Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The life fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Riptor posted:

Sounds fuckin dope imo

It was until my apartment manager caught me and sealed up the holes in the fence

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please

GPTribefan posted:

GY Simpsons

does that stand for "Graveyard Simpsons" (seasons 1-2 to ~10) as opposed to "Zombie Simpsons" (seasons ~10 and beyond)? heh

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I feel it should be acknowledged that between Golden Years and Zombie Simpsons there is the Jerkass Homer phase, which does have a few good episodes in it, but is definitely its own tone from the other two eras.

Neither era would have Homer get raped by a panda. (No I don’t like that episode)

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
People always say the golden age is 3-10, but I disagree. 8 is mediocre and 9 and 10 are just BAD. Seasons 1 and 2 are FAR better than 8 - 10.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Master Twig posted:

People always say the golden age is 3-10, but I disagree. 8 is mediocre and 9 and 10 are just BAD. Seasons 1 and 2 are FAR better than 8 - 10.

Dancin Homer sucked more than the average season 20 shlock

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

ikanreed posted:

No

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

Have you watched a Season 2X episode?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Season 2 is loving excellent

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sometimes "jerkass" Homer is good too. He's one in a lot of good episodes from the classic seasons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah homer is a huge rear end in a top hat early on in some episodes. I don't mean kinda sorta either

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Homer being a jerk and jerkass Homer aren't the same thing

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I literally can't remember anything about the Simpsons movie except Spider-Pig. I didn't even dislike the movie. I wasn't even on drugs, it wasn't bad enough to piss me off or good enough to remember.

i remembered that and bart's dick, sadly. i kind of want to watch it again, out of sheer curiosity, but i worry that it will be a waste of time whether it's on the good or bad side of neutral.

Iron Crowned posted:

Spider-Pig was never funny, but it was probably the funniest part of the movie.

that's pathetic, but it makes sense if it's true

ikanreed posted:

though i have not seen a single season 20 episode, i find this highly unlikely

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Master Twig posted:

Counterpoint: Season 8 is the best season and You Only Move Twice is the best episode. Season 9 has such highlights as Homer vs New York and Simpson Tide. Season 10 has Max Power and the Japan episode.

Meanwhile, while I'd never call it bad, Season 1 episodes are incredibly dull watching them today

E: Oh yeah and Homer's Night Out IS worst than a lot of zombie Simpsons episodes. Its just awful.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 10, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Imagine thinking the season with You Only Move Twice, The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie show, Hurricane Neddy, El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer, A Milhouse Divided, and loving HOMER'S ENEMY is a bad season.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

7 and 8 are my favorite seasons with 8 slightly taking it. Josh Weinstein and Bill Oakley were the best showrunners the show had.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

wait...they actually showed bart's wiener in the movie? :psyduck:

granted, it's been over a decade since i saw it, but i don't remember that (thankfully)

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Bart's Weiner was a funny gag. Dicks are funny, and they didn't overexploit it by having a character pop up be like OH WOW IT'S BARTHOLOMEW SIMPSON'S DING DONG! like they would have now.

Simpsons Movie 2: The Last Stonecutter is gonna have to up the ante and show Homer dong.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
The Skully era saw a major dip in quality but it's noticeably better than what came after it. I can still reasonably enjoy episodes from seasons 11 and 12 whereas I can't even bare to sit through five minutes of post movie, maybe that's just my late millennial nostalgia creeping in.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 10, 2019

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Master Twig posted:

every sentence in this post is a hotter take than the last. especially the last one.

i've made my complaints about S1 and 2 known earlier on in the thread, but i legit can't understand how anyone who is a fan of the simpsons would look fondly on those seasons. i don't even mean this in like elitist snob terms or anything either. put it this way. if you ask someone why they like the simpsons, they'll more than likely say that it's cause it's a series with good writing and humor, both of which are absent in S1 and 2. when people talk about their favorite episodes, you can expect to Homer Badman, you only move twice, Lisa the Vegetarian, Marge vs The Monorail and so on. these episodes are anywhere between seasons 3 and 10. what episodes in S1/2 do people even remember fondly? MAYBE 'bart gets and F'? and even then, it's not because it's a particularly 'funny' episode. the seasons are so vastly different that they might as well be completely different shows.

S1/2 are interesting to look back on and compare how the show started to what it eventually turned into. and that evolution actually makes the series even more fascinating to me, but aside from the novelty of an adult animated series in prime time, there's very little meat to those bones, imo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

2 is loving excellent and I'm sorry if you think otherwise. Your opinion is poo poo

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I agree that season 2 is awesome. It's different from what the show would become but it's amazing what a leap the show took from the extremely simple episodes of season 1. The tone of the show in season 2 is a bit darker and uh... existential? It's definitely deeper and more real than everything after.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

2 is indeed excellent. Season 1 is also better than most people give it credit for.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

literally getting mad about a 30 year old cartoon.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I feel like I'm going to explode here

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
There is a point where the show clearly stops giving a gently caress about the characters they had created. Most say it's the principal and the pauper episode, they might be right but I remember thinking when I originally watched it it was the episode where Bart takes ritalin

I just remember it feeling way out of character for everyone and it had a really mean tone to it.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

SeANMcBAY posted:

2 is indeed excellent. Season 1 is also better than most people give it credit for.

