Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

In my heart, everywhere is Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

It's not like a rifle couldn't shoot down a plane, if nothing else most planes didnt have armoured windscreens and a .303 through the pilot's skull would most likely prove efficacious.

And, with the liquid-cooled engines used on most front-line aircraft in Europe in the first half of the war, a single bullet hit in the radiator, coolant pipes or expansion tank would put the aircraft into 'crisis' mode. It may not be much use in stopping a plane that's strafing you at that moment, but you're making the pilot immediately think 'poo poo, that gauge is shooting up the scale and there's glycol all over the windscreen. I've got a few minutes until the engine dies!' There were Spitfires that were forced down during the Dunkirk evacuation that had to land on the beach because they took a single rifle-calibre bullet to the cooling system, some from ground fire and some from enemy aircraft.

I remember reading a USAAF document comparing the P-40 and the P-51/A-36 in the ground attack role, and concluded that the older one was worth keeping around in front-line service, partly because it suffered much lower rates of mechanical damage from ground fire. An analysis of the damage taken by returning aircraft showed that most took hits around the underside of the centre section. This was exactly where the P-51 had its radiator, plus the long pipes going to the engine, while the P-40 had its cooler group tucked up in its 'chin' at the front. The conclusion was that most soldiers firing from the ground didn't lead or elevate their shots enough so, aiming for the engine, their shots went behind and hit the middle, where the P-40 had its armoured and self-sealing fuel tank.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

In addition to the small chance of damaging or downing an airplane, it was probably good for morale and discipline to have a drill that wasn't "oh poo poo we're hosed oh poo poo everyone run oh poo poo oh gently caress oh god Nazi victory is certain"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

hello old chap, precise rifle fire is exactly what's needed to give jerry planes the business

i've found just the informative video to make it clear

Spike Milligan once downed a plane just by shouting at it

quote:

One freezing dawn we were awakened by a Lockheed Lightning repeatedly roaring over our camp.
“Go and ask that bastard if he’s going by road,” says Edgington.
I got outside just as the plane made another drive. I shouted “Hope you crash, you noisy bastard.”
The plane raced seaward, hit the water and exploded. I was stunned. The gunners emptied from their tents to watch the flames burning on the sea.
“Poor Sod,” said a Gunner, and he was right.

, probably.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh god, I wonder if any of those Canadians died at Dieppe in those films :gonk:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well. Can anyone tell what unit they are from? Don't know how easy to spot Canadian/Commonwealth unit badges are. Dieppe would be 2nd Canadian infantry. Though I'm not sure if regiments and such were often attached and detached from divisions in the Canadian army, so it's possible that knowing their regiment might be more useful if one really wanted to know...

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 6, 2019

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

bewbies posted:

I was gonna write pretty much exactly this.

"Shooting" was actually pretty close to the very end of competencies for a fighter pilot. Starting the plane was hard. Taxiing and taking off were hard...very hard in some planes. Flying in a formation, maintaining your aircraft, and navigating were hard. Maneuvering was hard. Landing was hard. Just being able to do all of that well enough that you were more of a danger to the enemy than yourself and those around you took months of training. Flight sims, for obvious reasons, focus way more on the "shooting" part of things than anyone ever did historically.

To that end, gunnery training tended to be very, very light for pretty much everyone but the US, and the RAF to a somewhat lesser extent, but only later in the war. It wasn't uncommon for a late-war German or Japanese pilot's first time firing live ammo to be in combat. The US though...had a 4-6 week long gunnery training block of instruction where pilots were firing live rounds daily, and sometimes even firing (frangible bullets) on actual aircraft instead of just towed targets (sidenote: flying a target aircraft was probably pretty high on the list of lovely wartime jobs)

Anyway, if you actually made it through all of the training and learning, AND found yourself in a situation where there were actually targets (note: this was a lot less frequent than one might think), AND had the necessary mental and physical talents to be able to actually hit something, you were really something of a rare commodity. But, if you did get to that point, you were a very, very effective weapon. And, this is why a relatively small number of pilots had a hugely disproportionate number of kills...the vast majority of pilots on all sides were just trying to not crash.
On the same topic, aren't modern day fighter pilots receiving like something like a 100 hours a year?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SeanBeansShako posted:

My gut says it's more likely that unit was wiped out at Hong Kong

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Monocled Falcon posted:

On the same topic, aren't modern day fighter pilots receiving like something like a 100 hours a year?

