.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 7, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Our helpdesk's current troubleshooting method is to refuse to investigate reported systemic issues until enough people complain.

It doesn't matter how reproducible the issue is, it doesn't matter if the NOC alarmed on it, they won't escalate to the SMEs until they get 5 user complaints.

e: I've taken to just lying to them about the scope of problems just to make them act on it. My boss will complain all day about my methods, but there's no room to complain about my results.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 7, 2019

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Please censor the F word, thank you

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

Our helpdesk's current troubleshooting method is to refuse to investigate reported systemic issues until enough people complain.

It doesn't matter how reproducible the issue is, it doesn't matter if the NOC alarmed on it, they won't escalate to the SMEs until they get 5 user complaints.

e: I've taken to just lying to them about the scope of problems just to make them act on it. My boss will complain all day about my methods, but there's no room to complain about my results.
It's impressive what meaning can be had from a dog going *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Gpupdate /force has been our helpdesks go to first step for years. The other side of that is our group policies are so crazy it actually works a lot of the time to get things working again. :(

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Honestly we have so many computers that are left on for a week with a dozen people logged in, half assed custom apps that leak memory everywhere, and people running five hundred suspicious browser windows at once that rebooting is the only solution to most of our dumb problems. I mean training and decent programmers would also work but we're not doing that so reboots it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's impressive what meaning can be had from a dog going *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

The olfactory meaning being 'maybe we shouldn't feed the dog bits of leftover pizza'.