Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Accidental Double Post

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Which combat arts did you guys like to use? I never didn’t find much use for most. I used Whirlwind slash for groups of trash mooks and animals, Mortal Draw for very big groups or groups of tough enemies like Interior Ministry Shinobi, and Ichimoji Double for highly telegraphed, punishable boss attacks like Owl’s jump attack and Sword Saint Isshin’s Ashina Cross.

Unless I was melting a group with Mortal Draw, prosthetic tools seemed like a better use of spirit emblems.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 11, 2019

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Darth Walrus posted:

Not true for the one in the Depths, who has very respectable poison resistance. Fire is more reliable.

Ah yes, had forgotten that. it's been a long time since I have played Sekiro. My bad.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
If you come from the gunfort idol (maybe needs gaachin's sugar up?) you can get a deathblow on that snake eyes too

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I unequipped them because I hated the button combination and even though I'd only occasionally accidentally use one, it was always in the most annoying moment.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think that's pretty much the average consensus for most people, with some people getting good mileage out of the lunge. the patch that bumped up the numbers on a bunch of combat arts came a bit after most people had finished up with the game, but one of the most affected was mortal draw, which wasn't the worst combat art on the board to begin with. spiral cloud passage was made to be slightly less absolutely disgustingly worthless, but the skill point costs is still too incredibly massive to justify its lack of utility. the ending new game plus combat arts come so late in the game that most people didn't bother with them (and i don't think they were particularly good either).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sorry forum difficulties meant my reply posted about 14 posts after the one i was responding to can i get a do-over

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Phantasium posted:

I unequipped them because I hated the button combination and even though I'd only occasionally accidentally use one, it was always in the most annoying moment.

I ended up having the opposite problem, doing a thrust attack when I wanted an Ichimonji. I found I had to very deliberately press L first.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
High Monk is less obscene post-nerf, but still a very respectable alternative to jumping over sweeps.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr Christmas posted:

Which combat arts did you guys like to use? I never didn’t find much use for most. I used Whirlwind slash for groups of trash mooks and animals, Mortal Draw for very big groups or groups of tough enemies like Interior Ministry Shinobi, and Ichimoji Double for highly telegraphed, punishable boss attacks like Owl’s jump attack and Sword Saint Isshin’s Ashina Cross.

Unless I was melting a group with Mortal Draw, prosthetic tools seemed like a better use of spirit emblems.

I used nightjar slash quite a bit until I got Ichimoji Double

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Ichimonji double with the ability to start it in the air is very good. The posture it recovers is actually kind of dumb. Its not quite so strong that it breaks the game but it seemed as good as combat arts get.

I didnt get usage out of anything else, but empowered mortal draw seems actually abusable vs bosses having seen it in action.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

bike tory posted:

Imagine if they changed DS1 to put like 6 dark knights in that area before taurus demon, doubled the number of silver knight archers in Anor Londo, tossed in a bunch of instadeath traps in Blight Town, etc. That's what SOTFS is like.
not!Ornstein was a fun, if easy early boss on standard DS2
on SOTFS, I literally cannot get to him because whoops there's a dragon and a bunch of Heide Knights and Old Knights who follow you into the dragon's area.

and that's one of the first areas.

There's some good changes (torches being more useful, for one), some weird changes (moving around most items), and then there's changes like that.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

on SOTFS, I literally cannot get to him because whoops there's a dragon and a bunch of Heide Knights and Old Knights who follow you into the dragon's area.

There's some good changes (torches being more useful, for one), some weird changes (moving around most items), and then there's changes like that.

its dumb that they didnt have a selectable toggle for wether or not to use the original layout or not.

i ADORED SOTFS having played thru the original run of ds2 a half dozen times. it was like a new game plus in itself with the new placements. much, much harder. and fun

are there any standout upgrades of the prosthetics that people would recommend? i know that the purple umbrella is great for the headless and spirit enemies but i dont know about the rest

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The dragon is a really easy fight you should have no trouble with after you get the timing down to dodge it's fire and run on to the platform

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

They don't chase you if you kill them

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

multijoe posted:

They don't chase you if you kill them
On that note, one of the things that blew my loving mind about finally picking up Sekiro is how readily convenient running past early tougher enemies you do not feel like dealing with is :byewhore: (Look, the guy with a spear's name was literally about hunting ninjas. That worried me more than the ogre even though the Ogre was surprisingly easy, okay?)

Then they further blow your mind with how they are all totally worth your while to kill beyond "If they are dead, I will no longer have to run away from them!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 12, 2019

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr Christmas posted:

I felt so proud of myself when I figured out that you can cheese the first phase and mostly cheese the second phase of Lady Butterfly with Nightjar Slash spam.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I felt so proud of myself when I figured out that you can cheese the first phase and mostly cheese the second phase of Lady Butterfly with Nightjar Slash spam.