Depends on which country you're talking about. Some receive a lot less, some a lot more.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Elendil004 posted:

The map I made a few weeks ago wasn't high enough resolution so I created this monster.

https://easyzoom.com/image/154970

I'm going to add some annotations but am really curious what people can make out through my Grandfather's coloring.

For reference, this is a map my Grandfather made during WWII.

What's the colored-in part representing?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

BalloonFish posted:

The conclusion was that most soldiers firing from the ground didn't lead or elevate their shots enough so, aiming for the engine, their shots went behind and hit the middle, where the P-40 had its armoured and self-sealing fuel tank.

You'd never think that a pilot would be happy to be hit in the drat fuel tank, but...

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Don Gato posted:

Depends on which country you're talking about. Some receive a lot less, some a lot more.

It's also worth noting that simulators are a thing now, even if they're not a full substitute for the real thing.

Russia and China in particular have big problems with getting their pilots enough flight time.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

JcDent posted:

You'd never think that a pilot would be happy to be hit in the drat fuel tank, but...

Iirc Apache pilots also prefer taking small arms fire in the belly for the same reason.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JcDent posted:

I'd rather be leaking gas than leaking engine coolant, I'll say that much. It's the difference between "might not making it home" and "WILL NOT make it home".

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dance Officer posted:

Iirc Apache pilots also prefer taking small arms fire in the belly for the same reason.

Apache's protection scheme is unsurprisingly very optimized against ground fire, and the forward/main fuel tank is actually a very important part of said scheme. It is kind of a minor engineering miracle in itself, it not only is very effective protection against ground fire, but also is crash-proof, and has a protection function for the crew in the event of a crash also.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/OnThisDayNYT/status/917004156006789120

The Afghanistan War Operation Enduring Freedom is now old enough to enlist and fight in itself.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/OnThisDayNYT/status/917004156006789120

The Afghanistan War Operation Enduring Freedom is now old enough to enlist and fight in itself.

I saw an article a month or two ago about how the first kid born after 9/11 was going into boot camp.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

bewbies posted:

Apache's protection scheme is unsurprisingly very optimized against ground fire, and the forward/main fuel tank is actually a very important part of said scheme. It is kind of a minor engineering miracle in itself, it not only is very effective protection against ground fire, but also is crash-proof, and has a protection function for the crew in the event of a crash also.

Could you explain a bit more about it, please?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HK protestors continue to utilize medieval era siege weaponry. Once they get to trebuchets on the tech tree, the CPC better watch out

Dunno why you'd put nails on the part that comes flying back towards you tho

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think those are cable ties.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Age of Empires 4 looking good

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

One of the very reasons that radial engine planes like the Thunderbolt and the FW-190 were such darlings to ground attack squadrons was that ability of not having the engine immediately start seizing up once a single rifle round found its way into the radiator was, needless to say, pretty drat useful. (That and the engines ending up being some fairly decent improvised armor for the pilot as well, so much so that P-47 manuals outright list the engine as pilot protection next to the armor plates and bulletproof glass.)

Either that or you just do what the Soviets did with the water cooled Il-2 and just cover the important bits all over with armor.

Not the gunner though, his sacrifice is needed for the good of the Motherland :ussr:

Warad fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 7, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Of all the things not protected on the Il-2 was the radiator.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Warad posted:

One of the very reasons that radial engine planes like the Thunderbolt and the FW-190 were such darlings to ground attack squadrons was that ability of not having the engine immediately start seizing up once a single rifle round found its way into the radiator was, needless to say, pretty drat useful. (That and the engines ending up being some fairly decent improvised armor for the pilot as well, so much so that P-47 manuals outright list the engine as pilot protection next to the armor plates and bulletproof glass.)

Either that or you just do what the Soviets did with the water cooled Il-2 and just cover the important bits all over with armor.