Season 2 is a better slice of life drama than the majority of proper ones that have graced network tv.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

2 looks great too.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Mr Interweb posted:

...you can expect to Homer Badman, you only move twice, Lisa the Vegetarian, Marge vs The Monorail and so on...

CodfishCartographer posted:

Imagine thinking the season with You Only Move Twice, The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie show, Hurricane Neddy, El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer, A Milhouse Divided, and loving HOMER'S ENEMY is a bad season.

My other hot take. You Only Move Twice is good, not great, and wouldn't even make my top 20 episodes. Homers Enemy and El Viage Misterioso are also pretty good, but also not all time classics. The rest listed there are perfectly fine episodes, but nothing special. The rest of season 8 is full of weird plots that feel like they're starting to dig deeper in the barrel for ideas, but not QUITE at the bottom yet.

Season 8 is where the characters start to not feel like the same characters we had grown to love. There's a distinct shift in the tone of the show that's hard to put into words, and it began that year. 2 is definitely better than 8. I may concede that 1 is then at least equal to 8.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Season 8 had some episodes, where Homer randomly picks up a new skill and it becomes his new job. I hate that. There is the boxing episode " "The Homer They Fall" and the Poochie episodes, which are fun, but are bad in later seasons.

And the Lisa and Marge episodes are forgettable at best (remember "Lisa's Date with Density"?). Some are terrible: "Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious" (musical with Mary Poppins), "My Sister, My Sitter" and ""The Old Man and the Lisa". I forgot about ""In Marge We Trust", which I remember being bad. The pretzel episode had some good scenes, at least. And the episode with Laddie sucked, too.

The rest are classics.

Randomly checking episodes of Season 11: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Simpsons_(season_11)
Oh man, is there even one good episode? I think this is when I stopped caring.

AstroWhale fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 10, 2019

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Master Twig posted:

My other hot take. You Only Move Twice is good, not great, and wouldn't even make my top 20 episodes. Homers Enemy and El Viage Misterioso are also pretty good, but also not all time classics. The rest listed there are perfectly fine episodes, but nothing special. The rest of season 8 is full of weird plots that feel like they're starting to dig deeper in the barrel for ideas, but not QUITE at the bottom yet.

Season 8 is where the characters start to not feel like the same characters we had grown to love. There's a distinct shift in the tone of the show that's hard to put into words, and it began that year. 2 is definitely better than 8. I may concede that 1 is then at least equal to 8.

Excuse me? Beer baron is one of the top 10 episodes of all time. Looking through the episode list, there are a bunch of absolute classics in that season.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
General Bullshit › What was the lowest point of the Simpsons this week?

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

abigserve posted:

There is a point where the show clearly stops giving a gently caress about the characters they had created. Most say it's the principal and the pauper episode, they might be right but I remember thinking when I originally watched it it was the episode where Bart takes ritalin

I just remember it feeling way out of character for everyone and it had a really mean tone to it.

For me, the one where Maude dies. For as horrible as Homer had been in some episodes before, he's utterly irredeemable in that one, and even when they try to do sad moments, all I can think about is how Homer basically killed Ned's wife and why isn't Ned doing anything about it?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AstroWhale posted:

"Simpsoncalifragilisticexpiala(Annoyed Grunt)cious" (musical with Mary Poppins)

It's Sherry Bobbins :catstare:

Min_sora posted:

For me, the one where Maude dies. For as horrible as Homer had been in some episodes before, he's utterly irredeemable in that one, and even when they try to do sad moments, all I can think about is how Homer basically killed Ned's wife and why isn't Ned doing anything about it?

This has always been my mark of where the Simpsons jumped the shark.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

AstroWhale posted:

And the episode with Laddie sucked, too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I935pBuwbXQ

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAv75JPw-QQ

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Okay, I remember those scenes now and they are funny. :argh:
I still wouldn't watch the whole episode.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

AstroWhale posted:

Season 8 had some episodes, where Homer randomly picks up a new skill and it becomes his new job. I hate that. There is the boxing episode " "The Homer They Fall" and the Poochie episodes, which are fun, but are bad in later seasons

This is not a real complaint. You like the episodes because they're funny and have sharp writing and the later season ones are dull and mindless. That shows that the premise of Homer going through a wacky experience is not inherently bad.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

They were also expecting the show to end any year at that point and were willing to explore and expand on the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hate how Homer gets a new job in every episode, something that only happens in the new seasons. Like this "Dancin' Homer" episode ...