I believe that has since been patched out. She is still very vulnerable to playing aggressive and dodging around her. Also shurikens when she is on a wire (I think always vulnerable with the phantom kunai, only vulnerable right before attacking with regular shurikens).

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

even if lady b blocks a shuriken toss, she will almost always disengage backwards and you can steer her right into a wall and get tons of risk free hits

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Cowcaster posted:

yeah, in any case, it was a one shot title that miyazaki was noodling around with on the side, so it’s not all that surprising to me that they don’t seem to have any plans for add-ons in the works

Best and most polished noodling side project of all time imo don't @ me

punk rebel ecks posted:

A little off topic, but I feel that I'm the only Soulsborne fan that doesn't care for Bloodborne much.

Start saying Bloodsouls instead and it will all turn around for you.

Regy Rusty posted:

Sekiro gave it a run for its money but Bloodborne remains the king

extremely :same:

It's not hard to believe at all. It's like PT Anderson whenever he talks about The Master.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
wrt combat arts, the only one that got any serious use from me was Shadowfall on SSI, because for some reason he had no AI to counter it at all so it was always a free gap close followed by free hits. I don't think there's any other combat art that could create a huge opening out of nowhere, at will, at range, with zero risk. You could do a lot with Ichimonji but if your timing was off you'd always get severely punished and High Monk was basically just a swaggier version of goomba stomping.

This was all before they addressed the Combat Arts in any patch, so not sure how it'd play out today.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dr Christmas posted:

Which combat arts did you guys like to use?

My first playthrough, I mostly messed around with the monk stuff because it was so fun, started using mortal draw on bosses I was having problems with, pretty vital to me beating dad and SSI the first times.

In any NG+ and charmless run since, pretty much excessively ichimonji, great for getting posture down and lets me save my emblems for fireworks.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord
Two straight hours of trying to beat (I assume) the final boss and I'm...slightly less bad than when I started but still pretty bad

I can get through the first two stages semi-reliably and then just get ganked halfway through the third. Either that or I just get wiped in the first two to an attack I should've seen coming. I hate you, Isshin.

Game good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hra Mormo posted:

wrt combat arts, the only one that got any serious use from me was Shadowfall on SSI, because for some reason he had no AI to counter it at all so it was always a free gap close followed by free hits. I don't think there's any other combat art that could create a huge opening out of nowhere, at will, at range, with zero risk. You could do a lot with Ichimonji but if your timing was off you'd always get severely punished and High Monk was basically just a swaggier version of goomba stomping.

This was all before they addressed the Combat Arts in any patch, so not sure how it'd play out today.

The shuriken-dash does that cheaper. It's really useful for approaching Old Man Isshin and landing the first hit without him dodging.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Not the Messiah posted:

Two straight hours of trying to beat (I assume) the final boss and I'm...slightly less bad than when I started but still pretty bad

I can get through the first two stages semi-reliably and then just get ganked halfway through the third. Either that or I just get wiped in the first two to an attack I should've seen coming. I hate you, Isshin.

Game good

Just punish the big openings and play defensively otherwise when he whips out that spear. The thrust, the leaping slam, and the charged spin attack are all great opportunities. Also, practice your lightning redirects in the Fountainhead Palace for the final phase.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Well I chose to serve Kuro and now I have to fight Big Papa. I put in the one attempt and he destroyed me - my MO in these situations is to go clear out side content I've been ignoring while dealing with my main boss anxiety. Only problem is uh, as far as I can tell, I don't have a whole lot to do right now. There is the Headless Ape and the Headless in Sunken Valley in the room after you go under the water. I can go take on the Headless Ape, but for the other guy I am running very low on Divine Confetti. Will I be able to get to a vendor that has an unlimited stock eventually? Also what are the pro strats for Owl? I've got all of the third tier of prosthetic upgrades (the ones that cost 600 sen) as well as the Sparking Axe, Ichimonji: Double, and Shadowrush.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

owl_pellet posted:

Will I be able to get to a vendor that has an unlimited stock eventually? Also what are the pro strats for Owl? I've got all of the third tier of prosthetic upgrades (the ones that cost 600 sen) as well as the Sparking Axe, Ichimonji: Double, and Shadowrush.