Not the gunner though, his sacrifice is needed for the good of the Motherland :ussr:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This was always the unfortunate compromise. In the 1930s/early 40s liquid-cooled engines offered a performance advantage on account of their smaller frontal area and potential for a more streamlined nose shape, while advances in coolant technology (glycol) and aerodynamics opened up the possibility for smaller and less 'draggy' radiators. But you can't escape that fact that radiators have to be a certain size that scales with power output and they work by being exposed to the airflow, which always comes with a drag penalty, however small, and you can't wall it up entirely behind armour because you have to pass air through it. There's really not a lot you can do about that - the P-40 (by chance, because it was effectively a V12 conversion of the P-36 so it made sense to pack all the new bits into the nose so both versions were identical from the firewall back) had its coolers relatively safe in the nose, while the Bf109 had a twin circuit with a shut-off valve so if one radiator and its piping was shot the pilot could shut it off and, at least, limp home on reduced power with the remaining one.

Towards the end of the war advances in aerodynamics and turbo/supercharging started to tip the balance back in favour of the air-cooled engine. Most notably with the Fw190 and its very efficient engine cowling arrangement, but also the P-47 (which overcame the drag of its big engine mostly by being little more than flying turbocharger system with some guns on the front) and the Hawker Tempest/Fury. Air-cooled engines now had a much lower inherent drag penalty thanks to their more scientific cowlings, while liquid-cooled engines were being squeezed for more power, which meant they needed bigger radiators. There came a point when, what with the increasingly big radiators needed for a liquid-cooled engine and the improved aerodynamics of an air-cooled one, the advantage became minimal - you might as well cool the engine directly with cold air being blown over it by the prop and slipstream rather than extracting heat to a liquid coolant and pumping that coolant out to radiators to be cooled by the same prop/slipstream airflow. That the air-cooled engine was much, much more tolerant of minor hits was just another thing in its favour once the performance differences narrowed towards the end of the war.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not nearly as much as the pilot sure, but even the first models had some plates around the external oil radiator, (at least until the Il-10 just got rid of it) while the liquid was tucked in with the fuel tanks under the cowling armor.

I mean yeah it's not really going to help from a direct bullet coming straight on but it's better than nothing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JcDent posted:

Liquid is remarkably good at stopping bullets

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

Let's see what Wikipedia says:

Early beds were little more than piles of straw or some other natural material (e.g. a heap of palm leaves, animal skins, or dried bracken). An important change was raising them off the ground, to avoid drafts, dirt, and pests. 23-5 million years ago, before the advent of humans, apes began creating beds composed of a sleeping platform including a wooden pillow

Genetic analysis suggests that the human body louse, which lives in clothing, may only have diverged from the head louse some 170,000 years ago, which supports evidence that humans began wearing clothing at around this time. These estimates predate the first known human exodus from Africa, although other hominid species who may have worn clothes – and shared these louse infestations – appear to have migrated earlier.

Sewing needles have been dated to at least 50,000 years ago (Denisova Cave, Siberia) – and uniquely associated with a human species other than modern humans, i.e. H. Denisova/H. Altai. The oldest possible example is 60,000 years ago, a needlepoint (missing stem and eye) found in Sibudu Cave, South Africa. Other early examples of needles dating from 41,000-15,000 years ago are found in multiple locations, e.g. Slovenia, Russia, China, Spain, and France.

So the technology for making comfortable beds existed about 50k years ago.

Depends on how you define “comfort.” A thin mattress stuffed with straw and a thick mattress stuffed with feathers are both the best thing the wealthy could get in different places and time periods, but of radically different comfort.

I think medieval Europe would be the first time and place that the wealthy would be guaranteed to have a bed of the shape and comfort that we recognize today. The Early Modern period is when beds (rather than piling furs and blankets on the floor or a bench) would reach even farmers and start becoming the main place to sleep at home.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

JcDent posted:

What's the colored-in part representing?

I don't know, he died before I could ever ask him but my only guess is allied territory? You can see orange/red lines for various armies so I think they were filling things in as they go. Someone with more knowledge might be able to tell me if any of the lines or recon spots are accurate to the period.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

What submachine gun that can be field-stripped with only a bullet for a tool would USAAF student pilots have been taught to use in 1942?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HookedOnChthonics posted:

What submachine gun that can be field-stripped with only a bullet for a tool would USAAF student pilots have been taught to use in 1942?

The Thompson?

Some models can be stripped without even a bullet, IIRC.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Ooh, neat. For reference, and because I like the vernacular, the quote I want to understand more precisely is from a WAFS pilot, writing home about things she's learned: "Then we accumulate lessons in drill, manual of arms (with rifles) gas mask drill. Morse code, and even taking machine guns apart. [...] I can do a neat "present arms" or yank down a sub-machine gun using only a cartridge."

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 8, 2019

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Warad posted:

Look, if you're getting shot in the back from the air, your air cover hosed up and you're doomed.

If you're getting shot in the back from the ground, your pilot and his buddies hosed up the bombing run, and you need to save unit cohesion by getting rid of vengeful gunners.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Elendil004 posted:

I don't know, he died before I could ever ask him but my only guess is allied territory? You can see orange/red lines for various armies so I think they were filling things in as they go. Someone with more knowledge might be able to tell me if any of the lines or recon spots are accurate to the period.
Given the space left uncovered my best guess is that he was filling in areas that the allies were overtaking based on various reports, and there were places that were supposed to have German armies. That sector down in Bavaria was I think the only place the Allies didn't get to before Doenitz threw in the towel.

Warad
Aug 10, 2019

JcDent posted:

Look, if you're getting shot in the back from the air, your air cover hosed up and you're doomed.

If you're getting shot in the back from the ground, your pilot and his buddies hosed up the bombing run, and you need to save unit cohesion by getting rid of vengeful gunners.

You know, Il-2 gunners are often mentioned as the most infamous example as an instant death sentence but you don't hear much about gunners in Stukas or Japanese D3As, etc. There's a few stories of SBD gunners at least but nothing really about casualties. I can imagine they were in just as much danger, if not more so since even Il-2 gunners had as least a token armor plate directly in front of them. I have to ask if it was just more of a circumstancial issue (since Il-2 units would often find themselves having to fend off fighters alone) or since Il-2s were "tougher" than their peers they could get away with just losing a gunner while a Stuka, I can imagine, if the gunner went down, the whole plane probably was going down with him.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Warad posted:

since Il-2s were "tougher" than their peers they could get away with just losing a gunner while a Stuka, I can imagine, if the gunner went down, the whole plane probably was going down with him.

It's this, I think. Stukas can't operate without air superiority (and indeed didn't later in the Battle of Britain and later in the war in general because of losses) , Il-2s can.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I wonder how much of it is also just due to the amount of planes/missions flown.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The difference is that Il-2 gunners gained infamy by not being armoured at the start and the circumstances of their [Il-2s] use meant that combat losses were higher. You don't hear much about Stuka, SBD, or D3A gunners because not many, if at all, put pen to paper. I can't say I've deliberately looked for the stats on what gunner losses were for each nation in that regard, however.

Didn't Rudel only have 2 or 3 gunners in his career?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

zoux posted:

HK protestors continue to utilize medieval era siege weaponry. Once they get to trebuchets on the tech tree, the CPC better watch out

Have we all read Rogue Male? It's a thriller written in the immediate run-up to the second world war, about a sportsman who tries and fails to kill a lightly-disguised Hitler. It's an interesting book for a number of reasons, not least because the narrator is very morally conflicted about the actual ethics of the assassination.

For most of the book he denies his very personal motives, and tells himself he's just a sportsman looking for the ultimate challenge (to the extent that it's actually unclear if he even planned to pull the trigger, or if he just wanted to get the dictator in his sights). It's quite odd for a modern reader to have a sympathetic protagonist who thinks big game hunting is more moral than killing Hitler.

Anyway, the action climax of the film is when the narrator is holed up in a bunker somewhere in rural England. He uses his knowledge of the classics to build a miniature roman ballista out of the hide and bones of a dead cat.

There have been quite a few film adaptations, but as far as I know none of them took the body-horror cat-apault plot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Getting an interest in the Livonian Brothers of the Sword. Anyone here know more about them than can be readily googled? Some folks say they were a really rowdy bunch more into looting and killing each other and converts than killing the pagans, but others mention them as honorable and determined crusaders. Can y'all help me sort the wheat from the chaff?