Vendors will start selling unlimited confetti after some point, don't remember when exactly. For Owl I'd recommend dodging more than parrying. Most of his attack strings stagger you for a long time and give him an opening to jump away and recover posture if you parry them, but if you dodge you'll get a big opening for a few slashes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
You need to get the Dragon’s Tally Board to get infinite divine confetti, so you have to make it to Fountainhead, which you can’t do before beating Owl.

Owl is a fun, difficult boss. The best opportunities to hit him are dodging around the side of him when he uses his heal blocker, and dodging around the side of him when he throws two shurikens and then does a jumping attack. Because he doesn’t have much “poise” or “hyper armor” or whatever you want to call it, it’s possible to get him into a chain of pressure where you attack him twice, he deflects you on the second attack and counterattacks, you deflect his counterattack and attack him twice, etc. This works especially well if you can back him into a corner so he can’t create distance and do one of his scarier sword combos.

Beware his fireworks and don’t use thrusting attacks.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

owl_pellet posted:

Well I chose to serve Kuro and now I have to fight Big Papa. I put in the one attempt and he destroyed me - my MO in these situations is to go clear out side content I've been ignoring while dealing with my main boss anxiety. Only problem is uh, as far as I can tell, I don't have a whole lot to do right now. There is the Headless Ape and the Headless in Sunken Valley in the room after you go under the water. I can go take on the Headless Ape, but for the other guy I am running very low on Divine Confetti. Will I be able to get to a vendor that has an unlimited stock eventually? Also what are the pro strats for Owl? I've got all of the third tier of prosthetic upgrades (the ones that cost 600 sen) as well as the Sparking Axe, Ichimonji: Double, and Shadowrush.

If you just want to cheese him and have it be done with, stay at mid (to as long as you can get in the battlefield) range, run in a circle constantly to avoid most of the horse poo poo, when he does the double shuriken followed by the leaping slash, or the other ground-based double slash thing where he lunges forward a lot, you can tighten in your circle, veer towards him, do a whirlwind slash, and hop/run backwards really quickly.

He's pretty much unable to do anything about this in either form, he just eats the vitality damage from the whirlwind and the recovery on the two slash moves is long enough to get out of the way of his Lloyd's talisman or other slash, whichever one he wants to follow up with, assuming he doesn't just do you the favor of hopping away from you.

Phase 2 is the same, you are baiting for the same moves, and punishing with Whirlwind still. When he vanishes, run around the edge until you can get a lock on again. The poison is not too much of an issue, if you're able to deal with him in general. Just wait for Lloyd's to heal, or do it instead of a whirlwind after he slashes.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CharlestonJew posted:

Vendors will start selling unlimited confetti after some point, don't remember when exactly. For Owl I'd recommend dodging more than parrying. Most of his attack strings stagger you for a long time and give him an opening to jump away and recover posture if you parry them, but if you dodge you'll get a big opening for a few slashes.

After Monk v. 2

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Blaziken386 posted:

SotFS was the first souls game I played and I ended up driving every heide knight to extinction because I died so much in that area.

And that's with Dragonrider glitch falling off the ledge the first time I met him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

What do you think the odds are that PS5 gets a 60fps bloodborne?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

No Wave posted:

Only if MGS4 gets remastered

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

No Wave posted:

There is apparently a very high profile remaster lined up as a launch title, 60fps Bloodborne would certainly fit the bill.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in addition to unlimited divine confetti showing up late in the game, there's also a prosthetic tool you get that renders the headless complete loving jokes. the rewards for defeating them aren't the most fantastic things in the world so you shouldn't feel obligated to defeat them when you first discover them.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

There is apparently a very high profile remaster lined up as a launch title, 60fps Bloodborne would certainly fit the bill.

Is bloodborne high profile? I always thought it was kind of a niche game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Sony announced the game sold 2 million copies as of September 2015 and the critical reception has been mostly positive.

2 million is definitely not niche.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I finally finished this game a while ago and maybe it's just because of the sort of social media I follow but I feel like a lot of the complaints I heard specifically leveled at the final boss were a little overstated. Like, he's hard. Definitely the most demanding boss in the game but... I beat it in I think just over an hour of straight attempts and I feel like I struggled way more with other things in the game than him. It felt really good and difficult but I dunno why people who got through the entire game to him seemed to have like, controller hurling frustration directed at him at that point after getting through everything in the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

From games are absolutely mainstream, and I think Bloodborne is sony's most successful exclusive by a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No Wave posted:

and I think Bloodborne is sony's most successful exclusive by a mile.

This comes up a lot but the numbers don't bear it out at all. Bloodborne sold 2 million. Uncharted 4 sold 15 million. Horizon and God of War sold 10 million.

From games very much ride the line of niche-mainstream. They're well known and they'll push fans to buy systems but in no way are they tentpoles.